Start by marking “The Sisters of Sugarcreek” as Want to Read:
The Sisters of Sugarcreek

The Sisters of Sugarcreek

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Many lives were changed the day a fire burned down Faith Community Church, devastating the small town of Sugarcreek, Ohio. Now a young Amish widow, Lydia Gruber faces an uncertain future. Her husband, a craftsman and volunteer firefighter, always took care of everything, keeping her isolated from others in their community. Without anyone or any skills, how will she survive ...more
Published February 7th 2017 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Sisters of Sugarcreek, please sign up.
Cathy Liggett I enjoyed writing about the characters so much that I hope it will be! Thank you for asking!

Kimberly
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first chose this book to review because it had knitting on the cover. I am mad for all things yarn related. Then I noticed that it mentioned Sugarcreek in the title. This was the name of the church camp I attended when I was growing up. So it had two things going for it in the first place.

Then I began to read the story and the Sisters of Sugarcreek is set in a town which I visited when I was in our youth group. Oh my, I knew I had to love this book. And I did.

There are three women that the st
Virginia Winfield
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I did not want to put this book down. I laughed and cried during this book. I loved Lydia , Jessica and Liz. Two Englishers and an Amish woman. They became very good friends once Rose passed away and Lydias husband died. All three women learn to live their lives again in new ways. This is a great book. I received a copy of this book from Tyndale blog network and am giving a review of my own free will.
Colleendearborn
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
If you like a story with all the ends wrapped up like a feel-good bow, this book is for you! I loved the characters' idea of a group to secretly help other people. Amish and non-Amish characters are friends in a small town, and connected via a quilt/craft shop. Skimmed this in print.
Virginia
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three women all lose someone they love in a church fire, and must cope with their loss. Jessica inherits her late aunt's knitting and quilting shop, and has no idea how to run the store. She befriends Liz, one of her aunt's friends, and a young Amish widow, Lydia, who help her. I thought this book was very good. I am looking forward to more books by the author.
Barbara
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the settings of any Amish story. Always a feel good and be thankful for your blessings everyday.
Jaina Rose
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

This was just the sort of book I needed: fluffy yet meaningful, silly yet sweet, and full of drama that took me away from the drama in my own life.

This is a very . . . busy book. There are three main characters, all of whom have their own lives to live and storylines unique from each other. They're all brought together, in a roundabout way, by a church fire from before the start of the book that stole huge chunks of each of their lives: Ly
Stephanie Newhouse
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my typical genre, but the knitting on the cover caught my eye. The characters were wonderful, and I would love to have a sequel!
Michele
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A cozy story about 3 women who form a tight bond at a transitional time in their lives. Lovely setting in small town Ohio and a celebration of Amish values. This one isn't a page-turner, but the characters quietly meet their challenges strengthened by their shared friendship. It was all a bit like Amish comfort food served to your table at the Dutch Valley Restaurant right there in Sugarcreek while looking out the window at all that pastoral countryside. Ah!
Bettys Welt
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ein Großbrand im Ort Sugarcreek hat die junge Amish Lydia Gruber völlig unerwartet als Witwe zurückgelassen. Ihr Mann ist bei der Brandbekämpfung an der Faith Community Church zu Tode gekommen. Unvorbereitet und überfordert muss sie sich neben ihrer Trauer nun auch mit der Außenwelt auseinandersetzen.
Durch das gleiche Unglück hat Jessica Holtz ihre Großtante Rose verloren, die wie eine Mutter für sie war, vor allem in der Zeit als sie Single-Mutter wurde und dringend Unterstützung brauchte. Obwo
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading this book. This is the first I've read from Cathy Liggett, and the plot was different then the typical Amish fiction books I am used to. Let me say this, I am so glad that I decided to give it a shot because I absolutely loved it! This will not be the last that Ms. Liggett has seen of me!

First I have to comment on the interesting plot. For three woman, one of whom is Amish, to come together as friends was so interesting to me. Their lov
June Jacobs
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This inspirational romance novel involves three women who build a strong bond of friendship through the ups and downs of their lives in smalltown Sugarcreek. They become each other's support system and source of encouragement through some rough patches in this journey we call life.

One of the things I liked most about this book was that the three women came from such different backgrounds--two widows, one divorced single mother; one Amish, one Christian, one searching for answers regarding her fa
Vickie
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Page after page I became caught up in The Sisters of Sugarcreek. I was so glad I decided not to hurry to read this book and make my usual deadline for a book review a week. I found myself relaxing and enjoying every word as I became entwined with the lives of these women.

They each faced problems that we all can relate to. Either we know someone or we have personally went through one of the struggles that the women are faced with. In the midst of their upsetting trials they relied on God's help
Lynn
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fabulous! If you love stories of friendship and community this is the book for you! The three ladies, Jessica, Lydia and Liz are all different ages, different social backgrounds and have different ways to worship. The one thing they have in common is the passion for helping people in need and each has suffered a great loss. The story grows as these ladies become more than friends, they become sisters of the heart. Such a beautifully written story of just the right amount of friends ...more
Catherine
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The Sisters of Sugarcreek is a warm, cozy novel, although somewhat slow and predictable. The book tells the story of 3 very different women who come together and form a deep friendship after a tragedy in their community. The storyline is sweet, and the characters were very likable, but because the story moved so slowly, I didn't feel very compelled to pick the book up very often and it took me longer than usual to complete. I also knew what the ending was going to be after reading only a few cha ...more
Nikki
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. Apologies to the author/publishing house, as I moved just after receiving this (and one other book), placed it in a moving box, and just recently found it. Perhaps there is a bigger force in hand though, as I have recently read a few books that gave me better insight into the lives of the Amish. This helped me really attach to one of the characters in The Sisters of Sugarcreek.
As I neared the end of the book I found myself reading it more slowly bec
Hannah
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Sisters of Sugarcreek by Cathy Liggett was such a sweet read. I loved all three of these women's stories and really hope that the author lets us dive into their world again. The mixture of these three women's sweet friendship is woven perfectly with the more serious topics that this book covers. Liz, Jessica, and Lydia all come from different backgrounds that might make there friendship seem unlikely but through one town tragedy they come together and find out they aren't too different.

5 ou
Cherese Akhavein
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author and I will check out more after reading this book. This book was wonderfully written and follows the lives of three women from different backgrounds who find themself pulled together as fast friends during a difficult time in thier life. It's heartwarming, heartbreaking and in the end uplifting to see how God's plan works for the good once again if we just keep the faith. I reccomend this book.
Vickie Jameson
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Sisters of Sugarcreek by Cathy Liggett is a thoroughly enjoyable read. The cover is what caught my attention and the description peaked my interest. What starts as a story of 3 women brought together by a tragic event in their community becomes a story of the beauty of lasting hope and friendship. It has elements of faith, love, family and community. Sugarcreek is a town I'd love to visit! This is the first book I've read by Cathy Liggett, but I hope it won't be the last.
Judy Aulik
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish-fiction
When single mother Jessica inherits her aunt's yarn and quilting store after a devastating church fire, Amish widow Lydia and real estate agent Liz enter her life and help her keep the store running as she learns the trade.
The first two-thirds of the novel are fantastic, but devolve into the "bonnet romance" formula by the end. Still, the characters are interesting and not quite in Christian fiction mold, and the setting is vividly drawn. If this is a genre you like, this is one of the best.
Barb Klein
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved “the Sisters of Sugarcreek” by Cathy Liggett. It is the story of three women who have suffered devastating losses. Two of the women are part of a secret society that tries to bring cheer to those in need - spiritually, financially, or personally by delivering gifts to those in need anonymously. One of the members of the Secret Stitches Society has passed away in a deadly fire that also took the life of a volunteer, the Amish husband of Lydia. Jessica inherits her Aunt Rose’s knit and qui ...more
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
I received a complementary copy from Tyndale Publishing House

While this story was OK over all, I didn't feel any connection to any of the main characters. From the first chapter we have Amish customs introduced to us, and even by chapter two I realized that I don't really agree with how they live. I don't mind that they live that way, but I would never be able to, and it kept me from being able to put myself into the story.
Debi Lantzer
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I saw this book and I just immediately KNEW my mom would want to read it. Firstly, we are from Ohio so anything midwestern is awesome to us. Thanks to the fact that I belong to the Tyndale Blog Network, I was able to get this book for review.

Here's what my mom had to say about The Sisters of Sugarcreek by Cathy Liggett:

"A tragedy happened in Sugarcreek, Ohio when a fire burned down Faith Community Church of Sugarcreek. It changed the lives of a lot of people that day, and two lives were lost - b
Anzie Layton Jethro
Wonderful, loved the characters and the friendship that they shared.

I truly enjoyed every moment living with each character of this book.
When you can live with the characters and be a part of there life, you know the book is worth sharing. Great read
I would like to read more by this aurthor
Kuulei
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this book! The lives of the 3 women-who range in age from young to old, and proves that you're never to old or young to learn a thing or two about life-in the story are well woven together, and I enjoyed every minute spent reading this book! Am looking forward to perhaps more about Lydia in books to come.
Melissa mckim
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Cathy! Boy was I happy to get to read. I really enjoyed this story..loved all the characters. My favorite character was Jessica even though I liked all the characters in this book. I love story takes place in my home state ohio. I might buy this book later so I can read it again or check if out the library re read it. I highly recommend it. Loved it
Tiffany
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a comfortable read. A lovely story of three women bonding over loss, hope, and finding love. It begins with heartache and pain, but shows what real friendship can get you through. This book was out of the ordinary for me, but I am so glad that I read it. With the holidays right around the corner this would be a great book to get tucked into.
Becky Leier
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Sisters of Sugarcreek by Cathy Liggett is thoroughly a good read. Three women who suffered devastating losses. Develop a friendship while trying to keep aunt Roses Knit One Quilt Too Cottage alive. Would love to see a sequel!!
Nellie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This is my first book I have read written by Cathy Liggett. It was a delightful book that kept me engaged from the start.
The vivid descriptions created a lovely picture in my mind. I
Evelyn Bickley
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Evelyn by: book club selection
More, more, more! I really want to read more about the women of Sugarcreek! I hope there's a sequel or at least another story set in the same place! The unlikely sisterhood of Jessica, Liz and Lydia is enchanting and charmingly told.
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book I will recommend. A real feel good book. I love how the imperfections that held the characters back were handled and every couple realized no one is perfect, nor is there one perfect aha moment in life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
I’ve been a Midwest girl all my life (oh, there were those 5 years when my one true love married me and whisked me off to live in New York – but I’ll get to that in a minute…). Born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio, by wonderful parents – now into their 70th year of marriage, can you imagine? – my childhood was as normal as normal can be.

Lucky for me, my family was so great, kind enough to endure al

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • A Burnt-Out Case
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99