Start by marking “Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully, #2)

Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully #2)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  571 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
SHERIFF BO TULLY OF BLIGHT COUNTY, IDAHO, IS BACK.When the call comes in that Mike Wilson, the unlikable owner of West Branch Lodge, has gone missing, Sheriff Tully is delighted. This is an excellent opportunity for Tully, his tracker pal Dave, and his retired sheriff father, Pap, to enjoy a few evenings of hot tubs and single-malt scotch at the luxurious lodge while worki ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Avalanche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avalanche

Echoes from the Hills of Idaho by Ruth   ButlerCoeur d'Alene Waters by Ned HayesKiller Weekend by Ridley PearsonFaraway Places by Tom SpanbauerBlue Heaven by C.J. Box
Books Set in Idaho
89 books — 29 voters
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Ice and Snow
507 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second Bo Tully story I have read and it's even more enjoyable than the first. The interplay between the characters, Bo father and ex-sheriff who made a fortune as a corrupt sheriff, Lurch, his CSI, Daisy, the secretary, and Herb, the under-sheriff, is charming and humorous.

Bo is called to a resort in the mountains to investigate the disappearance of the co-owner. On the way they are barely missed by an avalanche which we soon learn was deliberately aimed at his vehicle. No more spoi
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
When someone recommends that I read a book, I generally check out the other books they have wrote. In this case I didn't have to, I have read some of the other books that Patrick F. McManus has written. Such wonderful wonders of comic relief like 'The Grasshopper Trap' 'They Shoot Canoes Don't They?' and of course...'Real Ponies Don't go Onik.' with such a line up how bad could one of his serious mysteries be? Well for one thing I would think it would depend a lot on your definition of serious. ...more
Tommy Jacobs
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Bo Tully.
Jaeger Matthias
very good. i like Patrick McManus because it is so funny!
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-states-2017
I needed a fiction book set in Idaho for a reading challenge, so I chose this one. Now I will be adding Patrick McManus to my readable authors list in both fiction and nonfiction. Bo Tully and his supporting cast are quite interesting and clever. The book reminded me of Agatha Christie--good mystery, no gore or explicit crud, touches of humor-- so I am a happy reader.
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
PROTAGONIST: Sheriff Bo Tully
SETTING: Blight County, Idaho
SERIES: #2 of 2

You wouldn't think that being a law enforcement official in Blight County, Idaho, would keep you very busy. Surprisingly, Sheriff Bo Tully and the folks in his department usually find themselves very involved in strange goings-on in the area. This time, Bo receives a call from the owner of a local ski lodge that her husband, Mike Wilson, has disappeared. Nobody is crying about him being gone, but it is strange th
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it

Just plain and simple, a fun read, quirky conversation and perspsectives at times, and a few twists and turns in the story line.

I had never heard of Patrick J. McManus prior to reading Avalanche, but now I have an idea of what his columns in Outdoor Life and Field & Stream must be like: comical but with a purpose.

That is how Avalanche was to me...a book with many funny (even silly) moments, but with a fine mystery plot underneath it all. Sheriff Bo Tully is instantly likeable to the reader (even moreso to nearly every female character in this book, including the married and the senior citizens), but not superficial b
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: idaho
AVALANCHE (Police Proc-Sheriff Bo Tully-Idaho-Cont) – Poor
McManus, Patrick F. – 2nd in series
Simon & Schuster, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9781416532651
First Sentence: He stood at window studiously watching the large fluffy snowflakes fill up his mother’s backyard.
*** Sheriff Bo Tully and his father, Pap, head to West Branch Lodge to investigate the disappearance of lodge owner Mike Wilson. They barely escape being caught in an avalanche but are now cut off and must proceed with their investi
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you have never read any of Patrick F. McManus' short stories you are missing out on a great laugh. You are actually missing out on a great many, because the more you read the more you realize how many situations in life have a McManus parallel.
Avalanche is the second Bo Tulley mystery novel written by McManus. As a long time fan of Patrick McManus I am impressed with his switch to novels (though I still subscribe to "Outdoor Life" just to read his short stories every month). Avalanche was a
Sheriff Bo Tully is called up the mountain to find the missing owner of West Branch Lodge outside of Blight, Idaho. Mike Wilson is the kind of person, that not many people miss, so there are plenty of suspects to keep him and Pap busy when an avalanche traps them and all the guests at the lodge.

Why I started it: Couldn't decide what book to finish in my books that I was reading, so I picked up this one and finished it first.

Why I finished it: I liked this book better than the first, mostly becau
Disparlure Nagle
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was just like his childhood stories, but with a little bit of Sam Spade mixed in. I would definitely recommend this more to someone who appreciated McManus's earlier works rather than someone who is a big fan of the mystery genre. I did note that there was this persistent high level, somewhat-over-the-top swagger by the lead character. I wasn't sure whether McManus was making fun of the "hard-boiled detective" archetype of if this was just the way he thought a detective story should re ...more
Justin Regenscheid
The beginning of this book started off slow. once it got going it started to get faster and way much more intersting, it just makes you not wanna stop reading. so far i think this book is very exelent and is very thrilling.
this book is an excelent book it was a mystery throguht out the whole book so it caught my eye to where i didnt want to put the book down, i always wanted to know what was going to happen next. so it is a very good book to read.
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it
We've listened to a lot of the Patrick McManus books on tape about outdoorsmen and hunting and growing up in Idaho and got a lot of laughs. This was different than those, but still his dry humorous style that we like.
It was an unusual mystery because of the "women" and sheriff who thinks everyone loves him, etc. but goes right along with McManus' style, and it was a nice read, and not a bad mystery either.
Sep 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This is McManus's second "Sheriff Bo Tully" book and my second McManus book. What can you say about a story that includes an avalanche purposely set to kill Bo, a retired sheriff (Bo's father) who's greatest desire is to shoot someone -- anyone, a group of extreme-living fraternity boys, a suspicious bartender and one of Bo's old flame -- who'd like to re-kindle that flame?
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are times that McManus draws upon earlier life experiences that are collected in his articles. However, it never feels stilted, and the way he presents them in these mysteries evokes a feeling of a favorite place revisited. Always a pleasure to read, once you start this series it is difficult to put down!
Renée Mee
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
McManus is not an incredible writer but an entertainer he is. He writes with great humour and I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I hope he keeps writing his sheriff Tully series with its real characters who are all too human. Going to hunt down the few other books in this series. Nice to have a mystery and a smile on your face.
Camrynn Crayton
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book kinda bored me a little. Don't get me wrong it was a great adventure & I enjoyed some of it, but I didn't like the fact that he made such little progress day by day. All this book is, is he's stuck in a snow grave, and he's debating on killing himself of not. I also found the ending very cliche. It's the exact kind of ending i'd expect from a book of this type.
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Light amusement, second in series about VERY small town sheriff Bo Tully (sheriff is an inherited position in that town). He has been a widower for 10 years, and drags his 70+ year old lecher father and a fake Indian diner owner with him on all his murder investigations.
May 04, 2009 rated it liked it
The sequel to Blight Way, pretty good although I can see it getting predictable in a hurry if I keep reading the series. I don't know if there are any more in this series, however, so I'm safe for now.
I have no idea why this book is still in my currently reading list. I finished it ages ago. It was another fun and entertaining full-length McManus romp. I'm just guessing at my finish date based on the open dates between book number one and his "how-to write humor" book.
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Should have worked for my demographic (outdoorsy, Western, police procedural)--but didn't. That said, this would work for someone wanting an easy, funny read--sort of a guys version of a culinary cozy, if you will. Idaho. Sheriff Bo Tully. I didn't finish.
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a humorous mystery by one of my favorite authors. I just discovered his mysteries. The main character, Sheriff Bo Tully, is pretty full of himself. He still misses his wife who died 10 years previously. He is a sheriff/artist. I enjoy his relationship with his "pap".
Dec 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is Pat McManus' second Bo Tully mystery, and it is an improvement over the first in the series. It has a returning cast of eccentric, outdoorsy characters and a much better crafted mystery. An enjoyable read for fans of the author.
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
I expected more from someone who almost shares my last name and is writing about Idaho. As a mystery it wasn't very mysterious, and as humor it wasn't that funny. Unless you are trapped in a remote cabin with nothing else to read, don't bother.
Robb Menlove
Dec 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Another fun read from the greatest outdoor humorist. Delightful, quick read that is great for a snowy day. Good mystery. Enough clues to get some of the mystery, but plenty of surprises. I read everything he writes.
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, outdoors
As always, Patrick McManus made me smile. This is his version of a mystery: set in the wilds of Idaho, lovable/laughable characters, and a twisted sense of humor. This is a very easy read and perfect for a cold winter night.
Joey Vanboxel
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a good book. It is good if you like to read comedys. It is also a mystery book. So its a mystery that makes you laugh
I could have laughed all night and still have laughed some more!
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another fun McManus book!
  • The Truth of Me
  • The Hoard of the Doges
  • William Tell Told Again
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • Grave Beginnings (The Grave Report, #1)
  • Dying for a Dance (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder, Lies and Chocolate (Death by Chocolate #2)
  • Freddy and the Bean Home News
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children: Selections from Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, O.Henry, London, Longfellow, Irving Aesop, Homer, Cervantes, Hawthorne, and More
  • Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery #1)
  • Vatican Knights (Vatican Knights, #1)
  • All Washed Up (The Misadventures of the Laundry Hag, #3)
  • Peter Duck: A Treasure Hunt in the Caribbees (Swallows and Amazons, #3)
  • The Jump (Time Change #1)
  • Dreamwalker (The Red Dragon Academy, #1)
  • Ill-Gotten Panes (Stained-Glass, #1)
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...

Sheriff Bo Tully (6 books)
  • The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)
  • The Double-Jack Murders (Sheriff Bo Tully, #3)
  • The Huckleberry Murders: A Sheriff Bo Tully Mystery
  • The Tamarack Murders: A Bo Tully Mystery
  • Circles in the Snow: A Bo Tully Mystery

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep