Start by marking “Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)” as Want to Read:
Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)

Voice of the Violin

(Commissario Montalbano #4)

The fourth in the internationally bestselling series featuring the
Published June 29th 2004 by Penguin (first published December 12th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Voice of the Violin, please sign up.
Pamela Allegretto I found a used version of Death in Sicily: The First Three Novels in the Inspector Montalbano Series--They are: The Shape of Water; The Terra-Cotta…moreI found a used version of Death in Sicily: The First Three Novels in the Inspector Montalbano Series--They are: The Shape of Water; The Terra-Cotta Dog; The Snack Thief. There are other used books available on Amazon of this edition that contains all three books. I agree with Lyn, this 4th book does stand alone, but there is a progression of the main characters that is probably best enjoyed if read in sequence. It's also interesting to follow the progress of the authors writing style.

(less)
A Room with a View by E.M. ForsterThe Birth of Venus by Sarah DunantThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoUnder the Tuscan Sun by Frances MayesThe Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
Reading Italy
408 books — 184 voters
The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoIf on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo CalvinoRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
Italy
819 books — 418 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)
Richard Derus
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Publisher Says: The Sicilian detective, Inspector Salvo Montalbano, is on the search for the killer of a young woman. Among the suspects are her aging husband, a famous doctor; a shy admirer (now disappeared) and her lover - an antiques dealer from Bologna. However, it is a mysterious, reclusive violinist who holds the key.

The fourth in the internationally bestselling series featuring the irresistible Sicilian detective.

Inspector Salvo Montalbano, with his compelling mix of humor, cynicism,
Leslie
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leslie by: dad
Shelves: mysteries, italian
In addition to a very good 'whodunit', I love all the food references in these Inspector Montelbano books.
Marwan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I ever laughed when reading a novel. I mean , all the book that I've read have the thrill and the twists, but sense of humor, that's something you don't often find in mystery novels. In addition the writing is so smooth that makes you want to read more. I also liked the Italian food references, which made me search for them in the internet and wanting to try them.
The protagonist, Inspector Montalbano is an interesting character. And the events in the plot will make you engaged till
Sheila Beaumont
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth entry in the late Andrea Camilleri's delightful Inspector Montalbano series, set in Sicily. Like the previous ones, this mystery is complex and well-plotted, and there's a wonderful supporting cast of the inspector's eccentric friends and colleagues. I enjoyed the local color, and the frequent references to food made me hungry, as I do love pasta. There's also plenty of humor in these mysteries, especially since the introduction of Catarella in the second book. I'm glad to see ...more
Jim Fonseca
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
An Inspector Montabalno mystery in which the island of Sicily is the focus of the work. The harried inspector is surrounded by a bumbling staff straight out of Barney Miller, for those who remember that TV show. But our Inspector relaxes with beautiful women and exquisite Sicilian food, cooked by his housekeeper, or served in his favorite restaurants. In this mystery, a beautiful woman is attacked and murdered. There are several suspects and the most logical one is killed almost immediately. The ...more
Martin
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspector Montalbano is juggling the demands of his girlfriend Livia, the need to computerize his office, delicious meals, and solve a puzzling murder

description

Tiptoeing through a house at night
He couldn’t sleep. He tossed and turned, snarling himself up in the sheets. Around two in the morning, he realized it was useless. He got up, got dressed, grabbed a leather bag given to him some time ago by a house burglar who’d become his friend, got in his car and drove off. The storm was raging worse than ever;
Patrick Sherriff
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-and-such
I'm enjoying reading these in order, and now I've got through the fourth, the characters are becoming welcome visitors popping into my life. Montalbano is as moody, rude, but idealistic as ever. I liked how Camilleri gives his inspector seemingly insurmountable beaurocratic problems only for Montalbano to come up with ever more complex, illegal but highly moral solutions. My only quibble with this one was the ending turned into a kind of Agatha Christie talkathon featuring the great sleuth ...more
Lyn Elliott
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, italy
I enjoy the Montalbano books, where I find myself matching the descriptions of the characters and favourite places (restaurants, cafes, the beach), crime scenes and the police headquarters with the tv series.
This has many familiar threads, ill-chosen lovers, Sicilian heat, corruption and food. I have read this out of sequence so was not familiar with some elements of the story (a possible adoption, the current state of Montalbano's relationship with his absent love) Those things didn't matter
Nancy Oakes
Although this one is not quite as humorous as its predecessors, it continues Camilleri's most excellent writing and delves more into the characters previously introduced. This installment is much more focused on plot, although it does bring out Montalbano's more sensitive and compassionate side as he focuses on a most difficult personal issue carried over from events that began in The Snack Thief.

The story begins when Gallo, the Vigata station's official driver, picks up the Inspector to drive
Rlygirl
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This wasn't my favorite Montalbano book, but I'm still giving it 5 stars for great dialog and comedy. The only part that disappointed me was the reveal at the end. The character that actually committed the murder didn't surprise me, unlike other times when Camilleri did a stunning reveal. I would still recommend this book. You will laugh 70% of the time.
Pamela Allegretto
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is the 4th book in the Inspector Montalbano series, and so far it's my favorite. The writing and story-line are tighter. And my appreciation for the Inspector has grown. I have just ordered the 5th book in the series: Excursion to Tindari.
DeAnna Knippling
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. The clues here were much more deftly handled than in previous books, not that those were terrible or anything, but simply much better here. Montalbano and co. continue to be complex, asinine, funny, and brilliant.
Deanna
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I entered this series way down the line. That may ne why I was slow settling into it. Once I did I was won over most by the settings and atmosphere that settle you into an unfamiliar place that soon feels quite natural, touchable. The protagonist finally grew on me as well, and the rhythms of the later story. I wouldn’t mind trying another in the series.
Pamela
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-italian
Montalbano investigates the brutal murder of a young woman who has been setting up home in Sicily. His enquiries involve her husband and her lover in Bologna and a local admirer who seems to have disappeared, as well as a reclusive violinist who may have secrets to reveal.

Probably my favourite Montalbano story, this weaves together a compelling murder mystery and an intriguing sub-plot of corruption and politics. Montalbano's character, with its blend of cunning and volatility, dominates the
Pvw
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: detective, crime
Hey that was nice! I was expecting something that met the standard of many modern police detective stories, like the Dutch Pieter Aspe and Toni Coppers, or more internationally Donna Leon, Karin Slaughter, Nicci French and the like. Those are generally awful and have badly written dialogue. Camilieri, however, writes rather natural dialogues and one can even imagine real people actually talking, joking and discussing with one another in that manner.

In this story, a beautiful young woman is found
Monica
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Voice of the Violin" is the fourth book in Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Salvo Montalbano series. The plot in this book is stronger than ever and Montalbano and other recurring characters continue to grow and become move vivid. You can't help but fall in love with Montalbano and the rough exterior he presents in order to hide the caring and attentive cop he is inside.

Yet another aspect of Camilleri's books that i love is the fast pace. The books in this series flow so smoothly...never too many
Gayle
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cracking on with this series and enjoying every one. Can't put them down so they are finished very quickly!
Gary
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
It moves always, lightly but with power, sometimes. I like the style.
AC
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
wonderful little book. A bit slighter than the previous ones in the series, but just as masterful (in fact, more so) in execution. Camilleri é il maestro...
Judith Johnson
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable, the usual wit, Sicilian descriptions, characters, humour. Just one bone to pick with these novels: the loving descriptions of meals make me hungry!
Donna
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am 0bsessed with Inspector Montalbano
Liisa
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The_andreea
2.5 I read it on the buses of Sicily as I was travelling to places that even had “Montalbano tours” designed for fans of the character. I can’t say I have fallen under his spell, I was expecting a better written policier and even a more interesting inspector Montalbano. For the scenery I think I might enjoy more the tv series, which I look forward to seeing sometime.
Carol
May 20, 2017 added it
Best yet of this series, although I'm only on the fourth one!
Ayundabhuwana
Set in Sicily and focusing on our grouchy, irritable main character Inspector Montalbano, in this fourth book of the series (and my first book I've ever read in the series) we follow him and his team as he "accidentally" discovers a dead woman in a squeaky clean house.

I have never before read an Italian book and it's such a pleasure to read this small little mystery novel. It's quaint and the setting as well as the way of life of the characters here are very European that it makes me want to go
Artie LeBlanc
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
I enjoyed this book, in which solving the crime is almost incidental. Montealbano's humanity is clearly portrayed, and much of the plot revolves around conflict between various factions in the criminal justice system ("system"??) in Sicily. Characters are lightly but deftly portrayed. Recommended.
Rachel Hall
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what an unadulterated interlude The Voice of the Violin proved to be! Serving as my introduction to the highly acclaimed Inspector Salvo Montalbano series, I had been under the illusion that these novels would be rather dry affairs, perhaps because of the glimpses I have caught of the TV adaptations. It took a recommendation for me to take the plunge, see the error of my ways and be utterly beguiled by the charming, witty and colourful characters who fill the world of Camilleri. On occasions ...more
Karen
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, italy
There's a Renault Twingo referred to as having "committed suicide" when Gallo, the station's driver, he of the "Indianapolis Complex", slams into it in a spectacular example of mad driving that had me crying with laughter on page 4 of VOICE OF THE VIOLIN. Which is not a bad writing feat at all, in 4 pages you know that Montalbano's in a mood after a fabulous meal was interrupted by his nemesis Catarella. That his car's in the shop and he has to get to a funeral. That Gallo's a madman, and ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Salvo Montalbano, maverick policeman in the Sicilian backwater town of Vigàta, returns in this tale that will have you guessing nearly to the very end. As always, Montalbano gets to the bottom of the mystery -- in this case the suffocation of a knock-out blonde in her own home -- through experience, intuition, hard work, and, at times, lies, police misconduct, and other chicanery.

Watching Montalbano operate, whether as a policeman or an unwilling pawn in a political gamble, is like
Mary
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good book with some humorous spots in it. At the beginning it was very good, however more toward the middle it started to drag a little as Montalbano was continually searching for the killer. I thought the plot was very clever and enjoyed the Italian setting as I read it during my vacation to Italy. Plan to read more by this author.

• Carte Blanche
  • Hyperversum Unknown
  • Gently Down the Stream
  • Unto Us a Son Is Given (Commissario Brunetti, #28)
  • Testimone inconsapevole
  • Acqua Alta (Commissario Brunetti, #5)
  • Cabal (Aurelio Zen, #3)
  • Nada
  • Ratking (Aurelio Zen, #1)
  • Maigret et l'indicateur
  • Nozze per i Bastardi di Pizzofalcone
  • Landed Gently
  • Il telefono senza fili
  • Non è stagione
  • Dead Lagoon (Aurelio Zen, #4)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • La trilogie Fabio Montale: Total Khéops, Chourmo, Solea
  • Ah l'amore l'amore
Andrea Camilleri (born september 6, 1925 in Porto Empedocle) was an Italian writer. He is considered one of the greatest Italian writers of both 20th and 21st centuries.

Originally from Porto Empedocle, Sicily, Camilleri began studies at the Faculty of Literature in 1944, without concluding them, meanwhile publishing poems and short stories. Around this time he joined the Italian Communist Party.

Commissario Montalbano (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, #1)
  • The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2)
  • The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3)
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano #5)
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano, #9)
  • August Heat (Commissario Montalbano #10)
  • The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector Montalbano, #11)
“What do two women friends usually do when they see each other? We talked, we watched television, we listened to music Sometimes we did nothing at all. It was a pleasure just to know the other one was there.” 11 likes
“Moltabano, for a moment, felt moved. That astonishing, wholly feminine capacity for deep understanding, for penetrating one's feelings, for being at once mother and lover, daughter and wife.” 1 likes