Start by marking “Religions of the East: Paths to Enlightenment (The Modern Scholar)” as Want to Read:
Religions of the East: Paths to Enlightenment (The Modern Scholar)

Religions of the East: Paths to Enlightenment (The Modern Scholar)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The main aim of this course is to cultivate basic literacy in the principal religions of Asia: Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Daoism.
Audiobook
Published 2005 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Religions of the East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religions of the East

Renee
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Great overview of Eastern traditions. I appreciated the fresh approach of the Prof - excellent audio presentation. This is a springboard for further study and very motivating, I’m likely to noodle down further to understand some of the characters who came into focus during the 19th and 20th centuries. Psychology’s perspective (Freud/Jung) is also begging for attention.
Samantha York
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome overview - scholarly and engaging. The way he organizes the approach to each religion - and then to each in America - prompts good sense-making.
(_.- Jared -._) ₪ Book Nerd ₪
Very good study of the eastern religions as taught from the American's perspective. It is very enjoyable to learn of these religions and customs that are so foreign to the Western culture and understandings. The course was not as thorough as I would have liked but was a great introduction and overview to the eastern religions.

The difficulty comes, to me at least, in that Hinduism and Buddhism are very similar as Catholicism and Protestantism are and it is easy to become confused on as to which
Tara
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a good survey of eastern religions starting with the Vedas to Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism - Theravadan (s. East Asia), Buddhism in Japan and China, then ending with Confucism. Of course with a survey format there is some broadbrushing of concepts, but not too bad, I especially enjoyed the tradition I didn't know about which was Sikhism. He also asked the same questions and fit each into different categories, e.g. layperson vs monastic based etc. and always talked about how each one unfo ...more
Garren
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-courses
I now have a much better understanding of the different kinds of Buddhism. The material on Hinduism, Sikhism, Confucianism, and Taoism were mostly review for me. This course is a clear, objective introduction suitable for teen audiences through retired sages.

It's fascinating to see how other cultures have dealt with big questions outside of the familiar Abrahamic traditions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
Skylar Burris
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: eastern-religion
I fairly regularly listen to lectures on religion and literature, and this was less engrossing to me than most. I'm not sure if it was less so because of the format of the lecture (somewhat repetitive) or the content of the coverage (not that deep and too focused on American forms) or the lecturer's style. If I had to tell you a new insight I took away from this …I'd be hard pressed. I feel like I could have read a handful of pages from an encyclopedia and come out just as enlightened.
Steve
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Not exactly a book, but 14 lectures on Eastern religions. A good overview though of course it's impossible to go into any serious detail in this format. The most informative material was that concerning these religions history and development in the US, clearly demonstrating that no religion can exist isolated from its larger culture.
Bryan
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scholarly theologians
As an overview of the eastern religions I think this course does an okay job. Professor Prothero keeps a good perspective on all the religions from an academic angle.

Three stars for its thorough research and clear presentation.
Adrienne
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
OK basic book on eastern religions, but hardly scratches the surface.
Emily
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of the only college textbooks I'll refer to again and again.
Bookwyrm13
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-reads
clear and interesting, didnot realize how much of this is rooted in the vedas
Linnea Laffoon
Jan 11, 2016
Rachel
Aug 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephen Prothero is a professor in the Department of Religion at Boston University and the author of numerous books, most recently Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know—And Doesn't and American Jesus: How the Son of God Became a National Idol. He has commented on religion on dozens of National Public Radio programs and on television on CNN, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, MSNBC and Comedy Cent ...more