Start by marking “The Retreat (The After Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Retreat (The After Trilogy, #1)

The Retreat

(The After Trilogy #1)

Earth is ruined. Humankind destroyed. And it’s old news.

Romy’s life is simple—for a genetically enhanced space soldier; pick up space junk with her four friends, and stave off the invaders fixated on stealing Planet Earth.

It isn’t much. But it’s temporary—only another 850 years to go, give or take.

When her crew tangles with a gulp-worthy alien mothership, Romy’s return
Published August 30th 2016 (first published August 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Retreat, please sign up.

Start your review of The Retreat (The After Trilogy, #1)
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
The best thing about St Clare is her INSANE level of versatility. So far from her, I've read two YA fantasy series, two adult paranormal series, and one YA sci-fi series (this one). All of them are very different from each other, but they have two things in common:

1) A fabulously satisfying romance with an awesome hero who's an alpha WITHOUT BEING A PRICK.

2) Simple, yet excellent writing that reels me in like I'm a fish on a hook and just does not let me go.

There's a small bit of OW drama here,
 Simply Sam ツ
***2.5 Stars***

I really loved the Ms. St. Clare's Tainted Accord series, so when I saw she had written a space/science fiction/dystopian series I knew I had to try it. I mean, I love all of those things when done well.

Boy, was I underwhelmed. I think there is a good idea here, but the writing felt very young and almost amateurish. I mean, the main group, or "knot", are soldiers in space defending Earth from an alien race. Sounds cool, right? Welllll, so far, and I'm 70% done with book 2 mind yo
Patrick Hodges
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having read the books in Kelly St. Clare's stellar Tainted Accords series, I was eager to jump on the first book in her new labor of love, The Retreat. I was honored to receive an ARC in return for an honest review.

Rosemary (nee Romy) was born in, and works in, outer space. She and four comrades, Thrym, Elara, Phobos and Deimos are the misfits of the workforce that cleans up space debris and fights off a vicious enemy known as the Critamal.

After a battle, she and the rest of her little group (w
Villains Do It Better
4 Stars!

I'm slowly trying to get through all of Kelly's books, and this one I have been putting off because I'm not a fan of science fiction but I was mildly surprised with how much I liked this book. I knew it would be good because all of Kelly's books are, so I definitely should have trusted I would love it no matter what genre it is, and should have read it sooner.

All of her stories are super unique and so different from each other and Kelly has the best world building. At this beginning, it
Booksnbrains
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
This one was ok. But I didn't go into this one expecting much so I guess that is a plus.
I personally really liked the characters and the companionship of knot 27. Additionally I really enjoyed the jabs and jokes as knot 27 went through puberty. However with that being said it took me quite a while to get used to the writing style. It had a disconnected feeling to it, and the author would time jump and then refer to what happened during the time jump. This left me sort of discombobulated at time
Hollie
Definitely young adult - the story concept sounded intriguing but I found myself not overly invested in this story or with the characters. I will likely give book 2 a shot.
Celestine
This is the first book in The After Trilogy, and I found it original, interesting, unexpected and about the mix I like between sci-fi details and romance. Like the Darkest Drae series that is co-authored by St. Clare, I would peg this series as young adult, but young adult with a bite. There is danger, some of which veers into sexual assault. And intense feelings. And some immaturity, which gets the most interesting sci-fi explanation I've seen yet. So, yes, it is young adult because the sex mov ...more
Kayla Howarth
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received an arc in exchange for an honest review**

Not being an overly large fan of sci-fi, I didn't really know what to expect while going in. I can honestly say that the sci-fi stuff was explained enough for me to understand but wasn't bogged down with the boring side of sci-fi, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Romy's genetically enhanced life is simple: Protect earth against an alien invasion while it recovers from global warming so humans could possibly reside there once again in the future.
Lola
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Retreat was a great read! If you're looking for a great YA dystopian, that's a touch different from most books in that genre this is a good book to pick up! After I read the first two books in Kelly St. Clare's The Tainted Accords series I decided to give The Retreat a try as I was curious how she wrote the dystopian genre. I have to say that The Retreat is very different from the Tainted Accords series, but I did really enjoy it.

The tone of The Retreat is a bit dark-ish, it does have some t
Mihlean
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4,5 stars

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of The Retreat from the Rachel E. Carter YA book club on Goodreads!

This is exactly how I like my sci-fi books to be.
A spunky MC, with an awesome group of friends (I totally got the one for all and all for one vibe, hell yes!!), experiencing dangerous, unknown adventures.

This incredible adventure takes place after Earth's global warming, that has destroyed Earth as we know. Romy, and her knot (her "crew"), Deimos, Phobos, Elara and Thrym, are soldie
Katy Haye
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a treat. An intriguing premise, lively characters and beautifully assured writing.

I loved the depiction of the relationships between the knot members, a cross between being friends and family ties. The dialogue was an absolute joy – so much said in few words. Other relationships were equally delightful – I was grinning constantly during the target-shooting episode with Romy’s new friends. And all the puberty references were snort-inducingly funny – a piece of total brilliance.

Kelly St C
Alexandra
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting start in a sci-fi trilogy full of suspense, drama, romance and heartbreak. At the beginning the world enfolds as it is in the future, after the clima change on earth made living there impossible. A knot of five young space warriors live their life in the orbit around and meet daily challenges and chores and I directly related to them, different as they are. It is much to learn and that might be boring - but it isn't because the author makes all those details interesting and show ...more
Louise White
Already a fan of 'The Tainted Accords', The Retreat by Kelly St Clare held me gripped until the very last page of what promises to be another amazing series. I loved learning through Romy's eyes about this realistic and imaginative version of our future Earth.
This futuristic Sci-Fi fantasy is packed with action, suspense, and the surprises just keep coming! Written in beautiful Kelly St Clare style, I simply can't wait until the next in the series.
Aletia
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably a 4.5, I really liked this book. It was a quick easy read and original. I found the main character a bit boring, but I suppose that is to be expected based on the circumstances. Definitely reading book 2.
John
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
***Disclosure: I received a free copy in exchange for a review.***

What's Good: a well-paced read that can keep you turning the pages. The premise is intriguing, even knowing the hammer's gonna fall. Once stranded upon Earth, things change in more ways than Romy and her friends could've imagined. Despite all the teen drama & angst that dominates the book it never gets too bogged down by it.

Dialogue, while usually stilted, is often funny. Houston, a medical doctor, is a walking rifftrack- always
SheReads
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know that feeling when you think you've already seen an author at the best and then you're WRONG?!? I do now. I loved Kelly St. Clare's the Tainted Accords series. As in, I was completely obsessed and am still chomping at the bit to get that fourth book. So I dove into this eagerly, thinking it would at the very least tide me over until then.

Well, it did more than that. It sucked me into yet another world with many more characters to fall in love with.

Romy is our spunky little heroine who
Nicki K.
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
While all of Kelly St. Clare's book aren't without flaws (though what books aren't), all of her books have been perfect fits for me. I can't even tell you how many times I've reread the first three Tainted Accords books, but it's at LEAST four times. I could gush about TA all day.

And now I have another series to be crazy obsessed over, with its sci-fi bad-assery and conspiracies and love-able characters galore! Like, seriously? Houston? Love him.

Though, I still hold the Tainted Accords oh so muc
Emily Sarah
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, dnf, try-again
I'm sorry but I DNFed 15%. This is a great idea for a book (hence the 2 stars instead of 1), and the premise sounds great, but being a geologist who's done extensive research about global warming, it just sounded hokey to me. I didn't care for just being tossed into the story with lots of slang words being thrown about, only to be explained later. It made reading and concentrating on the story very difficult.

That being said I greatly appreciate receiving a copy from the author and I voluntarily
E Geyer
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want more!!!

I am a huge fan of the Tainted Accords series by this author and was excited for this release. Sadly, I read this book so quickly that the wait for the next one will be quite long!!! Highly recommended and anxiously await more of this story. Warning, the cliffhangers are nail-biters!
Jay Collins
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
ah 2.5 to maybe 3 stars. Found it some what predictable at times and nothing really new or ground breaking, just your average book of this type. It did pick up at times and became enjoyable but not enough to put it in a sold 3 stars for me.
Lindsay
neat

I liked this book. I'm not sure if I like it enough to read the next one, due to the fact that it dragged in places making me want to skim. How often the word "knot" was used was VERY annoying. There wasn't enough interaction between Atlas and Romy for me to root for their relationship. None of the relationship seemed very substantial besides being told that they were. Except for maybe Phobos and Deimos and then Phobos and Elara. I liked the kooky doctor the most. There was a plot twist, and
Holly

Wow, wow, wow. What an action-packed adventure this book was! I love sci-fi of all types, whether hard sci-fi, space opera, sci-fi/fantasy mix, soft sci-fi, sci-fi “light,” whatever you call it - if it’s science fiction, I’m in. To be honest, I expected that this book would be more soft or “light” sci-fi, heavy on the romance, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how much actual science fiction there is here. Now, please don’t let that scare you away if you are not typically a sci-fi reader; t

Dávid Ujhelyi
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Danielle
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as part of a boxset, 10 YA books for 99 cents. So, I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. I've never read anything by Kelly St Clare before. I rated it 4 stars because although I ended up loving it, for me it started out really slowly. For awhile I actually thought it was going to be a DNF (Did Not Finish). I'm glad that I kept going because it ended up definitely being worth it. The storyline was really interesting and I liked the characters. I particularly liked the part abou ...more
Amy
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED A COPY FROM THE "RACHEL E. CARTER YA BOOK CLUB" ON GOODREADS.
Thanks to Kelly and Rachel for giving me this opportunity!

4 Romy Is Perfect Stars/5

Wow this book really surprised me! When I first started it, I’m not going to lie – it was hard for me to get into. There were multiple things that bothered me, such as the lingo that is thrown around straight from the start. It’s hard to get into a book if you have no clue what the author is trying to say. That was quickly resolved
Chase
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
First off just to get it out of the way: "I voluntarily reviewed a copy from the "Rachel E. Carter YA Book Club On Goodreads." Which I am grateful to have taken part in :)

I really enjoyed this book, it started out a bit slow for me, but once the action started it was a fast read.

The main character is Rosemary (Romy) who is part of a knot of 5 space soldiers tasked with protecting Earth from an incoming alien race. To make matters interesting, Earth currently uninhabitable due to global warming i
Alexa
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
Interestingly enough, this storyline is not as fast-paced as I thought it was going to be (until the end, but more on that later). Yet at the same time, it isn’t at all boring or what I’d call slow. It starts out pretty nice, actually, with a fun introduction to the crew you’ll be spending the next 300-or-so pages with, then moves into some action and suspense; but after that, excepting a few spikes, the overall feel is pretty even-keel for a dystopian. The va
the_queen_of_books24
Tracey
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED A COPY FROM THE RACHEL E. CARTER YA BOOK CLUB ON GOODREADS.”

This is the story of Romy and her team who have fought in a battle in space when their ship crash lands on the Earth which has been uninhabitable for over a hundred years, (so the researchers told them) what Romy finds is not what she expected.

Romy is injured and in a forest somewhere on Earth, while trying to locate her team when their ship broke apart in orbit as it crash landed she finds different animals and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Fallout (Dominion of Ash #3)
  • The Exiled (Dominion of Ash, #2)
  • Black Crown (The Darkest Drae #3)
  • Shadow Wings (The Darkest Drae, #2)
  • Cyan Toxin (Mixologists and Pirates #4)
  • Touched by Fire (Demons of New Chicago, #1)
  • Blood Oath (Darkest Drae, #1)
  • This Dark Wolf (Soul Bitten Shifter, #1)
  • Crown of Moonlight (Court of Midnight and Deception #2)
  • The Song of the Marked (Shadows and Crowns, #1)
  • This Broken Wolf (Soul Bitten Shifter, #2)
  • Amber Vial (Mixologists and Pirates, #1)
  • Sanctum (Blackwater Pack, #1)
  • Stolen Magic (The New York Shade, #2)
  • Troll Queen (Elven Alliance, #4)
  • Reclaimed (Shadow Beast Shifters, #2)
  • Rejected (Shadow Beast Shifters, #1)
  • The Queen's Crown (Court of Midnight and Deception #3)
When USA Today bestselling author, Kelly St Clare is not reading or writing, she is lost in her latest reverie.

Books have always been magical and mysterious to her. One day she decided to start unravelling this mystery and began writing.

The Tainted Accords was her debut series. The After Trilogy is now available.

A New Zealander in origin and in heart, Kelly currently resides in Australia with her

The After Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Return (The After Trilogy, #2)
  • The Reprisal (The After Trilogy #3)