Start by marking “Precious and Grace (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)” as Want to Read:
Precious and Grace (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)

Precious and Grace

(No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #17)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  8,766 ratings  ·  1,237 reviews
Precious and Grace
Published September 1st 2016 by Little, Brown

To ask other readers questions about Precious and Grace, please sign up.
Ili Pika I'm also finding Mma Makutsi increasingly irritating. And I agree with others here who have suggested that she provides contrast to Mma Ramotswe's…moreI'm also finding Mma Makutsi increasingly irritating. And I agree with others here who have suggested that she provides contrast to Mma Ramotswe's kindness. The two are the perfect example of "confidence is quiet and insecurity is loud."

I actually found myself feeling sorry for Grace in this book. She has found so much good fortune with her new husband and baby, and certainly has moved up in the agency, even if it has been mainly self promotion. But she still has not, within herself, recognized her own worth and so continues to push for ever greater accolades and "respect" from others. True self esteem is always an inside job.

I hope that in a future book she can finally come to appreciate herself. Even Charlie seems to be maturing faster than she is.(less)

·  8,766 ratings  ·  1,237 reviews

Phrynne
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love spending my reading time with Precious Ramotswe and Grace Makutsi, both of them delightful, intelligent women who are very faithful to their much loved home of Botswana.
In this, the 17th episode of the series, our two redoubtable main characters come as close as they ever have to a major falling out. They deal with several cases involving pyramid selling, drug smuggling, lost dogs and a lost past and of course everything works out in the end (although not always to their total satisfactio
David Stone
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Review by Violet Sephotho, Nominee for Botswana's Woman of the Year

This is Rra Alexander's 17th book about me even though I look younger than I did all those years ago at the Botswana Secretarial College, where I made my first big splash in the business world. I make an appearance in the very first chapter of Precious and Grace because, let's face it, there's nothing very precious or graceful about those two! Boring, big time! It's Violet Sephotho people want to read about!

You see, I have be
Susan Johnson
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed when I finished this book. It wasn't disappointment in the book but the fact that it was over. I miss the characters already. I think I would rather spend time with Precious than anyone else. She is truly happy in her life and feels blessed every day. I would just love it if she dropped over for some read bush tea. It would make my day.

This one is about a young woman from Canada who comes back to Botswana where she grew up. There's a stray dog and a powerful theme of forg
Barbara

In this 17th book in the 'No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' series, Mma Ramotswe has her hands full with three cases. The book can be read as a standalone but it's more fun to follow the characters' arcs through the series.

Mma Ramotswe (right) and Mma Makutski (from the television series)

*****

The newest client of the "The Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" is Susan Peters, a Canadian woman who was born and raised in Botswana.

Susan is nostalgic for her early life in the beautiful African country
L.A. Starks
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the pace of this novel is languorous, its theme of forgiveness is one of the most deeply moving in the series.

(And any book with a stray dog is a sure winner. Precious and Grace is no exception to the meme.)

As always, Smith handles characterizations with beguiling economy--a lifted eyebrow here, an almost-suppressed thought there, yet the reader turns the page and much has happened.

In particular, note how Precious understands, accommodates, and reacts to the Grace's occasional roughness.

A
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 17th installment in the long running series about Precious Ramotswe and her No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency in Botswana. Whenever I start one of these books, the sensation is reminiscent of easing myself into a warm and relaxing bath. Life slows down and my mind turns to idly contemplating subjects as random as whether dogs have souls or the curative power of a cup of tea.

The main storyline in Precious and Grace concerns a Canadian woman who spent some of her childhood in Botswana and
***Third Read***

When I will I stop reading the Mma Ramotswe series by Alexander McCall Smith? Perhaps after the 2020 election? After the White House has been sterilized and fumigated? Maybe. Until then, these books lift my spirits when it all just seems too surreal.

These books are kindness, laughter, decency, integrity, and too many other good words for me to list. And Lisette Lecat truly deserves the equivalent of an Oscar for her audiobook performances straight across the series. She makes AM
Diane Barnes
The 17th installment is much like the first sixteen, but this series still seems fresh to me. Not much to the mystery, as always, but I read them for the ongoing stories of Mma Ramotswe and Grace Makutsi, their families and co-workers, and the people of Botswana.
Marianne
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Precious and Grace is the seventeenth full length novel in the popular No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Scottish author, Alexander McCall Smith. With Grace Makutsi’s status in the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency elevated and Precious Ramotswe no longer being her boss, as such, Mma Ramotswe finds her considerable skills of diplomacy and tact are more often required in their case discussions and client meetings.

This is indeed so when a client who has travelled from Canada presents with a somew
Una Tiers
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's nice to sit under a tree and drink tea with this pair of ladies.
Jeanette
This feel good series is just too repetitious for me. The character development is such that I can understand the appeal to a majority female audience. I've read about half of them and I'm sure that's my quota completed now. I take no sugar or artificial sweetener in coffee, tea or in detective series. In this one the dog story was more resolved and for me more interesting. Most of the investigation is more about prime character interaction and conversation than it is about centering any plot. B ...more
Sep
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lost dog, Mr. Polopetsi caught in a pyramid scheme, and a Canadian woman trying to recover a lost childhood but these are just the problems. The real theme is forgiveness, kindness, and contentment.
Em*bedded-in-books*
17th book in the series of No.1 Ladies Detective Agency.
This is my comfort read series.
Mma Precious Ramotswy and Mma. Grace Makutsi and their underlings act as quick pick me up whenever I find life tough or depressing.
Have read the initial few books in the series in order .. after thst j7mped on to this one as I manages to buy it first hand from a flipkart sale for nearly one third the price.
And I love reading paperbacks.

The cover art is beautiful, and intermittently j would stop reading to
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody, of course!
In this, the 17th book in a series that began with The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Botswana’s sole detective, Precious Ramotswe, is faced with two difficult assignments: to hunt down the African nursemaid of a white woman who was born in Botswana but returned to Canada with her Canadian aid worker parents as a young child, and to get to the bottom of an apparent Ponzi scheme which has ensnared the hard-working but naïve Mr. Polopetsi, high-school chemistry teacher and part-time employee at t ...more
Rita
Disappointed

I have been with this series from the very beginning and it has always been a go to series when I needed something that would make the world seem to be a better place. I didn't have that feeling when I finished "Precious and Grace. I felt disappointed.
Alexander McCall Smith writes so many series that he is entitled to not be up to par all the time. The #1 Ladies Detective Agency has been a long series so it is entitled to have one book not be as good as all the others.
"Precious and G
Marianne
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Precious and Grace is the seventeenth full length novel in the popular No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Scottish author, Alexander McCall Smith. This audio version is narrated by the wonderfully listenable Adjoa Andoh. With Grace Makutsi’s status in the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency elevated and Precious Ramotswe no longer being her boss, as such, Mma Ramotswe finds her considerable skills of diplomacy and tact are more often required in their case discussions and client meetings.

This is i
Jean
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book seventeen in the “Number One Ladies Detective Agency” Series. This book meanders around a number of various unrelated problems for Precious Ramotswe.

We have the return of some prior characters such a Ra Polopetsi who use to help out occasionally at the agency. Mma Ramotswe thinks he has gotten himself involved in a pyramid investment scheme. A new character is introduced, he is Fanwell, an assistant mechanic at the Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors. Fanwell ran over a dog and now it keeps
Ariel
If it is October than that means a trip to Botswana to visit with my favorite literary character Precious Ramotswe and all of her friends and family. At the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Mma Ramotswe is presented with a client from Canada who who would like assistance in reconnecting with her childhood Botswana roots. Also keeping Mma Ramotswe busy is a stray dog longing for the right home and Ra Polopetsi who has become entangled with the Bernie Madoff of Botswana. With the aid of lots of Bush ...more
Adrienne
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some books (like Nero Wolfe books or Jeeves & Wooster books) wherein the plot is completely incidental and is merely an excuse to check in with old friends. All of AMS's books are like this and he has populated my world with delightful people for many years. Happy to spend some time with the completely lovely Precious Ramotswe. May we all be so generous of spirit as she.
Linda Munro
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My first experience with the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, was when it became a book club pick. I have to admit, this is not something I would have chosen on my own, it is nothing at all like the books I normally choose. However, there is something about this series that made me want to read more. I cannot name the something; but, these books give me great satisfaction.

Precious and Grace are asked to find a woman who acted as a caretaker for a young girl while her parents worked in Bots
Mal Warwick
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Precious Ramotswe is a “traditionally built” woman who founded and runs the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. She is known throughout Botswana’s capital, Gaborone, for her wisdom and her street smarts. She is also reflective, unfailingly kind, truthful, and patient to an almost superhuman degree. She would have to be to put up with her rude and self-centered assistant, Grace Makutsi.

A charming series of novels

The relationship between the two women is the principal theme of Precious and Grace, the l
Susan
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having read all of the #1 Detective Agency books, I have finally realized that the reason I haven't enjoyed the last few as much is that I really don't like Mma Makutsi at all! Rude, sneaky, pushy, know-it-all, and generally obnoxious - Mma Ramotswe is an angel to put up with her to the extent she does. Nevertheless, there was enough going on in the book to keep me going to the end - the Canadian client wants to recover her past (or does she?), the lonely dog keeps coming back, Mr. Polopet ...more
The Library Lady
There have been moments in recent books when I feel that McCall Smith is beginning to run out of gas with this series, but this one works really well. I'm not sure about the title though, because it really makes it seem as if there is something in particular going on with Mmas Ramotswe and Makutsi, and there isn't anything new or unusual here. Just another solid No.1 Ladies volume.
Lori Rader-Day
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Comfort reading at is finest. I got this book SIGNED.
Chrissa Kuntz
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is it possible that when I read Mr. Smith's books my breathing slows? My head becomes clearer? My heart becomes happier? I LOVE THIS SERIES. I love Precious and the rest of the characters and Botswana.
Dorothy
Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed by the rudeness, unthinking and unthinkable cruelties, and selfishness of the world that we live in, I like to take a break from it all by visiting Botswana. There, I can sit in the shade of a tree and drink red bush tea with Precious Ramotswe and Grace Makutsi and listen to Precious expound on her philosophy of life and her view of what is important. For example, there is her rumination about the past:
There were too many people who took the view that the past wa
Karen Germain
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently, I had the pleasure of meeting Alexander McCall Smith at Powell's Books in Beaverton, Oregon. Smith is one of my favorite authors, and I was absolutely thrilled to meet the creator of Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi.

Smith spoke for approximately thirty minute and left about thirty minutes for an audience Q & A. One of the more interesting things that he spoke about, was the television adaptation of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. He was asked if Jill Scott was what he imagined for
Karin

How lovely to be back in the company of Precious, Grace and the rest of the regular characters. This one was a full 4 stars, no rounding up, no audio required. You might think that by book 17 it would be stale, but this series is really McCall Smith at some of his best (I haven't been equally thrilled with all of his series or books).

MMa Makutsi (Grace) is trying to help Mma Ramotswe (Precious) up to date on the latest and most efficient office methods when Fanwell brings a dog to work
Kathleen
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, series, fiction
These are the most charming books... like balm for the soul. In a world that's becoming increasingly cold and unfriendly, it's so nice to immerse oneself in the world of Mma Ramotswe.
Irene
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving it so far as usual :)

Didn't disappoint either! Can't wait to see The Seretse Khama true story.

• Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing (Vish Puri, #2)
  • A Guide to the Birds of East Africa (Mr Malik #1)
  • City of Ink (Li Du Novels #3)
  • Death of a Nurse (Hamish Macbeth, #31)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8)
  • Looking for Lovedu: A Woman's Journey Through Africa
  • Scents and Sensibility (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #8)
  • The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown (Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation #2)
  • Without Consent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #2)
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • The Hours Before Dawn
  • Ah But Your Land Is Beautiful
  • A Change of Tongue
Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the international phenomenon The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie Series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, and the 44 Scotland Street series. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. He was born in what ...more

No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1)
  • Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #2)
  • Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #3)
  • The Kalahari Typing School for Men
  • The Full Cupboard of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #05)
  • In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
  • Blue Shoes and Happiness
  • The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
  • The Miracle at Speedy Motors
  • Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #10)
“[...]perhaps the secret of leading a life in which you would not always be worrying about things, or complaining about them, was to accept that there were people who just saw things differently from you and always would. Once you understood that, then you could accept the people themselves as they were and not try to change them. What was even more important, perhaps, was that you could love those people who looked at things so differently, because you realised that they were not trying to make life hard for you by being what they were, but were simply doing their best. Then, when you started to love them, love would do the work that it always did and it would begin to transform them and then they would end up seeing things in the same way that you did.” 6 likes
“And yet,’ he went on, ‘who talks about forgiveness these days, other than the people who come to this place, or to places like this? What politician, what public person, do we hear standing up and saying that we must forgive? The message we are more likely to hear is one of blame, of how this person or that person must be held to account for something bad that has happened. It is a message of retribution – that is all it is – a message of pure retribution, sometimes dressed up in concern about victims and public safety and matters of that sort. But if you do not forgive, and you think all the time about getting even, or punishing somebody who has done you a wrong, what are you achieving? You are not going to make that person better by hating or punishing him; oh no, that will not happen. When we punish somebody, we are often just punishing ourselves, you know. If people lock others away, they are simply increasing the amount of suffering there is in the world; they may think they are diminishing it, but they are not. They are adding to the burden that suffering creates. Of course, sometimes you have no alternative but to do it – people must be protected from harm – but you should always remember that there are other ways of changing a man’s ways. ‘My brothers and sisters: do not be afraid to profess forgiveness. Do not be afraid to tell people who urge you to seek retribution or revenge that there is no place for any of that in your heart. Do not be embarrassed to say that you believe in love, and that you believe that water can wash away the sins of the world, and that you are prepared to put this message of forgiveness right at the heart of your world. My brothers and sisters, do not be afraid to say any of this, even if people laugh at you, or say that you are old-fashioned, or foolish, or that you believe things that cannot be believed. Do not worry about any of that – because love and forgiveness are more powerful than any of those cynical, mocking words and will always be so. Always.” 5 likes