Start by marking “The Ultra Mind Solution: Automatically Boost Your Brain Power, Improve Your Mood and Optimize Your Memory” as Want to Read:

A hidden epidemic races around the globe -- we can't see it or touch it, which makes it so dangerous. The invisible epidemic has led to the suffering of millions who spend billions on drugs, only to find they don't work. This is an epidemic of broken brains.

"Broken brains" go by many names -- depression, anxiety, memory loss, brain fog, attention deficit disorder, autism, and/>

"Broken
Published December 30th 2008 by Scribner (first published December 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultra Mind Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultra Mind Solution

Start your review of The Ultra Mind Solution: Automatically Boost Your Brain Power, Improve Your Mood and Optimize Your Memory
Skylar Burris
As I read “The Ultra-mind Solution,” I was continuously reminded of a joke a friend and I used to tell in the 80’s anytime a certain commercial for a Home Remedy book would come on television: “Have cancer? Try a banana!” Only in this author’s case, it’s more like “Have autism? Try a glutten-free diet in combination with eliminating all sugar and caffeine and all food additives, and don’t get within two feet of mercury!”

I almost hate to give this book such a low rating, because there is a great
thewestchestarian
May 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Better brain bull****. Instead of a critique, I present a rough synopsis. Your brain is busted!!!!! You are having trouble reading this review not because it is semi-articulate tripe but because your brain is buss’d!!!! You have stopped paying attention to this review and are thinking about your genitals not because it is a semi-coherent rant but because YOU BRAIN IS BUSS’D!!!!

How do you get your brain to work? Simply avoid the following: sea bass, football, white wine, prescription drugs, playing soccer, trans-fats, over-t

Lionkhan-sama
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lionkhan-sama by: Marcel
I cannot put into words how incredible this book is.
I plan on buying a copy for every single person I care about in life.

You can't not know this stuff. It's essential to every single person alive.
It's information that has been hidden from the majority for far too long.

Say goodbye to disease as we modernly know it!
Skylar Burris
Sep 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
This is a one-star review, so right away you know it’s going to be very, very long. If I were giving a five star review, I would of course limit my comments to one or two paragraphs.

Gina
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my guiding principles has always been: Never read a book that has the word "ultra" in the title.

However, interesting perspectives on diet & health intrigue me, & when I saw endorsements from such respected doctors as Dean Ornish, Christiane Northrup & Mehmet Oz, I decided to break my rule and plunge into The UltraMind Solution.

I'm glad I did, for this book is an engaging read that's full of cutting edge science & practical advice. Dr. Mark Hyman has been on a mission to
Pete Brigham
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It shows how toxicity is the problem—and explains how to address it. Learning about the amazing detoxifier glutatione, and our ability to stimulate its production by taking NAC, was a big take-away from the book. Overall, it comes down to a plant-based diet, no matter how you look at it. We are trying Veganuary for the first time this year, and not missing our cheese. (OK, not much!)
Saadia
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Hyman uses the latest scientific discoveries to re-affirm the influence of environmental toxins and the food we eat on our health. He specifically details the direct pathways affecting our health at the cellular level in the nervous, digestive and immune system. It can be frightening to some but ultimately at the end of the book, one understands that health is at one's fingertips, i.e. self-care, and Dr. Hyman gives the 6 week program to cleanse and detoxify one's body. Of course, I already ...more
Judith
Jul 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Eat right, exercise, get the appropriate amount of sleep, eliminate caffeine, alcohol, sugar, white flour, gluten and hydrogenated fats from your diet. . . . stop me if you've heard this one before.
Robertderryck
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Despite its hyperbolic title, this is one of best medical resource books I've found for dealing with chronic ailments. Having suffered for a number of years from chronic problems that conventional doctors have been incapable of explaining (something that unfortunately is occurring more and more frequently in our modern society), I'm heartened by the extensive information and recommendations provided by Dr. Hyman. The focus of the book is on what has, until recently, been unfortunately completely ...more
Erica
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
For anyone who is battling with a child with autism, This book seems like it can be a benefit for you to read. There are suggestions on what you can do to help and possibly reverse autism. It is helpful for those of us that want to prevent any health issues or just to be healthier. The book gets you thinking about how our society is slowly killing us. It took me a while to get through this one. At times it was very dry reading, but I stuck with it and it gave me some things to consider. I might ...more
Desinka
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very up-to-the-point, solution oriented book. I've read a couple of others on the subject an this one impressed me with offering clear explanations, easy action steps and an overall sense of achievability:)

I listened to this and I liked the author's narration.
Michelle
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Finally! A book that tells you WHY your body doesn't need white flour, suger and dairy; and how much it DOES need fruits, veggies, whole grains, fish oil and vitamins--and what happens when you do or don't take them. A very fascinating read, and one I want to have as a reference book.
Christine
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great book discussing what everyday eating habits can do for or against your overall health. I learned a LOT, and I come from a family of health care workers.

Even if you choose not to go for the full plan, making the overall changes suggested will help you feel much better. My husband and I have been sleeping better, not crashing at the end of the day, and seen other improvements in our health (not "major" things, since doctors would already say we were healthy, but small changes,
Barbara
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A terrific book for anyone with allergies, food issues, etc. I read it in one sitting, which is unusual for a book like this. We started following advice and so far I have lost 18 pounds, my husband has lost 12, taking the supplements, avoiding certain foods, etc. We feel like different people. Or at least the same people in different bodies. I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in an alternative to Big Pharmas, etc.
Stephen
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
The book is very controversial, so Dr. Hyman is either a genius or a nut job, I am leaning toward genius.

Just finished it, and it has given me a lot of great information and ideas. Definitely worth a 6-week trial to see if these techniques work as well as predicted (most topics I have heard for years, just never had the motivation to execute on them).
Katie
Sep 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
UGH. This book is not only terrible but dangerous. A blogger I like recommended it, and I was hoping it might have some good information on how diet affects mood. If it were just about that, it might have been halfway decent, but instead, the author goes WAY too far, saying that many physical and mental illnesses "don't exist" and that most medicines are unnecessary- ignoring that in many cases, medication for mental illness is life-saving. He also spouts a bunch of bunk about how "toxins" are r ...more
Mallory
The Ultra Mind solution is a good companion to read AFTER Ultraprevention (by the same author). There is some repition, but they are good points and so making them stick would be beneficial. Dr. Hyman does explain and define his terms used in both books very well in ultraprevention, and so if you do read that one first you would go into ultra mind with a better understanding. While ultraprevention focused on getting healthy in order to live a disease free life, ultra mind of course focused on ge ...more
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
This book was basically interesting in a challenging sort of way. It describes a diet/way of life/vitamin program that essentially cleanses the system of toxins and helps with brain chemical imbalances. Hyman also describes many of the chemical processes which occur in the brain as a result of normal/healthy/unhealthy eating and living practices. These process are desribed in "laymans" terms, but are difficult to follow. I skipped through most of these described process even though I have a very ...more
KC
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to give this book 5 stars because it was the launching pad for me to finally get to the bottom of my health issues and for that I am sooooo grateful. However, the writing is horribly redundant and I found myself saying "ok I get it just tell me what to do now!" I finally realized that it's likely because the author knows not everyone is going to read it cover to cover as I'd planned. And honestly, I skipped about 100 pages in the middle.
I think it's good for a starting poin
David
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My diet is terrible. I eat out at restaurants all the time. The rest of the time I order take out. No fruit. Not a lot of vegetables. I drink lots and lots of Coke. I trained for and ran a marathon but afterwards my brain still felt foggy and my body felt weak.

So I decided to start learning about nutrition and this is book #1. It has scared the shit out of me.
Alex Murygin
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't recommend this book now as i haven't finished the program mentioned in this book. But I've started and looks like it's kind of fantastic. I'll update status as only i finish the program.
I think this will be interesting for everybody who'd like to live healthy life )
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The strategies and principles in this book work! Since incorporating them a year ago, I have lost 15 pounds and my complexion is clearer. I plan to continue a gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle and limit my sugars and grains indefinitely.
Paula
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-books
Three weeks on my way to UltraWellness and I'm seeing noticeable improvements in my brain power and mood. Maybe I will have more to say in another three weeks.
Owen Spencer
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
The UltraMind Solution is a highly informative book about osteopathic/holistic/alternative medicine. It includes excellent information and advice that, if applied, may result in dramatic improvements to one's overall health and well-being. This book was recommended to me by one of the top physicians in Lubbock Texas. My only complaint is related to the author's writing style. He mixes science with hype. The scientific findings that are reported are excellent, but there is also a lot of exaggerat ...more
Patricia Mauerhofer
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mind-body-health
Excellent book of the interconnection between bodily processes and mental wellbeing and what each and every of us can actually do to enhance her/his health. The biochemical, genetic and metabolic processes are explained in an easy to follow way and are illustrated with many success stories.
The best part of the book is a very concrete 7 weeks action plan to overcome illnesses and enhance mind-body functioning. Why only 4 stars? Certain aspects are repeated too many times for my taste and the one
Zulu Adams
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The information contained within the book is both excellent and fascinating, and I would encourage everybody to read it if it were not for the repetitive style and self-promotion contained within. It does feel as if the book easily could've been half the length.

A wary reader will find plenty to chew on though. I've experimented with a lot of the advice and must admit I feel MUCH better for it.

The companion pdf guide to the book is freely available from Hyman's website and I'd recomm
Selena
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a very thought provoking book, especially for a therapist. I'll never look at a client's issues without first thinking of their eating and other lifestyle behaviors.

I gave it four stars because the author tends to repeat himself quite a bit. The book could have been shortened by about 1/3 and still you'd get all the information you need. His passion for the topic makes him seem a bit preachy at times.
Jenny, The Distracted Bee
I'm throwing in the towel. There may be some good info in here but not enough to keep my interest, and I feel like following my instincts will work just as fine!
Sven
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-health
In THE ULTRAMIND SOLUTION, Mark Hyman paints the big picture of the human body as a complex system. Any symptom of a seemingly specific disease can have a variety of different sources. Hyman suggests that the reductionist approach of current medicine, fragmented into separate fields, is not able to treat this system in a holistic manner – the way it should be treated. Instead he proposes "functional medicine" or "systems biology". In his definiton of health, there are "Seven Keys to UltraWellnes ...more
Sylvie Bourgeois
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very detailed book on how to fix your brain ( autism, ADD, depression ,anxiety, bi-polar etc ) . As a mother of an autistic child , I seek out any information that can help . This gives me a good starting point to have discussions with our dietician. It does tell you step by step how to approach this and what to eat, supplement, detox ; however if you have an autistic child the biggest battle is to get them to eat something that doesn't overstimulate their senses otherwise they will no ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
http://maleenhancementshop.info/ultra-boost-force/ 1 1 Apr 12, 2017 11:51PM
Adderin Benefits Of Omega3 Fish Oil Supplements 1 2 Sep 29, 2015 11:07PM
Newt gingrich's near me engaging me great 1 1 Feb 24, 2015 10:10PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Ultra Mind Solution 1 3 May 30, 2013 02:26PM

• Levels of Energy
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • Power vs. Force
  • The Disease Delusion: Conquering the Causes of Chronic Illness for a Healthier, Longer, and Happier Life
  • The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
  • Letting Go: The Pathway To Surrender
  • You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter
  • The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic
  • The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles
  • The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
Mark Hyman, M.D., is the editor in chief of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, the most prestigious journal in the field of integrative medicine. After ten years as co-medical director at Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires, he is now in private practice in Lenox, Massachusetts. He is the coauthor of the New York Times bestseller Ultraprevention. His websites are www.drhyman.com and www.ultrametabolism.com.

Learn more on
“We all have different needs for food, vitamins, rest, exercise, stress tolerance, or ability to handle toxins.” 2 likes