Start by marking “Lola” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  1,184 Ratings  ·  373 Reviews
The Crenshaw Six are a small but up-and-coming gang in South Central LA who have recently been drawn into an escalating war between rival drug cartels. To outsiders, the Crenshaw Six appear to be led by a man named Garcia . . . but what no one has figured out is that the gang's real leader (and secret weapon) is Garcia's girlfriend, a brilliant young woman named Lola.

Lola
Published March 21st 2017 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Lola, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola

Meredith
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Triggers: graphic violence, molestation, rape, drug use

The vicious brutality present in Lola makes it, at times, an uncomfortable book to read. Lola is one woman’s tale about coming out from behind the shadows of men and exerting her power in order to survive in her violent, dark, unforgiving world dominated by heinous men, drugs and gangs.

On the outside, Lola appears to be the submissive girlfriend of Garcia, leader of the Crenshaw 6 gang. However, Lola is actually the cold-hearted le
Julie
Lola by Melissa Scrivner Love is a 2017 Crown Publishing Group publication.

Wow, this book is the definition of gritty crime drama!

Okay, I admit it- I live a pretty sheltered life. As a Texas gal living in a small town, it’s very hard for me to imagine life in South Central or gang warfare.

But, this novel puts me down right into the midst of a turbulent and intense gang war, while giving me a little peek inside the mind of gang members, and the lifestyle that most of us find shocking, but they
Edward Lorn
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: n, ebook
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 because it's only half bad.

Lola, by Melissa Love, reads like a television drama. If you're a fan of shows like Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy, you should like this book. That being said, the book is not without its problems.

If you're a medical professional of any kind, this book is likely to have you rolling your eyes or fuming more than half a dozen times. The medical inaccuracies were ludicrous and easily fixable. Nothing consulting a nurse wouldn't have fixed. The

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

All too often, compassion is taken for weakness with female heroines. It's often what causes their downfall, creating snafus that the other characters must work to resolve. Compassion is not Lola's weakness. It's a part of her character, and one she sometimes has to set aside in order to do her work. Because Lola is not the docile gangbanger girlfriend she pretends to be; she's secretly the leader of the Crenshaw Six, and she's damn good.

Wh
Thomas
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an interesting thriller. Lola is the leader of "The Crenshaw Six." But everyone outside of the six gang members think that Garcia, the man that she lives with is the leader. She wants it that way, so she can operate under the radar of rival gangs. Then her gang gets an offer from their drug supplier. Their boss wants them to intercept a drug buy and steal both the drugs and the $2 million cash payment. If they succeed, they get 10% of the cash and drugs, plus more territory
Hannah
May 26, 2017 marked it as will-probably-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I need to be honest with myself - I will not finish this book. There is nothing particularly wrong with it, it is more that I am the wrong reader perhaps. It isn't really my genre and the writing isn't quite strong enough to make up for it.

This book focusses on a gang getting entangled with the mob and everything just spirals out of control, or more truthfully has always been spiralling out of control. Lola is the focus point here and her character has been compared to Walter White. I don't thi
TL
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this from Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own :)
----

This was something that I normally wouldn't have picked up on my own (thanks again, GR and my book-enabler friends ;-P ) but was intrigued by after Edward (actually had forgotten I'd read his review before haha, whoops) and Nenia both reviewed it.
(Click on their names to read their reviews... both are excellent)

*****

I LOVED Lola! She's a complex, strong, cunning, interesting character...
Tori (InToriLex)
Find this and other Reviews at In Tori Lex

I don't like to review books I haven't completely read, but I could not continue reading this book past page 113. I never bought into Lola being as smart, manipulative and capable as she was portrayed. I also thought some of the passages didn't mesh well together. Their would be along description about the environment mixed in with little dialogue between main characters, it didn't flow well. Lola was described as brilliant because she pays attention, bu
OutlawPoet
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lola, by Melissa love, is the kind of book that you find yourself thinking about when you should be concentrating on other things.

This is an epic tale of one woman’s rise to power in South LA gang territory. People know Lola as the girlfriend of the leader of the Crenshaw Six - a gang that controls a small area of South LA. What they don’t know is that Lola isn’t just the girlfriend – she’s the actual leader of the gang – and everything that happens only happens on her say. When the Crenshaw Six
Cody | codysbookshelf
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I've been in a weird state lately — at least, when it comes to reading. Nothing really thrills me anymore; I haven't felt moved by a new (new to me, anyway) novel or story in a while . . . at least a month or longer. As much as I read, that feels like quite a time. This isn't new. This happens to me, without fail, every spring. I don't know why; I just tend to get more enjoyable reading done in the fall and winter months than the spring and summer months.

I think of it as "reader's boredom," and
Bj
4 "Who's the Boss?" Stars.

Warning: As I read a lot of romance titles, I think it's important to note from the start that this is not a romance title--it's a general fiction/thriller title....

Proving that society's prejudices are not solely reserved for women in typical professional careers that experience glass ceilings, Lola explores a side of society that most of its readers have likely never seen or perhaps even wondered about: women's roles and influence in street gangs in LA.

In particular
Laurie
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lola is the leader of the Crenshaw Six, a female living in a male dominated world. She leads from the shadow’s and is considered Garcia’s girl by all who know her. But she is so much more. Little by little she emerges as the strong leader that she has always been. Lola is ruthless and cunning in the face of adversity. Never backing down on a job that needs done or punishment that needs handed out. Drugs, money, weapons and betrayal are at the heart of Lola’s domain. Her strength is her only hope ...more
Trevor
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, fiction, dl

Although I was captivated by the first few chapters, my interest quickly lost its intensity as everything unfolded. The prose was decent, but I believe LOLA would have agreed with me more if it wasn't written in third person. Too much information from a distance... I wish I could have gotten in close, instead of just feeling like a fly on the wall.

There were elements that attracted me to this right away: corruption, drug trade/cartel, dirty people of authority. And I can't deny I have
Jordan
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
I just finished reading Lola by Melissa Scrivner Love and it wasn't a book or an author that I was at all familiar with so I basically had no preconceived expectations for this book and honestly, I think I prefer it that way because I really get to read a book with an open mind and form my own opinions when there are no outside influences to factor in. I basically was just drawn to the cover, read the synopsis and found that to be intriguing and decided to give this book ago. I guess it's not su ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in the gritty streets of California, Lola is an exciting thriller with a surprising secret that makes it stand out as completely unique.
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Lola, the debut by Melissa Scrivner Love, is not a novel that I would have picked out on my own. I am not usually drawn to books with cartels or gangs, but I am glad I took a chance on this one. It actually ended up being a pretty entertaining read.

The novel follows a gang, the Crenshaw Six, which operates in South Central. Seemingly at the head, a young man named Garcia leads the Crenshaw Six through their deals with drug cartels and other gangs. However, underneath it all and at the crux of t
Cheryl
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I could see potential in this book but it moved way too slowly for me to get to that potential. I got as far as chapter fourteen and was left still wondering when the story was really going to pick up. The author did a good job of describing the people and the vibe. What was lacking however is a strong connection to the characters or anything intriguing happening in these fourteen chapters. It was just a lot of talking. Which after a while, I found myself tuning it out. At this point Lola had no ...more
Quirkyreader
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an ARC from Penguin. This is one of those stories that sticks with you. You want to make sure the characters get out of the sticky situations they are in. I kept hoping that Lola, the main character would make it through.

She had to make the best of the situation she was thrown into.

Many terrible things happen in the underbelly of big cities and there is plenty of "collateral damage" associated with it. But mostly remember that looks can be deceiving.

Ms. Love is a new writer
Catherine ♡
Mar 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring, crime
Agh. I really wanted to love this. But I just couldn't. I had tried getting into it so many times, but it's really just not my genre. I have to admit that I skimmed a lot. There were a lot of characters, and I didn't really feel connected to any of them. But I did like Lucy, and I liked her story. Overall, though, just not my thing.
Eric
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those novels that is hard to review because to reveal too much would be to provide spoilers.

The novel centers around a woman named Lola and involves a local gang, violent drug dealers and the an ever encroaching merciless Mexican drug cartel. Lola is a highly intelligent and tough young woman, formed and haunted by her terrible upbringing, which involved being raised by a drug addicted mother. Her character has not been created in the Superman manner so many writers tend to creat
Gilly Macmillan
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best debuts I've read. Outstanding.
Jill
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2017
Lola is exactly what a story about a Hispanic gang in LA and a Mexican drug cartel would be if written by a white woman with an MA English.
Myra Reads
GoodReads Win.
Not rating this -- just not my type of book, so I did not finish it. Others may enjoy reading it.
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I thought the female characters were well written,the story moved well.
I did have some issues with the book that keeps it from being a 5 star read. Discussing said issues may contain spoilers so I shall keep them to myself.

If you enjoyed "Queen of the South",you will enjoy this book.
Jane Stewart
Events and actions were predictable. Nothing was surprising. I had a hard time staying interested.

This book feels like a description – not a story. It tells what life is like for the leader of a small Hispanic gang in LA. Sometimes the leader must kill people. Sometimes the leader must punish followers. The gang leader in this story happens to be Lola, a 20-something woman. She does the same things a man would do as a gang leader.

This book was missing things that make a good story: interesting
Faith
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was not a good sign that I hated the first chapter of this book. Too much back story was dumped on me all at once. Up until the point in this book when I gave up, it was all tell and no show and it was painfully slow going. I was also never going to develop any empathy for these characters. I received a free copy of this book from the publisher but I wound up listening to the audiobook borrowed from the library.
Darcia Helle
With Lola, the author takes us inside the life of a small, inner city gang, with the unique twist of having a woman as boss. I enjoyed the story, and it held my interest all the way through, but there were some problem areas for me.

Starting with the good stuff: Lola is an intriguing character with many elements to her personality. She's tough and strong, merciless at times, but she also has unexpected emotional depth and vulnerability.

The plot is mostly a crime story, with drugs and cash at its
Alaina
*No rating because I work for the publisher.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
South Central LA has several gangs, but the one known as The Crenshaw Six has the Mexican cartel tapping on them to wage war on rival dealers. They tell Crenshaw's leader, Garcia, that if they don't follow through and do what they say, they will kill his girlfriend, Lola. They have no idea that Lola, in fact, is the true leader of The Crenshaw Six and she is watching their every move. She didn't become the leader without having to earn it. And because of her actions and strength, the men behind ...more
CeeMarie
The author wrote a fascinating tale and I appreciated the twists and turns of the story. And oddly enough, I loved that it showed strong women-even if they were criminals. The writing was excellent and really dragged me in, but I can't give this anymore stars because I found it to be depressing and incredibly cynical. After finishing it, I need a serious pick me up!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Lola wondered how much time the woman had spent trying to outrun cute and reach pretty before she embraced who she was and made a fucking killing. Lola” 1 likes