Start by marking “How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 House Plants that Purify Your Home or Office” as Want to Read:
How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 House Plants that Purify Your Home or Office

How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 House Plants that Purify Your Home or Office

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  400 ratings  ·  46 reviews
How pure is the air you breathe?Plants are the lungs of the earth: they produce the oxygen that makes life possible, add precious moisture, and filter toxins. Houseplants can perform these essential functions in your home or office with the same efficiency as a rainforest in our biosphere.

In research designed to create a breathable environment for a NASA lunar habitat, not
Published April 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about How to Grow Fresh Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Grow Fresh Air

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 House Plants that Purify Your Home or Office
Debbie
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"How to Grow Fresh Air" is a nonfiction book about plants' ability to remove common office and household toxins from our indoor air. The book had two parts: 31 pages on how plants purify the air and what the research said about which plants are best at removing common air pollutants; and 100 pages with details about the 50 house plants.

The first part discussed indoor air pollution and the health problems caused by it (with a chart showing what sources--like carpeting, paint, and plywood--gave wh
Tinea
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ecology-diy
The premise: Plants have beneficial properties for indoor environments. They circulate and humidify air through transpiration. They add oxygen (and sequester carbon, yay!). Certain plants have sweet bacteria on their roots that sucks air down into the soil and detoxes it of scary chemicals like formaldehyde, toluene, benzene, and ammonia. They release phytochemicals that kill molds and microbes. Awesome!

Now let's write a vacuous picture book that dedicates two thirds of its pages to fairly usele
Bruce
Jul 09, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to improve the air quality of an indoor space
Down-to-earth information, nice colour photos of the plants they list, and from my experience so far (I've tried growing two plants mentioned in the book), nice information about what conditions each plant is suited to.

After reading this book I started recognising quite a few of the plants the book lists in people's gardens.

I also found the description of what the author is doing in his own home inspiring.

I first heard about this book after watching a TED talk video called "How to grow your o
Elise
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
I'm glad that at least 4 of these plants commonly used as houseplants are poisonous (to humans, children, and/or animals). Lovely. I will take one of each.

Also, I kinda want to try Dumb Cane just to test its effects (though I won't because I'm not dumb. hee hee puns :0 )
Ashley
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Experienced Gardners
Shelves: diy-and-green
Just took this book back to the library. Although it was interesting, and well photographed, I wanted it to give me a plan for growing my own little "air purifier." This book would be a handy reference for someone who is already familiar with growing indooor plants, but for someone like me (who is not in anyway a green thumb) the book wasn't very helpful. ...more
Katie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Good beginner guide to indoor plants. I appreciate that he goes through the background of why the book exists and then individually discusses each plant. I would appreciate more detail on each plant (for example, only some entries mention whether a plant is hazardous to pets or people) but it's a good starting point. ...more
Brittney
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Informative on how to obtain a healthier living environment through plants. I enjoyed learning about the various house plants. The first half of the book was a great lead into the information about the top plants that can improve air quality in indoor environments.
Prajakta Wani
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An illustrated guide about the health benefits of houseplants and a list of 50 air purifying plants for your home and office interiors.

Read detailed book review on my blog link below

Amberwench
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, easy to understand advice on growing houseplants. Has detailed pages of the most common plants, with graphs comparing light and moisture requirements, along with a general 'how easy is it to kill this plant' rating for those with only slightly green thumbs. ...more
Julia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really useful book. I used it to pick out about 6 plants to put around my house.
Sarah O'Flaherty
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home
Very helpful book for finding the best plants to create a clean air home.
Marian
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good introductory book for somebody who wants to start with growing house plants with added benefit of picking plants not just for their look but even for their ability to improve indoor air quality.

The only drawback of this book I see in missing info whether and how toxic are these plants. This can be important for somebody with small kids or house animals.
jess
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, growing
OK SO everything in your house / apartment / office off-gases horrible things (including formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene) and since interior air doesn't circulate that well, poisonous air tends to accumulate. Then you breathe it and it can make you sick (headaches, eye pain, cancer, whatever). Plants can purify the air because they are so magical and science is cool. On one hand, I'm not sure if the science behind some of these ideas is totally pure but I do agree with the general th ...more
bartosz
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I was inspired to seek out this book by an infographic I've seen floating around the Internet. How to Grow Fresh Air by B.C. Wolverton is a fine compendium of knowledge about plants and how to use them to purify and humidify the air.

The book is very short and to the point. It starts with a theoretical introduction explaining the problem of indoor air pollution (the SBS - sick building syndrome), how plants act as lungs of the earth and how they can be harnessed to combat SBS.

This is followed by
Jen
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! It is a little on the dry side, but packed with great information. I like the format, first explaining the background behind why indoor air pollution can be an issue and what causes it, then how plants can combat it, and finally devoting a full page to each of the 50 plants they studied that do a good job counteracting the pollutant.

It was a nice surprise to know we already have several of them in our house! None of the real superhero ones in terms of combating pollutants, but still
Faye
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Everyone who picks up this book will want to have plants in their home or office. Great reference for many of the houseplants I already inherited from my mother and mother-in-law, care instructions for 50 plants included. The author worked for NASA in developing interiors for space travelers. Basically, we need plants and since many houseplants are tropical in origin they need us to survive northern climates. Plants take in many pollutants through their leaves transporting them to their root sys ...more
Freyja Quinn
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: air breathers
This book is the best plant book ever. BC Wolverton makes a top 50 "best air quality" list of all the plants he's researched in his years at NASA. The book reads from the best to worst, each plant being judged on the same criteria. At the beginning of the book are a few short chapters with additional information - eg. what plants remove the most formaldehyde (found in garbage bags, carpet, and paper towels). ...more
Cami
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: houseplant owners
This was an interesting take on a houseplant book.
It took various plants, many not usual 'houseplants,' and rated them according to their ability to remove chemical vapors, the ease of growth and maintenance, resistance to insect infestation, and transpiration rate.
The Areca and Lady Palms tied as the top two best over all, while the beautiful Moth Orchid and the cute Kalanchoe received the lowest over-all ratings.
Don't know what any of these plants are? Read the book.
Julie
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-green
addendums needed for this book:
1 "and how to keep your cat from eating them"
2 "what to do if your cat has eaten your Madagascar palm - late night visits to the vet - and notes on prevention"

I had forgotten why I had cut back on house plants, saw this book, read it and got inspired to repopulate my house with greenery. Then I remembered the dark history of Cosmo vs. my plants - the arms race - sharp plants - plants placed high upon pedestals - Cosmo tends to win.
Christina
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wolverton was involved in studies done by NASA to find ways to keep air within a space ship breathable. This book explains how plants can be used to remove toxins from the air. It has a guide that rates plants according to their ability to freshen air, their ease of care, and some other characteristics.

Interesting and well informed. His research is methodical. It did motivate me to populate my house with plants!
boatierra
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my all time favorite books and is one of my favorite books to give as a gift. I've lost count as to how many times I've given this as a gift. I first discovered this book on the bookshelf at a friend's mom's house. I find that it is easy to read and along with wonderful pictures extremely informative. It’s a great gift for any house plant lover or for someone who is just starting their house plant collection. ...more
Nikki
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although this is more of a reference book I wanted to share it on goodreads because I think it's so useful. It discusses houseplants that will filter the air in your home. Our homes are full of lots of chemicals--toxic and otherwise--and specific plants are useful for filtering specific chemicals. This is a wonderful way to "clean up" our homes (and make them look nice too).

BTW, HomeDepot had several of the plants they recommended, at about half the price of my local nursery.
Malina
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
I wish there was more info in the book overall - it gives a good basic intro to the plants and how to care for them, but leaves me still not sure about some things, like hydroplanting, (can't remember the word for soil free water planting with special rocks?) which I had never heard of previously. Good starting point to expanding the TED talk on growing your own fresh air I think. ...more
Ann Kucera
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feng-shui
An excellent reference for indoor plants. How to Grow Fresh Air by Dr. B. C. Wolverton discusses indoor air pollution, how houseplants purify the air and gives a ranking of 50 common houseplants in order of their ability to detoxify air, add humidity, and resistance to disease. The book also gives a fast overveiw of ideal growing conditions.
Art
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. What houseplant pulls what toxins out of the air in your home or office? Answers here.

Seeing this in the book department of Outpost Natural Foods today reminded me of its value. I bought three copies of this book over the years because I lent each copy. Each borrower liked it so much that they kept it.
Michelle
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've taken this one out of the library a few times, too. Nice photos and it itemizes which pollutants different plants are good at eliminating from the air; goes into detail on requirements for growth and care. ...more
susie Marie
Jun 21, 2008 rated it liked it
yes, nasa has trailers where they are trying to figure out which plants won't kill us all when we're hanging out star trek style. if you worry about exposures from your computer this book has several plant recommendations.

bottom line: palms=good air purifiers.
Lara
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
This is such a neat book! I recently became interested in using plant in the home to purify the air and this book was so helpful in providing an education on the topic. The information is informative, yet concise. It also includes a look at 50 individual plants and their performance in the home.
Nezka
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has a great explanation about the top 50 plants that can clean your air; and most of them are easily found at most garden stores ... and usually are easy to care for, except for some having susceptibility to mites.
Kristina
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
The book has good information, but does not discuss toxicity to pets. Organization could have been a bit better.

Basically, I am sticking with whatever plants I can find easily at a garden store or big box home store.

• Big Lies in a Small Town
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Hidden Power of Gayatri Mantra
  • Acid for the Children
  • Flower Fairies Secret World
  • Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution to Staying Healthy, Living Longer & Achieving Your Ideal Weight
  • Rediscovering the Kingdom: Ancient Hope for Our 21st Century World
  • The Ultimate Healing System: The Illustrated Guide to Muscle Testing & Nutrition
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • Zero Debt: The Ultimate Guide to Financial Freedom
  • The Fourth Dimension: Discovering a New World of Answered Prayer - Volume One
  • Watchman Prayer: Keeping the Enemy Out While Protecting Your Family, Home and Community
  • Successful Home Cell Groups