Start by marking “Chaos Comes to Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation” as Want to Read:
Chaos Comes to Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Chaos Comes to Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

While attempting to suppress his own desire to dance with Elizabeth Bennet, Mr. Darcy flees the Netherfield ballroom only to stumble upon a half-dressed Lydia Bennet in the library. After being discovered with her in a compromising position, Darcy is forced to make her an offer of marriage.

Fearing the Bennets will attempt a similar “trick” with their brother, Mr. Bingley
Published June 29th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Chaos Comes to Longbourn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaos Comes to Longbourn

Start your review of Chaos Comes to Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
What a book! I was quite apprehensive to start this book since I could never imagine dear Mr. Darcy with anyone other than Elizabeth. I couldn't even imagine myself with him! Nevertheless, I'm happy I read this book. 'Chaos' wouldn't be enough to describe the events in this book. What could possibly have happened for four mismatched betrothals to occur??? Mr. Darcy and Lydia, Mr. Wickham and Charlotte Lucas, Mr. Collins and Jane, and Mr. Bingley and Elizabeth.

I'll give a quick summary of the fo
Sophia
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 1
Recommended to Sophia by: Victoria Kincaid
It all began with a ball... then mayhem and comedy ensued for Jane Austen's well-beloved characters. The author begs the reader to have a good hearty laugh as her characters are mixed and matched to hilarious and hysterical results. I snorted and laughed from cover to cover over this novella-lengthed romantic comedy that teased and engaged me.

Yes, it all began at a ball. Darcy wanted to rid himself of his feeling for Elizabeth Bennet so in avoiding her he landed in a mess of epic proportions. He
Debbie
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-jaff, jaff
Oh, what a wild, glorious, insane series of events begin this book! They lead to the most unlikely pairings imaginable in JAFF. Mr. Darcy engaged to Lydia? Mr. Collins engaged to Jane? Mr. Bingley engaged to Elizabeth? Mr. Wickham engaged to Charlotte? What kind of bizarro-world Pride and Prejudice is this??

A thoroughly entertaining one, as it turns out. Somehow, Ms. Kincaid makes all of this come to pass in surprisingly plausible fashion in accordance with Recency rules of behavior, and the re
Sheila Majczan
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me list for you all the reasons for marriage: first, ‘I got caught with my breasts exposed with an unmarried man and beside mama has just reminded me of how rich I shall be’, then ‘since it seems I compromised her I must offer for her’, thirdly: ‘as I am to inherit and thus make the family homeless so I will compensate by offering for one of the daughters’, fourth is the situation in which 'I can make my mother happy by keeping her from the hedgerows and as, oh well, I will never love a man ...more
Leslie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Farce- a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and typically including crude characterization and ludicrously improbable situations.
an absurd event

This book is a farce that is composed of farces in farcical situations.

If you don't like humor and ludicrously improbable situations combined with many an absurd event - walk away. Luckily I am celebrated for my sense of humor and my love of comedy and this book was a treat.

This P&P Variation just jumps in the evening the the Netherfield
J. W. Garrett
Was this the domino effect or the pebble that started the avalanche?

Just like a loose pebble can start an avalanche, the horror began right away and built as each convoluted engagement came about. I was stunned at how easily a man could be duped/tricked/forced into marriage by a single word… compromise. Fairly quickly everyone was engaged to someone, only not the right someone.

I had been forewarned by friends that this was a farce. Had I stumbled into this book without their warning to take it
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
Will chaos reign when one ill-fated betrothal leads to series of unfortunate alliances throughout Meryton?

Rating : 5 stars out of 5

Source: I received a copy of this book from the author for a fair and honest review.

Jane Austen certainly had a well-developed sense of humor! Whether we stop to consider Mr. Collins’ hideous marriage proposal or enjoy the snarky intent behind one of Elizabeth Bennet’s responses to Caroline Bingley, we are reminded of Austen’s infamous wit and humor. Yet, I don’t th
Talia
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet. Another quick and pretty angst free read.

Reread: So much fun. Chaos is right! Charlotte has to be my favorite character in it.

Reread: Charlotte is my fave.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
4.5 stars!!! An Engaging Tangle of Engagements!

What if an unexpected series of events caused the four principal couples of Pride and Prejudice to form completely different pairings?

What if Mrs. Bennet caught Mr. Darcy in a compromising situation with Lydia Bennet and forced him to enter into an engagement to protect her reputation?

What if everything was completely mixed-up and everyone wanted to be with someone other than their betrothed?

A romantic farce full of humor would ensue….

In her newest
Nicole Marie
Status: Read from November 08 to 11, 2016

Rating: 2.5 Stars 2 stars

Review:
Implausibility diminished enjoyment - 2.5 Stars
I enjoy a little chaos in my JAFF reads, but this variation was just not plausible. The author had to have our beloved characters act wholly out of character to rearrange and pair them eccentrically. The idea should have been entertaining, but it just wasn’t for me.

My Library Notes:

Teresita
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff
What a mix up!

This story gets as hopelessly tangled as a ball of yarn in the paws of a kitten, but getting it untangled creates one of the most entertaining tales I have read!

Highly recommended!
Blodeuedd Finland
Poor everyone, especially Darcy! This is a most evil variation that makes poor Darcy engaged to Lydia! I know, the horror, but is such a gentleman and there was a situation that was misunderstood.

Just think about it, Darcy shackled to Lydia, he would be the laughingstock of England. And I was all how will he get out of it!

But this whole mess leads to more messes. Amusing evil messes. Like Jane and Collins! The horror. Bingley and Lizzy! (well that one could actually be content in the end even i
Carole (in Canada)
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Austenesque Readers, Romance, Comedy
Shelves: variations, comedy
My Rating: 3.5* rounded up to 4*

Such ado about dancing! Oh, if Darcy only knew what the consequences of not dancing with Elizabeth at the Netherfield Ball would be, he would never have left the ballroom!

"Why do I wish to dance with Elizabeth Bennet?" (quote from the book)

What can go wrong did go wrong in this fun farce! This is a quick easy read that puts a smile on your face and leaves you shaking your head over the calamity of errors that occur throughout. It also has you wanting to try and s
julianne
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to julianne by: Leslie
Mixed up engagements. Fun, funny and enjoyable.
Elizabeth Hossenlopp
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! (Some spoilers)

Talk about chaos run amok! Victoria Kincaid's latest book has the reader sitting in suspense as the plot unfolds a mess of unlikely couples, from Jane betrothed to Mr. Collins to Lizzy with Mr. Bingley. I laughed at the ridiculous moments, such as Lydia, at the second Netherfield Ball, yelling for her betrothed 'Fitzie' Fitzwilliam Darcy. I have read a lot of P&P variations, but I haven't come across that nickname! Too funny. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I highly r
Susan
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque
With this Pride and Prejudice variation chaos starts when Darcy is perceived to have compromised Lydia Bennet, who could well be the worst possible wife for Darcy. Then events lead to three more unlikely engagements. Read how these unfortunate engagements can be, if there are, resolved.
An enjoyable read.
Jenny
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chaos is the only way to describe this story.... it is so unique and completely bonkers!! It starts at the Netherfield Ball when Mr Darcy ends up engaged to Lydia when her seducer leaves with Darcy doing the honourable thing and picking up the pieces... I don't even know how to summarise without spoiling what happens next but we end up with 4 engagements - all of them miserable!

I really enjoyed so many elements of this book. As much as I hated Lydia being engaged to Darcy - her behaviour was ex
Michelle Stockard Miller
Pride and Prejudice, with a twist.

Wow. What if Mr. Darcy was mistakenly thought the man who compromised Lydia Bennet, and was forced to enter into an engagement with her to protect her honor? What if this led to a string of catastrophic events regarding all the P & P players and their engagements? Well, in this book, it happens.

Kincaid cleverly manipulates the original storyline of P & P and entertains with a funny, yet distressing story for those of us who love Jane Austen's stories. She takes
Tina
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was a little apprehensive going into this book but after I started reading I couldn't put it down. The hilarity that ensues because of all these unlikely couples having to hook up because of compromises and convenience. The best scene in the book is the engagement ball when two different people get punched in the face. Victoria Kincaid proves yet again that she is a rising star in the world of JAFF fiction. This is definitely one of her best books.

Rating: 4½ stars out 5
Deborah
What chaos ensues. Although I would call chaos an understatement....There were such mismatches I couldn't wait to read more o find out how it ended. It was quite humorous and a tortured Darcy, well the more tortured the better. I loved this book and highly recommend it. ...more
Sheryl Gordon
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mr. Darcy and the terrible, horrible, bad day

A fun take on matchmaking and compromising positions in a loose and laughable Regency setting. Creative premise and a quick read.
T
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bettye McKee
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chaos, indeed!

What a mix-up! At the Netherfield ball, Darcy is discovered in a compromising position with Lydia Bennet. Nothing will suffice but that they marry, although this is not an outcome that either party desires. I love how the author probes the depths of Lydia's inner trull.

When Bingley abandons Jane, she despondently accepts a proposal from Mr. Collins, believing that if she cannot marry the man she loves, she may as well marry to protect her family.

When Bingley returns and finds Jane
Christine Ray
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Victoria Kincaid has become one of my favorite authors of Pride and Prejudice variations. I very much enjoy the varied and innovative ways she asks the reader, "what if?" of this classic tale. Although the premise of this tale is quite innovative and amusing, it is the character of Charlotte Lucas (not the pairing of Lizzie Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy) that emerged as the star of this tale. Her scenes with both Mr. Wickham and Mr. Collins are quite entertaining and Kincaid allows Charlotte to b ...more
Dawn
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-austen
This was such a fun and lighthearted read! It is not a book to be taken seriously, but if you need a farcical diversion, this works nicely! Poor Darcy. There is probably not a literary character less suited to be paired with Darcy than Lydia Bennet. The other pairings were almost as cringy, but I really felt Darcy's pain! Of course, in the end, all the knots untangled and straightened out very well! ...more
Lisa E
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
A tangled mess

It was alright right up until Chapter 16 and the elopement of Wickham and Lydia which was not written well in my opinion (too many holes). The whole story was a bit of a tangled mess to write oneself out of. I'm sure Bingley could have come up with some other reason for hanging around: a courtship instead of an engagement? But I suppose that would have meant lying to his mother.
Shauna
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun

Not a long read, but entertaining. More like three and a half stars. The entanglements with the different couples did grow a bit tiresome.
Jennifer Feltz Milkowski
This was a funny book. I actually really liked everyone and all that happens. It great to see different pairings, but them pinning after their hearts desires.
Stephanie
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Some funny moments

This is a light read, nothing serious. There were enough funny lines that made me continue on ( I love to laugh.)
EvaLovesYA
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Also posted on Eva Lucias blog

Thanks to Poetic Book Tours!

Let me first of all say that when I was asked if I wanted to read this novel, my first thought was “YAY!”

I am Jane Austen-fan indeed. Usually I am not really into fanfiction at all, but it seems like Jane Austen-fanfiction is getting better and better. Especially this novel is living proof it! It is obvious that the author has researched a lot before writing it, because the language is spot on and creates many associations in the reader’s

• A Timely Elopement: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Rose Cottage: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Lover's Knot: A Mysterious Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • An Unwavering Trust
  • Mr. Darcy's Enchantment: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • When the Sun Sleeps: A Pride and Prejudice Novella (Sweet Sentiments Book 1)
  • Of a Sunday Evening
  • Darcy’s Paramour: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Particular Intentions
  • A Fortuitous Fall: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • An Unconventional Education: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Chasing Elizabeth: A Pride & Prejudice Variation (Mysteries & Matrimony Book 3)
  • One Minute More
Victoria has a Ph.D. in English literature and has taught composition to unwilling college students. Today she teaches business writing to willing office professionals and tries to give voice to the demanding cast of characters in her head.

She lives in Virginia with an overly affectionate cat, two children who are learning how much fun Austen’s characters can be, and a husband who fortunately is