Start by marking “The Elusive Miss Ellison (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Elusive Miss Ellison (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #1)

The Elusive Miss Ellison

(Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace #1)

Pride, prejudice and forgiveness...
Published February 28th 2017 by Kregel Publications (first published February 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Elusive Miss Ellison, please sign up.
Jinjre Like Barbara, I had difficulties with the inaccuracy of the presentation of the undercurrents. I also found it difficult to fully believe that a…moreLike Barbara, I had difficulties with the inaccuracy of the presentation of the undercurrents. I also found it difficult to fully believe that a person could make the rather diametric change that Nicholas makes in such a short period of time - perhaps it could be done in the heart, but not with the quoting of scripture. I also felt like several scenes, rather than simply letting the characters own their faith, were pushy to the point of almost evangelical. Which, hey, if that's your thing, that's great.

Personally, I don't want to be preached to in my fiction. I read fiction to escape reality.(less)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3 stars for this Kindle freebie Regency era romance (now 99c), maybe 3.5 or 4 stars if you're a reader who really likes historical romances with a strong Christian religious element.

Lavinia Ellison is a lovely minister's daughter, a serious-minded bluestocking who takes to heart her duty to care for the poor in their English country village. When the new local earl, Nicholas Stamford--conveniently handsome and single--rides into town, she's highly prejudiced against him because of his tangentia
Dawn
I had the wonderful opportunity to read this debut novel with the option of endorsing it to my readers and my reader friends! I cannot recommend it enough! If you love my books, you will likely fall in love with Carolyn Miller's as well! It was such a joy to read! And here is my official endorsement for when the book comes out in a few months! I'll be buying a paperback of this book for my keeper shelf! ❤

"Lovers of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer will be delighted with Carolyn Miller's debut nov
Carrie Turansky
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Regency romance will be delighted with Carolyn Miller's debut novel, The Elusive Miss Ellison! She transports the reader back to England with interesting historical details that add realism and depth to the story. Nicholas's journey from a proud, self-centered man to a caring and devoted suitor will capture readers' hearts as it did Lavinia's. The Elusive Miss Ellison included just the right touch of inspiration for those who enjoy English historical romance.
Anne
DNF at 24%

This book would have been more aptly titled "The Annoying Miss Ellison". I have never met a more infuriating heroine in all of Regency fiction.

1. For starters, she is one of those young chits who "dislike embroidery". Yes, I'm biased. I love embroidery. So get lost. Heroines who dislike embroidery rarely have many points in their favour. Pick up your needle and stitch girl, stop trying to think you're better than everyone else!

2. Okay so her main hobbies are gardening (fair enough, i
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Oh be still my Regency-loving heart! With shades of Austen and Heyer, Carolyn Miller’s The Elusive Miss Ellison had me swooning and holding my breath and chuckling and smiling and even tearful a couple of times.

If you love the battle of wits between Elizabeth and Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, you will adore Lavinia and Nicholas. Lavinia’s sharp comebacks and strong opinions combined with Nicholas’ brooding arrogance … their conversations are delightfully droll, though you may find yourself winci
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Regency England is one of my favorite settings, and I was thrilled to find a new author to read in this genre! I loved the writing style, it was perfectly balanced between the formality of the time and revealing the emotions and feelings of the characters. There are powerful themes of humility, compassion, and forgiveness. Nicholas isn't the only one who goes through a process of change and self-improvement, Lavinia also learns some hard truths about herself and becomes more accepting and less c ...more
Celeste
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Full review now posted!

Sometimes, you need a radical change of pace. Since October, I’ve read more fantasy in a shorter period of time than I’ve ever read in my life. Don’t get me wrong; fantasy is my favorite genre, and it always will be. But there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. So I decided that I needed a little fantasy break. This book was about as far away from fantasy as is possible, and it was a breath of fresh air.

The Elusive Miss Ellison is a Christian historical romance,
Erin
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Austen- Gaskell- Heyer fans
Shelves: netgalley, series
Hmmmm... I have hemmed and hawed about where exactly to place my rating. The Elusive Miss Ellison is a nod to the novels of the 19th century and the Regency period. We have in Carolyn Miller's Lavinia Ellison, a well loved and compassionate protagonist. A minister's daughter, Lavinia is quite wary of the arrival of the aloof Lord Nicholas Hawkesbury. Nicholas has returned to take over his uncle's estate, but appears to be blind to the needs of his tenants. Throughout the novel, Lavinia and Nich ...more
R.J. Rodda
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A witty regency romance for Jane Austen fans with a strong dash of faith. I admit I found the most elusive character at the start to be the Earl. I found him difficult to get but all is clear in the end. The journey to belief is well done and the banter was fun and there were some great plot twists. An enjoyable book all round that deserves all the hype it is getting.
Iola
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Elusive Miss Ellison is everything a good Regency romance should be: it’s consistent with the writings of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer, and features plenty of wit and sparkle in the dialogue, especially that of the titular Miss Lavinnia Ellison. She reminds me of a combination of Austen and Heyer heroines, and there is a definite nod to the BBCs Ehle/Firth version of Pride and Prejudice in terms of the characters.

The plot isn’t P&P (thankfully), but again has echoes of Austen. The bi
Susan Snodgrass
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of Carolyn Miller before, but a friend posted this book on Facebook and the cover drew me in. I wanted to know more, so I purchased the book. I'm certainly very happy I did, for it was absolutely delightful.

I love a good Regency and this one fits the bill perfectly! It has everything Regency fans love; in fact, it reminds me a bit of an Austen novel. Miller's characters are well formed, even secondary ones, some of whom, I did not care for one bit!

The setting is great and the
Carla
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
**I received a free eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Nicholas Stamford's brother did something awful to Lavinia's family in the past, and she finds it really difficult to forgive Nicholas and forget about it. Especially since he's the new Earl, and he's going to need to show more compassion for the people from the town if he wants to be in Lavinia's good graces.

At first, Stamford seems really rude and oh so full of himself... but even so, I never disliked h
Carole Jarvis
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2nHT7YE

I thoroughly enjoyed Carolyn Miller’s debut novel, The Elusive Miss Ellison. The Regency romance is one of my favorite genres – and while many reviewers allude to Jane Austen, my love for this genre is entirely due to the prolific writing of Georgette Heyer. The Elusive Miss Ellison is well written with a vivid sense of place and period authenticity, and blends Heyer’s witty dialogue with a strong foundation of faith.

Beneath all the witty repa
Sammy Loves Books
5.0 Beautifully written, christian faith based romance.
Reminded me so much of Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice with Georgette Heyer's writing style.

description

Can't wait to read more of this series!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
4.5 Stars

THE ELUSIVE MISS ELLISON was a joy to read from the very first page! With a very Austenesque feel, charming characters, plenty of romantic tension, and a plot with a few twists here and there, it is sure to keep readers intrigued and ready for more from this new promising inspirational author.

I loved these characters! I loved Lavinia with all her honest, although sometimes cutting, remarks. She was so willing to help others and to also let those around her shine. A good friend. A good d
Susan
Great debut by Australian author, Carolyn Miller! If you love historical fiction written in the tradition of Jane Austen, this is a must read.

Carolyn Miller weaves a beautiful tapestry of words filled with rich historical detail in her debut, The Elusive Miss Ellison. She draws her reader into a world filled with the social restraints and expectations of this time period. Lavinia Ellison, hindered by these restraints, is not blinded to the needs of those around her. While serving the members in
Melissa
This started out as a Pride and Prejudice type novel. Very proud and stubborn people who fight the attraction they have for each other. The tension is there but this is a very proper novel like P and P. I loved everything at first and the novel started off great. Good characters with our hero being a wounded war veteran and a bit of a brat. Then we have the proud but very good reverends daughter. The banter between the two was fun and took me to regency England. The Religious element was a littl ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
A well written Regency Romance is always a delight to read. There are reasons that I am a fan of the genre and this book didn't disappoint me. I love the formality, flirting banter, society gossip, and maneuvering matrons. The best part is when there is a strong female who refuses to be governed by society, in this case it is Miss Ellison.

This book caught my attention right from the beginning. Miss Ellison doesn't relegate chores to the servants and is mistaken for one when she first meets the E
Katie W
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This charming tale of vivacious Lavinia and the proud Earl of Hawkesbury captured my heart and soul from the start. Lavinia is so atypical, which endears her to readers, and to Nicholas, as she stands up for herself and stands apart from the crowd. Her heart is fully entrenched in service, with little thought of herself, and because she's not caught up in the normal obsessions of society, she's deemed unworthy by some and an angel by others.

Loneliness often disguises itself in interesting ways,
Kav
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sqqquuuueeeallll! New Regency Author Alert!!!! And this is her debut novel...with two more to follow this year. I'm all aflutter as I sink onto my fainting couch in full Regency-worthy swoon. Pass the smelling salts please.

If you love Jane Austen -- especially Pride and Prejudice -- this novel is for you. Exquisitely written with rich dialogue and delightful descriptions. I felt like I'd time-traveled to 1813 Gloucestershire England. Be still my heart.

And I'm in rapturous joy over the sublime b
Jamie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
2.5
It’s always fun to get the chance to read an author’s debut novel. A new voice to the mix keeps things fresh. That’s one reason I decided to join in and review Carolyn Miller’s The Elusive Miss Ellison.

While I liked the idea of this novel, with its hints of Pride and Prejudice and a Jane Austen type heroine, there were some parts that were a bit overdone for me with the characters. I think they were too much of what they were supposed to represent (if that makes sense at all). I’m all about a
Pamela
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This started out for me with a delightful couple and charming banter between them. But, as the story progressed, the religious undertones seemed to take over and then I became less interested in the leads. I don't mind religious undertones, but I don't want it to be the whole story. It was a shame for me because I really did like the writing and the story. I want to read the rest in the series, but find myself hesitant to do so.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest
Kim
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
loved this book cant wait to get my hands on the 2nd book
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Hampton Hall's new owner has the villagers of St. Hampton Heath all aflutter--all except Lavinia Ellison. The reverend's daughter cares for those who are poor and sick, and the seventh Earl of Hawkesbury definitely does not meet that criteria. His refusal to take his responsibilities seriously, or even darken the door of the church, leave her convinced he is as arrogant and reckless as his brother--his brother who stole the most important person in Lavinia's world.
Nicholas Sta
Melissa
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5
I really enjoyed that the hero was not a stellar man to begin with, and even after his conversion he didn't turn into the best man ever. I like real flawed characters finding someone to love them as they are...and to be turned into better people because of them. That's essentially me and the hubby, we weren't that great before we met each other, we might not be that great now, but we're better for loving each other.

There were a few things at the end that confused me on how they fit. Such as
Becca (Reflections From My Bookshelves)
What a fun read! I started this book and couldn’t put it down! This was a new twist on the Regency era. I loved Lavinia’s character. She is definitely not going to be one of the society belle’s. She is more interested in helping the poor and sick. It reminded me a little of Pride and Prejudice. I thought the interactions between character’s were a lot of fun. I liked how Carolyn Miller took her characters and put them in difficult situations which stretched and strengthened them. Even though thi ...more
Brittany
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have found a new series to love! I’m a fan of books set in the Regency time period, so I had high hopes for The Elusive Miss Ellison. This novel lived up to my hopes and I was absolutely delighted with this enchanting story. I was also extremely pleased to find out that there will be two more books in this series. I can hardly wait!

I loved the setting and the pacing of this novel. It was very reminiscent of Jane Austen’s pacing, yet this author definitely created her own unique style in the st
Rachel
I enjoyed this Regency era story about an Earl and a minister's daughter who push each other to become a better version of themselves and in the process fall in love.

I liked the way Lavinia is so invested in helping the poor and sick and is so down to earth and does things for herself. I also like that even though she's generally a very kind and loving person, she's also portrayed as a flawed human being who struggles with a judgmental attitude toward the Earl because of a tragic incident caused
Lynda Edwards
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper-shelf
When a new Regency author enters the Christian publishing scene, I pick the book up with a mixture of delight and fear. If done well, the novel finds a permanent home on my keeper shelf thanks to my BBC induced Regency obsession. If it is poorly written or has historical errors and modern intrusions, I find myself more disappointed than with a similarly written book in a time period with which I am less familiar. Thankfully, The Elusive Miss Ellison falls into the excellent fiction category and ...more
Anne
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I tried to win this book in numerous giveaways, to no avail! I knew from the cover and blurb that I was going to like this story but I just want to say that I absolutely LOVE this story!!!

Rarely do we get to see the protagonists POV this prominent in a book. Stamford is the quintessential Regency earl. I love his character! Being inside his head so much was a real treat. His doubts and cynicism and struggles were presented in such a realistic way that I was not positive he was going to come to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 26, 2017 11:25AM

• Dawn at Emberwilde (Treasures of Surrey, #2)
  • An Inconvenient Beauty (Hawthorne House, #4)
  • A Bride at Last (Unexpected Brides, #3)
  • Shine Like the Dawn
  • Lady of a Thousand Treasures (The Victorian Ladies, #1)
  • The Captain's Daughter (London Beginnings, #1)
  • The Reluctant Duchess (Ladies of the Manor, #2)
  • A Convenient Engagement  (Brides of Brighton #1)
  • At Love's Bidding (Ozark Mountain Romance, #2)
  • The Captive Heart
  • A Most Noble Heir
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • For Love or Honor (The Jonquil Brothers #5)

Carolyn Miller lives in New South Wales, Australia, with her husband and four children. A longtime lover of Regency romance, Carolyn's previous novels have won several contests, including the 2014 RWA "Touched by Love" and 2014 ACFW Gensis contests. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and My Bo

Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace (3 books)
  • The Captivating Lady Charlotte (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #2)
  • The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #3)
“God was so very far away.” 2 likes