Start by marking “The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse” as Want to Read:
The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse

The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse

Come to terms with your past while moving powerfully into the future

The Courage to Heal is an inspiring, comprehensive guide that offers hope and a map of the healing journey to every woman who was sexually abused as a child—and to those who care about her. Although the effects of child sexual abuse are long-term and severe, healing is possible.

Weaving together personal ex
Paperback, 20th Anniversary Edition, 640 pages
Published November 4th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Courage to Heal, please sign up.
Helen Mccabe Very many I am afraid from touching to rape and all kind of sexual practices. This book gives stories from women who have suffered sexual abuse in chi…moreVery many I am afraid from touching to rape and all kind of sexual practices. This book gives stories from women who have suffered sexual abuse in childhood which has touched/ruined their lives. It is a book that helps the reader to heal herself if that is possible - and it seems that it will work if one wants it to and follows the examples set - or at least come to terms with what happened. It is a book that has been recommended by a senior clinical psychologist working in the NHS. (less)

Start your review of The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
Dunninghousehold
Aug 17, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the bible for sexual abuse survivors, and an indispensable resource for anyone that knows a survivor. Think you don't know anyone that was sexually abused? Think again - it happens much more than most people wish to believe, and affects the survivor and their behavior much more than even most survivors wish to believe. This book is THE book for survivors that wish to continue survival, especially one of healing.

If this massive read is a bit daunting, know that you will read bits here and
Nebuchadnezzar
This book is notorious for having helped to launch the recovered memory therapy (RMT) craze, which played into the spate of alleged incidents of Satanic ritual abuse of the late '80s and early '90s. Neither author has credentials or expertise relevant to psychology, therapy, or sexual abuse. The book was not based on any solid experimental evidence or psychological studies. Some of the case studies included have been discredited, such as the one taken from Michelle Remembers. Memory psychologist ...more
AudryT
Aug 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are many reviews and articles that explain the myriad concerns about how "Courage to Heal" handles its material. Below is a link to a recent one, for starters. It's also worth reading the comments underneath. FYI, the version I read was the first edition from the 90s.

I want to encourage any of you who pick up this book to research its checkered past yourself, and not just depend on the opinion of one stranger, whether mine or that in a single review,
Cody Wilshire
Absolutely, completely indispensable to victims and survivors. This really has become the 'bible' and the 'life force' for so many and there's a lot of reasoning behind it.

I've re-read this book countless times (probably upwards of ten?) and I continue to do so sporadically.

This book helped save my life and the life of many others. I'm so glad that I found it when I did. I recommend it to so many during my volunteer work and they all just can't stop thanking me for introducing them to it.

Jill Marie
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book in my healing process and I read it twice in therapy and again afterwards!
Zeb
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worse than Hogwash. If there were minus stars, I'd give all of them. Reading the comments of all but the one or two other low rankers gives the exact reason why minus stars are warranted, why this is a dangerous book. Folks are getting talked into blood curdling bullshit and soon enter a nightmare, ruining their own and others lives. I'd recommend to chuck it unread in the next bin. And put a lid on. I'm shocked to see how popular it STILL is after all these years. And that therapists, or people ...more
Quinn
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: survivors of sexual abuse and their loved ones
This book is an incredible resource for survivors of sexual violence. While it's intened audience is women survivors of childhood sexual abuse, I believe that any survivor of sexual violence could benefit from reading it.

I can't explain how helpful this book is. I've never read it straight through- it's more of a reference. My favorite part in the book is titled, "Don't kill yourself." Nearly every survivor ponders suicide as an option. It lays out several reasons why you should not kill yourse
Connie Backus-yoder
I read this book almost 25 years ago and it transformed my life!!!! The painful process of reading and digesting it took a process of almost 6 months to a year and was an incredible journey!!! Finally, there were women who could help unlock the rage and anger from what had happened...had been forced upon me at age 7!! The swirling whirlpool of my existence which forever kept me from breaking free to healing and health was finally cracked and I could escape intact. Mind you, I was in my late 40s ...more
Kate
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sexual Abuse Survivors AND Family
Recommended to Kate by: Leanne Dahlin, MSW
A passionate book which helped me a great deal as well as my husband to know what I/we were facing in terms of the road ahead in my trauma recovery.

There are well laid-out details on the stages of recovery, what to expect for both the survivor and the family members, stories for the survivor to relate to, and also identified things I could look for which would be counterproductive to healing.

I was relieved to see clear, direct language on how to assess and get support on recovered memories. Many
Amanda
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tool for survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Not to be taken lightly - this book will open doors for healing - but can also bring on unexpected emotions. Use in conjunction with professional counseling recommended.
Tsquare
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I've read a few times through my healing journey, and each time it has been profoundly helpful. At first read, it was difficult as I was conflicted about my experience. The periodic denial contrasted with periods of serious anger, and this book walked me through it all. Now, I'm beyond that for the most part, but dealing with lingering self-esteem issues (to put it lightly), I'm finding it indispensable again. This book is not out to convince anyone that anything happened to them, ...more
Kristalee Ann
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the bible to all bibles when it comes to childhood sexual abuse! Many work pages to work on, think about and understand so much more. This is a fabulous book, I highly recommend it to anyone who has been through a similar situation but prepare to brace yourself because the work isn't an easy process, but it's so worth it!
Amy Bruestle
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just, wow. This book was absolutely incredible. Extremely helpful. Probably one of the best books out there on the subject. Glad to have read it. I wish it was mine to keep and not a library book though, because I’d love to look back at it from time to time. Oh well. I guess I can just check it out again sometime down the road.
Jamie
Jun 23, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Sharon
It's worlth it's weight. Make sure you do not attempt this book alone, it will turn your life inside out, upside down before it gets better.
M. Gaffney
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a difficult read and the start of a difficult journey, but I’m so grateful for this book.
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are READY to heal.
This book has some very "hard to read" chapters. If you are ready to heal after surviving sexual abuse, I STRONGLY recommend this book to you. You will leave this book as a brand new you and some strong courageous "power-like" emotions and feelings to heal yourself, conquer the world and move forward. This book was an amazing part of my life at a very hard time.
Bridgett
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book was a very in-depth look at childhood sexual abuse in women and the different types of coping, reactions, problems that come up later in life, etc. There were a lot of first-hand accounts, including poems. There was also a section on partners of the abused. I found the information easy to read and thorough.
Leslie Raddatz
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me understand what was happening to me as I experienced unknown symptoms of sexual abuse. I also learned the steps to the healing process and did the writing exercises in the book. This helped me to cope and to make it as long as I did without having to go into the hospital. It made me feel normal when every thing around me felt abnormal.
Rhonda Rae Baker
Great reference book and encouragement for those of us who have been through hell and back. There is truly hope for the abused. Keep your chin up. A MUST read for all...there are victums out there everywhere. Ths information is invaluable!
Linda
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a casual read book, which is probably pretty obvious from the title. It made me cry, think, and deal with a lot of painful memories I had as a child. This book is unbelievable. My therapist recommended this when I was going through my divorce. I learned a lot.
Jean Marie Angelo
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Read it years ago and wanted to add to my list. A wonderful guide for those in need of healing and those who love and support a survivor. Full of first person stories and creative exercises. Ellen Bass is an effective creative writing teacher for all--whether a survivor or not.
Muriel Martin
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
for anyone who is a sexual abuse survivor i recommend this book and the workbook. I suggest you do this work with someone because it can bring up many painful memories,flashback or nightmares. I read this book and workbook with my therapist and it truly set me free from my past.
Deanna
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Denise Haver
Recommended to Deanna by: Other professionals and survivors
I enjoyed this one more as a book on tape. Very helpful to any survivor of abuse. Definately a must read for those in recovery or professionals that work in the field of trauma and recovery.
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bible of incest and sexual abuse healing. If anyone truly wants to heal, you gotta read this book.
Julie
May 20, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Recommended by Lynn for patients. Patients should be working with a therapist while working through this book. It has an associated workbook as well.
Vickie
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent source both on a personal and professional level. Highly recommend to anyone who works with or has been a victim of childhood sexual abuse.
Kat
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always thought this would be a little too woo-woo for me but it turns out to be a crazy helpful book for anyone recovering from child sexual abuse. Pretty impressive in its scope and power.
Anne
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book and relevant to the subject. Has insights to the problems that childhood abuse has caused which you may not be aware of. Highly recommend if the subject is of interest.
Shreya
yes, agreed-this book is the bhagavad gita for survivors, and i think much of it can even be applicable to those outside the range of women-identified folks.

this book is deep- it says things simply, concisely, and is affirming that this work can take a long time and reminds people they should be patient with their process. (yes! for harm reduction at its best) i have been writing down, almost word for word, things along the way that i'd like to share with the folks i work with.

i loved the mixtur
Rob
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sexual assault survivors
Recommended to Rob by: therapists
There is a lot of controversy about this book. Particularly when it comes to recovered memories. Putting that aside, and the somewhat outdated view on such issues as sex workers and BDSM, there is also a lot of amazing things about it.

It is a hard read if you have experience with this subject and, while, personally, I would have liked a little more focus on the teenage years, it does have a tendency to overwhelm.

However, it has the capability of being a life changing book and certainly helps sur
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence - From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
  • Healing the Shame that Binds You
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman's Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships
  • Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • I'm OK - You're OK
  • Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • On Death and Dying
  • The Dance of Anger
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • The Language of Letting Go: Daily Meditations on Codependency (Hazelden Meditation Series)
  • Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
  • The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond
Ellen Bass is an American poet and author.