Start by marking “Trials of Death (Cirque Du Freak, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trials of Death (Cirque Du Freak, #5)

Trials of Death (Cirque du Freak #5)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  25,119 Ratings  ·  639 Reviews
Now in paperback--the fifth installment of the bestselling horror series featuring Darren Shan, the Vampire Prince, on a life-or-death mission.
Published April 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Trials of Death, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Patryk Stypulkowski
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Another frustrating TO BE CONTINUED...

Someone needs to explain to me why I paid $8 for a book that didn't have an ending to it. Honestly, it didn't have a beginning either because that was in book 4 Vampire Mountain. It's just the next installment in one long book you have to read one part at a time. I bitched about this when I reviewed Vampire Mountain. Maybe it's just me but when I pay for a novel I think it should be a full NOVEL with a beginning, middle and an end. Isn't that what I paid f

Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

James Trevino
This was an improvement over the previous book but not by much. The plot is still going nowhere up until the last few pages, but at least Trials of Death was action packed. I feel like the series has lost some of it's appeal with the lack of the Cirque background. Not that the vampire society is not interesting, but it alone is not enough to maintain interest. Maybe the next one will be better.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I went back and forth with being disgusted by the storyline and riveted at the same time. Yes, it was a weird experience.

‘Trials of Death’ wasn’t filler-ish, better than the fourth because the pacing and almost non-stop action made it hard to put down. Action scenes were excellent, nail-grinding, detailed, spaced right. Some disturbing stuff happened during the trails, especially the weird flame stuff.

Characters are more fleshed out, seeming livelier and not imitations of their former selves (t
Miranda Reads
THIS IS NOT going to resolve anything of value

I've noticed that Shan tends to end his books with a big TO BE CONTINUED ... but there's a difference between ending the book with a bit of a cliff hanger...versus literally stopping in the middle of a story. This is a case of the latter.

Deeeeep Breaths.

In this novel, we find Darren competing in the Vampire Trials. Either he manages to prove himself worthy of becoming a full vampire or his life will be cut extremely short.

These trials are meant to
Re-read 14.7.17: Vrátila jsem se k re-readu, protože se mi o sérii zdálo... Od pětky dál je to pěkně depresivní. Věděla jsem, proč čekám. Zkoušky mě ale baví z mnoha důvodů - ať už to samotné zkoušení, opilecká fiesta nebo ten konec... Oh, you break my heart every time I read this, Darren.

Nakonec se mi to líbilo ještě více než předchozí díly. Hezky to uteklo a zkoušky byly fakt vymakaný nápad. Bohužel ten konec... Ach! To mi Shan neměl dělat...

Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just LOVE this Series!
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Páni... tak tohle byl zatím nejlepší díl ze všech. Doufám, že to takhle bude i dál a s každým dílem to bude lepší a lepší
Nic Echo
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: Tesk
About the Book:
When we last left Darren, he was told that he would have to complete five deadly trials to prove himself a worthy vampire. Not only are the trials themselves deadly, but if Darren fails in any way besides death, he will be executed. It is actually after one of these trials that Darren learns about a treacherous plot that involves the vampaneze.

This book was filled with action and kept me turning the page (especially near the end). Darren's trials were interesting and even t
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty harrowing and brutal, this macabre fifth book in the running Cirque du Freak series continues in the vein of all those that came before it with a lot of action, a lot of blood, and a lot of fun. I liked this one better than the last, as I felt it got a little more involved. But, being a fan of the entire series, I have yet to be disappointed, at all. Shan delivered darkness with Trials by Death, and I would have expected nothing less.

Five Stars!

Directly after hearing that he must face vicious trials or die, Darren Shan takes on the Trials of Initiation in Trials of Death. The consequence for not passing the Trials is death by being dropped on spikes over and over until death takes you. The Trials are hard enough for adult full-vampires, so how will our half-vampire protagonist fare? One things for sure, if Darren passes the Trials he might have wished he didn’t in the end.

The plot in Trials of Death is all about Darren going throug
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay loved re-reading this one :D It's my favourite of the series. Loved the reappearance of (view spoiler), and the betrayal by (view spoiler) was rather intense! I didn't remember that one. But the descriptions of the (view spoiler) would have freaked me out! My paranoia and my imagination would have made me crazy. Darren's so brave.
Charlotte van den Berg
In Trials of Death Darren has to prove himself in five trials. Every book in this series is so different from the rest but I think this was my favorite so far, because it surprised me the most.

I was kind of bored during the first half of the book. I have read several books with trials a lot like these, so I thought that this was going to be one of the more predictable books in the series (Darren almost dies a few times but in the end he will probably succeeds in the trials, then i can move on to
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personally, this is my favourite book of the twelve (although I am sure not everyone will agree with me on this one, yet nobody can deny that it is an important book in the series for developments). This is a fast paced book filled with Darren completing tasks to prove himself a worthy vampire. The tasks he takes part in are all well thought out and highly entertaining to read, keeping you on the edge of your seat as you wait to find out what happens next.

The book also comes with a great twist t
Gillian Murrell
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a big step up from he last book, Darren has to complete 5 trials which will be randomly drawn. I will admit to having tears in my eyes after the 3rd trial. Failure to complete a trail ends in a very painful death and if you loose a trail you are dead anyway. How can the vampires expect Darren to survive I know he is good but this is taking it a bit far he is just a kid after all.
Ahmad Sharabiani
آنها گفتند: اگر بتوانم از آزمون های سختی که برایم درنظر گرفته میشد، موفق بیرون بیایم، مرا خواهند پذیرفت، چیزی که به من نگفتند این بود که اگر در آزمونی موفق نمیشدم کشته میشدم. ا. شربیانی
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch
This was definitely the best book of the series yet! Lots of action and a huge plot twist in the end I'm starting the next one immediately
Orinthia Lee
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waduh endingnya bikin pengen langsung baca lanjutannya... tp baru nyewa sampai nomor ini doang...
Holly Ryanne
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendo giro de acontecimientos :O
a seguir con la sexta parte !
If I pass I'll be accepted into the clan.
Failure isn't an option...

Hell! YES!

That was awesome; Trials of Death, is awesome! As I progress, each new entry pushes its predecessor out of the way to become my favourite. Spine-tingling action balanced with a fantastic plot and a cast of characters who are unique and utterly encapsulating. Trials of Death does a helluva lot: a stellar story which pushes forward an overarching plot; cast development that deepens the depth of already nicely fleshed ch
Nikki May
Riley Naughton
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trials of Death by Darren Shan is an outstanding book! I have been an avid reader and fan of the series since its debut in 2000. I remember reading the series since 6th grade and loving it ever since, despite the less than adequate movie. This book is the fifth installment in the franchise and never gets old. This story takes place after Darren and Mr. Crepsley, his vampire mentor, have been traveling from the Cirque for a while. Darren has been a half-vampire for a while now but cannot be a ful ...more
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trails of Death
By: Darren Shan

ISBN: 0316000957
224 Pages
Publisher: Little Brown Young Readers

Darren Shan takes his chances and starts his trails to become a vampire. Does he succeed, or does he have to face death? Darren Shan tries to survive and become a vampire. Will he survive? You would have to read this great book in order to find out. Darren Shan has once again written an amazing book. Darren is more creative than ever. He is, once again, doing a great job with the description.

Christine Irvin
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this 5th book of the Cirque de Freak series, Darren is still at Vampire Mountain. He has to face five trails, known as the Trials of Death. Darren must compete the trials to prove he has what it takes to be a vampire. Five trials must be completed. The trials get their name from the fact that if you can't compete them, you are sentenced to death. They are also called that because many vampires die in an attempt to compete the trials.

The trials are chosen at random. None of them is easy. Darre
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book Cirque Du freak book 5 the trials of death was a very interesting book because the book is about a boy named Darren Shan who is a Half vampire but he wants to become a full one but to become a full vampire he must take this test that is not on paper it is a physical exam and the best but weird part is that if Darren fails to complete or pass the test he will be sentenced to death.I know what you are thinking about this book right now but it is really a great book\novel to read ...more
Lör K.
This might be my favourite instalment of The Saga of Darren Shan out of all of them.

In this book, Darren must face five horrific trials by order of the Vampire Council to see if he is worthy enough to join them. If not, he will die - if the trials don't kill him first.

This was a brilliant book! Shan's writing flows so perfectly, it's hard not to be dragged into the story. His words kept me hooked on every single page, and I could not stop turning the pages until I had no more to read. The desc
Jose Reyes
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elio Zebinato
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was amazing and it left me at a huge cliffhanger. In this story Darren has to prove himself to the vampires by doing three trials to show that he is a vampire as well. He must fight underwater mazes, caves filled with spikes and a room full of fire.

The book overall was amazing. It included so much action that I could barely stop myself from reading it. Each chapter just made the reader wonder more and more if Darren would be able to survive the trials. As the reader continues the book
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to read the next book. Immediately. As in, I should be reading the next one right now instead of reviewing this. This book had me on edge the entire time; I had to know what happened next so I couldn’t put it down. Darren Shan’s writing is so easy for me to read that I’m almost always able to finish a book in one sitting. Trials of Death was filled with plenty of action, comedy, and characters that I absolutely adore. There’s also a major twist involved (that I called, just saying) that h ...more
word game 6 18 Jun 11, 2013 12:08PM
  • The Haunting Hour: Chills in the Dead of Night
  • Paris, 1850 (Vampire Plagues, #2)
  • Blood Captain (Vampirates, #3)
  • Twelfth Grade Kills (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #5)
  • Midnight Predator (Den of Shadows, #4)
  • Groosham Grange (Groosham Grange, #1)
  • The Sister of the South (Dragons of Deltora, #4)
  • Godchild, Volume 04
  • Reckoning (Bloodline, #2)
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak
More about Darren Shan...

Cirque du Freak (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1)
  • The Vampire's Assistant
  • Tunnels of Blood
  • Vampire Mountain (Cirque Du Freak, #4)
  • The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6)
  • Hunters of the Dusk (Cirque Du Freak, #7)
  • Allies of the Night (Cirque du Freak, #8)
  • Killers of the Dawn (Cirque Du Freak, #9)
  • The Lake of Souls
  • Lord of the Shadows (Cirque Du Freak, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“The hands of Fate keep time on a heart-shaped watch."

- Harkat Mulds(The Trials of Death)”
“They're going to demand your death, Darren.” 4 likes