Start by marking “The Mistress Bride” as Want to Read:
The Mistress Bride

The Mistress Bride

(Hot-Blooded Husbands #1)

MARRIED — TO HIS MISTRESS?

The whole world was interested in Sheikh Raschid Al Kadah and Evie Delahaye. Despite fierce opposition from their families their passionate, high-profile affair had lasted for two ecstatic years — but everyone knew that soon the relationship would have to end. Raschid was expected to marry an Arabian princess, Evie's mother was pushing her towards
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #2056, 192 pages
Published October 1999 by Harlequin Presents (first published May 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Mistress Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mistress Bride

Start your review of The Mistress Bride
boogenhagen
StMargarets
3 1/2 stars. I'm not a fan of sheikh stories, so MR had to work hard to win me over. I think what I liked best was that the author didn't gloss over the problems of a western woman involved with a man from the Middle East.

There were prejudices from both sides - and what made them compelling were that they were well meaning judgments. The heroine's mother is pretty horrible to her daughter at her son's wedding, but she shows her love and concern when the heroine needs her the most. The hero's
KatieV
I'm in the minority on this one it seems.

I think what bothered me was that in this case the pregnancy was SUCH a cop-out. It's a well-used trope in mistress plots. In fact, it usually doesn't bother me because it really makes the H face up to his feelings for the heroine and sometimes realize he's been a huge jerk and loves her.

In this case the two already supposedly professed their love for one another, but the understanding was that as an Arab prince he would one day have to leave the heroine
Vintage
Very mixed emotions. So much was done right, then not. It's still a good angsty read, and I felt the language and poetry better done than most Harlequins.

As just about every other reviewer has said, the Sheikh romance is not my go-to romance. This tale had a strong whiff of Olivia Gates who, for me, is the standard bearer for Sheikh's and their tormented h's romances. Probably works so well with Olivia Gates as both MC's come from similar backgrounds as opposed to the rest that star
Jacqueline J
This one was very different from most HPs. The 2 of them had been lovers for the last two years which neither family liked. However, now she is pregnant and he is being pressured to marry a nice girl from his own culture. So the story involves them deciding to be together anyway and troubles ensue. However, they admit they love each other from the very first which is very different from most HPs and he is never really an ass to her. Anyway an interesting different read. I really enjoyed it.
Nikki ღ Navareus
***2.75 STARS***
This wasn't too terrible of a story. Wish I had felt more connection between the main characters. I also think I'm out of touch with the culture of the Hero. His culture and offstandish ways didn't exactly have me rooting for Raschid and Evie to get married. There was plenty of drama in this story, but even that wasn't enough to keep me in love with this story.
Jenny
Apr 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: heroine-i-hated
I never felt heroine's love for the hero. Hero was smitten with her and did everything in his power to make their relationship work but she never met him halfway. Plus I felt the author was very insulting to the Arabian culture.
Tina
Leona
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Evie and Raschid come from very different worlds. For the past two years they have been conducting a very public affair to the chagrin and consternation of both families. They know that their time together is limited since Raschid will one day become king and must marry a woman from his own country. Evie becomes pregnant and of course, Raschid declares that they will marry for the sake of his heir. He becomes absolutely possessive and will stop at nothing to marry Evie.

What could have been a
Chitra *CJ*
"The Mistress Bride" is the story of Rashid and Evie, and has got to be one of the best mistress-baby trope books Ive ever read.
Sheikh Raschid Al Kadah and Evie Delahaye both belong to royalty from different parts of the world- and both face opposition from their respective parents and fascination from the rest of the world- but this hasnt stopped them from engaging in a scorching love affair for two years.
Things take an abrupt halt when two things happen simulataneously- Raschid's father falls
KC
I enjoyed this, but felt Evie loved Raschid slightly more than he loved her. In an ideal world, which is what romance is all about, the hero should always love the heroine more than she loves him. She wouldn't be shortchanging him because she'd still love him tons. :)

Anyway, the happy ending came about a little too conveniently. They'd already been together for two years, but Raschid hadn't proposed yet. If this hadn't happened to Evie, (view spoiler), I think
shms

Truly excellent. On second reading I've upped 4*'s to 5.

Michelle Reid is an awesome writer and excels at angst, heartbreak and the HEA, and here she achieves the perfect balance between the romance, the conflict, the resolution and HEA, wrapped up in a sexy tale. She does this with insight and depth you do not see in current Mills & Boon/Harlequin books.

This tale has the typical trappings of a Mills & Boon, pure fantasy in its setting. Yet the core of it is a real reflection on the
Fiona Marsden
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: If you like short sweet stories with a bit of heat
Was this the best book ever? Probably not. Did it make me cry? Yes. So five stars.

Evie and Raschid are lovers and in love when we meet them at the beginning of the book. So where is the story you may well ask?

For two years they have had a high profile affair. Not their choice but when you are an Arab prince and a high society British gal, the paparazzi are bound to be on your case. The affair has always had an end date, because there is a cousin of a cousin waiting back home in the Middle East
LuvGirl
Michelle Reid is an excellent writer. She writes such vivid fiery passion between her hero and heroine. They always come to life and jump out at you. This story was a huge cop out though. The relationship between the leads gave me everything I was expecting, but came to an abrupt stall when I realized that I was just going to be reading another hero marries heroine because she was pregnant story-line. I was hoping for a tangible story with the lovers conflict being resolved in a substantial way. ...more
iamGamz
An engaging story about the test of true love. Evie and Raschid had their love for each other tested time after time. But in the end they found they were stronger than the people who tried to stand in their way.

Their story kept me turning pages to see how it would all play out.
Luzia Bielefeld *BookWhore BR*
He was going to marry another and just stayed with her because she got pregnant. He never found the heroin good enough to be his wife.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG this book. Classic Michelle Reid. Wonderful characters, you could feel how madly in love they were. Her writing moves me as always. Loved.
Leyns
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I just really disliked the fact that if she hadn't fallen pregnant by accident, he would've married someone else. He was going to dump her. But then, dammit you're pregnant and now I have to marry you. How romantic. It's what a girl always dreams about.
Melanie♥
Just did a re-read of this one. I rated it 4 stars a few years ago, but I'm upping it to 5.
Wonderfully angsty and almost no big misunderstandings.
Kaycee ❤️
I really liked this book but didn’t love it. It took me a while to get through it, but I did enjoy the story. And I'm glad that the hero was in love with the heroine from the start.
KathyB
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of "sheikh" heroes, but I loved this one. The relationship between the hero & heroine was great, very modern considering it was written 20 years ago.

My only reservation would be (view spoiler) .

This was a good HP, fantastic hero and a surprisingly strong
Shatarupa  Dhar
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had it all, from forever disappointed parents to rebellion against the world, when in love. This has the power to put any reader through an emotional wringer.

Like some of the reviewers before me, I too am not a great fan of ‘Sheikh’ romances, but Raschid clinched a spot among top bookish romantic heroes. He is truly in love with her, and against their family’s aristocratic, and cultural snobbery, he and Evie weather all the storms together. The writing is so wonderful (and very few
Roub
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
mind-blowing ! absolutely beautiful one ! it's not like other sheikh stories which is pure fantasy where the english heroine is readily accepted as wife 2 the sheikh. in this one, they had 2 work at it. it broke my heart how evie lost her self-respect, how she suffered humiliation n how low she sunk. she loved rachid too much! she sacrificed so much, everything; her pride, her family's honour, her future n marriage 2 harry while all along rachid knew his duty, clinged 2 it n wud have married ...more
Carmen
I loved this HP. I have been enjoying this series MR has created. Normally the mistress theme leaves me flat as it smacks of parasitic and exploitive behaviors best left out of a love story. Very few authors can handle this theme adroitly but MR, in this case, certainly has. The characters are fiercely honest about their feelings for one another while in, what they consider a very improbable, impossible relationship. They return in a delightful cameo, in A Passionate Marriage.
Missy
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A hot passionate read......true love/soul mates = kismet.
Penny Watson
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-hps
4.5 stars, rounded up

Damn tootin' good.

And that's my professional opinion.

:^)
Sharn Gill
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I hated this book, the hero was weak the heroine was weak and I just get angry thinking about this book at all
Mudpie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angela Schmangela
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old school HP

This book is one of my old favorites, and I still reread it every couple of years. It’s a book that’s both well plotted and emotional.

Evie is British upper crust. Raschid is the son of a Sheik. He is expected to marry the daughter of the Sheik of a neighboring country. Despite all the obstacles and impossibilities of their relationship, they are in a blistering hot affair that shows no signs of stopping....up until her mother and his father do their best to end it.

The book does

• Wife in the Shadows
  • Greek's Baby of Redemption
  • The Marriage He Must Keep (The Wrong Heirs #1)
  • The Secret Wife
  • The Cozakis Bride
  • The Secrets She Carried
  • Consequence of His Revenge
  • Duarte's Child
  • Blackmailed by the Greek's Vows
  • The Italian Demands His Heirs (Billionaires at the Altar #2)
  • The Billionaire's Pregnant Mistress (Petronides Brothers Duo #1; Greek Tycoons #4)
  • A Savage Betrayal
  • The Petrakos Bride
  • The Secret Beneath the Veil
  • His Mistress with Two Secrets (The Sauveterre Siblings #2)
  • Married to a Mistress (The Husband Hunters, #1)
  • The Italian's Suitable Wife
  • Ruthlessly Bedded, Forcibly Wedded (Innocent Wives #2)
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some

Hot-Blooded Husbands (5 books)
  • The Sheikh's Chosen Wife