Start by marking “Resisting the Rebel” as Want to Read:
Resisting the Rebel

Resisting the Rebel

Disclaimer: This book contains a villain pretending to be a hero, a hero pretending to be a villain, a disco-dancing heroine, two overprotective sidekicks, a little bit of bad language, and a whole lot of swoony kissing.

Spirit committee leader Mandy Pennington is secretly in love with her best friend, Gus, but when he hooks up with her archenemy at a party, she decides to
Published July 25th 2016 by Entangled: Crush

To ask other readers questions about Resisting the Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resisting the Rebel

Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
3 stars!

Review at Of Pens and Pages

I've got a stalker ex I need to get off my case... You've got a dork you're trying to seduce. It's a win-win."

Mandy Pennington and Caleb Torrs didn't run in the same circle, yet they bumped into each other at a party when Mandy was looking for her childhood crush, Gus. Their meeting was not even close to lovely, and Caleb would rather go home than spend more time with Mandy. Still, he couldn't leave her when a group of stoners were approaching her. He ended
Claire Robinson
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entangled
4 - Let's stop pretending... Stars!

Resisting the Rebel is one of those books that came along just when I needed to read it. Having had a week or two of drama filled angsty reads, it was the perfect, light and easy-to-read, story-line that I needed break things up a bit.

Mandy Pennington and Caleb Torrs are polar opposites when it comes to interests, personalities and their general outlooks on life, but for some reason they get along with each other in ways, which comes as more of a shock to Cal
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Resisting the Rebel was the cutest book ever! I just can't get over how adorable this fake boyfriend story was! I constantly found myself smiling while sighing and laughing out loud. And when you add in banter and angst that was perfectly done, well I couldn't help but go back and re-read a ton of my favorite scenes! I am completely obsessed with this heartfelt story and it's definitely one of my favorite books from this year!
“Y-you’re such a—” He was still holding her hand, though he’d loosen
lucie
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-english, 2016
He was into bad girls, which made sense because he was totally bad boy.

I. Love. This. Book.
Even if it's lame I liked the whole thing about fake relationship, teasing between Mandy and Caleb (who is my new book boyfriend by the way), how he called Mandy with this cute nickname 'Disco', their sharing moment in park and also Mandy's crazy grandma. I also liked how author naturally mentioned difficulties encountered by people with ADHD and learning disabilities.

Although I wouldn't call Caleb ba
KAS
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two polar opposite high school teens, who really dislike each other, decide to "pretend to be date" so she, Mandy, can make a boy jealous, and he, Caleb, can get an ex off his back!

This really was a cute, sweet story. Definitely a YA book, but geared more for teenage readers than most of the YA books I have recently read. I really enjoyed Mandy's, Gran, and wish she had a bigger role in the storyline.

*I received a copy of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*
Kaitlin
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full Review located here: http://kaitbooktopia.blogspot.com/201...

Resisting the Rebel was a fun and cute read that I think anyone who enjoys those types of books will definitely enjoy this one. There are a lot of cliches, so as long as that doesn't bother you, I think you will fall in love with the story. The plot was entertaining, the characters relatable, and the romance absolutely swoon-worthy.
Elaine
This is a great ya romance where pretending to be involved leads to the real thing. Mandy Pennington is a natural leader, involved in all kinds of societies and groups in her school but she also has ADHD and Dysgraphia making written work a real struggle for her. She does have her own posse of friends, especially J.T. and Cammie and they are both brilliant characters, too. When Mandy's crush, Gus, asks invites her to a party she certainly didn't anticipate him deserting her to go with someone wh ...more
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Sorry but no. Nope nope nope.
I might have enjoyed this one if I read it at 13 y/o? Or not?
No time for review, maybe later though I doubt I'll want to come back to this book anytime soon...
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)

This book did not start out well for me, and I almost put it down 10% of the way in. However, once I made it far enough, it picked up enormously, and I found myself enjoying it at the end. I did have to give in a bit to the silliness of some of it, but I do enjoy some silliness from time to time.

If you read my reading updates lower down, you’ll see I was not enj
Romance Readers Retreat
This is a new to me author and after reading the blurb I was super excited to get my hands on this one. This book was hard to read for me. The beginning was slow for me and the characters weren't all that likable or developed in my opinion.  This was an opposite attracts contemporary YA novel and I was just not feeling it.

Mandy has been in love with her best friend Gus for forever and when he asks her to go to a party with him she jumps at the chance. Little does she know that he is only going
Edit~A
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This book contains a villain pretending to be a hero, a hero pretending to be a villain, a disco-dancing heroine, two overprotective sidekicks, a little bit of bad language, and a whole lot of swoon kissing.

First of all love the declaimer, it was not the unoriginal "sweet, cute, blah blah blah", so I got hooke from the first page.

“Sometimes the scariest villains look the most innocent. And heroes don’t always wear white.”

Ok, so I liked both characters and the friends. I like that he wasn't the
April
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really really liked this one! Resisting the Rebel is right up my alley with the brooding bad boy who may not be so bad after all. He likes to keep to himself. I get it... His love for reading only makes him that much more adorable and Mandy needs a serious kick in the butt for not seeing it sooner! Speaking of Mandy I totally loved her hippie vibe and thought it was pretty cool to read about a smart, cool girl, who just so happens to have dysgraphia and ADHD. You don't see that often and I ac ...more
Bette Hansen
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome YA sweet read. The characters of Mandy and Caleb are both incredible and I loved the slow build of their relationship. My only complaint about this book is the cover. Seriously, this needs a leather wearing bad boy on the cover! A minor complaint but still!

Caleb is known as the school bad boy. People didn't mess with him and he was fine with that. Since he prefers fictional characters over actual people being a loner works for him. Mandy on the other hand is on every committee, loves peo
Cheyanne Young
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all, thank you to Entangled Teen and Netgalley for this review copy of RESISTING THE REBEL. I am a big fan of this publisher's Crush imprint and this book just might be my favorite so far.

It's cute, well written, and had me smiling the entire time. I love Mandy's quirks and positive outlook on life, and she was really a great main character who deserved happiness. I'm always a sucker for the fake boyfriend story, and this one was pulled off really well, and had unique turns you didn't
KittyKat
*This book was received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I really loved this book! Although the title sounds really cliche, the author took a new angle on the common trope of the good girl and bad boy. I loved how Mandy wasn't the typical good girl and was a complex character what with her love of the '70s, family situation, ADHD and disgraphia rather than the generic over-achiever and goody-two-shoes. The characters felt genuine and real and the book was set at a good pace, althou
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
This was cuter in some parts than in others, but overall, it was a fun read. I definitely preferred the banter between Disco and the demon when it was just them and no one else was around. ;0) Plus, all of those almost-kisses were pretty dang hot. And the friendships in this book made the story...I might not have liked Mandy at all, if not for them. And while I've always loved the fake boyfriend trope, I might like it even more because of Caleb. =)
Namratha
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit, romance

This book was deliciously cliched and a justified guilty pleasure.
Rê
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
description

4.5 “Disco & Power Rangers” STARS

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Entangled Crush!

You guys, this book! This. Freaking. Hot. YA. Contemporary. Book.

description

Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of the fake boyfriend/girlfriend trope. HUGE FAN. So this book caught my attention pretty quickly. Throw in a rebel, brooding love interest, and you have me begging and going all: *grabby hands* *grabby hands*

This time, the fake relationship felt even better because this two totally had the hots for each other way before
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
***I wanted to thank the publisher/author for approving my request to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

And Full review in my book book blog***

I guess this book is inspired by the characters from the movie, Sky High? Specifically Warren and Layla. I'm not going to lie, I did ship them in the movie.

Actual rating: 4.5/5

The story starts when Mandy (Layla) was ditched by her childhood crush, Gus, in a party. Then she meets Caleb (Warren). He felt bad for her (and he doesn't know why)
G
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lol, swoon, teen
Que fofuraaaaaa!!!

YA sobre namoro fake pra chamar atenção do crush e acaba se tornando real. Aí, pensei: "ué, só 92726616 YA usam esse plot, q q tem demais?"

Bem,tem uma heroína super carismática, q todos adoram, é viciada em tudo q envolve os anos 70, adora dançar disco, recita mantras o tempo todo, acredita karma e tem problemas de aprendizado.

O herói é aquele bad boy de sempre, q se revela legal e cuidadoso com a heroína.

Esse livro é muito legal e me deu borboletas no estômago, coisa não muit
Ayah
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC of Resisting the Rebel from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange with an honest review.

First things first, I am a realist. And I here by declare Lisa Brown Roberts as the Queen of Romance and Comedy.

The charisma that these characters have is amazing. I has a hard time catching my breath from swooning & laughing !

I will admit that at the beginning , I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style. I knew that Lisa can write better than that because I read other works by her. B
Nicole
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ebooks
Resisting the Rebel!!! First things first: I received an ARC of this book from Entangled through NetGalley.
The book comes out july 25th. Check it out if you want something cute and fun.

I loved everything about this book. Except for Gus but every person should hate people like Gus!!!!

The characters were amazing. Mandy. OH MANDY!!! I don't think I have ever read a character like her. She was so full of live and just such a positive person. I want one like her around me all time. She got really f
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Teenage Angst Stars.

Young adult age-range: 13+, parental discretion with a handful of swear words & the dubious actions of one of the characters, but not above the norm of true-to-life situations. Sexual content: kissing.

Lisa Brown Roberts is a new-to-me author, and I look forward to reading more of her works. The writing style flowed fluidly and at a nice pace, with age-appropriate behavior by the characters.

Mandy has
Dísir
Not quite the book for me, sad to say. ‘Resisting the Rebel’ feels too juvenile and too campy - even by Entangled Crush’s standards - and lays the clichés on thick with the brooding bad boy and a flighty, rainbow, navel-gazing girl who are opposites in every way.

It’s probably perfect for teens whose greatest worry is securing a date for the school dance and keeping their grades up amidst the million of social activities they juggle, but this book made it especially hard to connect with any of t
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this story. I wasn't reading much earlier this, but when I really picked it yesterday, I was hooked with Mandy, Caleb, J.T., Cammie, and all the rest of Many's posse....well, except Gus, the creep. I particularly liked the allusions to the Power Rangers, the allusions to books and reading, and the glimpses of Slade and Trina, still taking care of their crazy charges.

Must read, especially if you ever thought that the rebel in Sky High was the better boyfriend.
Eileen
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars!!
Sara
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epub, kindle
Well.... wow! The disclaimer is accurate: Swoony kisses indeed! It was so hot I almost melted there and then. I really enjoyed this book, although the start was a bit weird and slow. And it was also frustrating. Well, actually, mostly Mandy was frustrating. I must say, I didn't like much Caleb and Mandy in the beginning. But they grew on me after a while. Caleb was totally Tall, Dark and Broody, but had also that hidden sweet side of him that he showed only to Mandy or J.T. (Quote: "The crazy pr ...more
Amy Mueller
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely a fluffy read. A fun book though. Read it quickly and easily!
diana
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Oh my gosh! THIS BOOK. Where do I even begin?!

Resisting the Rebel is just one of those books I can't help but love from the very beginning. It was fluffy, swoony and hilarious. How can Lisa Roberts write such an amazing, relatable characters and an adorable romance I have no idea. But damn. This book was just brimming with AWESOMEness.

Mandy (I was never really a fan of her name though. She didn't sound like a Mandy to me for some reason.) was a terrific heroine. You know those people who was jus
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mandy has a hardcore crush on her friend, Gus. They've been friends since young children, and to Mandy, Gus is basically perfect. The only problem is he's dating her archenemy. (Ugh, don't you hate when that happens!) Even worse... after he invites her to a party, she finds them making out in the backyard. Yup, time to bolt! While Mandy's waiting outside for a ride home (and about to be bothered by a group of obnoxious guys) Caleb swoops in (the good Samaritan that he is) and offers her a ride h ...more
  • The Trouble With Dating Sue (Grover Beach Team, #6)
  • Isabella and the Slipper
  • Finding You
  • Accidental Billionaire (Accidental #5)
  • Crazy, Stupid, Fauxmance (Creative HeArts, #3; Mariely and Cabot #1)
  • The Secret Life of a Dream Girl (Creative HeArts, #4; Dahlia and Keegan, #1)
  • Abby and the Cute One (Backstage Pass, #5)
  • Played (Hooked, #2)
  • Anya and the Shy Guy (Backstage Pass #4)
  • Blackmail Boyfriend (Boyfriend Chronicles, #1)
  • Keeping Up Appearances
  • Finding Perfect (Finding Perfect #1)
  • Mia and the Bad Boy (Backstage Pass #2)
  • The Holiday Kiss (Briarwood High Book 4)
  • Confessions of a Teenage Band Geek
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Also Known as Rowan Pohi
  • Vulture's Wake
Lisa Brown Roberts’ award-winning YA romantic comedies have earned praise from Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, and School Library Journal. Her latest book, SPIES, LIES & ALLIES, is a romantic comedy about dads and daughters reconnecting, secret crushes, and unexpected friendships.

Lisa's teenaged self tweezed off all her eyebrows, crashed a car into a tree while trying to impress a guy, and
“Sometimes the scariest villains look the most innocent. And heroes don't always wear white.” 0 likes
“You make it sound like we’re living in a comic book with villains and superheroes.” He slanted him and assessing look. “And sidekicks.”

J.T. grinned. “When you think about it, that’s pretty much what high school is, isn’t it?”
0 likes