Start by marking “Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth, #1)

Olmec Obituary

(Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth #1)

Archaeologist Dr Elizabeth Pimms thoroughly enjoys digging up old skeletons.

But when she is called home from Egypt after a family loss, she has to sacrifice her passions for the sake of those around her.

Attempting to settle into her new role as a librarian, while also missing her boyfriend, Elizabeth is distracted from her woes by a new mystery: a royal Olmec cemetery, dis
Published August 1st 2016 by Allen Unwin (first published May 15th 2015)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
For some reason did I not expect Olmec Obituary to take place in present time. I thought it would take place at the beginning of the 20th century. It's odd how a cover and the blurb can make you expect something else than what you get.

I'm actually a bit surprised that this book is labeled cozy crime because that's not the feeling I got when I read the book. Sure there are no sex scenes and not much violence, but it felt too serious to be a cozy crime book. Sure it had its funny moments, but most
Phrynne
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
An interesting book within which the author packs heaps and heaps of information about archeology, librarianship, the study of lost languages and societies and even cooking. I was occasionally overwhelmed.
The story was good though and I enjoyed the strange family with its blended nationalities and emotional upheavals. I was a little disappointed in the loose ends such as the relationship with Luke and the story with Mai. I suppose I have to read the sequel.

This next bit did not affect my rating
Brenda
Having to rush home from the Mayan dig where she was currently working, Dr Elizabeth Pimms was shocked and heartbroken at what she was returning to in her home town of Canberra in Australia. And the fact that she was unable to return to her life as an archaeologist for the foreseeable future, saddened her deeply. But Elizabeth’s first thought was for her family, and she knew she needed to stay at home and work to support them, especially her younger brother Matty.

Taking a job as a librarian hadn
Marianne
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Olmec Obituary is the first book in the Dr Pimms, Intermillenial Sleuth series by Australian author, L J M Owen. Like her grandfather and father before her, Elizabeth Pimms is a librarian. It may be a wonderful profession, but it’s not her career of choice: before the sudden death of her father, Dr Pimms was pursuing her life’s aspiration as an archaeologist in Egypt, with Luke, the man of her dreams; now, Luke is at a dig in Mexico and Elizabeth is in Canberra, providing a steady income to supp ...more
Carolyn
This was quite an interesting cosy mystery centred around an Archaeological site in Mexico where skeletal remains of a number women and children have been found. Unfortunately for me I didn't really take to the central character, Elizabeth who has given up her embryonic career as an archaeologist to return to Canberra and train as a librarian to help support her family following the death of her father. I found her a bit spoilt and immature in her attitudes and dealings with others. I also found ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I finished Olmec Obituary by LJM Owen last night and have been pondering on it ever since, but I still really don't know what to think of it.

I found it difficult to engage with the characters. Elizabeth, in my opinion, is a hot-headed little madam, indulged by her family. She jumps to conclusions and can be quite rude. Luke, her boyfriend, seems very off-hand and somehow I don't think their relationship is heading where she thinks its heading. Elizabeth's family is lovely, but she is hostile tow
Matt
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My usual reading fodder consists of fantasy and near-future science fiction. However, I recently branched out into mysteries, and found Olmec Obituary to be an engaging read with a clever plot and many smaller mysteries humming away in the background of the main story. I was also drawn in by the faithfully written characters, each of whom has a distinct voice, deep backstory, and emotional journey.

The archaeological detail is yet another clever feature of this book. The outline of Olmec civilisa
Hayley Lewis
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the story to be fun to read with really likable characters and an engaging storyline/mystery with a satisfying ending.

Another aspect that I really love about this story is that I identified with the main character while reading because she had a very relatable personality and she was also a Doctor Who fan :) So this combined with my enjoyment of a good mystery puts this novel high on my list of favorites.

I encourage everyone who enjoys mystery series to read this one and tell the autho
Josef Hextall
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enticing read that continuously beckons the reader to travel through two time periods on opposite sides of the world. As one learns more about the characters and their relationships some answers are revealed but others emerge.

Superbly written with an excellent combination of incidental, flavouring details and a palpable growing tension. I just had to keep reading to resolve the tale. And now I cannot wait for the next one!
Cindy
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought Olmec through Kickstarter earlier this year. My only problem with this book is I'll have to wait a while for the next one.

As an English teacher and avid reader of many genres, I found nothing to criticize and much to delight. This novel is well written in correct English and has a captivating story.

I was very impressed with the archaeological knowledge (shades of Kathy Reichs without the gore). It certainly led me off looking for more information on the Olmecs - I particularly liked t
Mystery Lover
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book but it is a mystery like Agatha Christie or Midsomer Murder where you have to think to work out what is going on. I like stories that you have to concentrate on so when you read the book again all the clues are there. I think only people who like to think about things will like this book. It’s the kind of book my sister and some friends won’t like because they like romance, so if you are looking for easy or romance this probably not a book for you. But if you like interesting fa ...more
Cat
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked the family, the story from the past, the main charatcer and the cats. I found the science and genetic information good and I liked the histor of the Olmecs but it did mean I want the next one. I'm glad it will be here soon.
Priscilla Martin
Loved it and couldn't put it down! Right up my alley - good mystery with a little history. Can not wait for the next one.
Yvette
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and the second one in the series because it was said to be similar to the Amelia Peabody series. My reviews for both books are the same and thank you to NetGalley for the books.

Even though the protagonist in this series Elizabeth has a different personality to Amelia's these books reminded me of Crocodile on the Sandbank. Elizabeth Pimms could be Amelia Peabody's long lost Australian cousin.

The archaeology in these books was as good if not better than Amelia Peabody as there wa
Angela
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great for readers of cosy mystery and history and family drama.

Having now read this book and the next in the series I can say both books were great reads especially the history and the forensics. They're well written, kept me guessing to the end and the author obviously knows the subjects. The Olmecs and Mayans (second book) were both intriguing cultures but a bit sickening and upsetting with some of their cultural practices but then maybe that's true for all cultures.

Reading these books made
D.Ann
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a bibliophile, if you love libraries or ancient history, if you are drawn to warm and comforting homes, families, or foods - then you need to read this book. If you happen to love all of those things, then this book is a short trip to a very happy place. The protagonist is a librarian with a background in archaeology and her time is split between the two pursuits. So you get information about the inner workings of running a library and also about archaeological research. I loved this ...more
Kymmie Maree
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the story grabbed me from the very start. Opened page 1 on a flight to Sydney and was surprised that we appeared to get there so quickly and I had to put it away to disembark. Easy to read and easy to understand even though I’m not an archaeologist. I love a good mystery and this didn’t disappoint. I am looking forward to Book #2 in the series.
Laura Jones
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully written story that engages the reader from the beginning, interesting plot lines and characters with good development and scope for further adventures! I found it very difficult to put down and eagerly await the next book in the series!
Serena Armstrong
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this beautifully crafted, well-researched and engaging novel. The author described the settings well, and the Olmec chapters were particularly gripping. I anticipated this novel to be focussed solely on the exploration of historical sites, but the events that occurred in Elizabeth's social life drew me in as well. I saw Elizabeth as a person, not just a clever detective, and sympathised with her in the many ups and downs that occur in this novel. Her reactions are re ...more
Peter Lees
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L.J.M Owen is a lovely writer. Her first venture into novels with the Olmec Obituary is sure to be a success. This is the first novel in a series. The 'who done it' archaeological mystery is set in Canberra, Australia, with Dr. Elizabeth Pimms (Archaeologist and Librarian) asked to assist with the investigation of some ancient skeletons from an archaeological site in Mexico. But, there are inconsistencies!! Say no more....
Written in the same archaeological vein as Elizabeth Peters, this novel ha
Eliesha
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, and I read in record time for me. The characters are easy to relate to and you really feel like you are shadowing Elizabeth through the book. The story grabs you with the first chapter and I found it really difficult to put it down as the story became more intriguing with twists and turns. I also love the fact the the author included the recipes for the delicious food that Elizabeth's family made. I highly recommend this book and can't wait for the next book in the se ...more
Emma Biggs
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book! I'm an archaeologist who studied in Canberra and coincidentally work at the library which inspired the Mahoney Griffin, so I loved all the familiar location details, as well as the incredibly accurate archaeological techniques and processes. Can't wait to read more about Dr. Pimms, Intermillenial Sleuth!!
Gerry
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love cozy mysteries so this is perfect. I got a copy of this for the holidays. I read it in 2 nights and I love it. Exactly what it said on the cover. Skeletons and soup and libraries and it was hard to work out the answer. I was annoyed it was the only one as not all the mysteries are answered by the end. My cousin whose 15 is reading it now and said she likes it too.
Scott Quinn
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! Elizabeth was a great character, and I'm looking forward to the second in the series! It kept me guessing till the end.
Tamara Petersen
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. I enjoyed it so much, I can not wait for the authors next offering.
Melinda Anders
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. It was light and looking forward to next book in the series.
Kerrie
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Her father's unexpected and untimely death means that Dr Elizabeth Pimms, forensic archaeologist and Egyptologist, has to abandon work she is doing in Egypt to return to her family in Canberra and take work as a librarian, so that she can provide financial support for her brother and sister and extended family.

She is approached to do some voluntary weekend work in Canberra working on the bones of 17 skeletons retrieved from an Olmec cave in Mexico. Her work is to be unpaid because the supervisor
Susan Johnston
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Princess Fuzzypants here:
Let me start by saying I hate cliffhangers. This book has a whopper of a cliffhanger that left me feeling a bit cheated which is why I am not giving it the full five purrs. Having said that, I do understand the motive behind it and will look forward to reading more of Elizabeth's exploits.
She is a truly interesting heroine. She is brilliant with a mind that captures images and is able to access them as her phrenic library. Because she is so smart, like many very smart hu
Andrew Lee
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olmec Obituary is a fantastic story that is very well crafted. I found it very hard to put down.

I usually read sci-fi, fantasy and horror, although I have been known to enjoy a good mystery, such as in this case.
The unique format of the story captured my imagination early and kept it for the entire book. I found the characters to be realistic and believable. The archaeological detail, especially the description of the Great Ballcourt, inspired me to look up further information about the Olmec c
Catherine McMahon
Fantastic novel. Combined my favourites of books and history nicely. Can't wait for next book in Intermillennial Sleuth Series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Conditions of Faith
  • Maurice Guest
  • Ida
  • The Soldier's Curse (Monsarrat #1)
  • Bereft
  • Cursed in the Act (Bram Stoker Mystery #1)
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
  • The Hot Guy
  • Dreamwalker
  • The Fix
  • Through the Cracks
  • Poet's Cottage
  • On the Blue Train
  • Gods of Gold (DI Tom Harper, #1)
  • The Mamur Zapt and the Return of the Carpet (Mamur Zapt, #1)
  • The Dangerous Bride
  • Skin Deep (Harry Hendrick #1)
Dr L.J.M. Owen escapes dark and shadowy days as a public servant by exploring the comparatively lighter side of life: murder, mystery and forgotten women's history. An Australian author, archaeologist and librarian with a PhD in palaeogenetics, L.J.’s focus is on transforming science and history into accessible fiction with a broad appeal.

A passionate advocate for reclaiming women’s history, L.J.

Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth (3 books)
  • Mayan Mendacity (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth #2)
  • Egyptian Enigma (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth, #3)
“Elizabeth sank into the leather wing chair in the library of her mind and began to read.” 2 likes