Start by marking “This Is Paris” as Want to Read:
This Is Paris

This Is Paris

(This is...)

With the same wit and perception that distinguished his charming books on London, New York, and San Francisco, here this famous Czech painter presents his impressions of Paris in This Is Paris, first published in 1959 and now updated for the 21st century. We see its famous buildings, its beautiful gardens, the museums, the sidewalk cafes, and the people who live there -- a ...more
Published April 24th 2004 by Universe Publishing(NY) (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Paris

Ashleigh Rose
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read in the reading room in Shakespeare & Co. in Paris. Really informative for both kids and adults :)
C.G.
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute picture book, one that left my husband and I saying, "How did we miss seeing [fill in the blank] in Paris?!" Whether you want to prepare a child for an upcoming trip, or you simply want to broaden their world and show them what life is like somewhere else, this is a super cute, simple, yet marvelous addition to any child's (or adult's) bookshelf.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The bits and bobs of 1959 Paris, with annotations. Like San Francisco, not much in this book has changed.

ansvarcova
Šaškovy ilustrace jsou něco neskutečného, opravdu je to takové pohlazení po duši. Každopádně kniha To je Paříž mi přišla - jak texty, tak samotnými kresbami - o něco slabší, než To je Praha, která byla od Šaška mou prvotinou.
Daniela
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Once I have found this book at Amazon and I wondered about the Czech name of the author. I got to explore the book and realized that he was a Czech, what a mystery, we have never been taught about him at school (of no type). His books were written in English after he emigrated from the Czechoslovakia and were never published in Czech. I got too amazed and curious about this book, so I bought it, read it and love it! All the pictures and the style he wrote it in. I just feel cheated, that we Czec ...more
Deborah
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I received this book for Christmas. Besides having fun identifying the sights I knew, the book is one that would work as a model for students to write about any place they know well. Some of the places are followed by details that show more depth of knowledge--and that's what I'd go for if I had students write their own books about a place.
Alarra
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
One of a lovely series of old school picture books about different cities of the world written in (simplified) Chinese. My reading comprehension isn't great, so I stumbled my way through the book being able to read about 50%, and understanding about 80% (with a little bit of cheating/guessing when I could recognise the landmark or facet of Paris illustrated).
Emily
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i got this book for the kids to read during our upcoming trip to paris with the stewarts. it's absolutely fabulous! love that even though it was written in 1959 there isn't a whole lot that needs updating. i love everything about it, actually. will for sure be getting the rest of the books in this series.
Robin
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love the art. Casual chatty tone. Great series and author/artist to know about. Certainly dated (Les Halles isn't there anymore) but still a great book -- a first travel book for children, with elements they will appreciate (at one end of the Champs-Elysees "is a garden where you can ride on a donkey."
ABC
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Of all the books that we have read so far in the "This is..." series, I think this is my favorite. It is not out of date as others, probably because the monuments of Paris have not changed all that much. (Although I.M.Pei's famous pyramid is left out of this book, of course.)

The illustrations are lovely and really fit the atmosphere of Paris.
Roger
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
What a great introduction to Paris, and a fun series. I now know to be sure to avoid horse meat there, not to take the stairs on the Eiffel Tower, and have a good list of must-sees. Plus the artwork is great and it's aimed at things kids would notice, like the various types of lampposts.
Alice
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Originally published in 1959 and republished in 2004 this books is still a treasure! There are few clarification at the back of the book, but there aren't enough to have it detract from the information! Love the Vintage feel! Enjoyed the information! One day Paris..One day!
Katheline
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A bit old fashioned, but very recognisable story about Paris. Vivid drawings, nice story-telling with some fun facts for kids (eg number of cats living in paris). Books you have to collect if you're passionate about famous cities!
Jason Bradshaw
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I keep finding these in thrift stores and the art is seriously stunning. Sasek quickly became one of my favorite illustrators and I look at these all the time for ideas. Beautiful, beautiful series of books.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paris
I love Paris. I love this book. I'm going to Paris again soon and am going to check out a few sights that this book has taught me to love already (the dog cemetary for instance) and reappreciate the oldest public clock- we found it last time but didn't appreciate it's significance.
Karen
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Gorgeous illustrations! Read to my daughter who was home sick this week. She is a 3rd grader, and we are reading chapter books...but this was a fabulous journey back to picture books. We both loved it!
madziar
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: basia-read
Polskie wznowienie klasycznej, nagradzanej książki czeskiego ilustratora z 1959 r. (jednej z serii) - nakładem wydawnictwa Dwie Siostry.
Natalie
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great little tour of Paris. The illustrations are terrific too. Check out all the other books by Miroslav Sasek.
Sus
Sep 27, 2009 marked it as to-read
thanks for the rec, Lisa - these look like fun for the kids!
Mo
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a gift from Caroline, Campbell, Jon, Chrissy, and Joey. It's a beautiful old-fashioned book that explores Paris through a child's eyes. Love it! Merci, kids!
Colby Sharp
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Loved the pictures. Need to go to Paris.
Livi
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A sweet book about all the cool sights in Paris with a bit of history behind each one. Totally charming, I will definitely buy a copy before my first trip to the city of lights!
Trish
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: je, 2016
This is a neat travel book for kids. This book is about the city of Paris.
Rosemary Daly
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sasek's travel books are so clever and informative. A delight to read and read again.
Heather
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun one to review all the landmarks in Paris. The kids love it!
Lisa
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
En français.
Michelle Alley
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love, love these books written and illustrated by Sasek. The story is good, but admittedly, I love the illustrations more.
Šárka Krninská
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
nice for children, unexpected view on Paris. Un peu Paris archaique, la "nouvelle" Paris manque.
Lisa
Sep 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: children-s
I want this whole set for Nadia...
Angelica
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Excellent illustrations and v. cute. Interesting to see how Paris has changed since 1958, but still--it would be marvelous to have an updated version.
  • Adèle and Simon
  • Henri's Walk to Paris
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)
  • A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns
  • A Walk in Paris
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!
  • Just Being Audrey
  • The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Orani: My Father's Village
  • Bon Appetit! The Delicious Life of Julia Child
  • The Little Gardener
  • A Child's Book of Poems
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • Just Behave, Pablo Picasso!
  • Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
Miroslav Sasek (1916-1980) is an author and illustrator from Czechoslovakia. He is best known for a series of books for children titled This Is...

This is... (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • This is London