Start by marking “Cut Flower Garden” as Want to Read:
Cut Flower Garden

Cut Flower Garden

Published February 21st 2017 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Cut Flower Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cut Flower Garden

Start your review of Cut Flower Garden
Ginny Messina
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was recommended by the teacher of a class on cutting gardens that I recently took at our local botanical gardens. It’s a lovely book but with some serious flaws. The information is good but is far less comprehensive than I expected. As beautiful as the photos are, I would have preferred more text. Especially given that the photos were not always particularly informative; for example, many of them lacked captions. The single most off-putting thing about this book was the number of photo ...more
Michelle Morrell
This gorgeous book was the perfect resource at the perfect time.

I've long wanted a cut flower garden, and have slowly implemented more and more plants. This book was everything I needed to know to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. Everything from how to keep the massive plants upright to keeping specific flowers alive longer in vases to the best strains or most vibrant colors. And not only flowers, there were sections on greenery and even appropriate vegetables.

The photos were beautiful, and s
Dee
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone's favorite flower farmer has a new book! It is full of beautiful photos and great tips on how to grow the cutting garden of your dreams. I'm a big fan of Floret/Erin's seeds, and I've grown several of her zinnias in my Oklahoma garden. Great book. Look for a giveaway next week on my blog.
Matt Mattus
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plant-books
Let me preface this with I adore Erin Benzakein as so many do. I mean - she alone has started a movement that is changing how America grows flowers and how people garden. I was one of her early followers who couldn't wait for this book. So while it might be said that I am not the average reviewer of this book ( for as many of you know I am deeply involved with Sweet Pea and dahlia culture and have been for years), the fact that this book didn't meet my crazy 5 star rating is personal, but it sho ...more
Deseree
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!!! If you have any interest in growing flowers for any reason it's a must have! I'm a novice gardener, this book has been so helpful. Such a great educational book! The photography is amazing! Such in inspiring book! Thank you Floret Team!!!!
Erica
I unabashedly checked this out to look at the pictures.

I'm never going to grow a cutting garden. Even if I decided to do such a thing in my little yard, I wouldn't be able to use most of the information in this book, with exception to the planning pages, because where I live, the last frost is in mid- to late-May and first frost is typically mid-September. We have June-August to grow stuff and it's a struggle.

But I didn't "read" this book (I literally didn't read this book once I got into the se
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I cannot imagine writing a multiple hundred page book on cut flowers and not mentioning glads.
Judith
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
I can't say this helped me to start a cutting garden in the ways that I hoped it would, although I wasn't really clear on what I wanted to learn from it, either. How-to tips about soil, what to plant and not to plant together, how to figure out what will fit in the space you've allotted. Like that, I guess.

But I liked the whole idea enough that I've been following the author's blog about Floret Farm, her commercial flower farm, bulb and seed business since, have ordered seeds and bulbs from them
Lanette
I got this on Kindle for $1.80. Was it worth that? Yes. Am I glad I didn't buy the actual book? Yes. There are gorgeous pictures and suggestions for which flowers to grow, but as one who is considering a cut flower garden, I was left wanting more specifics. For instance, she mentioned netting for Zinnias but not where one would find said netting. On the other hand, I thought the designing arrangements sections were TOO specific... we were shown how to make specific arrangements, but I would have ...more
Rhode
It's gorgeous. Most of its glory is in the photographs however. The text is largely uninspired info you can get from most flower gardening books. You won't get tons of specifics behind running a cut flower business. You will learn that "peonies are very easy to grow".

This is largely for dreamers, not for doers.
Carolyn Page
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! it's pretty and useful and easy to understand-- it ticks all the boxes! She starts you off from the basics of planning and starting seedlings, to dividing the year into seasonal tasks, blooms, and projects. Every aspect from fertilization to arranging is covered, and I couldn't be happier.

I also really love how the book paper is thick and substantial, and the fonts and dividers are almost formatted like a reference book in their clearness.

Sadly I live in an apartment, bu
Katie Nelson
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've followed Floret Farm on Instagram for some time now and I love seeing all of the beautiful photos they share there. I was curious about the book and I'm so glad I picked it up. I guess this might seem strange to some, but I love reading for information and learning just as much as getting lost in a novel. I enjoyed finding out more background about the lady behind the farm and I learned so much about flowers. I really want to try my hand at some new varieties this year. Great book!
Onceinabluemoon
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gardening is my passion, we just purchased a new home, time to build a new garden after almost thirty years, I can barely sleep shaping up our new land. This book set me on fire, for twenty years I lived in my greenhouse, to start fresh is thrilling, everything she shared is how i once lived, I can't wait to make this place beautiful! Wonderful photos, great sound advice and seasonal tips, perfect for any garden enthusiast, novice to expert.
Kathryn
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Excellent, excellent, excellent. The photography is gorgeous and her chapters by season are just right to give me a to-do list at the right time of year. She has resources and suggestions and shares how her garden grows. I love this book.
Carolyn
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For a flower gardener, this is a book you want to own. Season by season she describes the germinating, planting, growing, harvesting and floral conditions desired by each variety. The photographs and clear descriptions are outstanding.
Alacia H (Our Charming Bookshelf)
I have always loved flowers, and this book is gorgeous & inspiring, and I plan to take the tips from these pages and start my own cut flower garden. I read every page and thought it was so much fun to do so! ...more
Karen Mahtin
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cut-flowers
Great book. Lots of photos, recommended varieties, and tips for growing, harvesting, preserving, and arranging.
Annie
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been following her Instagram for awhile now. Ranunculuses 😍. Just the how to book I've been looking for. Love that it is set up seasonally.
Dawn Nelson
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful & informative book. Worth reading cover to cover and I will use it as a reference resource for years to come. ...more
Hillary
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunning photos, helpful growing tips, and details about keeping cut flowers alive as long as possible. I have read this one multiple times and reference it often.
Jessica Ferguson
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is just such a lovely, helpful book on flower farming.
Kim
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-and-garden
The photography in this book is so beautiful.
Lindsey
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so gorgeous, I couldn't put it down. Looking through it had me dreaming of summer and it has inspired me to plant more flowers that I can bring inside throughout the year.
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful photos, great advise, very enjoyable and highly recommended. If you love flowers like I do, this book is a must read.
Elizabeth Barrera
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 24 hours! It will make a wonderful coffee table book as well as a garden guide. Now, I will test it for a year in my own garden.
Teri-K
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I bought the Kindle version, and was glad to see the photographs were there even if they were black and white. But I was ultimately a little disappointed in the text. The author does give a useful list of some of her favorite flowers and varieties for cutting and arranging, but I didn't really feel there was enough information for an entire book. I'm glad I only paid for the Kindle version.
Ran
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful book I've ever read. All the photos included in the book are breath-taking. The book includes probably all the details you'll ever want to know about starting your cut flower garden.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recently I've read several books on flower growing for harvesting and floral arranging. The two standouts were this and Martha Stewart's Flowers. There are pros and cons of both, but in recommending one over the other, it really depends on what you're looking for.

Cut Flower Garden is divided into sections, first by season, and in each an overview of what to grow, best varieties, and how to both grow it successfully and harvest it for display in order to get the longest vase life. The layout is g
Jeani
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gardening book is delightful. It's one of the very few gardening books that I have read cover-to-cover. The book is divided into the four seasons; it provides just enough information for the home flower gardener to plant, grow and harvest their own spot of beauty. The author provides details on soil, growing, staking, specific varieties of numerous plants and even tells the reader how well the flowers do in the vase after picking. Abundant photos in glorious color make this a joy to read an ...more
Michelle
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The strength of this book really is the photos. Its also an absolutely amazing beginner's gardening book - super inspiring and leads you through all the varieties that the author has had great success with wrt cut flower gardening for her business. Who doesn't love a book that gets them excited for the next season of gardening? My very favorite, in depth books for gardening were written by Barbara Damrosch- the photos aren't as gorgeous but it is geared towards my climate (which is important, to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers
  • Vegetables Love Flowers: Companion Planting for Beauty and Bounty
  • Welcome Home: A Cozy Minimalist Guide to Decorating and Hosting All Year Round
  • Cool Flowers: How to Grow and Enjoy Long-Blooming Hardy Annual Flowers Using Cool Weather Techniques
  • Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
  • Handpicked: Simple, Sustainable, and Seasonal Flower Arrangements
  • Raised Bed Gardening for Beginners: Everything You Need to Know to Start and Sustain a Thriving Garden
  • In Bloom: Growing, harvesting and arranging flowers all year round
  • The Flower Workshop: Lessons in Arranging Blooms, Branches, Fruits, and Foraged Materials
  • Half Baked Harvest Super Simple: More Than 125 Recipes for Instant, Overnight, Meal-Prepped, and Easy Comfort Foods: A Cookbook
  • All New Square Foot Gardening
  • Cozy White Cottage: 100 Ways to Love the Feeling of Being Home
  • On Flowers: Lessons from an Accidental Florist
  • How Not to Kill Your Houseplant: Survival Tips for the Horticulturally Challenged
  • The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live
  • Homebody: A Guide to Creating Spaces You Never Want to Leave
  • The Vegetable Gardener's Bible: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions
Celebrated flower farmer Erin Benzakein is known for her lush, romantic floral designs. She is the author of Floret Farm’s A Year in Flowers, a New York Times bestseller, and Floret Farm’s Cut Flower Garden, winner of the American Horticultural Society Book Award. Her work has been featured across notable publications, including Martha Stewart Living, Better Homes & Gardens, Sunset Magazine, The N ...more