Start by marking “Blood Memory (A Catherine McLeod Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Blood Memory (A Catherine McLeod Mystery)

Blood Memory

(Catherine McLeod #1)

A new novel from the “master” (Tony Hillerman) of the Wind River mysteries.

Catherine McLeod is an investigative reporter for the Journal, one of Denver’s major newspapers. Her recent coverage of the Arapaho and Cheyenne tribes filing a claim for twenty-seven million acres of their ancestral lands has made her the target for assassination. Her investigation uncovers a cons
Published September 2nd 2008 by Berkley Hardcover (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Memory

Start your review of Blood Memory (A Catherine McLeod Mystery)
Kate
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
I did not finish this. I reached the point at which I was making myself plow through another chapter and decided that life is too short. I'm assuming that she ends up still alive and somebody goes to prison or otherwise receives just deserts.
I really like the Wind River Reservation series and enjoy the characters there.
Beth
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this story a little boring.
M.E. Maki
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I should have read Blood Memory before The Perfect Suspect, as Blood Memory sets up the characters. In spite of that, it was another excellent read by Margaret Coel.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a new protagonist from an author who's other series I really like (the lawyer from that series does appear briefly in this book, but that is the only overlap). I liked about 80% of this, and thought it kind of unraveled a bit at the end, but not badly (maybe frayed at the end is a better analogy). The underlying theme is how Native Americans and big business might collude with casinos so that they both win--I thought it was believable and enjoyed it as a light read. ...more
Steven Howes
Feb 07, 2021 rated it liked it
One can always count on a solid and enjoyable read from Margaret Coel. I probably would have rated this one a bit higher if I had not still been recovering from the ending of her Wind River Mystery series. I believe this series has a great deal of potential and that Denver newspaper reporter Catherine McLeod will develop into a character that will equal those found in the Wind River series. Part of her family tree includes Arapaho ancestors and she finds it difficult to find her place in either ...more
Judy Pohlod
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful history of Colorado and the blood that was spilled at Sandcreek.

Living in Colorado, my son working at Denver Health Hospital, seeing the buildings and streets Catherine ran down made this story come alive for me. I follow all of her stories on a well marked map of Colorado and Wyoming. We plan on a trip to the Wind River Reservation, that's how alive and strong the research Margaret Coel puts into her books.
Laura Poppenwimer
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good murder mystery, not in the usual plot line in that the main character of the story is being followed by a hit man. This book was an interesting read, lots of rich descriptions of Denver. It also spend a lot of time on the horrific Sand Creek massacre that wiped out the peaceful Arapahoe and Cheyenne Indians camping there. This is the first novel I have read by this author and see that there is a 2nd Catherine McLeod novel available and I plan on ordering it.
Tracey S Choat
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy the history lessons

Not as good as the Wind River Reservation mysteries but I did enjoy the history lessons. Margaret Coel brings to life the history of the Arapaho & Cheyenne in this series. One of my favorite authors because of the research and empathy toward the tribes.
Kathie Sweet
Not up to par

I have read all of her Wind River books and struggled to put them down. This book prodded along and required stamina to complete. Maybe her character, Catherine McLeod, will get some depth. I sure hope so.
Carole Berkoff
Nov 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Compared to the other Margaret Coel books I have read, this one was very disappointing. Too much running different routes thru Denver was not very interesting. Too much hx of Sand Creek massacre & parts were very redundant. I very much enjoyed her other books about Wind River.
Vida
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't like it as well as I have liked the Wind River series books I have read. Figured out who was behind the contract to kill the reporter long before it is revealed. ...more
Tessa in North Florida
Not her best. Too much repetition of material from other books. The plot was fairly stretched and thin in places.
Cathy Ringler
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Blood Memory starts and ends well but the middle tends to drag.
Lisa
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Although I didn't like the protagonist too much, the story moved at a quick pace and kept me interested. Except I guessed who had ordered the contract on her right away. ...more
Sherry Hazen
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good. Even better than the Wind River series.
Lynette
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting history - thin plot - chicken shit ending - sigh
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5. I listened to the audio version. Not a good match between the book and the reader, though the reader would be very good with other books. Just not this one.
Nolan
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
A little slow in parts of the book. The hit man is a sniper but kills up close? Why?
Chick Marks
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
The heroine has a drinking problem that makes her less than believable
Carrie
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Denver based thriller that wasn’t too thrilling.
Jewett
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
great plot, great c=characters
Deb Snelson
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads won’t let me close book unless I write a review

Let me go . Let me close the book. I will cancel out of goodreads if this is how you operate
Roberta
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Certainly nor Wind River. I guess I got spoiled. Too contrived and certainly not a thriller.
Diane
Feb 17, 2015 added it
This book features Coel’s new detective, Catherine McLeod, a smart likeable investigative journalist. She feels compelled to personally figure out why there is a contract out on her rather than let the attractive police detective do it. She knows it’s related to a story she is writing about a plan to build a casino in Denver out near the airport. She does some of the inevitably stupid things that detectives do to put themselves in danger. But mostly I enjoyed the story.

Living in Denver it was fu
Mari
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this as a mystery book. I think some of the character development was a bit on the subdued side -- she seems to have a thing for the detective, for example but other than him seeing "very trustworthy" it's hard to really get much of a sense of his persona. Which is fine; it's not the point of the book. But basically all characters other than the main character seemed to be painted with a rather broad, basic brushstroke.

The topic of her identity also seemed a bit understated; sh
Carly Erbacher
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lpl-book-club
Truthfully, I'd give this a 3.5, but I rounded up because of the euphoria at the ending.

When I finished this book I stood up and said, "Fuck yeah, Catherine"! I felt as though the author got a little long winded in some parts (did we really need to read the articles Catherine had written?) and breezed past some important details (the reader never really got to know Maury and thus, it wasn't that emotional when he passed away). Plus, I could've used a lot more explanation about what happened to
Patricia
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-seven million acres of ancestral lands is the subject of the recent claims of the Arapaho and Cheyenne tribes and Catherine McLeod, investigative reporter for Denver’s Journal, is in on the story from the ground floor. The tribal leaders have taken her into their confidence. Catherine was adopted and her mother was Indian so Catherine feels particularly close to this story.

Catherine is noted for digging deep into the background for all her stories but it seems that someone doesn’t want th
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Catherine McLeod works for The Journal in Denver. She is covering a story about the Arapaho and Cheyenne tribes filing to reclaim their 27 million acres of land. Someone doesn't want her to know the details of this deal because she becomes the target of an assassin. She has narrowly escaped his attacks as she continues to uncover many secrets about a conspiracy that leads way back into the past and the founding of Denver itself. She also learns about her own heritage.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this b
Leslie Zampetti
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
While good enough, this stand-alone just doesn't live up to Coel's Vicky Holden novels. It's as if the idea was there, but the book just never came together. The strong characterizations and descriptions of the land are mostly missing in action, and this thriller about lands sought in reparation for past crimes against the Arapaho and Cheyenne - and in order to put up another Indian casino - just doesn't deliver the same punch Coel's fans are used to. One might suspect that Coel wrote herself in ...more
C
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good quick read, well paced mystery. Found myself distracted on anything regarding landmarks and roads trying to picture exactly where in Denver (or surrounding areas) it was!

A couple forehead slap worthy moments. Some very interesting history - I'd like to know just how accurate she got in relation to the Sand Creek Massacre (and historical accounts).

Liked enough to read once, no need to reread, so 3 stars.

Afternote:
I had wondered how many of the first hand accounts Catherine researched were
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Coyote's Regret (Manny Rivera #8)
  • Final Arrangements (Manny Rivera #9)
  • Death Saint (Manny Rivera #6)
  • Coyote Alibi (Naomi Manymules Book 1)
  • The Dead Chef of Santa Fe (Mike Damson Mystery, #2)
  • MoonShadow Murder (Manny Rivera, #4)
  • The Dead Man at Doyle Saddle (Mike Damson Mystery, #6)
  • The Victim at Vultee Arch (Mike Damson Mystery, #4)
  • The Arson at Happy Jack (Mike Damson Mysteries #5)
  • The Body at Midgley Bridge (Mike Damson Mystery #8)
  • Who She Was (Sylvia Wilcox Mysteries, #1)
  • The Murders at El Tovar (Mike Damson Mystery, #3)
  • Missing and Endangered (Joanna Brady #19)
  • Trails of Deception (Manny Rivera, #3)
  • Bad Penny: A John Treehorn Mystery (Short Read #1)
  • Rattlesnake Brother (Gabriel Hawke, #3)
  • Chattering Blue Jay (Gabriel Hawke, #4)
  • The Last Mrs. Summers (Her Royal Spyness, #14)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians. ...more

Catherine McLeod (2 books)
  • The Perfect Suspect