Start by marking “The Wild One (de Montforte Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wild One (de Montforte Brothers, #1)

The Wild One

(The de Montforte Brothers #1)

England, 1776: Lord Gareth de Montforte is known as an irresponsible rake with a heart of gold. When he takes a bullet for boldly thwarting a stagecoach robbery, he is stunned to discover that the beautiful young woman he has heroically rescued, Juliet Paige, is his deceased brother’s American fiancée, accompanied by her infant daughter. Despite his brother the duke's refu ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 384 pages
Published December 22nd 2013 by Danelle Harmon (first published December 26th 1997)

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

💙 I read this for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2018 Reading Challenge, for the category of: Historical Romance (Any). For more info on this challenge, click here. 💙

Dammit, 90s bodice rippers - how can I keep making fun of you if you keep being so...good? Earlier this year, I read a 90s Western romance about two ranchers called WILD TEXAS FLAME that I fully expected to dislike, and now this book, THE WILD ONE! Maybe only 90s b
2018 Romance Challenge
Category: Historical Romance

I buddy-read this one with some of my favourite witches over at Unapologetic Romances Readers! Thank you, Draco, Ron and Hermione!

3.5 Valiant Rake Stars

I’m not much of a historical romance reader. You may find this hard to believe but those traits which were so sought after and hard won by women in the past, demure and fashionable being but two, are traits which I find as unattainable as a flying pig. Sure, I can admire a character who never
♡Karlyn P♡
awesome!! Just as good as I remembered, sigh. (full review soon!)

----------->
Finally on ebook format!!! Going for a re-read, this was one of my favorite historical romance series. I sure wish the author would come out of retirement too, but for now glad to have this series on ebook format. :-)
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
Buddy read with Nenia, Sarah, and luminescent monster Karly!

There are so many good points to this book—not to mention tropes it upended, which is always fun. Gareth was a hero not often seen. He was reckless, needlessly prideful, and a bit clueless, but also carefree, kindhearted, and sexy. Juliet was a loyal heroine who let him know when she wasn't going to put up with his shit. She had a baby out of wedlock and none of the main characters batted an eye, only wanted to help her, which was anoth
Sabrina Jeffries
The One Series. I scarfed these down like candy. Harmon's de Montforte brothers are each delicious, and every book is better than the last. Unfortunately, most are out of print, but if you see them in the used bookstore, definitely grab a copy.
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS!!!

8/3 - OMG I am so behind on my reviewing!! After I finished this I could feel the memories slipping away, but at the same time I just felt no motivation to write anything (even knowing that my BR buddies, whose reviews are all way more detailed than mine and where you should go if you want a decent review, Heather, Karly, and Nenia were all waiting to see what my thoughts were on the book), so this is going to be a short review as I have two (or is it three, I forget) others to write.
Atunah
Free today on Kindle 8/28/12 !!!!

Backlist title, just released on Kindle 5/15/12 :)

Being able to read these backlist titles, is one of my favorite thing about my Kindle.
I have issues with the font in paperback books, especially those that are long out of print and yellowed. So every time I see a title pop up on Kindle, that I have had on my list for a long time, I am very happy.

This is the kind of book that reminds me why I love Historical Romance novels.
The Hero is a spoiled, childish, irres
Sha Mslvoe
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sha Mslvoe by: ♡Karlyn P♡
This was the first book I read by Danelle Harmon and I liked it. Gareth.. immature, adorable and fun and I charmed by his characters. Life with him will be fun, I know coz my dear hubby is like him. Always make me laugh when things got hard.

When I started reading this book, I'm afraid Juliet will not fall in love with Gareth. But seeing Gareth take responsibility and make her laugh, I saw affection and love grow between them.

The story is good and I want to know what happen to all DeMontforte br
Beanbag Love
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author. It was pretty good. Kept my attention and, best of all, I didn't know what was going to happen from scene to scene. There was only one thing that was ridiculously predictable and it was pretty annoying (view spoiler) but I'm intrigued anyway.

There were a few things that bugged me. I thought Gareth seemed whiney a
Jonetta
Juliet Paige is on her way to England to meet the family of her deceased fiance, Charles de Monteforte. She's arrived from war-torn Boston with her 6-month old daughter, Charlotte, the product of her relationship with Charles, and it's been a year since his death. When her stage coach is attacked by highwaymen not far from the de Monteforte estate, as fate would have it, Gareth de Monteforte comes to the rescue of the travelers but is injured in the process. It's not long before they realize eac ...more
Pam
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ignore the cover! One third of the way in, I was cringing for Juliet and Gareth...mis-matched, obviously attracted to each other, constantly disappointing each other - just too painful! Then each began to give and negotiate their relationship (thank heaven they both were forgiving of the other)and suddenly I found myself engaged and rooting for them...and now I'm on to the second book!
Elizabeta
Average story. I wasn't going to continue with the series, but the ending.... Hmmmm, maybe I will check out the next one.

description
Sonya Heaney
This book is actually a rerelease of a book first published in 1997. I was not aware of this at the time, but as you read, it makes sense (in a good way!).

A couple of decades ago historical romance was a little different. If you ignore the Fabioesque/bodice ripper/whatever it was that was being published back then, there were actually some books with a bit more to them. A bit more history, a bit more adventure, a lot less in the way of Disney-style anachronisms.

Interesting to read a book set in
Lady Wesley
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet love story; fairly light plot. But I enjoyed it a lot.

Based on reviews, I'm skipping the next installment and moving on the #3.

Hats off, BTW, to the author for making her backlist available on Kindle. This volume was only 99 cents (although I note that the subsequent volumes go up in price; well why not? we must pay for our addictions). My only complaint is with some of the formatting: frequently entire paragraphs were indented rather than just the first line. Annoying, but not a deal
(Nat) Reading Romances
A timeless love story! Danelle is such a talented author that you'll find yourself crying, laughing and smile while turning pages. It's so fluid and emotional but at the same time isn't a heavy reading experience. You'll feel like these characters are a part of your family, since you'll empathize and get to know them so well. You'll be charmed by de Montfortes!
Mariana
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was ok

Don't force yourself to finish this one. It's not worth it. No love development. Disgusting scenes. Fickle heroine. Just, ugh!

Will I read another book by this author? Definitely not!
Korey
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad some of my goodreads friends decided to buddy read this. It wouldn't have been on my radar otherwise and I quite enjoyed it. I really liked the relationship between Juliet and Gareth. They had hot chemistry but their relationship wasn't shallowly based just on physical attraction, their conflicts were understandable and came organically from their personalities and circumstances, and I really felt their compatibility and their emotional connection to each other. I really enjoyed Harmon' ...more
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
The Wild One is my first foray into Danelle Harmon's books and I am so pleasantly surprised that I have added this talented writer's books to my TBR list.

The second son of the De Montforte legacy, Charles, heads to the colonies to fight for the British crown. There he meets the love of his life, and before he has a chance to marry her, he becomes a casualty of war, leaving Juliet Paige an unwed mother as well as an out of place loyalist.

With her infant daughter Charlotte and a reserve of iron,
Gaufre
May 27, 2019 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: owned
I stopped reading this because I was busy last week. Three of my friends really liked it but I can't find the motivation to pick it up again. It is fun and light and there is not much wrong with the book.

Not rating.

Lauren
The Wild One
3 Stars

Juliet Paige and her baby daughter are on their way to meet her deceased fiancé’s family in England, when her coach is waylaid by highwaymen. Little does she know that the young gentleman who comes to the passengers’ rescue is none other than her lover’s younger brother, Gareth de Montforte. Gareth, known as The Wild One for his rakish ways, is smitten with Juliet from the start and vows to reform and become the husband and father she and her daughter deserve. Now all he has t
LaFleurBleue
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book by chance, because it was offered as a freebie, and did not have much expectations about it. I had never read anything from this author before.
I was surprised for the first page onwards, that this book was so much more than what I thought it would be.
There's a nice plot with several new developments, change of direction driven by character development or external conditions - some were predictable, but definitely not all of those, some were funny, others not. Overall I was rat
Megzy
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roub
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i was bored out of my skull! the book had great potential as the basic plot was really interesting. the author made it a light read, more funny than anything while i was expecting an intense and angsty read. gareth is also not my kinda hero. i was much more attracted to lucien!
Candace
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lord Gareth de Montforte saves a couch of passengers from highwaymen; getting shot for the deed. Juliet Paige with her six-month old daughter, Charlotte, is one of the passengers on her way to Blackhearth Castle. She is coming to see the Duke of Blackhearth, Lucian de Montforte, the brother of her fiancé, Charles, who is dead. Gareth survives the gunshot. He and Juilet become friends.

When Lucian sends Juliet and Charlotte away, Gareth pursues after them. When he finds them he asks Juliet to marr
Lisette Kristensen
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This was a phenomenal read! There are a lot of great historical romance authors to read, but Danelle Harmon is at the top. This was my first book by Ms. Harmon and it was wonderful. She nails every aspect of the period, the torrid steamy romance and all the conflict you could as for in a historical romance. This is a must read!!
Amber Peart Peart
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charles de Montforte has died in the colonies, leaving his American fiance, Juliet, heartbroken and in dire straights. She’s pregnant with his child. He’s always told her to return to his home in England, Blackheath Castle, if anything ever happened to him, and his family would take care of her. Branded a Royalist sympathiser she has no choice, and makes the crossing with baby Charlotte in tow. Nearing the castle, her stagecoach is held up at gunpoint. Enter Gareth de Montforte, or The Wild One. ...more
Rob

This was a Kindle freebie, and honestly? with the free reads my expectations are not very high, OMG! this was one of the best historical romances I've read in a while. I didn't get halfway through and was already thinking I can hardly wait for the next in the series. My first from this author and was truly impressed. I thought it was a very well written and beautifully touching love story.

Book Synopsis:

"They call me The Wild One, and for good reason. The devil only knows whether or not I am

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Free! This looks good!! Bodice Ripper? The Wild One (de Montforte #1)

Amazon: www.amazon.com/Wild-One-Montforte-Bro...

An Amazon # 1 in Kindle store BESTSELLER!

"The bluest of blood, the boldest of hearts; the de Montforte brothers will take your breath away."

Sissy's Romance Book Review
This is book one in "The de Montforte Brothers" series. Also, this is a second release of this book. The first was back around 1997 and I am so glad that they released it again. This has Lord Gareth de Montforte who is the all around historical hero. Loving, strong, tough, and loves kids. Juliet Paige has a infant daughter she is trying to take care of and is trying to head to her former fiance (he died) family. Where she on her way she is held up but is saved by Lord Gareth. This starts the the ...more
Gwen ~the Book Diva
This was pretty good. I decided to throw in a quick historical romance and this one worked out. The story was really good and kept my interest. Gareth was very sweet and wild but a bit immature at the same time. I did admire Juliet's determination take care of herself and ability to love Gareth despite all the challenges he presented! But that ending totally flipped the script for me! I will picking up book 2 ASAP! Not a cliffhanger but...oh just read it and you'll see!!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 12:58PM

• Surrender A Dream
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1)
  • An Undeniable Rogue (Rogues Club, #1)
  • With this Kiss
  • The Sweetest Revenge
  • A Necessary Husband (Necessary, #1)
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals, #1)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Taken by Desire
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1)
  • The Inconvenient Duchess (The Radwells #1)
  • Forevermore (The Jewel Trilogy #2.5)
  • Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid (Kellington, #1)
  • Love's Portrait
  • Twice a Rake
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Danelle Harmon has written seventeen critically acclaimed and award-winning books, with many being published all over the world. A Massachusetts native, she has lived in Great Britain, though these days she and her English husband make their home in New England with their daughter Emma and numerous animals including five dogs, an Egyptian Arabian hor ...more

The de Montforte Brothers (5 books)
  • The Beloved One (de Montforte, #2)
  • The Defiant One (de Montforte, #3)
  • The Wicked One (de Montforte, #4)
  • The Wayward One (The de Montforte Brothers, #5)
“You, my dear, do not know how to have fun." "I do, too!" "You do not. You are as bad as Lucien. And do you know something? I think it's time someone showed you how to have fun. Namely, me. You can worry all you like about our situation tomorrow, but tonight ... tonight I'm going to make you laugh so hard that you'll forget all about how afraid of me you are." "I am not afraid of you!" "You are." And with that, he pushed his chair back, stalked around the table, and in a single easy movement, swept her right out of her chair and into his arms. "Gareth!  Put me down!" He only laughed, easily carrying her toward the bed. "Gareth, I am a grown woman!" "You are a grown woman who behaves in a manner far too old for her years," he countered, still striding toward the bed. "As the wife of a Den member, that just will not do." "Gareth, I don't want — I mean, I'm not ready for that!" "That? Who said anything about that?"  He tossed her lightly onto the bed. "Oh, no, my dear Juliet. I'm not going to do that —" She tried to scoot away. "Then what are you going to do?" "Why, I'm going to wipe that sadness out of your eyes if only for tonight. I'm going to make you forget your troubles, forget your fears, forget everything but me. And you know how I'm going to do that, O dearest wife?"  He grabbed a fistful of her petticoats as she tried to escape. "I'm going to tickle you until you giggle ... until you laugh ... until you're hooting so loudly that all of London hears you!" He fell upon the bed like a swooping hawk, and Juliet let out a helpless shriek as his fingers found her ribs and began tickling her madly. "Stop!  We just ate!  You'll make me sick!" "What's this? Your husband makes you sick?" "No, it's just that — aaaoooooo!" He tickled her harder. She flailed and giggled and cried out, embarrassed about each loud shriek but helpless to prevent them. He was laughing as hard as she. Catching one thrashing leg, he unlaced her boot and deftly removed it. She yelped as his fingers found the sensitive instep, and she kicked out reflexively. He neatly ducked just in time to avoid having his nose broken, catching her by the ankle and tickling her toes, her soles, her arch through her stockings. "Stop, Gareth!"  She was laughing so hard, tears were streaming from her eyes. "Stop it, damn it!" Thank goodness Charlotte, worn out by her earlier tantrum, was such a sound sleeper! The tickling continued. Juliet kicked and fought, her struggles tossing the heavy, ruffled petticoats and skirts of her lovely blue gown halfway up her thigh to reveal a long, slender calf sheathed in silk. She saw his gaze taking it all in, even as he made a grab for her other foot. "No!  Gareth, I shall lose my supper if you keep this up, I swear it I will — oooahhhhh!" He seized her other ankle, yanked off the remaining boot, and began torturing that foot as well, until Juliet was writhing and shrieking on the bed in a fit of laughter. The tears streamed down her cheeks, and her stomach ached with the force of her mirth. And when, at last, he let up and she lay exhausted across the bed in a twisted tangle of skirts, petticoats, and chemise, her chest heaving and her hair in a hopeless tumbled-down flood of silken mahogany beneath her head, she looked up to see him grinning down at her, his own hair hanging over his brow in tousled, seductive disarray.” 2 likes
“He can make me laugh when all I want to do is cry. He can make me see the good in a situation when all I see is the bad. He knows when life should be taken seriously — and when it shouldn't. He's delightful and funny and clever — and not afraid to make a total cake of himself." ” 2 likes