Start by marking “Between the Levees” as Want to Read:
Between the Levees

Between the Levees

For Sam Miller, family is what he wants most in the world.

Though with his parents deceased since he was a boy, and with no way of uncovering who they were, finding a sense of family is more than a daunting task—it seems impossible. Until he goes to Louisiana’s Cajun country, with hopes of finding a man who perhaps knew them.

After enduring blistering heat, torment from
Published July 4th 2016 by Jonathan Olivier

To ask other readers questions about Between the Levees, please sign up.
Jonathan Olivier It was left out intentionally. It will, for now, be a mystery. Thanks for the question!

Start your review of Between the Levees
Julie
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy drama-free, realistic fiction
I had the privilege of beta reading this book and received a copy of the published book from the author. I didn’t purchase the book but did not receive a copy in exchange for this review.

I was interested in reading this book because it is set near New Iberia, LA, which is a small city in Cajun-country where my family lived for a few years. We met some of the nicest people there, some of which are still friends. Mr. Olivier did a great job of catching the laid back feeling of this culture. Like m
Amie's Book Reviews
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Rating: 4 OUT OF 5 STARS

* I won a free autographed copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway program.

What does home mean to you?

What is the definition of family?

How important is it to find a place where you truly feel that you belong? And, what would you be willing to do to find it?

Sam's parents died when he was only an infant. The courts were able to find a distant relative who was willing to take him in, but his early life was anything but idyllic. Because of this, he left "home" a
Zach
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an great first novel from a talented young writer. The author manages to capture the essence of south Louisiana through his vivid descriptions of life between the levees in Louisiana's Atchafalaya Basin for Sam Miller. Miller's mentor in basin life Vincent Dupuis is the perfect personification of the Cajun culture, friendly, loving, welcoming, always down for a cup a coffee a nice visit with friends. This is a heartfelt story of a young man's discovery of self and his home.
Brittney Carmichael
I enjoyed this book
Tony Parsons
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bayou Pigeon, LA. Samuel “Sam” Miller (25, son), was trying to locate Vincent Dupuis (55+).
He was curious about his biological parents: Ryan Landry (husband/father, deceased), & Martha Landry (wife/mother, deceased).
At a small gas station, he met Betsy & Mr. Lloyd.
He knew Vincent & gave him somewhat directions to where he lived.

A friendship began & stories of Sam’s parents poured out of the elderly Cajun.
The 2 jumped in his “Ole Blue” (Ford PU) & were off for an adventure.
Vincent’s 1973 18’
Sue Williams
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always been fascinated by the Louisiana swamps and bayous with their lush greenery so I was looking forward to reading this book. Sam hadn't had an easy life so far. His parents were dead and he had been raised by relatives that didn't particularly want him. He lived in Boston, worked a dead end job and was basically unexcited about life. One day he walked away from his job and on a whim decided to go to Louisiana where he had been born. Someone told him there was a man named Vincent ther ...more
Sandra G. Harris
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Descriptions of South Louisiana

Having been born and raised in northeast Louisiana, for years I'd only heard of" South Louisiana". Then I met and married a man from the Lafayette area. We sometimes went to his family home for holidays and his brother took us on rides thru bayou areas. I fell in LOVE with South Louisiana!! This book is so descriptive of the areas and the Cajun culture, as I was reading I felt as though I was actually in the boat-riding through the bayou. I thoroughly enjoyed
Patricia Whittington
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
True Louisiana Description

Since I live in Louisiana I know this book truly describes South Louisiana and the way some of the people live. It's a very interesting area and there is so much history belonging to the Cajun people. I liked the way Vincent took Sam in and taught him the things that would have come natural to him if he had not been taken from there. Yes, this book is worth reading. I thank the author for his real description of the area.
Michael
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book

This book was one of the best I've received as a free e-book for my Kindle. I sympathized with Sam, and as the story of his life unfolded I became more and more thankful for the life I've had, though I too am a bit of a loner. This also made me sympathize with Vin, who was about my age.
Sheila Dugan
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

It has been a while since I have read something that has been as captivating to me as this book has. I have learned about a culture I knew absolutely nothing about l always thought Cajun was a seasoning, I knew nothing about these strong, brave people. I thought the story was very well told.
Janie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HeArt warming and inspiring memories of a people and way of life

A reminder of a place that will always keep a segment of America’s past alive. A culture and work ethic that is worth keeping alive.
Laurel
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This book was worth reading on so many different levels. The journey to find family, change of lifestyle, and acceptance of self shines through out the book. This would make a great movie.
TRENA LAMORE
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Slow

If you are a native of Louisiana then I'm thinking this book is for you since that's about all it's about, the scenery , other than that I found this book slow and pretty shallow.
teresa
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Compelling read

Life of the Louisiana swamp area as if you are on the boat yourself. The characters are so real you relate to them immediately. This book makes my , must read, list.
Marcy Mattern
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and couldn’t put it down. I was able to visit a part of the country I know little about, I got a feel for the environment of a swamp and understood his wanting to connect to his lost family. I truly devoured this book.
Stretchycat
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Levees

I found this book was gentle and soothing while the plot kept moving along at a good pace. Great book!
Barb
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sam never knew his parents, he only knew their names and lived in Boston. Decided to go to the Bayou to find a man that knew his parents....and the story begins...great story
Oak
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Jonathan Olivier’s novel Between the Levees, 25-year-old Sam Miller travels to Bayou Pigeon, Louisiana, to search for Vincent Dupuis, a now-elderly man who had unsuccessfully tried to gain custody of Sam after he was orphaned as a young child. The story deals with realistic life situations, such as overcoming a painful past, though it also has a pleasant feeling of escapism; the book has a calm and peaceful atmosphere to it. Sam is sometimes rough around the edges, but he is a likable, empath ...more
P. J. Niman
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Heart Warming Story

I loved the people in this story. I like the location and lifestyle of the people of Louisiana . It was a very good and interesting read.
Shirley Respicio
Dec 24, 2017
Deborah Warren
Dec 30, 2017
Bette Parris
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A place of wonder came to life

When I first started to read this book I didn't know if I would like it. I had heard about the Louisiana bayou, but never gave it much thought. After reading this well written book that completely caught my attention I wish I could have seen the beauty myself. I wish I could have breathed the air and felt the peace that Sam did. I thank you for giving me a little piece of splendor.
Adolph Antonacci

• Eliza Jumel Burr: Vice Queen of the United States
  • Mules and Men
  • Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America
  • Flight
  • Louisiana Bigshot (Talba Wallis, #2)
  • A Handful of Dust
  • Red Clay Girl
  • Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm
  • Provence, 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard, and the Reinvention of American Taste
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • Southern Discomfort: A Memoir
  • Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World
  • The Sword of Honour Trilogy
  • Deep South: Four Seasons on Back Roads
  • Little Flower
  • The Hostage of Glenorchy (Highland Ballad #1)
Jonathan began his writing career as a journalist, and he has won several awards for his reporting on outdoor recreation and environmental issues. His debut novel "Between the Levees" was inspired by his love for the wilderness of Louisiana's Atchafalaya River Basin, as well as his Cajun lineage.