Start by marking “For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School” as Want to Read:
For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School

For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  2,478 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
Every parent and teacher wants to give children the best education possible. Everyone would like education to be a joyous adventure and celebration of life, as well as a solid preparation for living. Sadly, most education today falls far short of this goal. Susan Schaeffer Macaulay shows that it doesn't have to be this way. Education can be a wonderful, life-enriching, joy ...more
Audio CD
Published December 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published September 1st 1984)

Leah Beecher
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an unbelievable treasure finding this book was for me. Feeling that the reasons I was going to start homeschooling my two oldest daughters being, I did not like their current public school and we could not afford private education, were both negative reasons, and would make for a negative experience of home education, I agonized over what philosophy of home education I wanted to embrace. It is very important to grab hold of a positive reason to teach at home, for a happy home and happy chil ...more
Jamie Cain
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Lorrie Deringer
This is one of the best books on education I have ever read. WHile I am not a home-schooler (I am headmaster of a classical Christian school), Macaulay's introduction to Charlotte Mason will go on the "reread periodically" pile.

I appreciate Macaulay's style--free, casual, and engaging. Her writing is more than readable; it's a joy to read. I finish reading and feel refreshed. In this, she joins a select group of authors in my experience.

Her content is excellent too. She carefully parses Charlott
Samantha
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
What an inspiring book! All parents should read this book regardless of if they home school, send their child to private or public school. There is much we can and should do for our children. This is one I will be rereading often.
Ryan Handermann
One of the best books I have ever read about education. This work is essentially an exposition of Charlotte Mason's work on education in the late 19th century, with a more Christian slant from Macaulay. She advocates that children are people (a novel idea), each with individual needs and talents, hence, education should be catered specifically to each child, and not handed out in uniform boxes. This means things like shorter school days, math in the morning, science as real life exploration, giv ...more
Matthew Huff
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in preparation for our daughters' schooling. The author clearly and compellingly presents Charlotte Mason's educational philosophy, and I found it highly motivating. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a profound and beautiful explanation of this most effective means of education.
Gretchen
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad I read this now and not when I was first starting homeschool as it would have overwhelmed me. However, I got a lot out of it that I will use for school next year that will be helpful with Yohan and Luci and also for the big kids now.
Stacy Guillory
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much to say about this book but I think this statement sums up a lot of what is said "The child is not made for education, but education is to serve The child, serve his personality, his life, his needs."
A child is a person created in the image of God and we can help open a love for learning.
Diana Nelson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for those interested in Charlotte Mason education philosophy. It's a good jumping off point.
Wendy Jones
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I would've read this 4 years ago!! It's definitely more than helpful for any type of educator, be it a public teacher or a homeschooling mother/father.
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 5 stars!!! I highly recommend it to all!

I had to pay some late fees to the library in order to finish it, but it was so worth it. I'd love to own a copy of this book. It drove me crazy that I couldn't highlight it and mark it up.

This book really cemented in my mind the value of the Charlotte Mason Education style. It is so practical, clear, & Christian-based. Any parent or teacher will benefit from its values and ideas. A great resource for public, private, and homeschool.

C
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • The Three R's
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • The Way They Learn
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • Better Late Than Early: A New Approach to Your Child's Education
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • Beyond Survival Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling
Susan Schaeffer Macaulay grew up in Switzerland at L'Abri Fellowship, which was founded by her parents Francis and Edith Schaeffer. She and her husband Ranald Macaulay established and led the L'Abri branch in England for several years. She is also the author of For the Family's Sake and contributed to Books Children Love and When Children Love to Learn.
More about Susan Schaeffer Macaulay...
“No parent/home/child/teacher/school has an all-round 100 percent wholeness. We all have limitations and problems. But I must never think it is all or nothing.
Perhaps I'd like to live in the country, but I don't. Well, maybe I can get the family to a park two times a week, and out to the country once every two weeks.
Maybe I have to send my child to a not-so-good school. Well, maybe we can read one or two good books together aloud. If you can't give them everything, give them something.”
5 likes
“It does not mean that adults think of a child as a blank sheet of paper on which they imprint their ideas, impressions, and knowledge. Neither does it mean leaving the child unattended like a weed growing in a sidewalk. It is a balanced understanding of education as the provision of possibilities for a person to build relationships with a vast number of things and thoughts.” 1 likes