Start by marking “Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold” as Want to Read:
Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold

Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)

In honor of the hundredth anniversary of Evelyn Waugh’s birth, four of the master’s most wickedly scathing comedies are here brought together in one volume.

Black Mischief is Waugh at his most mischievous–inventing a politically loopy African state as a means of pulverizing politics at home. In Scoop, it is journalism’s turn to be drawn and qua
Published August 5th 2003 by Everyman's Library (first published June 19th 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Black Mischief, Scoop, The Loved One, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold

Shawn
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partially-read
Have also read Black Mischief and Scoop. Neither quite as biting and sad as The Loved One, nor as funny, I thought. But still very good. I shall keep the collection at four stars.

I read The Loved Ones in this collection so far. It was really great, I wasn't sure what to expect (I think I expected some sort of love story, which I sort of got, but not really). Quite funny and biting and a little bit sad. Those Brits, they can be so clever.

Bob
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
SCOOP and PINFOLD are particularly brilliant. Waugh's prose drips with beauty, and is hilarious to boot.
Charles Vilina
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Truly the king of literary satire. Waugh shocks and awes his way into your heart!
umberto
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, classics
I admire "Black Mischief" (June 4, 2006) for Waugh's hilarity. Read it and you'd like his dark humor.
patty
Apr 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
A very interesting, semi-autobiographical account of Waugh's descent into hallucinatory madness due to drug and alcohol abuse.
Katharina Koller
Jerry M
Nov 25, 2013
Pidge Heisler
Oct 23, 2007
Evelyn Waugh's father Arthur was a noted editor and publisher. His only sibling Alec also became a writer of note. In fact, his book “The Loom of Youth” (1917) a novel about his old boarding school Sherborne caused Evelyn to be expelled from there and placed at Lancing College. He said of his time there, “…the whole of English education when I was brought up was to produce prose writers; it was al ...more
More about Evelyn Waugh...