Start by marking “Witness” as Want to Read:
Witness

Witness

To Rebecca it was a brave decision that led to her freedom from domestic abuse. To Solomon it was the ultimate betrayal.

It’s been ten years since Rebecca’s testimony saw Solomon locked away. Enough time for the nightmares to recede, the nerves to relax; enough time to rebuild her life and put the past behind her.

Then one day a phone rings in her bedroom—but it’s not her
Audio CD
Published December 20th 2016 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witness

Start your review of Witness
Maureen
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley, Thomas & Mercer, & Caroline Mitchell for my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Would you be frozen with fear whenever you received a text? Probably not, but then you're not Rebecca and it's not Solomon texting you.

It's 2007 and Rebecca is taking part in a marathon in aid of cancer. Her mum is in hospital with terminal cancer and she feels as if she's doing something positive, even if it can't save her mum. She's finding the race really difficult but then
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

Caroline Mitchell is a fantastic writer. She has written this book
on a difficult subject matter, domestic abuse. This is a tough book. She
has spent several years of her career safeguarding high risk victims and their families. She has portrayed the strength it takes to escape an abusive relationship in this book. I usually don't like books about domestic abuse but this book was so different and clever. Rebecca made me so mad several times, but I don't know what I would do if I was in the same
Crumb
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was biting my nails through out this entire book. In the beginning I have to admit.. I was a little weary. I thought, "where is this going?" Is this going to be just another ordinary psychological thriller (side note: my favorite genre used to be psychological thrillers, but one can only read so many before they start to sound like one in the same)? However, I quickly jumped on board and my cynicism melted away. You see, this wasn't just another psychological thriller. This was clever, ...more
Arah-Lynda
No question about it. I am most decidedly in the minority here. Although this book has yet to be published it has earned a 4.6 average rating from 55 advance readers. 5 star reviews abound.

And yet……………

But first let me give you a short overview of the premise.

Ten years ago Rebecca was a witness in a murder trial. The man against whom she bore witness was also her boyfriend Solomon, and theirs had been an extremely abusive relationship.

Once Solomon is found guilty and sent to prison, Rebecca
Angela Marsons
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review - It is no secret that I love anything this lady writes. I find that her style carries me along beautifully. From the very first moment I felt Rebecca’s tension and did not breathe properly until I read the very last word. So engrossed in this book I found myself shouting warnings to the main character at my kindle. Just when I thought the tension could get no worse the story found another gear as we entered into a sick and twisted game. I finished this book at 1am and found thoughts ...more
Linda
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Witness through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Thomas & Mercer and to Caroline Mitchell for the opportunity.

You just can't un-do, un-see, un-live your past.

Rebecca's story is told in a "then" to "now" concept. We open the door on a bloodied male body on the floor with life oozing out of him rapidly. Rebecca hovers over him. Within moments, it's over for Jake, but it is just the beginning for Rebecca.

It's 2016 and Rebecca has moved to Pontyferry and is
Elaine
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How far would you go to escape an abusive relationship?

Rebecca thought she had found the perfect boyfriend meeting Solomon
It was at a time in Rebecca's life where she was feeling vulnerable and alone, so when Solomon appears, Rebecca is really happy.

photo tumblr_m71mc52Zkr1qjk34uo8_250_zpsclepgg4l.gif

Supportive, loving but assertive he can do no wrong, even Rebecca's mother approves.

Little did she know that Solomon may not quite be her knight in shining armour.

photo tumblr_inline_npad6lKxBy1sxmcoc_500_zpsxhusd88f.gif

Now she is free of him, with a new identity and a family... life is good.... but
Gary
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent novel by author Caroline Mitchell and I feel a little mean not giving it the top rating of 5 stars. I did really enjoy this book and it certainly had me gripped right from the very beginning and this author is quickly proving to be one of my very favourite writers.
Ten years after testifying against her abusive boyfriend Solomon, Rebecca tries to rebuild her life and finally put her past behind her. But when she receives a phone call from a phone left in her bedroom she quickly
Malia
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is my second book by Caroline Mitchell and though i am not so keen to start a new series, I am hooked on her writing style and will have to give one of her series a try soon. "Witness" like the book I read before it "The Silent Victim" are standalones and real page turners. I was immediately engaged by the story and remained so until the end of the book. The writing was good, the atmosphere taut and the characters well developed. Yes, there were a few clichés and I guessed a few of the ...more
Amy
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.

When I found out Caroline Mitchell was publishing her first psychological thriller with Thomas and Mercer I just knew I had to read it as soon as possible. She’s firmly cemented herself on my list of auto buy authors and fans of her work will be totally floored by Witness.

The premise of this book simultaneously creeped me out and intrigued me. Imagine having a psychopathic creep from your past come back only to force you to play a sick game.
Adrian Dooley
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my third Caroline Mitchell novel. Loved the first one and gave it five stars. Wasnt gone at all on the second and gave it three stars, so I went into this one with hope but not sure what to expect. I really neednt have worried.

Rebecca is in a very abusive relationship with Solomon. We start with a murder and Solomon going to prison as Rebecca ups and moves herself to Wales to start a new life. Married now with a child her horrible and secret past is behind her, or so she thinks. Solomon
sue
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I personally found this great story tense, exciting, sad, unforving and very very addictive.

Rebecca had finally escaped from Solomon and was convicted of abuse and jailed.

But even though the conviction of Solomon, it meant that Rebecca had to gain a new start in life, a new existence. Her life settled with a husband and her child.
But she was looking over her shoulder once Solomons release from prison.
Would she ever be free?

Her husband didn't know much about her past.

I loved how the author
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
For more of my reviews visit my blog at https://theblondelikesbooks.wordpress...

Witness is a thriller about a woman named Rebecca who found herself in an abusive relationship, but was able to escape and send her abusive controlling fiancé to prison. Ten years later, he's released from prison and is contacting her again. Angry about her testimony against him, he forces her to watch him commit crimes against people she knows and loves, and threatens to kill her if she goes to the police.

Rebecca,
Linda Strong
Ten years ago Rebecca testified against her then-boyfriend, Solomon. He had killed a co-worker of hers when he assumed they were having an affair. He spent those ten years in prison.

But now he's out ... looking for revenge.

Even though she is now married and the mother to a young child, he has tracked her down.
Let the games begin!

He breaks into her home and leaves a phone just for her. He sends her a message ... for each of the 10 years he spent in prison, she must witness a crime. To make
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Another winner from Caroline! This one is engaging, clever with some surprises and clever twisty bits along the way. Tackling dark themes I loved it!

I loved the plot concept of this book, it was guaranteed to keep you on your toes and guessing all the way. I loved the characters in this book both the likeable and unlikeable and the moral questions raised were excellent? What would you do? Made me really think.

Caroline had me loving this book then stunned by the ending. What the? Some fab reveals
Christine
Caroline Mitchell returns with a chilling new psychological thriller Witness. This is a gripping story of revenge, of a sad twisted relationship and a victim being played with.

We follow Rebecca, who ten years ago testified against her boyfriend Solomon and put him behind bars. She has moved on and now lives in Wales, happily married with a child. Through her diaries, we start to unpick Rebecca’s troubled past. We get to understand the controlling and abusive relationship of Rebecca and Solomon.
Jules
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
Having read three crime novels by this author in the past, I was quite intrigued by Witness, as it was described as a thriller rather than crime. I’m not a huge fan of police procedural crime novels, so really wanted to see what I thought of this thriller. Although I did actually enjoy all of the Detective Jennifer Knight series, and the fascinating character of Frank in the first book, Don’t Turn Around, who still stays with me, I have to say that Witness is now my favourite book by this ...more
Mo
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not suspend the disbelief enough to go with this one. Rebecca's actions were stupid, to my mind, especially after all she had been through.

"It'll take more than the darkness to save you from me."

There was one line towards the end of the book and I sort of knew what was coming up.

I enjoyed the other book I read by this author and will check out her other books but this one fell a bit flat.

I think my expectations might have been a bit high prior to starting it.

Andrea
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Fantastic gripping read couldn't put this book down domestic violence so true to life controlled by another person this book a dark read Rebecca under the influence of Solomon. he gets involved with every part of her life meeting her and it was all planned, her mum was sick with cancer,he said he was sick also bit by bit the controlling starts. he gets put in prison for murder but years later he's back to start games with her using a mobile to witness and choosing who he wants to hurt.disturbing ...more
Chloe
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Ten years ago Rebecca was instrumental in sending her abusive boyfriend, Solomon, to jail after he killed one of her coworkers suspecting them of having an affair. Rebecca has rebuilt her life and is living in a small town with her husband, a vet, and her daughter Lottie, but a text from Solomon threatens to destroy her peaceful existence. He sends her a message that for each of the ten years he spent in jail Rebecca is supposed to witness a crime and can choose her victims.

An interesting
Lee
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Caroline Mitchell has presented us with another great book. The story revolves around Rebecca who has just testified in court regarding the domestic violence she has suffered from her ex partner Soloman. Soloman recieves a ten year sentence and once released is out for revenge. Now the creepiness begins. Rebecca is now married with a young child when Soloman breaks into her house and leaves her a phone, she is now terrified and life is about to get a lot worse. On the phone Soloman ...more
Mel Sherratt
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark, yet compelling, domestic drama that had me hooked straight off. The tension built up and up, the fear and sense of dread layered throughout, and the tension had me breathless. I devoured every page.
Brenda -Traveling Sister
3.5 Stars
I found Witness to have an interesting and different take to it for a psychological thriller. The story draws you into a dangerous and twisted mind game controlled by an abuser Solomon. He controls and manipulates Rebecca by making her make decisions that test her morals and pushes her to sacrifice people to protect herself and her family.

The story is told from Solomon and Rebecca's point of view. Giving me a good understanding of Solomon's abusive mind and Rebecca's fears. Rebecca's
Judy Collins
Talented author, Caroline Mitchell returns following Love You to Death Detective Ruby Preston #1, landing on my Top Books of 2016 with yet another edge-of-your-seat thriller, WITNESS -A wicked, deliciously evil, slow-burning, taut psychological suspense crime thriller, with a killer twist.

The book begins with a brief crime scene, 2007. There has been a murder. Rebecca’s work colleague (teachers at the same school); Jake age twenty-two has been stabbed in the home of Rebecca. She is a key
The Book Review Café
All my reviews can be found at http://thebookreviewcafe.com

OMG this has to be one of the most twisted and nerve-wracking books I’ve read this year if you love a psychological thriller you DO NOT want to miss this one. Caroline Mitchell never fails to amaze me, she has written three books this year alone! Witness is the third and final book to be released this year, but I’m thrilled to report that despite this being her third book it hasn’t lost any of the quality I’ve come to expect from this
Kath Middleton
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca has been snared into what becomes a very dark, psychologically and physically abusive, relationship with Solomon, who seems heaven-sent when he befriends her as her mother is dying. He isn’t all he seems, though, and she is a witness at his trial for murder. When, ten years later, he is released, she thinks she is safe with her husband and child in Wales. She isn’t. Solomon, an IT expert, finds ways to watch her, follow her and make her witness crimes against others. ‘If you go to the ...more
Bill Kupersmith
Unfortunately lost heart on this one about 1/3 done. Really wanted to like it but I think I am just burnt out on domestic abuse stories. Not that I'm callous about the victims, but the opposite. Cannot enjoy reading about psychological torture & skipped ahead to find a twist that provided some new flavour but not enough to repay the effort. I still really like the author, but I think paranormal suits her better. Feeling a need for the spiritual & the spooky.
Sibel Hodge
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tension-filled and twisty read that you can't put down! :) xx
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
4.5 rounded up! (& the audio was great!) This was so good! I guess i went in with expectations that certain key aspects were going to be hard to swallow, but man the author did such a great job with the characters & back stories that i was all in. (& any reservation i held on to were more then answered in the end.) For me this was an addictive, quick read. I enjoyed the multiple points of view, the characters were intense- both good & bad. Not much i can say out of fear of giving ...more
Monnie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"One say or another I'm gonna find ya
I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha...
"

--Blondie (written by Debbie Harry and Nigel Harrison)

The lyrics of that old song ran through my head almost all the way through this book, which, for the record, I enjoyed. Still, now that I've finished, I'm faced with this question: How do I review a book that's exceptionally well written with a plot that's clever, intriguing and compelling but with a lead character who frustrated the heck out of me?

Let me explain.

• When She Returned
  • The Promise
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Lock the Door
  • The Shape of Lies (DCI Tom Douglas, #8)
  • The Woman in Our House
  • The Perfect Child
  • Bring Them Home (DS Karen Hart, #1)
  • Girl Number One
  • Phantom Limb
  • What You Did
  • Forget Her Name
  • Don't Even Breathe
  • In Her Shadow
USA Today and Global #1 Bestselling Thriller Author.

Caroline originates from Ireland and now lives with her family in a pretty village on the coast of Essex. A former police detective, Caroline has worked in CID and specialised in roles dealing with vulnerable victims, high-risk victims of domestic abuse, and serious sexual offences. She now writes full time.
Set in Shoreditch, London, her DS Ruby
“I knelt to pick up the pages of my journal, my ugly secrets, scattered across the floor. This wasn’t the person that Sean married. What did he think of me now?"
- WITNESS”
0 likes
“He would never comprehend what I was going through unless I told him, but he'd never look at me the same way again if I did.” 0 likes