Start by marking “Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold” as Want to Read:
Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold

Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  5 reviews
(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)

In honor of the hundredth anniversary of Evelyn Waugh’s birth, four of the master’s most wickedly scathing comedies are here brought together in one volume.

Black Mischief is Waugh at his most mischievous–inventing a politically loopy African state as a means of pulverizing politics at home. In Scoop, it is journalism’s turn to be drawn and qua
Published August 5th 2003 by Everyman's Library (first published June 19th 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold

Shawn
Have also read Black Mischief and Scoop. Neither quite as biting and sad as The Loved One, nor as funny, I thought. But still very good. I shall keep the collection at four stars.

I read The Loved Ones in this collection so far. It was really great, I wasn't sure what to expect (I think I expected some sort of love story, which I sort of got, but not really). Quite funny and biting and a little bit sad. Those Brits, they can be so clever.

patty
A very interesting, semi-autobiographical account of Waugh's descent into hallucinatory madness due to drug and alcohol abuse.
umberto
I admire "Black Mischief" (June 4, 2006) for Waugh's hilarity. Read it and you'd like his dark humor.
Bob
SCOOP and PINFOLD are particularly brilliant. Waugh's prose drips with beauty, and is hilarious to boot.
Charles Vilina
Truly the king of literary satire. Waugh shocks and awes his way into your heart!
Nellie Guille
Nellie Guille marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Loida Pan
Loida Pan marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Brian Weaver
Brian Weaver marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
chris.lafortune
chris.lafortune marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Frank Dufriend
Frank Dufriend marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Ken French
Ken French marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Evelyn Waugh's father Arthur was a noted editor and publisher. His only sibling Alec also became a writer of note. In fact, his book “The Loom of Youth” (1917) a novel about his old boarding school Sherborne caused Evelyn to be expelled from there and placed at Lancing College. He said of his time there, “…the whole of English education when I was brought up was to produce prose writers; it was al ...more
More about Evelyn Waugh...
Brideshead Revisited A Handful of Dust Scoop Vile Bodies The Loved One