Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Deviant Strain” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Deviant Strain

Doctor Who: The Deviant Strain

(Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #4)

The Novrosk Peninsula: the Soviet naval base has been abandoned, the nuclear submarines are rusting and rotting. Cold, isolated, forgotten. Until the Russian Special Forces arrive and discover that the Doctor and his companions are here too.

But there is something else in Novrosk. Something that predates even the stone circle on the cliff top. Something that is at last
Published September 8th 2005 by BBC Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Start your review of Doctor Who: The Deviant Strain
Ken
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A perfectly creepy Ninth Doctor story set in the chillingly creepy abandoned Soviet naval base.

With this being the first of the recent batch of NSA that tied into the second half of Eccleston’s only series as The Doctor, meaning Captain Jack is also aboard the TARDIS.
I always prefer three people aboard this ship and they are all utilised perfectly.

As soon as they arrive at the base the time travellers meet Colonel Levin, suspicion arise especially with Jack’s American accent!
The group are soon
Sean Homrig
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Everybody but everybody assumes that the BBC "dumbed down" its Doctor Who novels for the new series, presumably to appeal to younger readers. "The Deviant Strain" is no exception.

However, the story's panache lies in its brooding atmosphere and the ever-lingering dread that there's something verily lying just under the surface of the frozen Russian setting. The characters aren't particularly fleshed out, but we don't need them to be; "The Deviant Strain" is, after all, a creature feature, and
Harry Williams
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second Justin Richards book for the new series adventures and personally I think this is a much more of an improvement than his first entry, The Clockwise Man which, wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either.

I’ll start off the review by talking about the characterisation. The book features The Ninth Doctor, Rose and Captain Jack and they’re all fairly well written. They all get quite a lot do in the story, especially Jack who I think is probably one of the best things about the book as he
Fangs for the Fantasy
Mar 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
A soviet era nuclear naval base has been abandoned. The town surrounding it is surviving essentially at a subsistence level. There is something far more dangerous than the radiation leaking from the subs. It's been there quite a long time sending out a message for help, which Captain Jack inadvertently answers forcing him, Rose and the Doctor to ride in for the rescue. Though their Russian is perfect, at least one person knows that there's more to the arrival of the threesome than their cover ...more
Maya
The audiobook reading was really crap. The narrator did very posh voices for both the Doctor and Rose. The Doctor with a touch of self-important professor and Rose almost constantly bewildered. It was so far out of character. Jack's accent was very successful either, and the Russians all sounded alike with stereotypical exaggerated Russian accents, which didn't make sense anyway considering the Tardis was translating. It would have been much better to read it without different voices.
Given the
Casi Hamilton
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who, 2012
This is probably the worst Doctor Who book I've read. And I've read a lot of them now. Richards seems to have little concept of the Doctor, Rose, or Jack as characters. His storyline lacks focus and direction. His efforts to build suspense are misguided and frustrating. As short as this book is, it took me ages to read. There are so few 9th Doctor Books, it makes me really sad to know that this is one of them.
Helen
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting premise, and I love both Rose and Captain Jack, but again I struggle to 'see' Eccleston's doctor here. A bit too generic.
David
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
A Russian-set adventure in which the Ninth Doctor struggles to overcome the stark gloom of an abandoned Soviet village where some villagers have died in bizarre fashion. The story was not without interest, but I struggled to get into it. None of the background characters struck me as likeable enough for me to be overly concerned if they survived or not. Captain Jack spends a lot of time running about, dodging blob monsters but lacks his characteristic charm or sexual ambiguity.
The true villains
Phillip
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I did a non-spoiler review for my "Doctor Who" podcast here: https://www.thenerdparty.com/timeands...

All in all, I liked this combination - Ninth Doctor, Rose, and Captain Jack. It's not often I get a Captain Jack story, pre-Torchwood (i.e., can still die). I think there was a good premise, but it's an action story, which can sometimes be difficult to capture in narrative form. I think it gets bogged down in action 3/4ths through the book. So it is not a bad story by any means, but I don't know
Frater Xolotl
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably one of my favorite Dr. Who novels. The author captures Nine perfectly, Rose was a tad bit flat and even though her actions were on point for the character, I feel her dialogue could have used a little bit more Billie Piper and less "I am writing a lady character that says lady things." Overall though, the story very easily could have been another televised episode and had enough twists and turns that it really kept the story moving forward at quite a rapid pace.
Noelle Walsh
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, doctor-who
This is yet another Doctor Who novel I've really enjoyed reading. It may be a little "dumbed down" and Rose may be slightly off but this could have easily be adapted into a televised story for the main series. I think Whovians would enjoy this in general though it does depend on one's tastes and opinions.
Katie Brock
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always like Justin Richards books for Doctor Who because they're just that little bit darker and that makes for great reading!

This one follows The Doctor, Rose Tyler and Captain Jack Harkness in early 21st Century at an abandoned Soviet base after the cold war. There's Russian soldiers, zombies, jellyfish aliens and bodies with the life sucked out of them.

What's going on, and can the Doctor save the day?

I did forget that Jack wasn't immortal because he was travelling with the Ninth Doctor
Angela
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! Don't read this book at night!! It is the most amazing book ever and has some very creepy elements that will give you goosebumps! I could not put it down, if you like doctor who then definitely you should read this book!
Jack McGowan
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Essentially just an average quality episode of Doctor Who, stretched out to a feature length novel. I used to be really into the show, and liked the Ninth Doctor portrayal a fair amount, but I struggled to see this one through with other, better books on the go at the same time
Sara Grimes
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Man I forgot how perfect 9 Rose and Jack are
Jessica  Peach
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Lovedit and I am a big fan of the show! The audio added to the book and it was a escape for me.
Virginia Rand
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tv-tie-ins
I liked the actual story, but I listened to the audio book and the guy reading is has real problems with the accents. :-/
Sandi
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
All of time and space, and I pick up the book about 21st century Russia.
Kristine Sprunger
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this in two days. Because I had to work.
Merinda Brayfield
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down my favorite ninth doctor book. Everyone is in character. This is Team Tardis just as it should be.
Таниэрис Таргариен
The author did not bother to learn anything about the described country. Therefore, many things look ridiculous, even in a fantastic novel.
Sara Habein
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent story that would have been great on screen too (though with later series' budgets), but the sentence fragments during moments of action were frustratingly bad.
Rob Cook
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable adventure. Particularly liked Jack's interactions with Valeria and also the brief Bad Wolf mention.
Janelle
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so enjoyable. Words cannot explain. Justin Richard's has done a great job of keeping true to the characters and represents them and their story well! Highly recommend for any DW fan
Helen Hnin Oo Lwin
This book was 70% boring, 20% bearable and only about 10% exciting. The ever-fluctuating quality of Justin Richards' writing baffles me.
Mary Davis
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Doctor Who fans
Shelves: books-read-2013
John Parungao
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Doctor Who book by Justin Richards. They had me with just that. Richards has written numerous books for the Doctor Who range, mostly featuring the previous classic Doctors. What Richards gives us with this book is a novel with the feel of modern Doctor Who, but with some of the classic tropes of Doctor Who. Most notably: "base under seige".

The Tardis responds to a distress call and ends up near a deserted Russian naval base. The Tardis crew come across Russian special forces there to
T.J.
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
After binging on Doctor Who-yet again-I find I'm always disappointed at the insufficient amount of episodes, especially including the ones with Rose, nine, and ten (and 11 and River but none of those exist) so I did what anyone would do; Fanfiction.

Except a lot of Fanfiction sucks. I write my own and I try very hard to keep the characters in character. Just one word they speak, one action, can completely shatter the image and leave you thinking, "okay, this is NOT who this character is." Thus,
Beth
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Ranked #14 (out of 18) of my holiday reads

Two's company and there's a crowd - 3*

There were too many 'main' viewpoints for this book to sustain. Due to the size of this book, attention could not be clearly given to each of the main characters and their supporting characters. It was really hard to keep up as there was little guidance when the viewpoints were changing and so I was constantly questioning the subplot, which connected to the main plot.

I don't think the main plot was strong
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #10)
  • Doctor Who: Big Bang Generation
  • Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek
  • Doctor Who: The Missy Chronicles
  • Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor
  • Doctor Who: Revenge of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song
  • Doctor Who: Eleven Doctors, Eleven Stories
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • Red Harvest
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #2)
  • Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #4)
  • Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #5)
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Doctor Who: The Monsters Inside
  • Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
  • Doctor Who: Only Human
  • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #6)
  • Doctor Who: The Stone Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned
  • Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #9)
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Destruction
“Whatever humanity inflicts on itself, nature can always go one better.” 25 likes
“The Doctor's plan, such as it was, was to escape from Barinska without being shot.” 1 likes