Start by marking “The Case of the Curious Client (Bow Street Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Curious Client (Bow Street Society, #1)

Read Book

The Case of the Curious Client

(Bow Street Society #1)

WINNER OF FRESH LIFESTYLE MAGAZINE BOOK AWARD APRIL 2017

The Bow Street Society is a fictional group of amateur detectives operating in London in 1896. Each of its civilian members has been enlisted for their unique skill or exceptional knowledge in a particular field. This ensures the Society may work to solve cases on the behalf of their clients regardless of their client
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 346 pages
Published June 30th 2016 by T.G. Campbell

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Curious Client, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Curious Client

M.P. Peacock
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a thoroughly enjoyable and quirky read with a colourful cast of larger-than-life characters and an intricate and absorbing plot. The author has clearly done a huge amount of research which is put to good use in the descriptions of people and places in Victorian London. Looking forward to meeting the Bow Street Society members again and following their exploits in the next book.
John Bainbridge
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
T.G. Campbell has come up with a refreshingly original premise in her first murder mystery featuring the ‘Bow Street Society.’ Set in 1890s London, its members are a secret group who pool their varied talents to solve crimes where the police cannot help. In ‘The Case of the Curious Client’ it’s fun to spot the nods to Conan Doyle. This is an intriguing puzzle, untangling the clever plot with its multiple twists would have appealed to Sherlock Holmes.
The setting of Victorian London is lovingly e
Kaz
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the setting and the characterisation, finding it easy to visualise what was going on in the scenes. The plot is solid and interesting. Any who enjoy crime and/or the Victorian setting should give it a read.
Edward Turbeville
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating detail, highly evocative of the historic period. The Case of the Curious Client has a rich plot and characters, and is a good choice for those who like British crime fiction and novels set in Victorian times.

There are many interesting historic snippets, for example about hansom and hackney cabs. The author clearly knows her era very well! I loved the name of the fictitious publication, the "Gaslight Gazette". I look forward to future instalments of the Bow Street Society.
Andrew
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book because I met the author at a writing group.
I have to say firstly that this is not a genre that I usually enjoy, so the fact that, once I got into it, I finished it relatively quickly, is testament to how well written it was and how engaging the characters are.
It did take a little while to get used to who was who, there are quite a few characters introduced at the outset. I like the idea that there are different people working within the Bow Street Society and that not everyon
Ann
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Bow Street Society is a fictional group of amateur detectives in London in 1896. Each of its members has been enlisted for their unique skill or exceptional knowledge in a particular field. The Society consists of an artist, a magician, an architect, a journalist and a veterinary surgeon.

The Bow Street Society is hired by Mr Thaddeus Dorsey, a man prone to fits of complete blindness, to locate a missing friend he knows only as ‘Palmer’ after he fails to keep his regular nightly visit with hi
Nancy Vanstone
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The plotline in this book by T.G. Campbell is clear and to the point. I especially enjoyed the preface and the ending. It has the rigth no. of pages to make a fantastic read!!
Catherine
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More, please

This is a good story if a bit convoluted. I would like to follow the characters ' development. So I will be on the lookout for the rest of the series.
Kim
Mar 21, 2017
T.G. Campbell
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Em
Barbara
May 01, 2017
Dane
May 01, 2017
Tahnee Georgina Campbell wrote her first crime fiction story at the age of sixteen as a gift for her best friend. At only 40 pages long it fell considerably short of a “novel” but it marked the beginning of a creative journey that would eventually spawn the first of the Bow Street Society mystery novels; The Case of the Curious Client. During that time she attended the University of Winchester whe ...more

Bow Street Society (3 books)
  • The Case of the Lonesome Lushington (Bow Street Society #2)
  • The Case of The Spectral Shot (A Bow Street Society Mystery, #3)
“I hope whomever Miss Trent is sending arrives soon.” Mr Maxwell shivered and wrapped his arms about himself. “Who does she usually send to these initial client meetings?”
“I really couldn’t say,” [Miss Dexter] replied, honestly. “Miss Trent sends whomever she feels would be most appropriate.”
0 likes
“Mr Locke...took a long, slender pick from the unrolled bag and, bending over slightly, inserted it into the lock. It was a steel-cased lock with a smooth, brass knob of around three inches wide and a brass plate around the singular keyhole. Mounted into the door frame was another steel fixture, forming the second half of the lock. Recognising the type of lock, Percy knew the key’s function was to throw the lock’s bolt into dead lock, thus securing the door. Such a design would also include an internal, smaller knob sliding back and forth, drawing back the bolt. A snib, jutting out from the case on the internal side of the door, could be compressed to keep the bolt in an open position, thus allowing one to open and close the door freely. “Do be so kind as to keep an eye out for the return of our friend the constable.” Locke pulled his pocket watch out with his other hand to glance upon it. “We have nine minutes.”
“This is breaking and entering!” Mr Maxwell cried, hurrying up the steps. “Miss Trent said such was forbidden by the Society.”
“Unless there is a sufficiently justifiable reason for doing so,” Mr Locke replied, inserting a second pick into the lower half of the lock. “The welfare of our client is a sufficiently justifiable reason; do you not think so, Mr Maxwell?”
“His welfare?” Mr Maxwell enquired, confused.
Miss Dexter, wholly fascinated by what the illusionist was doing, stepped closer still. She softly enquired, “Do you suspect some harm may have come to Mr Dorsey, Mr Locke?”
“I do not know but Mr Colby was very keen we should not speak with him. Furthermore, Miss Trent’s note stated her telephone conversation with Mr Dorsey was abruptly ended, by him, when another—angry—voice spoke,” Mr Locke explained. There was a sharp click as the bolt sprang back into the lock’s casing. Mr Locke smiled broadly.
“Our constable friend is back.” Mr Maxwell looked panic sticken. “It’s only been a minute.”
“Ah, that will be the Bow Street police station,” Locke replied as he turned the door knob. “Also, they tend to keep a closer eye upon the more affluent residences; greater targets for thieves, you know,” Mr Locke stated as he pushed the door open and ushered both Mr Maxwell and Miss Dexter inside. He’d just closed the door, after slipping in himself, when the constable reached the bottom of the steps and peered up at the porch. Mr Locke stood to the side of the door and watched as the constable, seemingly satisfied all was well, walked away. A glance down at the internal part of the lock confirmed Mr Locke’s earlier assumptions about it. His slender hand slid the smaller brass knob along to lock the bolt in place once more.”
0 likes