Start by marking “His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)” as Want to Read:
His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)

His Captive Lady

(Devil Riders #2)

No one can resist the Devil Riders: four war heroes in search of one good woman.

Harry Morant's tough exterior hides a badly scarred heart. The natural son of an earl, high-born ladies have only one use for him—in the bedchamber. Now, after eight years at war, Harry is breeding racehorses and planning a practical, unemotional marriage. But when he buys a new estate, his
Mass Market Paperback, 323 pages
Published September 2nd 2008 by Berkley Sensation (first published 2008)

Start your review of His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
Julie (jjmachshev)
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

I can’t imagine the heartbreak of losing a child. Maybe it would be more accurate to say I don’t even want to try because it would be too painful. If there could be degrees of such pain, would it be ‘more so’ if the child were taken and disappeared? I’m not about to debate this subject, but this very moving book made me think about what I would do, and what I would be willing to do, if such a horrendous thing happened. Even so, I loved every
Dina
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Dina by: KarenH
This was a very uneven read to me. What I liked, I loved; what I disliked, I loathed. All things considered, 3 stars is what I came up with in the end.

I adored Harry and Nell. He was a great hero: sweet, understanding, helpful, protective and, yes, passionate. His feelings for Nell never wavered through the story, not even when she revealed her "sordid" past to him. On her part, she was a great heroine too but I admit it took me some time to believe that she she wasn't with Harry only out of
♡Karlyn P♡
Wonderful! My first by Anne Gracie, and I'll read more. I couldn't put this one down. (Seriously, I left work early and cancelled a dinner plan to finish this one.) I can't believe I haven't read this author before as her writing style is awesome. This story is an emotional story with both sad and happy tears, so beware. Fans of historical regency romances will love this one as it goes for the heart.
Jo
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gr2016

Harry Morant is the bastard son of an earl and a maidservant. When it comes to the high-born ladies, he learned his lesson very young – they might want him in their beds, but that is all. After eight years at war, he has bought an estate on which he plans to breed racehorses. He has also asked his aunt for her help in procuring a suitable wife, one that is definitely not a high-born. But then he comes across Nell, and the instant fascination and attraction he feels for her threatens to derail

Jacob Proffitt
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
This was reassuring after the huge let-down of the first book. It was actually better than my rating is going to reflect as there's a substantial personal element to the rating.

The main protagonists are enjoyable and engaging. Harry seems like he'd be all alpha, but he turns out way more caring than you'd expect, and does so right from the start. Indeed, he's a joy to be with and even his inner turmoil and insecurities come from a care and concern for others that I found touching.

Nell is nearly
Zumbagirl
*****************A MILLION STARS*****************************
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! It wins all my favorite shelves and pushed all my happy buttons. Started this at night - big mistake - got up and read some more, couldn't think of anything else all day - and had to finish it or I'd go crazy. Having read a few of Anne Gracie's books before - all of which I enjoyed, but not with the same addictive quality as this - I was not prepared to be totally blown away.

This shouldn't be a surprise and maybe
Meredith
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Let me first say this: I love romance novels. I scour bargain book shelves for them; they are the only reason I frequent yard sales or library bookstores. I am of a mind that plots can be simple and romance can be fantastic. They are my not-so-guilty pleasure.

This book, however, was just awful. For many reasons. First, because it tricked me into thinking that it was going to be a good book. When Nell and Harry first meet, in the rain on the road, and he gives her his hat- I was had. I was
Olga Godim
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
In this regency romance, Harry is a bastard son of an earl. He served in the Wellington army for eight years, but now the war is finally over. Having inherited some money from his late great-aunt, Harry buys the estate of Firmin Court, where he plans to breed racing horses. He also asks his aunt to find him a practical, middle-class bride. He doesn’t want love. He wants stability.
Lady Helen, Nell to her friends, grew up at Firmin Court, but her late father lost it and everything else in
Jacqueline J
Reread. Liked it just as well the second time. I liked this. The first half was a bit better than the back half but it wasn't terribly noticable. I liked the way that the characters did not keep secrets from each other. And the secret the heroine had was a doozy. It's nice to see an author take that scenario of the woman having an illegitimate child and make it not the big secret. The hero was quite heroic here, marrying her anyway and helping her look for the child who had been stolen away. I ...more
Atunah
Oh my goodness. Bring the hankies for this one. When I thought I didn't have anymore tears left, Mrs. Gracie squeezes out some more.
I don't even know what to say about this one. I didn't totally love the first in this series, but this hits all the spots. It's the second one in series. One heart wrenching scene was just so painful. There are many heart wrenching moments here.

Anne Gracie is one of those authors that when she is on, she is on. And she can get all the emotions out of me. Some of
BJ Rose
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-regency
This book is what The Stolen Princess could/should have been - strong heroine with recent horror in her life but getting up each day and dealing with it every way she can; strong hero who had a more-than-miserable childhood but is still a good man, and a storyline that makes the most of these two great people. This is a beautifully written, tender love story of two people who have been starved for love and affection.
Katie(babs)
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Anne Gracie’s His Captive Lady was such a wonderful read! I adore all of Anne’s books and she is one of my favorite historical romance authors. Her latest may not have an invisible women running around causing problems, but there is a young woman who must find her missing baby stolen by her father. Helen Freymore reminded me so much of Tess Durbeyfield from the Thomas Hardy classic, Tess of the D’Urbervilles. Poor Helen has been through so much. Not only was she raped by a former associate of ...more
Andrea
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'd never have thought that a novel focused on a heroine who has been raped and is searching for her lost baby daughter could be so airy and enchanting. It is that--and more.

The hero, Harry Morant, is just the right blend of commanding alpha male and kind-hearted beta. I just adored him. Even though I cringed at some of his clueless moves, his heart is so full of goodwill that I cheered him on anyway. His unfortunate romantic history and his "bastard" status made me root for him all the more.

Eleni Konstantine
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rwaus, own-a-copy, 2011
Loved it and loved the characters. Especially loved the banter between the Devil Riders and Harry and his Aunt.
Lyssa
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i am addicted to this authors romance novels. This story contains all the right elements for a highly entertaining read.
Chumchum_88
Is it a surprise that I still keep on saying the same thing?...No, so of course I'm gonna say I loved it.

Harry was an amazing hero, with all his cute persistence toward Nell, how he accepted everything about her, how he felt broken every time he say her hurting, simply he was great in every aspect.

Nell was a cute heroin in her small way, most of the story she was grieving, worried and scared. but she had her cute moments as well, like when she arrived at the doorstep of Harry's aunt house and
MB (What she read)
This was a very enjoyable romance! I liked how mutual respect turned to caring then turned to love. This is the best hero character I've come across for some time.

I am finding that Anne Gracie is rather a stealth author for me. She slips under the radar and is not as well-known and appreciated as she should be. Her books are emotionally deep and her characterizations are charming. I would compare them to Mary Balogh or Julia Quinn. If you like those authors, you should give her books a try.
Novia Liu
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh my,
World need more gentleman like Harry Morant
Harry Morant will makes you can't help but falling in love with him
His personality, his kindness..
oh my oh my I'm melting..

and Aunty Maude..
love this old-funny-smart-kind heart granny..

and the heroine Nell
I like the way she protected Harry
but I don't like her when she turned into selfish woman don't care about anything except her lost baby..
and she don't notice but she hurt Harry's heart..

the story is good
even in the middle made me little bored
Nicqui
Much stronger story than The Stolen Princess. The main characters are compelling and Gracie has a way of writing supporting characters that just pulls you in and makes the story rich.
Maria
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading Annie Gracie since I stumbled across one of her books years ago while looking for a new author to read. She has a way of making you ache for her characters and their predicaments. So far this Devil Rider series has been particularly good. I'm looking forward to the next and hope it will be about Rafe.
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Shelves: romance
Janga
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from one of my favorite authors! A heroine who combines strength and vulnerability, a hero who is more than another carbon copy of the Alpha male, unforgettable secondary characters, and Gracie's trademark blend of humor and pathos make this one of her best.
Jen
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Couldn't stop reading it.
Danker
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liz
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
The actual propelling plot of this I didn’t care for. It was equal parts predictable and beyond belief for me. The subplot with Ethan and Tibby didn’t have any interest either.

I did really enjoy the chemistry between Harry and Nell (even if it was a bit instalovey) and the respect he had for her. Especially given her past experiences, I thought that was handled really well.

And I liked that there wasn’t any real hiding of issues from one another. The conflict could have easily been the truth
MaeLyne Book~ 마애린 책
Mercy
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love Anne Gracie's writing! She has great situations and great dialogs! The characters in this book are wonderful. What a great H Harry is! Nell is also a very compelling h. Great book!
Phylisha Stone
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loking forward to reading the other books in this series and other books by this writer. A thoroughly enjoyable read!
Corrine
3.5 stars. A very inoffensive but not terribly moving book
Kate
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • My Own True Duchess (True Gentlemen #5)
  • The Last Chance Christmas Ball
  • His Lordship's True Lady (True Gentlemen, #4)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • The Ungrateful Governess
  • A Lady of True Distinction (True Gentlemen #7)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • Wed By Proxy (Brides of Karadok #1)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • Miss Benwick Reforms a Rogue
  • Married to the Rake (The Wallflower Brides Book 1)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich

Devil Riders (5 books)
  • The Stolen Princess (Devil Riders, #1)
  • To Catch a Bride (Devil Riders, #3)
  • The Accidental Wedding (Devil Riders, #4)
  • Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)