Start by marking “Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)” as Want to Read:
Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)

Fallow

(Whyborne & Griffin #8)

When Griffin’s past collides with his present, will it cost the lives of everyone he loves?

Between the threat of a world-ending invasion from the Outside and unwelcome revelations about his own nature, Percival Endicott Whyborne is under a great deal of strain. His husband, Griffin Flaherty, wants to help—but how can he, when Whyborne won’t tell him what’s wrong?

When a m
Published August 5th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Fallow, please sign up.
Mercedes Hightower Yes at the end of this book she names it "Draakenwood" and says it will be out in 2017
Gretchen In the audiobook, its closer to Iguana. If you say Percival out loud and drop the "Perc" from the beginning, that's how it is read in the audio versio…moreIn the audiobook, its closer to Iguana. If you say Percival out loud and drop the "Perc" from the beginning, that's how it is read in the audio version. Short "I" sound. And I bought the audiobook to hear how it sounded, so don't feel crazy!(less)

Start your review of Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
Nick Pageant
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing installment. Ival is still the amusing, unassuming sorcerer next door. Griffin is still my boyfriend. And, once again, Christine rocked my socks.
Ms. Smartarse
In the middle of nowhere there's a forgotten little town named Fallow. Not much is happening there, save for its gradual but steady decline in population. Some time ago, there was this huge scandal with the young Flaherty boy and his indecent hobby, but things eventually died down. Or so they should have, if it weren't for some people, who juuuuust couldn't move on.

Never forgive you

In the meantime, everyone's favorite private detective has bigger fish to fry than remembering old history. After all, ancient histo
Alisa
So I'm going to completely ignore the fact that this cover makes my baby Griffin looks like a pervy creeper and just talk about the book. This was another great installment that found the group going back to the town my boyfriend Griffin, who is in fact Not a pervy creeper, grew up in. This was an action packed story that I found really creative and I enjoyed every minute of it. There were also some really touching moments between Griffin (not a pervy creeper) and Whyborne. These two make me go ...more
Kaje Harper
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the best things about this installment of the series is the chance to walk in Griffin's world, following his POV as the action moves back to the town where he was adopted and grew up. We learn more about the events that made him leave home, and re-meet some of his remaining family. The times when he has to deal with his past, and the moments when he helps Whyborne deal with his own re-imagined origins and future, are the heart of the book.

There is plenty of creepy supernatural action her
Barbara➰
After not liking book 7 as much as previous installments, I went into this one with my fingers crossed. I have enjoyed this series so much I hated to think my love affair with Whyborne & Griffin was over. I shouldn't have worried.

This one takes us to Kansas to Griffin's hometown. There's a creepy children of the corn vibe going on not to mention a fungus amongus!

Poor Griffin. My heart hurt for him so much. He wants his family's approval and love so bad. But what he finally comes to realize is
Meags
4 Stars

It’s book number eight and things are as heart-stoppingly exciting and as dreamily romantic as ever for our beloved Whyborne and Griffin, and their dearest friends Christine and Iskander.

In their latest supernatural adventure, the group head to the farming town of Fallow, Kansas, where Griffin grew up, to investigate some strange and potentially world-threatening events – what’s new, right?!

The change of setting was a lot of fun, but also crazy creepy, with lots of disturbing occurrences
Rhys Ford
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I simply adore this series and well, Jordan L Hawk is one of the best writers I've ever had the pleasure to read.

This book is a fantastic addition to the series. It was great delving into Griffin's past and how he dovetails into Whyborne's life on so many levels.

It's hard to write a review without disclosing spoilers but I can say their relationship is a weave of complicated personalities and deep love, strong enough to overcome the obstacles thrown their way and tender enough to soften the sh
Ami

This is for the first time after seven books, that I wasn't completely enamored by this new installment of Whyborne & Griffin series -- me sad :(. Let me write down the things that annoyed me a lot first ... so I can end this opinion in positive note.

More so than the rest, I was superbly annoyed with Whyborne, and his 'guilt' feel that ended up making him keeping secrets from Griffin. I have a LOT of series that I follow religiously, and one thing that I always want from long-time serie
Sofia
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it

Fallow is a rollercoaster of a wave story, once I got to a certain point I simply had to continue right till the end. Making me feel that I've read this too fast and that I certainly need more. Not that this episode is not complete in itself, but that I miss them already and I want more.

Hawk continues to astonish me how the whole story stays fresh and she continues to add more and more to it and to her characters. It's become an intricate web that makes me want to continue pulling at the thr
Gaby
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Ok, so, a few things before I start with my actual review.

1. The Whyborne and Griffin Series has remained one of my favorite series ever, not only as M/M, but in paranormal as a whole.

2. It’s very difficult, I think, that an author can pull 8 books with the same couple and do it amazingly well, adding depth to the characters, not only the main ones but the secondary ones, and showing growth as individuals and in their relationships in general. Hawk does this brilliantly, IMO.

3. Try keep
Donna
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book in this series! There was lots of action and suspense. Some really evil villains! Christine being a crack shot again! I was so happy to see Whyborne finally open up about what had been causing him guilt and anguish and learn that he was wrong in his worries. I can't wait for the next book!
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

Once again, JLH delivers on this duo who have grown from reluctant participators in the supernatural madness they find themselves embroiled in, into full out champions of humankind! I for one can’t help but rally behind such heroes!

Here, the weight of responsibility continues to be a heavy burden to bear. The return of ultimate evil is on the horizon, and some are planning to take advantage, some are planning on giving succor, and others, like our beloved Whyborne and Griffin, are determ
Chelsea
Nothing can keep my attention like a Whyborne and Griffin book! No matter what I'm doing or have planned for the day, once I pick up one of these books, I'm stuck until its finished!

This wasn't my favourite of the series so far, but it still has everything I adore about this series. Griffin's love and admiration of his Ival, Whyborne's hilarious mannerisms and social awkwardness, Christine's fire and Kander's calm influence. This had crazy adventure and disgusting magical creatures and of course
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
4.5 emotional, creepy, fantastic stars on Prism Book Alliance®

The wind strengthened from over the ocean, coiling around the slender figure standing atop a craggy rock. She might have been some barbaric sea goddess, dressed in nothing but golden jewelry and a skirt of knotted seaweed. Dark swirls marked her pearlescent skin like war paint, and the stinging tendrils of her hair writhed as the autumnal breeze grew into a gale.

My first thought? Woohoo, Persephone! After that? Wow, what an opening pa
Verity
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal-scifi
I love this series and can't wait for the next book but......

[image error] photo 377_zpsexlpktn0.gif

What the hell happened to the cover???
I gather the guy on the right is a less attractive parallel universe Whyborne but who the heck is the one on the left supposed to be?
I swear if that's Griffin then all the previous books need a rewrite because that is not Griffin...

Natalia
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read October 2019
_____________
Is it April yet? I need Draakenwood NOW!!
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

I honestly feel like, after every book JLH finishes she gives herself one of these.

I don't know what her method is, but keep doing it. Did we really expect anything else from her? This book was so freaking good. The gang is back to help save the inhabitants of Fallow, Kansas this time. Every time I read a JLH book it's like going on a vivid journey that you never want to end. It's how I feel after all her books. I always look at the percentage hoping and pleading that it never makes it
Richard Derus
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horror aficionados untainted by homophobia
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
Rating: 4.5* of five

The half star off is for the slithering jim-jams the Big Baddie in this one has given me. I am not sleeping for the foreseeable future. *convulsive shudder*
***next day***
As predicted, sleep was elusive after reading this frightfest. I haven't had that response to any other book in the series but this one Did Me In. The name, "the rust," gave me all the horror-movie shudders I could ever (not) want.
(view spoiler)
Excuse me I need to bleach my every body part
Bev

4.5 stars from me for this wonderful instalment of the Whyborne and Griffin series. Not doing a long review, just know that there some more prize one-liners from Dr Christine Putnam, heartbreak for Griffin as far as family is concerned, the Fideles cult is growing ever stronger and as far as they are concerned, the Restoration of the Masters to the Earth is a foregone conclusion. They have of course reckoned without our 4 brave heroes.

As far as I'm concerned, this was my favourite part of the st
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Whyborne and husband Griffin Flaherty

They are such magical couple. I adore their chemistry.

The storyline didn’t grab me, I skimmed and skipped a bit.
Deborah
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

I really am addicted to this series. Here Whyborne, Griffin, Christine and Iskander find themselves in Fallow. Griffin’s home town. They battle not just evil but Griffin’s past.
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
Reread 10/21/19:

I almost want to drop half a star from my original rating :( but I suspect that getting derailed and losing my momentum with this reread for two months made my issues worse than they were, so I'm leaving it at 4 stars. But my word, I just could not care about the threat to Griffin's mom or most anyone else in this awful town, and I had no patience for Whyborne falling back on old behavior patterns (see original review). It felt like a step backwards and didn't make anymore sense
Cristina
In Fallow, we get the chance to focus more on Griffin's family dynamics and on his troubled past in Kansas.

The overarching story in the series keeps proceeding steadily towards the inevitable final confrontation that will take place in book 11, Deosil, currently scheduled to come out in 2019.

Each novel, however, adds new pieces to the puzzle of the Restoration and to the characters' lives and struggles. In particular, I really enjoy the way Jordan L. Hawk manages to devote equal space to the
Jenni Lea
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

OHMYGAWD I LOVED THIS SO FREAKING MUCH WHEN DOES THE NEXT BOOK COME OUT CAUSE I GOTTA READ IT RIGHT THE FUCK NOW HOW COME I PUT OFF READING THIS FOR A YEAR I'M SO SILLY I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T READ THIS SOONER HURRY UP WITH THE NEXT ONE MS HAWK I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER!!!!

or... something like that. Yeah.
Tamara
Oct 2, 2016

An excellent installation in the Whyborne & Griffin series. Griffin managed to set some things straight concerning his parents and the town itself, and Whyborne was (as usual) waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm not sure if it was the author's intention or not, but I'm definitely not eating mushrooms in the foreseeable future.

Still hating the new cover models.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jul 15, 2016

Just gonna add my vote of NO to the new cover models.

I'm in love with
Rosa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a ride! It took a slow beginning, some of the issues addressed here had been addressed in other instalments, but, once we reach Fallow everything start to improve.
And what a city Fallow is! It could burn to it foundation and it wouldn't be a loss, really, what were those people thinking? How could someone so heartless? (view spoiler)
Chris
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well I have really enjoyed this series - Whybourne, Griffin, Christine & Iskander - such great characters, adventures and extraordinary events ! Really recommend this series to those who enjoy a paranormal mystery with a touch of MM romance thrown in to make it even better ❤ ...more
Lisa The Novel Approach
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pop Quiz: What could possibly be better than reading a scene that has you wondering what sort of danger and intrigue lurks in the coming paragraphs of a Whyborne & Griffin novel…and then having our dear Percival say something completely charming and laugh-out-loud hilarious?

If your answer is A, not much, you would be correct. Unless it’s an entire scene with Christine that’s nothing less than comedy gold. Then you would also be correct. And, you would also be correct if you assume that scene is
Elena
Reread in 2019
4.5 stars, again

I don’t have much to add to my original review, except that (view spoiler) bothered me a little more than what I remember during my first read. At least until I realized that the cause (view spoiler)
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
“I see you,” I murmured, once he let me speak again. “And I love what I see. More than I would ever have thought possible.”

It’s amazing that eight books and four shorts into the Whyborne and Griffin series, I’M still so into it. I’ve been taking my sweet time reading this series because I like the comfort of knowing that another book awaits me. And that I will get completely, thoroughly, utterly lost in it.

This series has it all.

Humor: IN SPADES. Christine’s one (sometimes two) liners slay me.

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • The Smuggler and the Warlord (A Charm of Magpies, #0.5)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Wanted, A Gentleman
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh (Society of Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook. ...more

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)