Start by marking “Frayed (DarkTrench Shadow #1)” as Want to Read:
Frayed (DarkTrench Shadow #1)

Frayed

(DarkTrench Shadow #1)

ThreadBare is a debugger. He’s property, one of the Imam’s vast pool of implanted servants. He lives in a smelly, greasy garage on the boundary of the battlefield known as Delusion. All he wants is to complete his tasks, exceed his rival BullHammer, and stay alive. Possibly get a promotion.

When an atypical chore brings Thread into contact with Sandfly and HardCandy, thing
Published June 21st 2016 by Freeheads

To ask other readers questions about Frayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frayed

Janet Sketchley
Fans of the DarkTrench saga will be pleased to return to that same, dystopian future Earth. New to these books and not sure what to think? The book that started it all, A Star Curiously Singing, is free on most ebook platforms.

Frayed is the start of the DarkTrench Shadow Series, with new characters. Chronologically it overlaps the last part of A Star Curiously Singing. (Now I want to go back and read that one for a refresher to what happened off-screen in this book.)

The protagonist, ThreadBare,
Pete
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read and enjoyed Mr. Nietz’s A Star Curiously Singing. If you enjoy snappy cyberpunk writing, I definitely recommend that read. Frayed had a number of similarities in style and in the worldview, so I was looking forward to another trip to the author’s extraordinary hi-tech future world run by powerful Imams. I wasn’t disappointed.

Written in the first person of a debugger, DR23, nicknamed Threadbare, much of the story involves the internal struggles of this “implanted” human when he is faced wi
R.M. Lutz
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spin-off series are frequently plagued by feeling nearly identical to the original series, but this series comes out of the gates with a fresh perspective on this vibrant storyworld. Recommended to teens and up who are fans of science fiction.

Like Christian sci-fi and fantasy? Check out thebookhoundchristianspecfic.blogspot.com for full-length reviews, author interviews, and more!
Madeline J. Rose
Initial Response
I...don't exactly know what's happening...

High Lights
- I absolutely LOVED the worldbuilding in this book! It was so unique, unlike anything I've ever seen before. The debuggers, the data mixing, the serv bots, the Imam and his family, it was all so cool.
- Also, the names of the debuggers are just the best. ThreadBare is our main character, and then we have HardCandy, BullHammer, SandFly, FrontLot, and so many others. They put a little smile on my face. :)
- The prince was a ve
Kim  Gregory
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read the first series by this author a couple of years ago and it was fun to have parts of that and characters from that series part of this series again. As I started reading this series, I thought it was the same one I had already read, but it didn't head in the same direction.

There are three separate kinds of "people" in these stories: humans (freeheads); those with implants in their heads who do the repairing of the mechanicals (debuggers), they are slaves for the humans; and the robots or
Jeffrey Reynolds
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will admit: I'm not a Dystopian fan, and this is Dystopian. But it also is very well written, with a great premise and memorable characters (lead character Threadbare, and supporting characters Bull Hammer and The Prince).

I won't spoil the story, but I will spoil the author's notes. Nietz previously wrote a fantastic Dark Trench Saga series dealing with debuggers Sandfly and Hard Candy. He wrote a short story going back to this world with a briefly used character Threadbare. This book continu
Sara James
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book can be read separately from Nietz's Dark Trench Saga, but would also fit nicely after reading A Star Curiously Singing. It provides just a little additional information about those events which you might not appreciate without having read that book first. I read it after completing that entire series.
ThreadBare is a likeable character, coming across a bit younger than Sandfly from ASCS. He has more to offer in terms of story telling, I'm sure, so I hope we'll see more about him soon.
C.S. Wachter
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I prefer Fantasy to hard Science Fiction, Kerry Nietz weaves a splendid tale. For me personally, the book started a little slow and it took me a while to get a handle on ThreadBare’s character; but once I developed an appreciation for his matter of fact voice, he won me over. By the end, I couldn’t put the book down. I would definitely consider reading the next book in this series even though it’s not my usual genre.
Richard New
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Frayed, by author Kerry Nietz, is a return to the repressive sci-fi world of SandFly and HardCandy. Most of the world is still ground under the Imam's control, but there are holdouts resistant to the Imam and his A. These pockets of Antitex and other groups use honor and resourcefulness in the war against the Imam and his forces. And this is where ThreadBare comes in. He's a debugger, one of many stream-enhanced repair techs owned by the Imam, and his job is to repair heavy armament for the war ...more
Celesta Thiessen
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the world and some of the plot points. I felt for the character. This book wasn't as good as A Star Curiously Singing, though. It didn't give that same wonderful feeling at the end. Overall, this book was an entertaining and an engaging read.
Lynellen Perry
Mar 07, 2017
C.O. Bonham
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-met-the-author
One thing I am always looking at when I read a book is where it falls in a current series or story universe. Author Kerry Nietz says that Frayed can be read before or after his popular Dark Trench trilogy. Notice he did not say, you wouldn't have to read Dark Trench at all. (Very tricky Mr. Nietz.) This is because he has created a story world so vivid and interesting that you will, of course, have to absorb everything that it encompasses.

I did not read the three books in the Dark Trench saga pr
StarMan
Jaymes
Jun 04, 2017
Lissete Jimenez
Jun 19, 2017
Kerry Nietz is an award-winning science fiction author. He has over a half dozen speculative novels in print, along with a novella, a couple short stories, and a non-fiction book, FoxTales.

Kerry’s novel A Star Curiously Singing won the Readers Favorite Gold Medal Award for Christian Science Fiction and is notable for its dystopian, cyberpunk vibe in a world under sharia law. It has over a hundred