Start by marking “Not Your Hero” as Want to Read:
Not Your Hero

Not Your Hero

My hot new tenant isn't the kind of woman I usuaslly go for. At all.

She's a single mom and even I'm smart enough to know there will only be complications getting involved with her, no matter how good she might be for me.

But when her past comes back and threatens them, I'm forced to face my own demons in order to keep them safe.
Published June 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published April 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Not Your Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Your Hero

Tara  TUG
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about freaking pleasantly surprised by a book. I mean damn. I went into this book not even reading a blurb and came out of it loving a hot ass male named Sam. I really felt like the author did a hell of a job making the reader connect with both characters. I love reading a book from an author that immediately makes you want to go and buy every one of her other books. Add in a strong female character who can make her own decisions and put other people before her then you know I’m all in.

Sam
Red Cheeks Reads
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courtney is a single mom just trying to get through life with her 5 year old son Ben. Working 2 jobs, she is trying to provide for her son and pay off some bills. Very busy with juggling work and her son, she doesn't think too much of her hot landlord that lives next door in the duplex. Sam is hard working and has his fair share of ladies. After being burned by his ex fiancé, he doesn't know if he could ever love again. But when these two slowly begin to enter each other's worlds, they can't get ...more
EpicRomanceReviews
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more enticing for me than a story about a jaded "A-hole" who is transformed by love, and NOT YOUR HERO by Anna Brooks is that all that and more!!

Sam is a commitment-phobe with serious trust issues who has built an emotional barricade around himself to keep from feeling. He goes through the motions, spending his days toiling away as handy man in his grandparent’s duplex, his nights prowling the bars and engaging in meaningless hookups with a hot blonde. However, everything chang
Tiffany Readz
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam Can Be My Hero Any Day!!!

What a sweet and sexy as hell love story Anna Brooks gives us with Not Your Hero. I was all in from the blurb and was excited when the story held up just as well.

"Trust is a fickle bitch, and it doesn't come easily for me." ~ Sam

Sam has made himself quite a complex man. Having to protect his heart and feelings for most of his life has left him with a cold and uncaring exterior. He lost his mother and his father never stepped up when raising little Sam. Getting himse
Barb
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Courtney and her son Ben are tenants of Sam's. Courtney is looking for a good guy to be in Ben's life but when she starts thinking maybe that guy could be Sam, Sam puts a stop to that real quick! Sam trusts no one and never lets anyone get close enough to break down the walls he has around his heart. He will allow all the girls in his bed but not close enough to have feelings for them.
Sam has been hurt pretty bad in his life by his dad and by his ex-fiance. It's not surprising that he won't tru
KathyB
I didn't care for the hero in this one, Sam pushed away too much and was a jerk throughout the story. His general attitude towards women and how he treated Courtney didn't work for me.

This one was a miss for me, I wouldn't recommend.

2.75 Stars
Aaly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roomies, arc

** ARC provided by Southern Belle Promotions for an honest review. **

Not your hero is the story about two broken souls, and after some traumatic experiences in their past, decided to be in charge of their lives, instead of being a victim.

Courtney is a single mother with two jobs, trying to maintain her family above the water. This character was so brave, even in the hard times she fought for it. But she felt lonely and sometimes wanted to have someone in her life she could rely on.

Sam is her la
beth myrick
Apr 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
MOVE along

No spoilers. That's just a reminder to myself because I really want to five away all the reasons why their really isn't a single character in this book that inspired me to root for this couple. Seriously, just everything about it was uninspiring overall. It was a force finish for me. I'm sorry, but this needs a do over on so many levels.
Mollien Fote Osterman
Page Count: 192 pages
Heat Level: 3 flames out of 5
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Blurb:

My hot new tenant isn’t the kind of woman I usually go for. At all.

She’s a single mom and even I’m smart enough to know there will only be complications getting involved with her, no matter how good she might be for me.

But when her past comes back into her life and threatens them, I’m forced to
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
***ARC Provided by the Author and Social Butterfly PR***

Sam and Courtney were both interesting and I was engaged with their story. I could understand why each of them would feel reluctant to get involved, why events in their pasts would make them think it was a good idea to avoid caring, and relying, on another person. Watching them both realize that they had found the person they were willing to risk their hearts to be with was compelling, interesting, and drew me in quickly as a reader. Their
Lia
This was a quick read. It was emotional and dramatic in all the right places. Sam is an asshole. He's jaded from years of abuse from his father and being betrayed in the worst way by the people who were supposed to love him. Courtney is a single mom who has no support from her son's father. She works two jobs and does everything she can to provide and protect her boy.

They're an unlikely pair. Sam has no desire to have a relationship with anyone. Friendship, romantic, or otherwise. But somehow,
The Book Fairy Reviews
Love is never easy, just ask Courtney. She fell in love and when her love brought on a child she was kicked to the curb. Found a place to live in a duplex owned by Sam.
Sam was hurt by a woman and the one person that supposed to protect him and love him unconditionally, his Father.
Now they live next door both are attracted both have trust issues, both are fighting the inevitable.
I loved this book because it was raw and real. Anna pilled no punches, Sam is a mans man he tells it like it is not bel
Karen
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I was not a huge fan of Ben. Ben's dad was crazy.

Not so sophisticated as her other works.
Big Joe  Rossi
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

Courtney is a single mom working two jobs with really no one but her friend Mona behind her. Sam is the bad attitude sexy neighbor and her landlord who stays away, has tons of female visitors, once, and is nice to her cute adorable son, Ben.

When circumstances throw them together over and over his past and her past seem to lead them in different directions. Sam doesn't trust easy, hell he doesn't trust ANYONE He doesn't do relationships. One nighters and/or no string sex is his limit bu
Melissa Mendoza
Page Count: 192
Heat Level: 3 flames out of 5
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Blurb:

My hot new tenant isn’t the kind of woman I usually go for. At all.

But when her past comes back into her life and threatens them, I’m forced to face my own demons in order to keep them safe.

Revi
Dayreader Reviews
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Trust is a fickle bitch, and it doesn't come easily for me." ~ Sam

Sam was not kidding about his issues with trust. Spend the majority of the book being a jerk. Okay that was harsh but he is not the nicest guy when it comes to his feelings or the feeling of others, especially Courtney's. He uses women for one thing and that is it. He cannot be what Courtney deserves. He is not her hero.

Poor Courtney, she is a single mom forced to work two jobs so that she can support her 5 year old son Ben,, tha
Crystal Singer
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well……..I fell head over heels in love with another of Anna Brooks men. Not Your Hero is a stand- alone book (although I’m hoping one day for some sort of follow up!!) and it was an incredibly sexy read.
Sam Monroe lived his life for no one other than himself. He’s selfish and angry. No one needed to know about his past, he would never let anyone close enough to know. He didn’t need a relationship. Sex, yes, love, hell no!

Courtney was a fantastic single mom just trying to get by. Working two jo
Michelle Austin
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not Your Hero by Anna Brooks was a great 4 star read.

Sam is a hardworking man who has trust issues because of something from his past. He has turned into a man who doesn’t do relationships. Until he meets Courtney.

Courtney is a single mom who is working her butt off to make ends meet. She is renting from Sam who lives in the other half of the duplex.

Sam and Courtney have an instant connection and after trying to fight temptations they finally give and he can’t get her out of his mind. The scene
Kelly Lincoln
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam had a childhood that left him jaded, and Cortney is a single mom with an ex that kicked her out as soon as he found out she was pregnant. She winds up renting a side of his duplex.

This is not an insta-love, roses and fantasy situation book. It’s actually a very refreshing take on a modern romance between lovable yet flawed characters. The development of the characters and their relationship is very natural and realistic. Both Courtney and Sam deal with real issues, and there is even a suppor
AnessaRenee Reviews
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the character you fall in love with in love with is the heroine. Courtney is such a string beautiful woman. She's a single mom who overcomes life and makes it a good one for her and her son. Sam is the hot untouchable landlord that lives next door. When you constantly live in the past and let the things of that past haunt you, you miss what's in front of you. Will Court let someone inside her and Bens lives? Will Sam let himself move on and try to be happy? This was a fast read that I ...more
Roksana
Warning Hero has descriptive sex with OW and sleeps around whilst heroine is already on the picture!

Sorry but there is nothing less romantic "like" reading Hero having descriptive sex with someone other than the heroine! I come here to read a "swoon worthy romance" NOT a man having sex with random woman...I hear and see this on telly and internet, so I don't want this in my "romance book"

Hms
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 The author needs to put all the cliches in her outline on a piece of paper and put all 20 in a hat and pick 4 or 5. Abusive father, bad boy, former drug user, single mom working as a waitress at a strip club, asshole baby daddy, former bad boy with trust issues, evil vindictive attorneys....I could go on, but I am tired of typing. The basic idea is good, the cliches and lack of character development weaken the story.
Bitchy
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, audiobook
Patty
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Men who interact with kids is a weakness for me. When Sam comes into this book, the man who will not commit and likes lots of women for meaningless sex, I thought, here we go, a jerk of a man with issues. But his true colors shine through almost from the start. Sam has a home he rents to Courtney and her son, Ben. She has it tough, single mom, no money, two jobs but so much love to give, it's hard not to love her. She is strong and resilient and does her best by her son. Ben is so cute, and take ...more
Melanie Valdez
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart squeezing good!!!!

I love the characters and how you never know what situation another person could have so you can't judge a person of the back! Couldn't stop reading wanted to know was was happing or what was going to happen! I'm a helpless romantic and this had a good twist for keeping you on the edge of your seat!!
Jocelyne
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first Anna Brooks's book. The story is interesting. Sam and Courtney, a single mom, share an instant attraction and an undeniable hot chemistry. Ben, Courtney's son, is so cute! The story has twists and turns, and a happy ending. Joe Arden and Rose Dioro did a great job with the narration. #AudiobookObsession
Mandy Sawyer
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Anna’s writing so much! I can’t get enough of her words. This book had me smiling pretty much all the way through. The chemistry between the characters is fantastic. Rose and Joe do a brilliant job of narrating this book. Well done guys.
Nina Wallace
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was a roller coaster of mess lol
Michelle Mulvey
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! First off this book was off the charts hot as hell. Anna always gives us great books though so I'm not surprised in the least.

This precious gem was about Sam Monroe. The womanizing playboy who likes to being home different girls every night. He ends up renting the apartment next door to Courtney Gallagher and her adorable lovable 5 year old son Ben.

Ben loves Sam and always wants to hang out with him to play catch, video games or even just hangout in the garage and watch Sam work. Sam ends
Jazmine Cabrera
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not Your Hero by Anna Brooks
Not Your Hero is about two “broken” souls. They both have been through traumatic experiences and now fear happiness. One is looking for a man to spend their life with while the other trusts no one and doesn’t want a commitment. This just makes me want to find out what happens.
Many events in this story make it more believable. It's a shame that they have to endure this pain.

We meet Courtney and her 5 year old son Ben. She’s a single mother working two jobs,
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please add new cover. 3 22 Jun 29, 2016 04:21AM

• Bait: Alpha Billionaire Romance Part 1
  • A Hot Winter (Attraction #2)
  • Undone, Volume 2 (Undone, #2)
  • Pieces Lost (Devil Call MC - Talon & Everly, #2)
  • Hate Me (Hate Me, #1)
  • The Fighter's Fierce Temptation (The Burton Brothers, #1)
  • ASMODEUS: Demon of Lust Part 1
  • Crazy Beautiful (Crazy, #1)
  • Leap of Faith (La Flor Series, #1)
  • Merger of the Heart (Glenwood Falls, #1)
  • The Truth About Lennon
  • Dare
  • An Unplanned Life (Unplanned, #2)
  • And Then You
  • Alien Commander's Chosen (Accidental Alien, #1-5)
  • Incubus Hunter (Erotic Elf, #1)
  • Noah's Wife
  • Blackbird (A Stepbrother Romance, #1)
The first time Anna tried to read a romance novel, her hair caught on fire when she leaned over a candle to sneak a peek at her mom’s Harlequin. She thinks being hit on the head with a shirtless Fabio until the smoke cleared is what sparked the flame for her love of romance.
Anna was born in Wisconsin, but currently lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and two boys. She writes sexy roma