Start by marking “Rebel Magisters (Rebel Mechanics, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebel Magisters (Rebel Mechanics, #2)

Rebel Magisters

(Rebel Mechanics #2)

Tea, Love ... and Revolution!

The Rebel Mechanics aren’t the only group plotting revolution against the magical British Empire. There are rebel magisters, as well, and Verity Newton and her magister employer, Lord Henry, know that the only way for the revolution to succeed is if both groups work together. A diplomatic mission seems like the perfect opportunity for them to m
Published July 12th 2016 by NLA Digital

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Magisters, please sign up.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Buy a print book or an ebook so the author can actually afford to write the third book in the series. You could also request for your library to…moreBuy a print book or an ebook so the author can actually afford to write the third book in the series. You could also request for your library to purchase Rebel Magisters. Downloading a free copy from the web is stealing, and it's illegal.(less)

Gillian Berry
Eeeee I love this series! Overall this book is more cohesive and more REBEL-y with the first, along with a SUPER ADORABLE SLOW BURN ROMANCE I'M GRINNING LIKE A FOOL RIGHT NOW

*presses pillow to face and squeals into it*

Okay. I'm better.

While there are a few mysteries I totally know the answer to, ever since the first book) (though it hasn't been revealed in text yet so I could be wrong but I'm so not) and one I totally guessed also in the first book, I lived the plotty shenanigans in Rebel Magis
Heather
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebel with a cause

What a great second story in this series. I love the characters. All roads lead to rebellion and who doesn't love that. A nice mix of steampunk and magic with some romance on the side. I didn't want the book to end. Can't wait for the next book.
Sarah K
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic second book in this series! It's smart, fun and swoon worthy! The alternate history with magic is such a fun setting to this fast paced exciting story! I loved it and can't wait for book 3! I've devoured these books!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Before I get into the whole reviewing business, I want to exhort you guys to give this series a try. I’ve been reading Shanna Swendson since I was a teen, and she excels at magical plots, romance, cuteness, and surprising levels of intensity (surprising because of how cute her books are). I reread Rebel Mechanics before launching into Rebel Magisters, and it was every bit as absurdly delightful as on my first read. Rebel Magisters may be a self-published sequel, but it loses absolutely
Blake T
If you have read the first book, you will know that Verity Newton is a governess in a rather unusual house...the owner of the house, Lord Henry, is part of a group called the masked bandits. They steal treasures from the king and give to the Rebel Mechanics, a group of people who are on a mission to overthrow the government. When The Governer comes to Lord Henry's household and suggests a tour of the colonies by air ship, the family ventures far into their comfort zone. Verity even takes the cha ...more
Maria Mitchell
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the first, but still good.
Cindy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
It took me a while because I couldn't remember book 1 to save my life. But once things started coming back to me it was an OK read.

It was fast paced and had a very innocent G rated romance. The steam punk and alternative magic history was fun to read and explore.

At times it did seem to focus on some dull, mundane aspects of life bUT better than the first book.

It does end in a bit of a cliffhanger so I hope book 3 comes out.

Flora, oldest girl, was surprising in this book and really stepped up a
Margaret
Hurrah for Rebel Magisters! This is the rousing sequel to Rebel Mechanics, one middle-schoolers all over Texas are reading this year, as it is on the 2016 Lone Star list [see http://www.txla.org/groups/lone-star ].

Rebel Mechanics is an alternate history book with the premise that the American Revolution did not occur in 1776 but happened in 1888 instead because the British, wait for it, were all magicians and had ruthlessly put down the "troubles" in 1776.

By 1888, the rebels had discovered ste
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, the sequel to Rebel Mechanics, I felt like it was even better than the first one. Intriguing spies, love and mystery made this one hard to put down.
I love the alternate history plot and the similarities of that history and ours is fun to point out and notice; and also I have a weak spot for Lord Henry the magister who wants a revolution and Verity the nanny who helps him see it.
The only bad thing with this book is I want the next in the series like right now. Oh w
James
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swendson continues her delightful series set in magical, different reality. The English Empire, with it's ruling magical class, is starting to see the American Colonies slip from their grasp. Verity, a young woman unconvinced of her own merits, is finding her way to this Revolution.

With a nice mix of polite romance, enjoyable characters, and just enough world building shown rather than explained, this a clever series worth enjoying.
Hope
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I am glad Shanna Swendson decided to go ahead and publish this herself after the publisher for the first book in the series declined it. Verity is an appealing heroine, and I look forward to seeing where the rebellion goes next. The romance is rather a slow developing one, which may frustrate some readers, but since this is technically a YA series, it seems appropriate.
Lori
So good. I'm going to need the next book ASAP!
Lauren James
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: governess
honestly I can't stop thinking about these books. they might be the best thing I've read all year. I'm talking the raven cycle level of obsession. I NEED THE NEXT ONE (and my own henry)
Michelle
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm happy the author self-published the second book, I really enjoyed it. I hope she's planning to write a third, because I want to know what happens next.
Sydney (booksofkings)
Rebel Magisters is the sequel to Shanna Swendson's Steampunk HIstorical YA alternate reality, Rebel Mechanics. RM and it's sequel R Magisters is how she percieves the American REvolution and subsequent history would have been if the British have magic.

Verity and her employer, Magister Lord Henry have already met the Rebel Mechanics and helped them escape out of the city with their machines to avoid being captured by the British Government so they can keep working towards an eventual revolution.
Elisa
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More information, some spying, flying and some characters surprise you, and then we get a sweet-slow romance. Very satisfying!
Deborah
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
The thing that first attracted me to this series was the cover of the first book, "Rebel Mechanic". I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I judged that this series was going to be awesome, and I was right. As the second book in the series, I didn't expect much from "Rebel Magisters" but this book was almost as good, (and maybe even better) than the first book. The book wasn't high action or suspense but actually really tame for a Steam Punk novel. The reason why I loved it ...more
Andrea
I was an immediate fan of Rebel Mechanics when I read it last year. When it ended, I was a little sad that it was a standalone so imagine my surprise when I saw a fellow blogger add Rebel Magisters on Goodreads!

Much like  Rebel Mechanics , this follow-up is fast-paced and entertaining. Verity continues to assist the Mechanics and Henry in starting a revolution against the high-ranking Magisters, only now she becomes a liaison between the Rebel Mechanics and a few choice Magisters who no long
Erin Arkin
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Review to come.
Cynthia
Rebel Magisters:

Good sequel- interesting parallels to actual history, especially the allusion to how the Natives were initially blamed for the tea party/used as a scapegoat due to costumes used while dumping tea.

The plot was a little loose and non-coherent, though it picked up towards the end, thankfully, once the real action started. I felt slightly bored in the beginning, as almost nothing actually happened. The best sustained part of this book was the romance between Liberty? Verity? (I can'
Brenda
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in this series in the "Rebel Mechanics" series and I tend to avoid series because of the waiting for the next book is agonizing. But with this series I'm honestly enjoying it and it is absolutely an enjoyable read. Found myself rooting for Verity and Henry since the last book and ahhh this book was bittersweet. I didn't find myself confused in with anything going on in the story. In general it was easy to keep up, now I can't wait for the third book to come out!!! Fingers ...more
Paloma Hdezc
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebel Magisters was a good sequel to its predecessor. The story focused on the difficult alliances between the mechanics and the magisters. On the other side, we have Verity's and Henry's upcoming romance, which I have to say was slow but believable due to the conditions they were both facing. My favourite part was the ending, because it's hinted that Verity and Henry will have a chance to be together in the next book.

The ending, not a cliffhanger, but a hint enough to know what's coming.
Kat T.
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much better than the first one.

P.S. Flora was a pleasant surprise and now my fave character!
Sara
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I don't think I enjoyed this book quite as much as the first book in the series, this was certainly a fun installment! Set in an alternate history where the U.S. colonies are still under British rule and those in power (the magisters) stay in power because they can use magic, this picks up where the last book left off. Verity is still working as the governess for a prominent magister family and grappling with her growing feelings for the man she works for but can't have due to their differ ...more
Noah K
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-nine-weeks
The first book in the series, Rebel Mechanics left off with the mechanics successfully escaping New York City with there machines. Great Britian believes that they have defeated the Rebel Mechanics but what they don't know is that that was just the beginning. Verity and the family she is a governess for go on with their normal lives except now that Verity's employer Henry is in on the Rebel Mechanics and since he is for their cause they Verity and him continue to meet up with some of their membe ...more
Charty
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a solidly written, engaging sequel to Rebel Mechanics. Now that Verity is more firmly entrenched in rebellion, she and Lord Henry see opportunities for the Mechanics to gain the support of disaffected Magisters and join forces, however the two groups distrust and dislike each other. Despite their shared desire to overthrow British rule, bringing the two sides together doesn't prove easy.

I felt that the author did a good job of showing how fractured the Magister group really is, with the
Ashlee

Rebel Magisters was better than its predecessor. There was more progress in the development of a revolution and not as many people who were trying to deceive Verity. There wasn't a love triangle in here and we get to see more of Lord Henry.😉 The kids were also a great part of the book, and I love how Flora has developed as a character. She contributed a decent amount to the story.

It's amazing how many events and thoughts parallel with the real American Revolution. This made it feel as if that wa

Amanda
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Rebel Mechanics series picks up soon after the first book. Verity is working with both the Rebel Mechanics and the Rebel Magisters and each group wants the same changes. Verity works to bring these two groups together as a united front to work on starting a revolution. I enjoy how the book mixes some real historical events, such as the Boston Tea Party, and mixes in some steampunk elements along with espionage and a bit of romance. I really like Verity and Lord Henrys frie ...more
Lexi
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may2018, april2018
Now that the annoying fake love triangle is out of the way, this series is getting really good! I love Verity and Henry together. The fluffiness makes me squee! Also, I like the way that major events of the American Revolution are still occurring just in a steampunk way 100 years later. It's like they were fixed points in time that were inevitable. Some reviewers call Verity a "boring" heroine who "doesn't do" anything, but I strongly disagree. Verity is just daring enough to be credible for the ...more
Genesis Haruno Takahashi
  • These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2)
  • Check, Please! Year Three
  • Dark Destiny (Dark Mirror, #3)
  • Night of the Highland Dragon (Highland Dragon, #3)
  • So Wide the Sky (The Women's West, #1)
  • Somebody Wonderful
  • Texas Love Song (McQuillen #1)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Burn Bright (Dark Star, #2)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)
  • Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current, #2)
  • The Woman at the Light
  • Along the Way Home
  • Vaughn (Circle Eight #4)
  • Untitled (Wrapped, #2)
  • The Notorious Mrs. Winston
  • Bright Scoundrel (Reluctant Heroes #2)
Once upon a time ...

A little girl learned to amuse herself by making up stories in her head. She turned everyday activities into exciting adventures, and she made up new adventures for characters from her favorite movies, TV shows and books. Then one day she realized that if she wrote down those stories, she'd have a book! But that was crazy, she thought. Real people don't become novelists. That w

Rebel Mechanics (4 books)
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • Rebels Rising (Rebel Mechanics, #3)
  • Untitled (Rebel Mechanics, #4)