Start by marking “Six Scary Stories” as Want to Read:

selected and introduced by Stephen King

Number 1 bestselling horror author Stephen King introduces and presents six gripping and chilling stories in this captivating anthology!

Stephen King discovered these stories when he judged a competition run by Hodder & Stoughton and the Guardian to celebrate publication of his own collection The Bazaar of Bad
Published August 25th 2016 by Cemetery Dance Publications

To ask other readers questions about Six Scary Stories, please sign up.
Lydia Granda If you have a few hours to waste, this could be the book for you. Only 2 stories are worth your time in this book, The Wild Swimmer and The Unpicking,…moreIf you have a few hours to waste, this could be the book for you. Only 2 stories are worth your time in this book, The Wild Swimmer and The Unpicking, the rest aren't worth the paper they are printed on. None are scary at all(less)

Start your review of Six Scary Stories
Paul E. Morph
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story 1: 'Wild Swimming' by Elodie Harper

Brrrr... This creepy, little tale has genuinely given me chills... The only thing I wasn't keen on was the epistolary nature of the tale: in her e-mails to her friend, the protagonist wrote a bit too much like a fiction writer rather than how people actually write in e-mails. Still, this story genuinely made my flesh crawl so I'm giving it 4.5 stars...

Story 2: 'Eau-de-Eric' by Manuela Saragosa

This tale was very well-written with a three-dimensional (if
Kenny
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
2.5/5 There's not much to say about this slim volume. I initially thought this was a collection of stories by Stephen King. Once I found out the premise of this being stories that were selected by King in conjunction with a contest run by his British publisher, I was intrigued. The problem with this book is that the majority of stories were not scary.

The standouts were The Unpicking by Michael Button and The Bear Trap by Neil Hudson. Both gave me shivers and I have to admit and ending of The
Helga
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
This book contains six very short, more or less creepy and weird stories, selected by Stephen King in a competition. My personal favorites were EAU-DE-ERIC by Manuela Saragosa which would have gotten 5 stars and THE UNPICKING by Michael Button, which scared the hell out of me.
Hirdesh
It took me less than an hour to read this book.
I can not say much descriptively about the book, It has vulnerability leading within character at different milestones.
It was shortly expressed but utterly at instant.
I had enjoyed it, But I felt lack of enthusiasm.
Kind of ominous read, although has conventional aspects throughout the writings.
The Grim Reader
Well, this is a truly odd collection of “scary stories” selected by the king of horror, Stephen King! Apparently, King thought these stories were so good, they just had to be published…

I love, love, love Stephen King. He was my introduction to horror fiction and the man could do no wrong (until now). Hell, even his average books are better than a lot of the stuff out there! Sadly, King dropped a bollock with this one. Really, this book should be renamed, “One okay story and five shit ones”. Let’
Mindi
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was fun and super short. I read it quickly in a single sitting, and while none of the stories blew me away, I did enjoy it, with the standout for me being The Unpicking. None of theses stories are going to keep you awake at night, but I still had a good time reading them. And that cover art is gorgeous.
Rebecca McNutt
Six Scary Stories was a great book, definitely full of suspense and weirdness, although some of the stories were more plain bizarre than scary. There's some really good ones in this anthology that horror fans will definitely enjoy.
Ammar
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5
Collection of 6 short stories selected through a writing competition and edited by Stephen King.

Some are more enjoyable than others. My favourite is the first story.
Obsidian
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Well two stories out of six is not real good odds. These stories are a result of a contest that Stephen King's British publisher did in line with "The Bazaar of Bad Dreams" publication. We have the winning story and then five other stories that were part of the final six finalists. I really only liked two stories, "Wild Swimming" and "The Unpicking". I did think that two stories had promise, "Eau-de-Eric" and "La Mort De L'amant" and the last two stories I did not get or care for that much ...more
Brittany
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
More morbid and dark than actually scary. No need to read with the lights on like I had originally planned! The title mislead me, but the cover art, that I'm assuming is for the opening short story "Wild Swimming" is not only gorgeous but extremely fitting- that's what drew me to this book, that and Stephen King's stamp of approval.

"Wild Swimming" by Elodie Harper was my second favorite short in this anthology. I loved the style and anticipation it created. I also thought the ending was clever.
Rachel
Six fun stories! A couple of them weren't creepy but they were entertaining. A few were genuinely creepy. I particularly loved "Wild Swimming" and "The Unpicking." Enjoyed this fast read!
Alexis A. Mills
Aug 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh my, Stephen, I am right mad at you about now

I was looking forward to this book, and had preordered it when I first heard of it. If these were the best of 20 that he read, then the other 14 must have been truly awful. These are the worst I have read in some time, the only one that was halfway ok was the 2nd one, "Eau de Eric" I am truly disappointed in this endeavor. A no star rating would have been better
Chris
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, horror, arcs
I received a copy of this short story collection from Cemetery Dance in exchange for an honest review. I have been reading Cemetery Dance publications for years and they are a great publisher of many special editions and one of a kind books. I met some of my favorite writers through them.

Stephen King introduces this horror collection. He was called upon to judge a short story contest and choose his favorite, which he did. He chose Wild Swimming and he explains why. My personal favorite is a
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I grabbed this collection of short stories even not in the mood for a full novel. These were chosen by King as his six favourites submitted out of many in a competition run in the UK. His top story is the first one.

I was expecting 6 very creepy and well written stories but sadly half of them just didn’t deliver. I loved three and was bored as a banana with the other three. I really am unsure as to why King chose the ones he did. I’d love to read what was rejected!

His favourite story is the
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book contains six pretty short stories. Some I loved and some were just "meh." They're so short they are actually rather hard to review so here's a breakdown of my thoughts and ratings on each.

WILD SWIMMING: (3/5)This one is represented by the cover art and sort of gave me a "creature from the black lagoon" vibe.
EAU-DE-ERIC: (4/5)A maniacal dead husband returns in the form of a stuffed teddy bear - or does he?
THE SPOTS: (2/5) Counting spots on a leopard - my least favorite.
THE UNPICKING:
David  Armstrong
Sep 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
A disappointment

I purchased this book thinking I was getting a book written by Stephen King. He wrote a few words,but what I got was something written by six other authors. Nothing against anyone of them, but to pass this off as work by Stephen King was total bull$hlt. Would never have purchased this book had I known he wasn't the author. I want my money back.
Melissa
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yikes
I am totally not going to make a joke about how life these days is just one scary story after another . . .

I'm usually skeptical of collections like this. I don't know if I'm picky or what, but I usually don't find the claim of ". . . in each and every one there was that icy frisson of fear . . ." to be accurate as far as my tastes go, but color me pleasantly surprised because five out of six of these are really solid and creepy and well worth the read, and two of them are so good I've
John J Questore
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I may have mentioned it once or twice, but in case you missed it – I would by a limited edition bound copy of Stephen King’s grocery list if he ever decided to do something like that. Yes, that’s how much I love the man’s writing. On top of that, it’s published by Cemetery Dance Publications (which I may have also mentioned more than once). With those two things going for it, I knew it just had to be a win… until I discovered that the stories weren’t actually BY King, but chosen by him. When ...more
William Aicher
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Honestly I wasn't all that impressed with this collection. There were a few I thought were quite good. One in particular was excellent. The others... well it's pretty uneven as far as quality. I'm not going to see which ones I liked here and which I didn't, but if you read this go into it expecting to like some and not the others. Or maybe you'll like them all and I have bad taste. :)
Josh
Sep 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Good horror stories rely on ratcheting up the tension, unfortunately these stories were all too brief to build much pressure.

The first story is the best of the lot, but is still far too short to work up to a good scare. It has the bones of a good yarn, but it needed to be at least twice as long. Save your money and pass on this book.
Cynthia

This book was definitely entertaining to read. For the most part, the stories weren’t terribly scary. A better title might have been: One Scary Story With Four Other Slightly Disturbing Tales and a Satirical Political Statement. But that’s an awfully long title and it would have really ruined the lovely cover art.

My main complaint, aside from the lack of scariness, is that most of these stories felt underdeveloped. Since they were submissions for a contest, I am guessing that there was
Reanna
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
This was an okay collection of stories. I wouldn't necessarily classify them as scary per se. My favorites were The Unpicking which involves stuffed animals and The Bear Trap, both were really great.
Abbie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, novella, ebooks
I love the thrill that horror stories bring. These days, its hard to find well-written horror stories. When I saw this book, I immediately picked it up. But then I saw that the short stories weren't actually written by King so I felt hesitant to continue. Well, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the shorts were. I hope these up and coming authors create more amazing stories.
Erin
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
Stephen King's British publisher wanted to have a short story competition to accompany the publication of his The Bazaar of Bad Dreams and he agreed, because, hey, he likes short stories. These were the six best, including the winner of the competition and the first story in the anthology "Wild Swimming" by Elodie Harper.

I did not find these to be good stories. Maybe scary short stories are incredibly hard. I've read a number of anthologies of them for NetGalley and I'm nearly always horribly
Khristina Chess
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense-horror
This book falsely claimed to be by Steven King. In fact he wrote the Introduction and judged the contest that these stories were part of. I liked as couple of the stories but felt misled in the overall transaction.
Steve Altier
Not at all what I expected. The stories were alright, a few better than the others. Not much more to say except I give it three stars.
Melissa
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Unpicking was the creepiest story. And my favorite.
Isaac Thorne
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
If you've ever wondered what Stephen King thinks is scary writing outside of his own tales, this is the book for you. The six stories within this small collection were hand-picked by King. A full three of the six stories ("THE UNPICKING", "EAU-DE-ERIC," and "THE BEAR TRAP") prominently feature toys, including plush/stuffed animals. These three are among the better stories in the collection.

The remaining stories ("LA MORT DE L'AMANT", "WILD SWIMMING", and "THE SPOTS") all read as if they are
Mignon DeLarre
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only four stars because one story really sucked butt.
J.C. Brennan
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This anthology of short stories was quite enjoyable to read. It’s my opinion that any horror lover will want to read this book. The authors found in the book are:
Elodie Harper
Manuela Saragosa
Paul Bassett Davies
Michael Button
Stuart Johnstone
&
Neil Hudson
The book is filled with excellent writing and stories of spirits, hauntings, creepy toys, a leopard and a hungry bear. All are unique and frightfully compelling. However, I will admit, the one I am most partial too is The Unpicking by Michael
Books Stephen Kin...: General Discussion (NO SPOILERS) 29 39 Dec 28, 2016 10:49AM
Books Stephen Kin...: Overall Impressions (SPOILERS) 6 22 Dec 28, 2016 10:48AM

• Under Rotting Sky
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather
  • Don't Scream: 60 Tales to Terrify
  • There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
  • Devil's Wake (Devil's Wake, #1)
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more
“Never tell to much. The monster is always scarier when it is still under the child's bed.” 2 likes