Start by marking “Eat This Poem: A Literary Feast of Recipes Inspired by Poetry” as Want to Read:
Eat This Poem: A Literary Feast of Recipes Inspired by Poetry

Eat This Poem: A Literary Feast of Recipes Inspired by Poetry

A literary cookbook celebrating food and poetry, two of life's essential ingredients.
In the same way that salt seasons ingredients to bring out their flavors, poetry seasons our lives; when celebrated together, our everyday moments and meals are richer and more meaningful. The twenty-five inspiring poems in this book from such poets as Marge Piercy, Louise Gluck, Mark Str
Published March 21st 2017 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about Eat This Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat This Poem

Start your review of Eat This Poem: A Literary Feast of Recipes Inspired by Poetry
Rebecca
This book arose from Gulotta’s blog of the same title. It’s a luscious mix of food-themed poems – none of which I’d ever encountered before, even if certain of the poets were familiar to me (like Mary Oliver, Sharon Olds and Wendell Berry) – commentary, personal anecdote and recipes that manage to hit the sweet spot in a Venn diagram between trendy, frugal, simple and indulgent. I could see myself making and eating any of these recipes, but my eye was particularly drawn to baked sweet potatoes w ...more
Julia Torgrimso
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would never have picked this book on my own but it was thrust upon me for book club. 'Thrust' is the proper word to use as I was grumpy about having to read this. A poetry book for book club! A cookbook for book club? Ugh!

I sit here before you in total repentance.

I love this book!!!

For every poem there are three recipes. The poems are usually about food yet they are also about remembering and how food plays a huge part in our rememberings.

I have tried out two recipes so far: Mushroom Brie Q
Sabina Hahn
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I so wanted to love this book. A mix of poetry and cooking seems to be made for me. Unfortunately I was not wowed by either.
Narelle Richards
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a truly glorious book - I really enjoyed spending time with these pages both for the poems and the recipes.

I have to say my favourite poem was The Onion by Margaret Gibson which really spoke to me at the time because my family was driving quietly round the twist so I really felt the line ' I could stay in bed and be the woman who aches for no reason...'

There so many poems I had never read before and that came to life because of the stories Nicole Gulotta told around them and the recipes she
Andi
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I took months to read this book because I wanted to savor each poem, each meditation, each recipe. A beautiful, beautiful book for people who love language and good food.
Isabelle Bradbury
“Both the cook and the poet are makers. One holds a knife, the other a pen. One grinds fresh pepper over a mound of tender lettuce, while the other adds a period to the end of a sentence or a dash to the end of a line. With available ingredients—vegetables and herbs, rhymes and words—layers of flavor and meaning are infused in the pan and composed on the page.”

I am by no means a chef, but I am a sucker for heartfelt poetry. What a wonderful concept! My favorite poems were Blueberry by Diane Lock
Paige Pagnotta
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"We should remember how time does not know the day is different. Our own trappings and ceremonies welcome the change with cake and champagne, causing a shift in our bodies and minds, yet on January 1, the same sun rises as the day before. With this in mind, we can start again any morning we choose. We can gather together whenever we need to, sharing a meal and conversation, and start fresh over and over again." ...more
Jeimy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cookbook disguised a collection of poems—or vice versa—this book contains a hanful of recipes I am willing to try out. I enjoyed all the poems contained within its pages.
Deborah Stevens
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two of my favorite things (poetry, recipes) in one beautiful volume. And an awful lot of heart and transparency from the author. A tough sell I think, but a wonderful success!
Jill
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Made this 'not-a-poetry-person' person see verse and language in a new light. The recipes are lovely too—can't wait to try more of them. ...more
Liaken
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, food
The four stars are for the poems. Delicious. I didn't get into the recipes, etc. Just devoured the poetry. A good picking. ...more
Amanda
Free Netgalley ARC for an honest review.

"I came here hungry, I came here wanting," read the lines of a poem in the very middle of the text, putting poetic word to the feelings that had crescendoed in my blood on the receipt and opening of this text as someone who delights deeply in the arts of both poetry and cooking. This book should be enjoyed first, not in a kitchen, but in an armchair with a glass of red wine, curled up close to the pages.

When I first saw the synopsis on this book, I can a
Amelia Elizabeth
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I love cookbooks and have a bad habit of collecting some of the interesting ones I come across. This one will be added to my collection (got a digital copy to review). My love of cooking is growing steadily to match my love of literature and poetry. This book combines poetry, analysis of the poems, stories from the author, and recipes.

Each section of this book has a few poems that connect with the recipes in that section. So a poem about blueberries is followed by a quick analysis from Nicole wh
KayCee K
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eat This Poem is quite a different poetry and recipes book; it's nothing I've seem before. The layout of the this book goes, a poem, a bit from the author and then recipes that go along with the poem. My three favorite poems in this book is How to Eat a Poem by Eve Merriam, The Orange by Campbell Mcgath, and Tea by Jehanne Dubrow. After the poem Tea by Jehanne Dubrow there is a recipe called Earl Grey Short Bread Cookies. They sound amazing, I really want to try them.
This book wasn't just fille
Ashley  Brooks
I have a thing for literary cookbooks, and Eat This Poem doesn't disappoint. I've only tried one recipe so far with several others in the menu in the weeks to come, but I'm confident giving it 5 stars anyway. Eat This Poem got me in the habit of reading poetry again (better yet, reading it to my kids). Nicole's short introductions to each recipe are spot on, and the writing throughout is truly lovely. ...more
Degan Walters
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A lovely mash up of recipes and poems (about food). I enjoyed both but neither wowed me and I found the explications of the theme a bit tiresome. I think I wanted the whole thing to be more luscious...more inviting me to eat and instead I found it asking me to think.
Story Circle Book Reviews
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I couldn't resist reading Eat This Poem, especially during April, National Poetry Month. Actually, I'm a fan of poetry and food all months of the year. Nicole Gulotta is too so good for her for blending her two passions, along with writing, in this delightful collection of poetry and recipes. "Food and poetry are kindred spirits," Gulotta says as well as a "natural pairing."

Poetry came first for Gulotta when her tenth grade English teacher had the class memorize a poem. Gulotta composed a poem o
Barbette
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eat this Poem is an inspiration.

In our contemporary world, where ready made food calls from every corner, the act of cooking for ourselves has become a form of meditation and connection. So a book that brings together twenty five poems and perhaps four times as many recipes makes perfect sense. Preparing a meal and reading a poem are experiences that call for us to slow down and offer our attention.

Eat this Poem is also lovely to behold as a physical object. Its format, size, graphics, fonts,
Kirsten
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Nicole on social media for a few years now and have been watching her journey to bring this book to life from afar.

The finished product is a beautiful blend of memoir, cookbook, and reflections on living a thoughtful, food-enhanced, life. I haven't cooked anything from it yet -- I wanted to relish the narrative first -- but I plan to and am thrilled that it features many vegetarian recipes. (And a strawberry cake that I may just have to bake for my own birthday this year.)
Kris Dersch
I really like the concept of this but in the end it just wasn't for me. The recipes were too convoluted, the poetry to one note and spread out. I think you have to be a better chef than I am to appreciate it. I made a few of the recipes, they called for a lot of ingredients and didn't to me end up worth the investment. It then sat on my shelf for a long time while I thought...I'll just make that one more recipe and read the rest of the poems...and it never happened, so I'm giving myself permissi ...more
Melanie Faith
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, subtle book that combines the genres of poetry, cooking/food writing, and memoir. The included poems are meaningful and resonant. I'm planning to use this book for a fall writing class, and I look forward to my students' reactions. This would be a good text for a poetry class, a cooking class, or a memoir class as well as a food-writing course. ...more
Toni
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cooking and Poetry

Cooking and poetry for together so well. The poems in this book were wonderful. I was inspired.but the food was so intriguing. I found so many I want to try.I especially am interested in those recipes using things right out of the garden. I know I will be rereading this book as well as eating meals using these recipes.
Kelly
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I simply loved the beauty of both poetry and the art of cooking weaved into one in the wonderful book. This is a book that I would love to own and reference often not only for the beautiful poems but the approachable and deliciously simple recipes.
Georgia
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the collection of poems- eclectic and beautiful. My only complaint in this great book is the author's explanations of what the poet meant by the work. It felt a little SparkNotes-y at times, and I prefer to be given more space for interpretation. ...more
Melanie
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poems that stopped by heart...and started it up again - plus a ton of fabulous recipes. This book is a win-win for me.
Ceillie Simkiss
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't eat most of the food in this book because I'm picky as hell, but the poetry was stunning and really got my thinking about my food memories. ...more
Eniko Rozsa
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun collection of recipes and poems. Great combo if you are a foodie and like creative writing!
Penny
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of poems about food and following each poem, several actual recipes to try - along with the author's memory about the food. Great fun book! ...more
Laine
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
How to Eat a Poem by Eve Merrimam
Don’t be polite.
Bite in.
Pick it up with your fingers and lick the juice ...
Karin
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A feast for the senses - all of them! Nicole writes recipes that are easy to follow and with a nice description of what they mean to her. Her poetry selections are first-rate!

• Dearly
  • Bright Dead Things
  • The Rain in Portugal
  • The Tradition
  • Faithful and Virtuous Night
  • The Octopus Museum
  • The Deep End (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #15)
  • Good Poems: American Places
  • The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship
  • Erratic Facts
  • A Poet's Glossary
  • Best of the Best American Poetry
NICOLE GULOTTA is the author of Wild Words: Rituals, Routines, and Rhythms for Braving the Writer’s Path and Eat This Poem: A Literary Feast of Recipes Inspired by Poetry. As the founder of the Wild Words community, she helps fellow writers embrace the season they’re in, create at their own pace, and care for their minds and bodies along the way. Nicole holds an MFA in poetry from Vermont College ...more

Articles featuring this book

This holiday season, why not give the gift of The Chronicles of Narnia's Turkish delight, a cozy dinner with the March...