Start by marking “Desiree's Baby” as Want to Read:
Desiree's Baby

Desiree's Baby

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,390 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Kate Chopin was an American author of short stories and novels, mostly with a Louisiana Creole background. Today she is considered a forerunner of the feminist authors of the 20th century. This powerful little story concerns a Southern gentleman who disowns his wife because he fears she has "negro" blood. The truth makes for a dramatic ending.
Audiobook, 7 pages
Published May 1st 1994 by Commuter Library (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about Desiree's Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desiree's Baby

Yani
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Estoy alucinada con la brevedad y la contundencia de los relatos de esta autora. Tal como me sucedió con The Story of an Hour (no lo reseñé, pero lo recomiendo sin ninguna duda), me quedé con la boca abierta en el final, anonadada por el efecto y por lo mucho que se puede extraer de unas pocas carillas leídas. Désirée’s Baby (1892) confirmó que lo mejor que pude haber hecho en estos días fue toparme de casualidad con Kate Chopin.

Désirée es una joven adoptada por los Valmondé desde que era p
Kaisser
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Desiree's Baby’s Baby is a short story written by the American writer Kate Chopin. Famous for her The Awakening. It was published in 1893. My very first experience with Chopin—and I enjoyed it. It is a story about miscegenation—and it is so ironic. If you are into the history and the like, go ahead and read it! Expect a dramatic ending.

(view spoiler)
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought it was a nice story until one of my former teachers gave us an interesting new theory. Then I thought it fantastic. Spoilersbahead. If you haven't read the story yet please scroll to the next review. The theory was that Armand knew the twist from the beginning. He was 7 when they moved from France where his mother was, so he probably could remember the dark woman who is his mother. His growing distance from Desiree was a form of anger at himself and shame/guilt of allowing her to take ...more
Dannii Elle
My motivation for reading this short classic was that it was briefly featured in The One-in-a-Million Boy, and I felt I needed added context to understand its presence in the tale.

The tale was short and fairly well executed, but my problem with it arose from that I found it to be a pointless story. The synopsis of the mother discovering her child was of mixed-race, only after seeing him paired next to another mixed-race child felt unfeasible, and her husband's treatment of her after discovering
Noha
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub-1
3.5

Whoa! one of the saddest stories i've read till now and it contains an absolutely brilliant plot-twist
Liz Janet
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Kate Chopin wrote The Awakening, one amazing feminist novel, and her most regarded piece of work, yet there is another work of hers that I often compare and put at par with the novel, it is this short story. In Desiree’s Baby we have a story of miscegenation in a Creole Louisiana, as well as a morally grey area, in which one must make their own choice on the ending, sort of like the ending of “The Giver” or “Life of Pi”.

It follows Désirée, who is adopted by Monsieur and Madame Valmondé, as she
Claire
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had to read this short story for a class, and my jaw dropped by the end. It is an amazing account of what life was like for many women and very heart-wrenching. I could read this over and over and each time find something I hadn't noticed before, even though it is so short. I simply loved it and everyone should read this.
Helga
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a short story which managed to rip my heart to pieces in such a short time!
Hana
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hey, I want more!

Read this for our book club. Quite crisp and captivating.
Rebecca
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually wrote a college paper on this story comparing the evolution of the plot to slavery and gender roles among African Americans and Women of the time period versus today's standards. The piece was very well written and thought provoking.
عبدالرحمن القصير
تدور أحداث القصة في لويزيانا يوم أن كانت مستعمرة فرنسية يقوم فيها البيض باستعباد السود. دزيري فتاة لقيطة تتزوج من رجل أبيض ذو وجاهة وحضوة فتنجب فتى أسود. هل كان أحد والدي دزيري أسوداً أم العكس صحيح. تثير هذه القصة العنصرية والتعذيب الذي تعرض له السود في ذلك الزمن الأسود.
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
In Desiree's Baby, family secrets spring forth leading to an agonizing fate to the uninitiated. Set in Pre-Civil War Louisiana, a rich plantation owner follows the "one-drop rule" faithfully, leading his wife and their son to their end.

Yet...

The secret does not stem from his wife, adopted by her parents, whose familial background remains ambigious. In a karmic twist, he bears the burden of his lineage.

A quick read or listen), Chopin offers the reality and cruelty racial boundaries, never to be
Alisa Cupcakeland
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm really liking Chopin. I found this story written in a simple yet interesting manner. I also like her sudden plot twists and overall I enjoyed reading this.
Aida Ghazar
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Aida by: Helga
Enjoyed reading it! It is a real gem.
Thanks dear Helga for recommending it.
Chrissy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was beautifully written, and a sad snapshot into another time and place. I do wish I hadn't been spoiled about the ending before I read it - I think I might have liked it even better.
Pboswell
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I forgot just how sad this story is. Gahh, lies and deception ruined the lives of those who were in the dark about the truth.

It's funny how the truth about lies makes all the truth you thought you knew seem like lies too. One lie, one secret, one deception...can cause a lifetime of pain, suffering, resentment, and grief.

Color. It's the biggest division among the human race. We give it so much power, so much so that we don't know how to be ourselves in the danger of color. We crumble and surren
Raghad Khamees
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Desiree's Baby" , it is a short story by Kate Chopin who wrote it before the American civil war. The plot reveals the discrimination against Afro-Americans, and how they suffer from the bad treatment because of their black skin. I really like what Kate Chopin writes. I remember that I read "the story of an hour" in the last year , and this is the second work that I've read for this creative writer.
Andy
Great short story about the 19th century society that did not tolerate the "mixing of the races", and considered African Americans as being less worthy than white people. I just loved, how the impeccable husband who considered himself holier than thou gets his ass handed in the end, and realizes that he has lost everything due to his ignorance and bias that now has to be directed against himself as well.
Ali Al-Busaidi
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A short story I read at the beginning of my first college year. Despite it being short, the impact it had on me was great. It also gave me a deeper insight to the terrible world of slavery and racism in North America in just a few pages through the painful story of Desiree and her baby. A light and enjoyable read.
Joe
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great concept, but squashed into a story that was too short
Sierra the Nerdgirl
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually rather liked this short story compared to "The Awakening".
Amal
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
had to read the story for school. it was an ironical one, made me think of how much has changed in the world since the 19th century.
Lina
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asshole husband gets as asshole husband deserves.
Michelle Rawlings
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in turn of the century American literature and slave narratives
Despite being such a short read, this piece completely encompasses everything a literature enthusiast should know about Kate Chopin. With allusions to her interest in French literature and the Creole and Cajun influences of her later years, this story was characteristic of Chopin in that it unapologetically showed "inferior" people—Madame Valmonde as a woman, and the "negroes" as slaves—in more independent positions. (view spoiler) ...more
Laurie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LB
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story by Ms Chopin. I like the title, Desiree's Baby, that suggests that the baby is only hers, not theirs together, since the father all but renounces him. I am not quite clear, though, why the color of the child's skin became evident only when he turned three months old. Wasn't it the same at birth? Can a skin color change like that? And I am wondering that the husband may do now after discovering his own lineage. Very interesting short story, a lot in it.
Phil Syphe
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those tragic stories where two white parents have a baby that isn't so white. It's set in the America of yesteryear when this was serious enough to turn one partner's love for the other to unforgiving hatred.

The author does a great job of setting the tone and evoking sympathy for the rejected partner. What impressed me most was the last paragraph. I won't give it away, but will say I didn't see it coming.
Amit
Well another Kate Chopin and it's turned out to be an another great read...

I don't want to go any details with it but what I like most or say what make me very happy Armand did get his butt out, when Desiree considered her fate and moved along with it. Of course including with her baby too...

A modest story have to say...
Gisselle Moyano
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Me encanta esta mujer. No necesita palabras complicadas y rebuscadas ni párrafos de 40 lineas para hacer una buena historia. Sin esforzarse demasiado, con simplicidad y yendo directo al grano logra darle al lector una buena experiencia. El poder está en el final, lo que hace que leer la historia en verdad valga la pena.
Inked_Books
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was set to read this for my degree and went in expecting to dislike it. Was I wrong ? Yes! Very wrong! The narrative is fascinatingly captivating! I was instantly drawn in and the last line is wow! It poses interesting questions about women and race I have found a new favourite author!!
Bound Together: May 2017 Désirée's Baby & The Storm--A twofer 48 34 Jun 01, 2017 06:11AM
Did Armand knew? 1 9 Jun 20, 2012 12:49PM
  • Roman Fever
  • Hills Like White Elephants
  • Eleonora
  • The Lady or the Tiger
  • I Stand Here Ironing (KnowledgeNotes Student Guides)
  • Colorblind (Moonlight, #2)
  • A White Heron
  • Barn Burning
  • In Her Own Right: The Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl ...more
More about Kate Chopin

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things