Start by marking “The Emerald Enigma (Space Drifters #1)” as Want to Read:
The Emerald Enigma (Space Drifters #1)

The Emerald Enigma

(Space Drifters #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  111 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Space heroes or cosmic rejects?

Captain Glint Starcrost is not having the carefree, adventurous life the space academy brochures promised star pilots.

Broke, with an unreliable star freighter and a bounty on his head, Glint is desperate enough to try anything. Even set out on a quest to find a fabled good luck charm, the Emerald Enigma.

Now for a crew. A passive aggressive
Published October 14th 2016 by Enclave (first published July 21st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Emerald Enigma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emerald Enigma

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Emerald Enigma (Space Drifters #1)
Adam Collings
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space Drifters is a light-hearted fun space opera. It focuses on the exploits of a small crew as they seek a powerful object known as the Emerald Enigma.

The story is populated with colourful characters. Captain Starcrost is your underdog starship captain. He's a little goofy and would be lost without the wisdom of his companions, but he will always demonstrate bravery when it counts. He reminds me a little of Roger Wilco from the Space Quest games.

Blix is very cool. He strikes me a little as an
Ashley Bogner
I enjoyed this goofy, light-hearted novel!
Tricia Mingerink
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even sure what to rate this book. It's...odd. At times, it's a parody (the main character and his first officer are so obviously Captain Kirk and Spock wannabees. And the moment when the lost space princess steps out in buns on the side of her head and a white dress...). At other times, it is just plain laughing at itself and the whole space opera genre. The whole book takes places over three or four days. The main character spends half of that roaming the galaxy in his red-checked pajam ...more
Kerry Nietz
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tired of dystopian wastelands, hordes of zombies, or universe-spanning epics? Then this book is the book for you! A barrel full of monke— , I mean, fun! The author gives service to the standard sci-fi character tropes (stalwart captain, conflicted alien, naive wanderer, and space princess), yet puts a unique satirical spin on them all. The dialog is great, and there are enough twists to keep you moving through the pages. I laughed out loud on more than one occasion.

If I had any criticisms, they
Janeen Ippolito
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clever, quick-witted, and lots of action. Perfect light space comedy read!
Daphne Self
It's more than a science fiction story. It's more than a space rambling. It's both of those combined and thrown into a spiraling universe of misfortunes, a maybe romance, miscalculations, and sheer luck, or maybe fate, that carries the reader along on one heck of a space adventure complete with the occasional comedy.

Glint Starcrost is the captain of an alien first mate, a teenage time traveler, and a royal bloodline bounty hunter. He's forced to deal not only with his own personal issues involvi
Kristin Spencer
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Regnier is a native Southern Californian like me, and his appreciation and enthusiasm for Science Fiction was not lost on me. There are several obvious references to Star Wars, and I found the crew to closely resemble the mishmash of the crew from the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. I loved the characters. They will win you over right away. Even though Captain Starcrost (the protagonist) wears the same pants as Hans Solo, he most reminds me of Malcom Reynolds from the Firefly franchise. ...more
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

Space Drifters went above and beyond my expectations. As a fan of witty humor and original characters, I can’t recommend this one enough. Captain Starcrost, the main character, isn’t all too happy with his life as a star pilot, which isn’t anything like the brochure promised. Instead of tumbling from one adventure into the other, he’s broke, his star freighter needs repairs and there’s a bounty on his head. In what is
Katelyn Bolds
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space Drifters is a Christian science fiction novel from the Enclave Imprint. While the cover art is too much of a ripoff of Firefly, don't let that distract you. With creative characters, new languages, and just an overall newly created world, Space Drifters is quite a unique story and appropriate for all age readers. Also, I love the fact that it doesn't have a direct preach the Gospel but definitely adheres to Christian writing standards and weaves interesting biblical ideas throughout.
Rachel Marks
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul is a hidden talent. A very fun tale with great humor and cleverness. If you like Guardians of the Galaxy this one is perfect for your stack!
Joshua A. Johnston
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun book -- a cool space comedy in the tradition of Hitchhiker's, or perhaps the classic Space Quest video games from long ago. Great characters, some excellent locations. I wished there had been a little more detail in some of the scenes, but overall this is an entertaining read and well worth the time. Recommended.
Jordan Smith
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very few books have kept me smiling so consistently! Loved the hilarious dialogue, clever characters and good old-fashioned sci-fi adventure. Brought a lot of Firefly, Space Quest, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to mind, and that's a very good thing. Looking forward to diving into the rest of the series!
Hope Ann
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the characters and love the humor. I also love how some Christian aspects where woven into the story without it being preachy at all.
Becky B
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Captain Glint Starcrost doesn't have to look for trouble, it seems to find him quite easily. All he wants to do is look for the legendary Emerald Enigma. But for some reason he has a staggering bounty on his head, which brings all sorts of interesting people into his life. First, there's bounty hunter Jasette. Of course it isn't Glint's fault that she then in turn gets captured by his academy rival along with him, his first mate Blix, and the kid who randomly appeared after a time travel inciden ...more
R.M. Lutz
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This humorous sci-fi story makes for a nice, light read. Recommended to sci-fi fans who are more interested in a strong, humorous voice than extreme worldbuilding or deep character development.

Like Christian/clean sci-fi and fantasy? Check out thebookhoundchristianspecfic.blogspot.com for full-length reviews and more!
Jenny Rose
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the distant future, space is explored and peace made with various planets and species. But in order to communicate, commonalities or standards must be made. Time and distance have new terms and measures. And this is where we find Glint Starcroft - in search of the ever popular vibe - money. He pilots a ship with one crew members, Blix. Blix is a large lizard like creature. Not only does Captain Starcroft want more vibes, he is also in search of the Emerald Enigma which is supposed to give the ...more
Gretchen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space Comedy at Its Finest

My apologies to the lady in 14D. Sorry not sorry for the laughter while I read this book on our flight.
This book is for fans of science fiction who enjoy theirs with a side of humor.
Space Drifters Emerald Enigma is a truly funny book that promises to be the first in a solid series.
I enjoyed the characters. Glint Starcrost is a spaceship captain of sketchy character with a reptilian alien sidekick, Blix. Like interstellar Dukes of Hazard, they’re in trouble with the law
Ashley
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not a book I'd normally pick up. Space operas are just not my thing. But I decided to take a chance on this book and found that I absolutely loved it! I was completely absorbed in it from practically the first word. It's extremely fast-paced and humorous. There was never a good place to stop.

Glint wasn't the most likable protagonist, but the rest of his motley crew members made up for it, especially Blix. As the story progressed, though, Glint did begin to grow on me a bit. I'm really a
Hannah Gaudette
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to review. It took time to get into in the beginning, partly due to the fact that it felt like we were pushed to the back corner of the main character's mind, not allowed passage. However, I found it improving as it went along, and I was eventually sucked in.

Overall, I really liked The Emerald Enigma. A few things I found to be lacking in depth, but that's really just my opinion, and obvious quality and skill have gone into the writing. I will be reading book two.

Side no
Nathaniel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really cool book. It followed Captain Glint, who was a 'cosmic reject'. It starts with him trying to keep his ship from being blown up by an enemy ship. He has to think fast and save himself and his crew of one, a pacifist Vythian.
Two mysterious strangers join his crew and he finds himself thrust into a world of danger and intrigue as he chases after a special object that might be a myth or his ticket to money.

Paul Regnier put in bits of Christianity that made this book a pure gem. I
Ian Strang
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny and engaging. The story moves along quite smoothly and there is a laugh around every corner. The author seemed to hint at the end of the story that there could possibly be a sequel. I hope this happens.
C.R. Leverette
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining! Lots of action, great world building, and super funny. Read this if you're looking for a fast-paced, fun sci-fi adventure.
CC
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adventurous, Light, Clean, a Bit Odd, and VERY Funny

4/5 stars - Recommend for those looking for a light read, sci-fi, space opera

I picked up this book after finished the extremely dense Brothers Karamazov and loved it (this book, not BK, although I love BK as well for different reasons) - for its lighthearted prose and clean humor. The characters (Cpt. Glint Starcrost, his first mate Blix, and the other main cast characters) are all rather stereotyped characters, but Reginer pulls them off all v
Barbara
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a goofy, parody of a space adventure, with a lot of action, but it just came off very silly and was hard to hold my attention. When I start finding other things to do rather than finish a story, I know there’s a problem - and this book took a while to finish because I just wasn’t interested. The main character had nothing to be arrogant about, he seemed shallow and sort of stupid, but nevertheless, he was pretty full of himself. The other characters were one-dimensional and didn’t add m ...more
Baby Alicorns
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a funny, lighthearted space drama that left me wheezing after every chapter. The only reason that I rated it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I personally didn't like the ending that much. It was still a good ending, just not what I had in mind. Overall, I think that this is a good book for kids to start out with if they're not old enough for Star Trek or Guardians of the Galaxy.
Noah Litle
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. It was just what I've been wanting to read: Light, funny, and fast paced.

My only complaint was that it was a little predictable. And I wasn't a big fan of the main character. But those things were easily forgivable.

I'm sure I'll be buying the rest of the series sometime soon.
Bruce Dormanen
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun story with over the top characters. There's a lot of suspense and action, along with romance, good humor, and values. I loved it and will be getting the other books in this series and by this author.
Lizzy
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well, that was quirky and fun. XD
Helena George
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Okay, THIS

Now this was funny. 10/10 would recommend.
Robyn-lanae
Pretty good!

Gave it three stars for amusing dialogue (although it did get to be a bit much at times). Good action scenes.

• Edge of Oblivion (The Chronicles of Sarco, #1)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Scarlet Moon (Children of the Blood Moon, #1)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Interfinity (Time Echoes Trilogy #2)
  • Time Echoes (Time Echoes Trilogy #1)
  • The Dark Knight Trilogy: The Complete Screenplays with Storyboards
  • Fatal Convergence (Time Echoes Trilogy #3)
  • The Book of Secrets (Seventh Realm Trilogy 1)
  • Meg Mitchell & The Secret of the Journal (The Legend of the Lightkeepers, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • Marital Law
  • Fawkes
  • The Wednesday Wars
  • Olivia Twist
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
Paul Regnier is a speculative fiction author perpetually lost in daydreams of spaceships, magic, and the supernatural. He is the writer of Paranormia, an urban fantasy/supernatural comedy, and the Space Drifters series, a sci-fi/space opera comedy.

Paul is a technology junkie, drone pilot, photographer, web designer, drummer, Star Wars nerd, and a wannabe Narnian with a fascination for all things f

Space Drifters (3 books)
  • The Iron Gauntlet (Space Drifters #2)
  • The Ghost Ship (Space Drifters #3)

News & Interviews

“There were no mirrors nearby to pose in front of, but I was convinced I was looking pretty awesome.” 1 likes