Start by marking “Ice in Sunlight” as Want to Read:
Ice in Sunlight

Ice in Sunlight

“I think I’m supposed to be dead.”

Corwen’s emotions are a frozen wasteland after years of enslavement and abuse. When he’s finally rescued, freedom isn’t enough to thaw the wintry landscape of his heart.

Slowly, his new compatriots teach him that physical intimacy is a sacred gift, that pleasure can be shared without pain. With endless patience, they offer him a different w
Published July 8th 2016 by LoveLight Press

To ask other readers questions about Ice in Sunlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice in Sunlight

Start your review of Ice in Sunlight
Alex
**ARC was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.**

In this story we meet Corwen. A young sexslave in the service of the cruel King Tobias of Genest. Corwens life have been anything but fair and just. All he knows is pain, greed and the strong will to stay alive. When the king is murdered by a people Corwen refers to as "the barbarians" his life takes a whole new course that makes him question everything he thought he knew about life, love and self-respect. These stran
Line
Feb 14, 2019 marked it as probably-not-but-freebie
Freebie at the zon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Ice-Sunlight... ...more
Antoinette
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I really enjoyed this book and found it engaging I would have liked to know more of what happened to Corwen and Eli after they reunited especially once they talked to Livia. I also loved the fact that by the time we actually meet Eli and Livia we already know them. This is one book I would really like to see a sequel to. While reading this book I was thinking wow I don't know if I've every known a character more broken and empty than Corwen. Once I finished I read the notes about the autho ...more
Mariana
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was kindly provided an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
*review to come*
Marion
I was contacted by Julia Leijon's assistant to get a freebie of this book on InstaFreebie, so thank you again for the reading opportunity!

/!\ Trigger warnings for this book /!\: abuse (physical and mental) mention, pedophilia mention, overall retelling of past slavery.

I really did not expect to like this book, which is my own fault. I was definitely prejudiced on that one, and I gotta say I'm glad that it turned out I was wrong.

Ice in Sunlight follows the story of Corwen, a young man of 21 (if I
Dawn Sister
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was offered this book in return for an honest review.

Thank you for the offer. I thoroughly enjoyed this and read it one sitting. Corwin's character had me hooked from the beginning. His quick tongue and wit, his seemingly hopeless situation, the fact that the only thing that actually makes him happy is thinking of how he will die, because he knows, with clear certainty, that he will die. This all combined to make him a very real, very flawed but very likeable character.

Corwin is a slave, a sex
M
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2016
I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This is actually the first time I've ever been offered an ARC, and I think I had a lucky first experience--Ice in Sunlight is fab.

Content notes and warnings: frequent references to rape and coercive violence (the latter appears occasionally on the page); cannibalism; sex work (both voluntary and very involuntary); references to child rape (never appears on the page, but frequently referenced/implied); murder/assassination; somewhat gory viole
Katherine
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received as and ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was a fantastic, if slightly difficult, story to read.

Now, you see difficult and may hesitate to get into this. But it wasn't the writing or the reading that was difficult; no this was very well written and excellently laid out, a story that I devoured in an afternoon. What was difficult was the subject matter. Corwen is a sex slave under a cruel king, kept for the past ten years both as punishment for himself and a hostage for the prince
Emma Jade
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don't be fooled by the sappy book description:
"...freedom isnt enough to thaw the wintery landscape of his heart."
Because this book is actually really good.

It's also very short, around 250 pages in epub form; which was a bit of a shock for me, as i had just finnished a couple of MONSTER books before commencing this one (Lady Midnight, A Little Life: 700+ pages each).
I would of liked a bit more actually.

Corwin is a fairly dimensional character, with just the right blend of sass and self loathi
Rin
4 stars!

I was offered this book in return for an honest review.

Firstly, I would like to say that I was expecting romance front and centre but it wasn't. Nonetheless, the book was more about self discovery and learning and because romance wasn't necessarily the main point, I got to see more of the side characters who were just as complex as Corwen.

Corwen's life was tipped upside down when he is unexpectedly free after the assassination of his king (good riddance) and knowing his fate should he st
Maddie  M1RiH
Reviewed for my honesty.

Well this book is not my normal read at the moment, I was offered to review and I loved the cover plus it reminded me of the guy from Harry Potter but sexier.
So enough of that.......

this book was once of those books you need to sit and take in all the details, from the first page your thrown into a world that just has you hooked to find out the what's, how's, whys and 'boy' do we go on a journey.

Corwin was a character that is unique he's a puzzle in himself he's witty an
Anne Marie Crookes
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My first reaction when I started the book was eww, but that was the first few pages of the story and I quickly got interested in what was happening next.
After his dying mother tries to kill him, because she can’t protect him anymore, Corwen spends the next 10 years as a sex slave to a cruel king. The tale picks up when the king is assassinated and the people who killed him, take Corwen to their own country as a free man.
Corwen doesn’t know how to be free. He can’t find his worth, when the only t
Shaztwirl
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
An Exciting Journey Into Unknown Lands.

What a wonderfully delicious journey the author takes us on, through lands dark and dangerous and led by a tyrannical ruler to its polar opposite where everything is bright and cheerful, just like the king himself.

You learn as you go along, with this book. You won't get a descriptive info dump telling you who's who. What you do get us a fluidly written story, a tangle of webs to be unravelled and a picture painted with words of foreign lands that are broug
BakaRena
Honestly, I've been so confused about the romantic line there – I was sure it would be with Reza in the end, dammit. He was “filling the holes” so nicely there after all… Well, I also suspected Eli and Enver and Amir and Sabriyya and even girls and at some point I thought it would be something polyamorous… I was wrong. Mostly.
All in all, it was a very nice story, maybe a bit too short to fully explain the world and for Corwen’s “progress” to feel less abrupt. Some dialogues felt random and a bi
Helie
Shelves: m-m, series, arc-netgalley
A wonderful setup for a new series. I enjoyed all the characters and the low angst storyline. As other reviews mentioned, the story does end rather abruptly. I am looking forward to seeing what's to come!

This book was kindly provided by the author for an honest review.
Jolene
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. I liked how Corwin used sarcasm to keep people at a distance. Even when everyone else was being kind.

I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Ambre
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Not badly done, but slow to develop

It took me quite a long time to get a feel for where she was going with this.

Basically, Corwin is a slave who became manipulative and angry in his abuse. In her author blurb, she mentions Nicaise from Captive Prince as a model - that's accurate.

But he is rescued by people from a sort of an odd free love society, and the premise is that they help him develop a sense of self and become a more whole person.

The writing isn't terrible, but the development is spo
Mel Ann
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
After living a life with such a harsh beginning Corwen is faced with the challenge of leaving all he knows behind and moving on to Ardvi Aban with his new companions Amir, Mariam and Reza.

In this new place he starts to find new meaning yet he is reluctant to believe that his reality and his future are the same as his beginning.

This story is one of survival and finding oneself. Then being dragged back to face yet another obstacle. Cowen, at his young age of 19 has experienced a life that no chi
John-Torleif  Harris
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking

Ultimately, I enjoyed this book and the journey of healing that Corwen embarked upon. It took me a while to get to that point though. This book largely takes place within Corwen's head; there's not much in the way of action, but everything that does happen leads Corwen to recognize the limits (some self-imposed, and others not) that he has lived within. Once he's recognized that those limits are there, he has to choose whether he wants to remain as he is, or not.

I found this boo
Tammy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
First time reading from the author.
The cover and the description pulled me into wanting to read the story.
But sorry to say the story just didn’t catch my interest. I tried to read it several times, but something was making it hard for me to want to read it.
Corwen’s character wanting to harm the animal, made it that much more not wanting to read it. I got to to about 30 percent and couldn’t push myself anymore to go on. His character didn’t make me connect to him or the story and for some reason
P Leslie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m

This was a really unusual book with quite a distinctive story that has you hooked.

Corwen perceives the world in a very negative way but who could blame him - he spent the last decade of his life as a sex slave. Nothing eventful actually happens but you get a very unique perspective of someone whose seeing the world before him in a completely different light then the one he's lived for so long.

Most of the book was evenly paced except for the ending which felt very rushed.
Pamela aka Scottieluvr
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-stories
MM Romance: 2019 Q3 Read Your TBR Challenge

I cannot stand Corwen; he could invent world peace by the end of this tale and I still could not like him. Corwen’s severe cynicism became irritating and distracting. However that's a good sign the character was tangible to me as a reader. The premise and other characters ere enjoyable; offsetting any animosity I felt towards Corwen.
Simera
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, series, triggers
This is a short intense read. Corwin hasn't known much kindness. He uses snarky replies to keep others away.
I enjoyed how Corwin developed over the story.
I received a copy for an honest review.
Katrina
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good book. Not usually my thing but I did enjoy reading it.
Daniel
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This was very interesting to me and I really wanted more. While Corwen is very depressing I saw quite a bit of myself reflected in him.
Narrelle
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, queer
Antonella
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

Original idea, I liked Corwen's development, the ending was definitely too rushed, but maybe that's because the book was a bit on the short side.
Kristel (hungryandhappy)
*ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review*

The longer it took them, the longer he’d live, and he liked being alive. It was his biggest weakness.

First time receiving an ARC and it was great!! I liked the book just fine but it lacked some elements that made me give it 3 instead of the 4 stars I wanted to give it at first.

The first quarter of the book was ok, I read it without effort but I wasn’t really intrigued with the story. The first chapter I was going to punch Corwen becaus
Abby
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, romance, queer
I'm pretty conflicted about this book, because objectively it was fairly good and I *loved* some of the worldbuilding, but the tradeoff was not worth spending the entire time in the protag's deeply unpleasant POV. I think I would have had more patience with him if I'd ever had a break from him; as it was, the closest I came to actually liking him was when (view spoiler) ...more
Daniel Mitton
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was given this book outside my regular reviewer process directly through a message here on Goodreads, in return for an honest review. I usually only accept books for review through Love Bytes Reviews, but I figured what the heck...I was looking for something to read that day and I would give it a try.

To be honest this is the first time I've ever posted a DNF review. I was told that I would probably enjoy the book because I rated the Captive Prince books very highly and enjoyed them. This one,
LoveLight Press: Ice In Sunlight 1 3 Jul 07, 2016 10:53PM

• Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • St. Nacho's (St. Nacho's, #1)
  • Obsession (Russian Tattoos, #1)
  • Unholy Alliance (Immortal Lovers #1)
  • The Duck Springs Affair
  • GLEAN: Patcher vol.1
  • Vampire Next Door
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta, #1)
  • Captivated
  • Cole (For The Love Of A Good Woman #2)
  • Emergence (Sever the Crown, #1)
  • Chasing Rainbows (Love in a Bottle, #1)
  • Dreams in Deadwood (Seven Brides of South Dakota, #1)
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • Sold (Double Delight, #1)
  • Mail Order Bride : Escape: A collection of Mail Order Bride & Christian Romance
  • Drawing the Dead
  • The Nobleman's Governess Bride (The Glass Slipper Chronicles, #1)
Julia Leijon fell in love with writing at the age of twelve, and with vampires a year later. Despite being in her midthirties now, very little has changed.

Her one moment of infidelity was when she was eighteen and read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, briefly switching her allegiance over to werewolves in the aftermath. Though she still writes shifters and weres from time to time, Julia n