Start by marking “Paris Nights: My Year at the Moulin Rouge” as Want to Read:
Paris Nights: My Year at the Moulin Rouge

Paris Nights: My Year at the Moulin Rouge

Taking a look back, we see twelve-year-old Cliff helming a
racing dinghy in the midst of a thunderstorm on the Vaal River. His father
yells at him not to be a sissy, and he brings the boat back to shore alone.
We then travel to London with his family escaping the tumult of Apartheid.
He trains for the Olympics, but drops out, enrolling in the South African
military where h
Kindle Edition
Published July 15th 2016 by Waldorf Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Paris Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris Nights

Andrea Stoeckel
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. Receiving a complimentary copy in no way reflected my review of this book. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”]

"There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one’s self." Benj
Gavin Mills
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. What can I say. Cliff's my best mate and describes our times together in the Moulin Rouge, Paris. A cool feeling to be a character in a book! Great days with a great friend. Well done Cliff. Excellent read!
Grass monster
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is not very often that I dont know where to start with a review, and this is one of those times.
I found this Memoir so utterly interesting that I dont know if I can quiet cover everything but I will try. I will admit that I have never heard of Cliff Simon until I decided to read his Memoir, the cover and title first drew me in and as I love all things Paris I thought id give it ago, besides it had an interesting blurb.
Paris Nights, My Year at the Moulin Rouge covers the life and journey of Cl
Denise
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paris Nights: My Year at the Moulin Rouge deals with a year in the life of Cliff Simon. In fact it is his coming of age. When Cliff is almost of the age to be drafted into the South African army, his upper middle class Jewish family decide to take him away from the political turmoil of apartheid in his native country and the dread of army conscription to a safer life in England. There, Cliff trains almost non-stop to make the national swim team. On the brink of burnout, Cliff makes the rash deci ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
In "Paris Nights," actor and dancer (who knew?) Cliff Simon recounts his year as a dancer at the famed Moulin Rouge in Paris. He also throws in some other stories from his life throughout the book so the book is not all about the Moulin Rouge but more of a memoir of some key events throughout Simon's life. This is a quick read that will give readers a taste of what it is like to perform at the Moulin Rouge, a place which has captured the imagination of so many over the years!

I have never been to
Susan Angela Wallace
Paris nights by Cliff Simon is a memoir read.
Cliff Simon is a bored 27-year-old. Giving Mills telephones him from Paris inviting him to join him.
Very good read.
I don't normally read this genre but I really enjoyed this book.
I liked the story and the characters.
Cliff and Giving were my favourite characters.
Had me gripped from start to finish.
Lovely to see photos in here.
I liked the ending too.
There was nothing I disliked about this book.
Highly recommended.
5* from me.
Thanks to waldorf publishing f
Debbie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Not being a television watcher, I was previously unfamiliar with Cliff Simon, a successful actor who is well-known in the UK and to US watchers of Stargate. This was thus my first exposure to him.

The memoir was easy to follow. Once the introductory piece set up his move to Paris, we are taken back to Simon’s childhood, teen years and early adult life. There are no distracting spelling or grammatical errors either.

As one can imagine, Paris nightlife can be “colourful” and Simon’s varied
Marika Charalambous
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Paris Nights is the hero’s journey of a rebellious young man, Cliff Simon, who decided to move for a year to Paris and become a dancer at the famous Moulin Rouge cabaret.

Full review for this fun memoir: http://bit.ly/2wywbeI
Alyssa
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that I knew nothing about Cliff Simon when I picked up this book, but I quite enjoy memoirs, and I'd never read about a dancer from the Moulin Rouge before. I didn't actually look him up until after I'd finished the book, and now I realize I'd seen him in a couple of Stargate eps. Very cool, and I'd had no idea he'd been a dancer.

His time in Paris was somewhat predictable in that he slept and partied his way through his year of dancing, but somehow I would expect no less from someon
Sandie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
The Moulin Rouge. Just the name of this famous Paris nightclub generates excitement and curiosity about what goes on behind the scenes of the exciting stage shows put on there. Over the years, many famous entertainers such as Edith Piaf, Frank Sinatra, Maurine Chevalier and Billie Holliday have headlined there. Now readers can get a first-hand account from a man who spent a year dancing there.

Cliff Simon was born to a wealthy Jewish family in South Africa. His family immigrated to England when h
Charlie Elliott
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know who Cliff Simon was when I picked up the book--and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be about dancing or something, but Simon has lead an interesting life from his days in South Africa to being a TV star today. Great read and story.
Misa Buckley
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I preordered Paris Nights as soon as it was possible to do so, but patience is not a strong suit, so when Cliff announced that the audio was available - and narrated by himself - I went ahead and bought it.

Less than three minutes in, I found myself moved by his prose. Dear heaven but the man can write. He has a rather poetic soul, and it comes out time and again in glorious descriptions. The hardback has photographs. I didn't need them, because he paints such a portrait of Paris and of his homet
Deborah Dambra
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started to read this book, I thought I was reading Mr. Simon's daily diary, but as I continued to read, I realized that he is a very descriptive story teller. His book is a love letter to Paris, as well as, a love letter to the Moulin Rouge and his girlfriend who became his wife. Mr. Simon lives a passionate life, as reflected in this book, full of life and the excitement of performing at the Moulin Rouge. I applaud this book as one man's journey into life in the "city of lights." O ...more
Valerie
This book is written by Cliff Simon who was born in South Africa. More information can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_S... Not only do we get some insight about Cliff’s early life in South Africa in this book, we also get to hear about his experiences and his love for dancing at the Moulin Rouge in France. While doing so, we hear about his love for the city and love for the work he is doing. Ultimately though it is the love of a woman who settles Cliff down and their story. I ...more
Brittney Carmichael
I really enjoyed this book
Kelly Miotti
An entertaining and magically story about a cabaret dancers year at the Moulin Rouge! Recommended summer reading!
DALLAS MARSHALL
Daisy Blue
book signing coming up 1 1 Jan 29, 2017 03:19PM
  • World Building Guide & Workbook
  • Coloring Inside the Dreams: Coloring Pages and Haiku
  • NaNo What Now? Finding your editing process, revising your NaNoWriMo book and building a writing career through publishing and beyond
  • You Should Write A Book! True Tales of An Unstable Life
  • Grunge: Seattle
  • Daily Balance Journal: 3 Year Daily Journal for Life Balance and Self-Connection
  • The Little Pleasures of Paris
  • Tar Heart (New Hampshire Mystery, #3)
  • Baro Xaimos: A Novel of the Gypsy Holocaust
  • Operation Happiness: The 3-Step Plan to Creating a Life of Lasting Joy, Abundant Energy, and Radical Bliss
  • Lucie Aubrac: The French Resistance Heroine Who Outwitted the Gestapo
  • The God Notion: A Non-Religious Guide to Believing in God
  • Oh, Florida!: How America's Weirdest State Influences the Rest of the Country
  • The Classical World: The Foundations of the West and the Enduring Legacy of Antiquity
  • Bus Stop: A Memoir
  • Prompt Me Novel: Fiction Writing Workbook & Journal
  • The Hospital Always Wins: A Memoir
  • The Perfect Horse: the Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis