Start by marking “Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction” as Want to Read:
Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction

Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction

Nothing "goes viral." If you think a popular movie, song, or app came out of nowhere to become a word-of-mouth success in today's crowded media environment, you're missing the real story. Each blockbuster has a secret history--of power, influence, dark broadcasters, and passionate cults that turn some new products into cultural phenomena. Even the most brilliant ideas with ...more
Published February 7th 2017 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about Hit Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hit Makers

Start your review of Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction
Nelson Zagalo
Thompson writes very well, and is able to engage us in stories and facts. He's a journalist and uses this book to go much further than he could with just simple articles. You'll be surprised and gain a lot of insight into contemporary culture, which will make you think about what you like and dislike and why.

This is not the dry academic book, it uses very good storytelling and lots of techniques to maintain the reader interested. On the other side it encompasses too many perspectives, approaches
Сонин үнэг
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I started this book to come down after reading "The Gene", which was far more demanding and beefier than this one. "Hit Makers" is a good read, but not really all that educational. The books primary question is "what makes a thing popular?", and I enjoyed the approach of the author.

Every chapter looks at something that became a hit, be it a song, a household product, a movie, etc. It's a good collection of anecdotes, well written as you'd expect from a professional journalist who writes of publi
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction by Derek Thompson is a very highly recommended examination of popularity of things and how and why they gained their status. This is an engrossing look at popularity. Thompson has a comfortable writing style that is full of anecdotes and examples. He creatively ties widely divergent topics together in a fascinating, entertaining format.

Nothing really "goes viral." There is a reason why a song, movie, book, app, etc. became popular. T
Bob
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology, science
Summary: Explores what makes a hit, and explodes some of the myths around hits such as the idea of something going "viral."

How does something become a "hit?" Anyone creating a work of art, propounding an idea, promoting a candidate, launching a new product would like to know. Derek Thompson, a senior editor at The Atlantic, was curious about this phenomenon and out of his research come countless stories about everything from Brahms Lullaby to Fifty Shades of Grey.

Brahm's Lullaby is a case in poi
Huyen Chip
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Old ideas beautifully packaged and cleverly delivered
Anton
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid 4+ nonfiction. Key messages are quite simple - but very enjoyably delivered. Definitely recommended
Rose
Aug 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am utterly confused why this book is so highly rated. My current hypothesis is that it falls for the trap of popularity driving familiarity (and driving distribution) and thus more popularity...this theory of familiarity is one which he spends a good deal of time discussing and rehashing. After 2/3 of the book, I have not found a single aha moment and it has been a slog to even get this far. I have enjoyed other books in this genre (Outliers, Give & Take, etc.) so I was surprised I couldn't fi ...more
Robin Tierney
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Many good case studies and thoughtful observations.
My notes (not a review) follow.

Hit Makers:
The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction

By Derek Thompson

Facebook has irreversibly changed news delivery and is the key news source today. Ad supported, so must find ways to catch and keep your attn enough to scroll through ads.
Reactivity: when ppl know their behavior is being watched, they change their behavior (and not only how they report it). FB watches readers without their explicit awa
Maddie
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I received an advance uncorrected proof of Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction from a Goodreads giveaway.

I haven't made a habit of reading much non-fiction in the past, because I've often found it either too dry, or, if interesting, poorly argued. Hit Makers didn't suffer from either of these issues, in my opinion. The book was both engaging and well-written (though it did have a handful of errors that I hope will be corrected before it hits shelves).

The stories that
Graeme Newell
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
This was a delightful book. So many non-fiction reads are simply aggregations, rehashing old ideas. Thompson came at this book with some truly fresh thinking and new explanations for the baffling world of pop culture and buzz.

Believe or not, there’s a lot of established scientific reasoning behind a top song, a popular politician or a bestselling book. I was deeply impressed with so many of his suppositions. Again and again, he came up with new ways to look at baffling patterns. His ideas made
Jordan Weissmann
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is just a really excellent pop science book. Thompson is a talented story teller and lovely writer who breezily explains the psychological and economic forces that shape what we like. It's wide-ranging; he uses the making of Star Wars, impressionist art, ESPN, Disney, 50 Shades of Gray, early Rock n' Roll, and much more to illustrate the academic theories the book explores. It's full of wonderful little insights that explain things like why CNN went so overkill on Trump coverage during the ...more
BookOfCinz
Solid 3.5
This book sets out to answer two questions:
1. What is the secret to making products that people will like-in music, movies, television, and more across the vast landscape of culture?

2. Why do some products fail in the these marketplaces while similar ideas catch on and become massive hits?

For the most part two questions were not definitively answered because, those are two very ambitious questions for anyone to answer. However, the data was well presented, engaging, thought-provoking
Mike Zickar
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is a melange of interesting ideas and threads that, I felt, lacked a grand unifying structure. It was as if the author got excited about uncovering a new idea and left the thread that he was pursuing to go down another path.

An interesting read despite this criticism. . .
Rick Wilson
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
interesting stories with hot-stinky-garbage conclusions. Found myself wading through a lot of bad science for the rewards of great stories about Raymond Lowey, Gustave Caillebotte, and others. Funnily enough, about halfway through the author warns of trusting narratives too much, when it’s the cherry picked methodically unsound research in this book you should be wary of.

For example, the discussion of ‭Gustave Caillebotte and the role he played in popularizing a specific set of impressionists w
Hellread
Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
I would have given this 2 stars if the title and introduction didn't lie. Firstly, there is no "science" in here. At best, it's some vague factoids. And secondly, there is so little "age of distraction" here -- it's history after history. I don't know who the book is for, but it's definitely not for anyone looking for scientific analysis of market. If the premise is to make science of popularity accessible to a layman -- this book does none of that.

(view spoiler)
Gerardo Leal
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Would definitely recommend it. Not because it provides the holy grail of hit-making (the book itself explains such a thing is de facto impossible) but for its anecdotes about controlled or completely random cultural hits across the modern history of the Western Hemisphere.
Bobbie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
What makes something in our culture popular? Thompson takes the question and rolls it around in his palms, kneading and stretching it with a range of different examples and stories and ideas.

Although he sometimes pulls the mixture too thin by adding extra characters (particularly in the second half) or fluffing out the page count (the Star Wars section feels overlong) this is an enjoyable pop science romp with an intellectual nod.

Thompson does a great job of taking a question for which everybo
Reaz
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The book started off interesting enough, but increasingly, my recurring thought was: "OK, I get it. I get it. Move on to the next point."
Leo Walsh
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Hit Makers" by Derek Thompson is an excellent, Malcolm Gawell-like book that examines what makes a hit. Using examples from many fields, from technology to "Star Wars" and pop music, Thompson settles on early 20th century Raymond Loey's formulation as best: We like things that are Most Advanced Yet Approachable: MAYA.

He shows how George Lucas used MAYA, creating "Star Wars," a mashup of western, "Buck Rogers," WW II fighter film, pulp sci-fi and comic books. What's more, Lucas consciously took
Elena
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Derek Thompson narrated the audiobook himself. I enjoyed the content of the book and the delivery of it equally and inestimably. So that I immediately started the book again as soon as I finished it (practice I discovered just recently as a necessity to prepare for a presentation on a business book and found to be enjoyable when reaching places that I knew I supposed to remember but I did not at all or I when unearthing richer nuances, etc. … in a word, interesting (experience), recommend to try ...more
Kelly
What a fascinating book about what it is that makes some things succeed and reach "hit" status. At times a bit repetitive -- how many times can I hear about the sports channels really being the biggest money makers of television? -- but the takeaways are really worthwhile. Loved the idea of fluency and disfluency and how what people love is having something which changes one piece of a familiar story, rather than trying to change multiple pieces (or if you change all of them, you make a spoof). ...more
Bdomo28
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
This book was wildly informative! Backed with research and anecdotes alike, it helps break down what it means to have taste. Why we like some things and dislike others. How there are both external and internal factors. It's easy to see its relevance in today's society of Facebook and Twitter and Spotify and Tik Tok. It is intriguing to peer into why things become popular. Loved it even though it took me a while 😬
Bruin Mccon
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is no magic formula. The best doesn’t naturally float to the top. It’s all a crap-shoot. It’s not a surprising conclusion, but the author makes it interesting by the stories he uses to illustrate the overall idea.
Stanley Hanks
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As far as I'm concerned, this is Nonfiction Book of the Year.
Daniel Frank
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Absolutely nothing "scientific" about this book. This book is nothing more than cute anecdotes and Derek's musings on art in general; disjointed with no coherent message and lacking rigour.
Gary Moreau
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because it was already popular, a behavior predicted early in the book itself. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s well written, witty, very energetic, and thoroughly researched. I’d share it on my Twitter feed if I had more than eight followers. (The good news from Thompson is that I’m not alone.)

The question of what drives hitdom can be esoteric to the point of incomprehension when the psycho-sociologists wrestle with it, or dry as burnt toast when the statistici
Michael Payne
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Content may be king, distribution is the kingdom. - Derek Thompson

Quality most certainly matters, but quality that never plays before an audience more certainly never matters in any real sense of mattering. Hits are by their nature good, but many other artists in any category may be similarly 'good'. The move from good to truly great has everything to do with the very human nature of herding.

Derek looks at French impressionist art, the nature of literary hits, the radical change in the billboard
Stephen Gallup
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One question that has continued to puzzle me is why one creative product becomes enormously popular while another that's very similar, or even better, does not. Some time ago the question led me to read Contagious: Why Things Catch On . That book is worthwhile, and has some overlap with this one, but I didn't put it down with the kind of new insight that might be put to practical use.

Recently, I've grumbled more than usual about what seems to be a dearth of creativity both in new movies (most
Tikiri Herath
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read.

I'm still digesting the lessons from this shrewdly insightful book. I found the information in here to be invaluable as I began to reflect on my own efforts to spread my message to my audience as both an artist and an entrepreneur. I will have to listen to this book again or read it with a highlighter in hand to fully grasp the concepts I can apply to my business.

My biggest takeaway for now is how we, humans, yearn for the familiar, for what we are used to seeing or listening or
Marne Wilson
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I thought I knew a lot about the science of popularity and why people make the choices they do as consumers, but I learned many new things from this book. It was full of facts and statistics but always supremely readable with a surprisingly breezy style. There were plenty of anecdotes about companies we all know, like Facebook and Disney, but also a lot of less-familiar stories that will be new to almost everybody. I'm glad I took the time to read this book, and I'm going to apply some of what I ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate cover edition needed 3 14 Feb 05, 2018 01:35PM

• Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are
  • Jak na sítě
  • Streaming, Sharing, Stealing: Big Data and the Future of Entertainment
  • Smart Teams: How to Work Better Together
  • Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked
  • The Content Trap
  • The Great Leveler: Violence and the History of Inequality from the Stone Age to the Twenty-First Century
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • The Song Machine: Inside the Hit Factory
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • The Business of Television
  • A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and The Creation of the Modern Middle East
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • Can't Just Stop: An Investigation of Compulsions
  • Barking Up the Wrong Tree: The Surprising Science Behind Why Everything You Know About Success Is (Mostly) Wrong
  • The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google
  • Ibis Trilogy Amitav Ghosh Collection 3 Books Bundle (Sea of Poppies, River of Smoke, Flood of Fire [Hardcover])
  • The Formula: The Universal Laws of Success

News & Interviews

“People prefer paintings that they’ve seen before. Audiences like art that gives them the jolt of meaning that often comes from an inkling of recognition.” 9 likes
“People gravitate toward products that are bold, but instantly comprehensible: Most Advanced Yet Acceptable--MAYA.” 8 likes