Start by marking “The Phantom” as Want to Read:
The Phantom

The Phantom

When Reggie Westlake turns up at the school rally marking the start of the football season, the crowd goes wild. He's the greatest player Stony Bay High School ever had. Quarterback and Captain, Reggie led the winning team for two years running, raising the school spirit higher than ever before. No one could forget his black and gold jersey bearing the number nine. He'll a ...more
Paperback, Point Horror, 198 pages
Published December 1994 by Scholastic Point

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom

Ken
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
People start spotting star quarterback Reggie Westerman around the school a year after he’s death. Reggie was killed accidentally during a match the previous year. Is he’s spirt out to seek revenge and is that spot on the team now cursed?
After a promising start this story was slightly underwhelming.

I liked how it tackled Jilly’s grief as she was dating Reggie at the time and how it impacted the whole school.
I liked the image of the American Footballer stalking the school, but the story felt poor
Nattie
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: incomplete
What a waste of paper. Barbara Steiner has written some quality books, and some not so quality books, The Phantom is one of the poorly written ones. It was bad from the first word to the last.

Amelia spends much of the story either trying to console her friend Jilly, or getting mad at Jilly for being unable to move past her former boyfriend's death.

Things kick off in September, Reggie Westlake died 10 months prior. Jilly HAD apparently managed to move past his death until the first day of schoo
Bex
Dec 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
After a first chapter where the dead quarter back mysteriously appears at a pep rally this goes from teen drama to horror movie and back again. All the while it fails to build the suspense and tension needed for this to be scary.

I seem to remember hating this in the 90's and age hasn't improved it.
Rebecca McNutt
The Phantom wasn't all that great, to say the least. I didn't have overly high expectations to begin with, but it was so predictable and generic that I just found it boring.
Rachael Hewison
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This has to be one of the worst Point Horror books I've read. Most Point Horrors leave a cliffhanger at the end of the chapter to get you to keep reading. This barely had any so I had no incentive to keep reading. I'm also not very good at spotting who is going to be the bad guy in these books but within the first few chapters I knew exactly who it was so most of the book was just spent waiting for the inevitable.
Guero
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lol wow, so many dislike this book! I do not remember how bad the writing was but i remember the story well. I read this book in elementary. But i gave it a 5 because i remember loving it and thinking of it made me smile. Seeing this is actually making me want to read it again. Maybe like watching a really old movie ill realize how terrible it truly was lol.
Brittany
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Phantom, a book which use to belong to my sister now rests on my bookshelf. I diffidently didn't expect the ending when I read it. It's a good horror book. Not too scary, but not-how do i put this- not something I'd read to a little child.
Sally
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not really sure what was going on in this book, but somehow I still sort of enjoyed it. 2 stars may be a bit harsh, but I just wish that I could have understood what was happenning!
Michelle
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
One of my childhood favorites.
Johnny Bennett
Not bad but pretty predictable in my mind. Decently written.
Drucilla
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: s
Early stuff written for YA and middle grade is really simplistic so while this is an interesting story, it's unfortunately a product of the time it was written.
MISS C L BROWN
Nathalie
May 14, 2015
Andrew
Jun 09, 2015
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Krazy 4 U
  • The Invitation
  • The Ripper
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Amnesia
  • The Stranger
  • The Yearbook
  • The Watcher
Also writes under the name Barbara A. Steiner.