Start by marking “Never Out of Season: How Having the Food We Want When We Want It Threatens Our Food Supply and Our Future” as Want to Read:

A Fast Food Nation for the foods we grow and depend on

The bananas we eat today aren't your parents' bananas: We eat a recognizable, consistent breakfast fruit that was standardized in the 1960s from dozens into one basic banana. But because of that, the banana we love is dangerously susceptible to a pathogen that might wipe them out.

That's the story of our food today:
Published March 14th 2017 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Never Out of Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Out of Season

Start your review of Never Out of Season: How Having the Food We Want When We Want It Threatens Our Food Supply and Our Future
Donna Kimball
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book fascinating. As a food historian, I was aware of many of the problems with mono-culture food supply, but Mr Dunn made me realize that this problem is much bigger then I ever imagined.
Mr Dunn also introduced me to many of the people of the past, and present, that have made attempts to save our fragile food supply.

This book is a must read for everyone who eats!
Joanna
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-food
I agree with other reviewers in the primary complaint about this book- the title is totally not in line with the content. I was kind of expecting something along the lines of Fugitive Denim or Flower Confidential- an insiders look into a commodity/industry, with a focus on our self-indulgence and the lengths to which producers and distributors go to satisfy our desire for fruit out of season, exotic flavorings, etc. I would have enjoyed that book more, I think. This book presents essentially the ...more
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mr. Dunn is definitely preaching to the choir here, but this is one of the better titles I've read about the need for biodiversity. Not only does the author explain how we've come to this stage --farming primarily monocultures that are all dependent of chemical inputs to maintain production/fight off plant diseases and pests-- but he also gives historical examples of the almost inevitable results (potatoes, bananas, rubber trees, cacao). Fascinating reading about the various scientists who have ...more
Benjamin
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only complaint is with the title. This is much more a story of how crops are saved (by hard work, nature and luck) and why we desperately need to conserve our remaining biodiversity, not so much a direct survey of the supermarket and what the consequences of demanding every type of food all season are.
James
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book about the perpetual evolutionary arms race between our crops and their pests, and the efforts made (and desperately needed) to stay ahead. Interesting personal and political stories about the plants we have come to rely on for survival.
Joshua Buhs
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
At the risk of being too cute: this is more a seed catalog than a sustained argument.

Seed catalog--that's a term I picked up from the old pseudoscientific author Ivan T. Sanderson, who would complain about books that were hardly more than lists of anomalous things, with nothing else added. Dunn's book isn't just a list, but the book doesn't really have an overarching perspective. He isn't in control of his material, and so it rides him, expanding beyond the scopes of what he wants to touch upon.
Jason Vanhee
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
A book about plant pathogens, which isn't what it presents itself as; I gathered from the title and subtitle that it would be about the modern practice of having all foods in all seasons, but while that is (barely) touched upon, it really has nothing to do with the book. It's fine, I guess, if you were looking for a popular science book about plant pathogens.
Tom Scanlan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who votes.
Recommended to Tom by: I won a prepublication copy from Good Reads
This thoroughly researched book covers a broad array of subjects under the general category of plant ecology. The author provides a marvelous education for the layman using a narrative style that will hold your interest even if you have little background in the life sciences. The author includes fascinating histories of the development of important agricultural products, from bananas to chocolate, corn, potatoes, rice and importantly rubber. He relates the important contribution of numerous ...more
Mary Nee
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is informative and educational , without being too hard to understand. It was interesting but I did get bogged down a little.
Michael Strauss
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Misleading title...more an analytical about crops and pests. Like reading a biology book.
Giedra
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read about the perpetual race between humanity's crops and nature's pests, and the challenges we face in trying to stay ahead. Dunn explores many of the times when we've fallen behind in this race in the past (the Irish potato famine and the loss of the first widely known banana species are 2 fairly well known examples) and uses this history to show how inevitable it is that we will fall behind again.

Like many reviewers, I didn't think the title quite fit with the book, as it didn't
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Never Out of Season: How Having the Food We Want When We Want It Threatens Our Food Supply and Our Future by Rob Dunn is a highly recommended discourse on the importance of diversity in our increasingly genetically standardized crops grown worldwide.

We used to know what season it was and where a person lived based on what food was available. Now agriculture has been globalized and homogenized. Food crops are breed for taste, productiveness and hardiness - and then that selected variety is the
Chris
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

That was really interesting. I had never known how much of modern agriculture is dependent on breeding traits from wild variants of crops or how much trouble there is in gathering the seeds of the wild variants for storing in seed vaults and then keeping the seeds alive in seed vaults.

One Russian scientist made a career of venturing to Anatolia and Central Asia to gather varieties of wheat and even learned local languages so he
Sweetheart_Seer
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I was sent an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.*

I found most of this fascinating! It amazes me how funds are chosen to be spent. Science/Agriculture lags behind when our very lives DEPEND on food...yet stupid entertainment/commercials/advertising is a multi-million dollar business. Unbelievable really.

I rather enjoyed learning about the previous ways that our food was brought to other places, the dangers inherit with moving crops about in that manner and learning a lot of agricultural
Tom Parker
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an enjoyable, and important book, that persuasively describes serious and growing threats to the world’s food supplies caused by a worrying decline in biodiversity and also addresses the need for increased public awareness of the necessity for wild plant conservation in general.

Plant conservation is a topic that doesn’t receive anywhere near the level of media attention and public recognition it deserves. This book is written in an informative, narrative style that will appeal to a
Matt Hooper
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
According to both Ecclesiastes and The Byrds – everything has a season. Everything, that is, except your favorite produce.

On any and every given day, you'll find the same fruits and veggies at your local grocery store. There are always bananas, oranges, berries, avocados, tomatoes, and salad greens. This lack of seasonality has had a profound, likely deleterious, effect on worldwide crop diversity.

Fact: We only grow the crops that are the most popular and most robust. That sounds reasonable on
Claire
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Once humans started to farm, they were wed to the field. There was no way to return to gathering. Populations grew fast, thanks to agriculture, and as they did they became ever more dependent on their crops. The crops, in turn, became ever more dependent on people. When the people suffered, the crops suffered. When the crops suffered, the people suffered. Farming was not an insight; it was instead a marriage, a bond between humans and seeds." - pg 215

Having studied anthropology and environment
Bookworm
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is not quite what the title says it is. When I first heard about the book it seemed like it would be an interesting read. How we can have food that is basically the same all the time, with less concern regarding seasonal changes, lack of water/fertilizer, geographic concerns, etc. At least, that's what I thought the book was about.

Instead it's a really dry book about how delicate the food chain is in regards to pests, pathogens, etc. To be fair, that is a very important topic but
Emily
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read on how the lack of diversity of our globalize crops leaves them (and therefore our food security) vulnerable to various pathogens. I really appreciated Dunn’s humorous quips and thorough notes section. He focusses on a few main crops such as cassava, corn, potatoes, latex (rubber), wheat, bananas, and coffee and outlines their evolution into monoculture. I also enjoyed how he spotlighted seed researchers/conservationists like Cary Fowler and Nikolai Vavilov as well as the lengths that ...more
Meg
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, health
I felt a little conflicted about this book. On the one hand, yes. Your point is well taken. On the other hand, pretty much all of the people profiled as "making a difference" or doing something that helps the situation are white men. Also the ultimate takeaway seems to be that "Science will solve it, we just need to collect all the seeds of all the plants everywhere," even though the author has alluded earlier to how (1) scientific methods actually caused a lot of the problems, and (2) the ...more
Christina Dudley
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and not entirely depressing read about the vulnerability of our food supply. Dunn examines everything from how we came to eat the few varieties of plants we eat (blame the Conquistadors and a few handfuls of survivor seeds), to past food threats, to efforts to save our food future. I'd read about the Irish Potato Famine and Cavendish banana before, and how the tomatoes we eat represent just the narrowest genetic slice of what's out there, but Dunn makes clear the pattern set by ...more
Kerri
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

I thought this was informative and well-researched, and I found it very interesting. However, it wasn't what I was expecting based on the title. Every now and then at the end of a chapter the author would have a few brilliant pages that kept me avidly turning pages into the next section, only to be mildly disappointed that he didn't really discuss what I wanted him to.

But overall, once I left the expectations of the title behind (I was
Kim Bakos
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This book took me quite a while to read, since it takes concentration to keep track of the historical and scientific information that it contains. But I did find it very interesting and well written, and I think what the author is talking about is very important.
It left me a little scared, though, that our food security is in peril, and there is not much as the average consumer that we can do to change that. I already do what he suggests we can do - grow some amount of our own food, buy/grow
Greg
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was pretty good; not quite what I was expecting (I thought it was going to be more about seasonality than it did), but interesting nonetheless. Dunn loves to repeat the central point he's trying to make: conserving the wild species of our staple crops and those plants we have yet to discover so as to ensure that future food sources do not succumb to disease and predation, all at once and with no remedy. The facts Dunn throws around are impressive, as far as just how dependent we've become on ...more
Roxanne
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like to eat, you should find this book interesting and educational.

The author focuses the reader on the simple fact that our world's food supply is too dependent on big agriculture and their chemical manufactures, and more people need to become aware of the dangers we face as the world's population continues to grow and grow.

The author encourages readers to grow our own food, or buy from our local farmers which is a trend that I think many people have started to do in the past 5-10
Christina
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rob Dunn's book will make you think about the foods you eat, the details of what brought them to your local grocery, your place in the web, and how fragile the entire system is. The author does a nice job of explaining the science of our increasing reliance on a limited number of species of crops. Loss of diversity is causing vulnerability to plants, putting them at great risk. With use of true stories he shows not only the challenges to our food supply but we can do as consumers to help. ...more
Daniel
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is another reminder of how planting vast tracts of genetically identical crops spurs development of pests and diseases. A new, resistant, variety used to be good for 12 years, now we are lucky to get 2-3 years. Yes we have many new genetic tools to use in designing new crops but, we are losing the genetic diversity of traditional seeds from which we may harvest resistant genes. Our salvation can only be found in diversity of crops and within crops.
Fabien
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: environment
Everybody SHOULD READ this book.

This is not a thriller, neither science fiction but the reality is very scary.

Thank you , Mr Dunn for analyzing all the problems and giving us advice to react before is too late.

It is up to us to protect the environment, care and cherish it for the next generations
yamiyoghurt
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
A fascinating read chock full with information about monocultures and how they failed. I enjoyed the factual part, but was kinda disappointed by some of the simplistic opinions of the author at the start of the book. All in all, the theme was strong, the message clear, and I've gained new insights on the topic.
Meghan
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free via Goodreads giveaways.

I really like this book. It taught me so many things about food production and how our crops are at risks to a variety of pests that leave the world vulnerable to famine. A definite read for everyone because we are all at risk to food loss if we're not careful.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Way We Eat Now
  • Vineyard in My Glass
  • Back to the Red Road
  • Water Ways: A thousand miles along Britain's canals
  • Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary
  • Whatever Happened to Margo?
  • Paddle: A long way around Ireland
  • Bad Boy (Inspector Banks, #19)
  • The Food Explorer: The True Adventures of the Globe-Trotting Botanist Who Transformed What America Eats
  • Fermentation Revolution: 70 Easy Recipes for Sauerkraut, Kombucha, Kimchi and More
  • A Bone to Pick: The good and bad news about food, with wisdom and advice on diets, food safety, GMOs, farming, and more
  • Liquid Rules: The Delightful and Dangerous Substances That Flow Through Our Lives
  • The Girl from the Metropol Hotel: Growing Up in Communist Russia
  • The First Thanksgiving: What the Real Story Tells Us about Loving God and Learning from History
  • A Risk Worth Taking