Jump to ratings and reviews

Reinventing Organizations: An Illustrated Invitation to Join the Conversation on Next-Stage Organizations

The uplifting message of Reinventing Organizations has resonated with readers all over the world, and they have turned it, one conversation at a time, into a word-of-mouth phenomenon. The book has helped shift the conversation from what's broken with management today to what's possible. It is inspiring thousands of organizations--corporations and nonprofits, schools and hospitals--to adopt radically more powerful, soulful, and purposeful practices.

The book resonates widely, but not everyone has time to devote to a dense 360-page management book. This illustrated version conveys the main ideas of the original book and shares many of its real-life stories in a lively, engaging way. Don't be surprised if you find it hard to put down and end up reading it almost in one sitting. Welcome to the conversation on next-stage organizations!

172 pages, Paperback

7 books157 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
13 (1%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 89 reviews
Profile Image for Jim Puskas.
Author 1 book95 followers
August 11, 2020
This book reminds me so much of some of the studies, initiatives, “breakthrough exercises” and so on that I suffered through during my 45 years of working for a number of different organizations (all but one of them in the private sector). I say “suffered through” because in every case, it became a frustrating experience because none of those exercises really succeeded in changing much of anything. There were various reasons why that was the case but I think the top reason was a lack of true commitment on the part of those involved, a shortage of courage to “let go”, a lack of patience and the impact of disruptive outside forces. Those are not excuses, just facts.
To begin with, let us admit to ourselves that this is an extremely optimistic and idealistic document. In common with any of the other thousands of books on reinventing (or transforming or getting rid of, or “flattening”) management, it speaks to the great benefits of its prescribed solution but carefully glosses over the many obstacles that have to be overcome; and the fact that the transformative process cannot simply implement the new structure and then leave it alone, to continue enjoying the benefits indefinitely; organizational change by its nature has to be an ongoing process, continually adapting to new challenges. There is no “magic bullet”.
All that said, there is no question in my mind that almost everything advocated in the book is workable — under the right circumstances and engaging the right people. Regrettably those conditions are rarely met and are usually difficult to sustain. It may be worthwhile to list a few of the obstacles that must be overcome:
1. Topping the list is human nature. We are genetically programmed to be competitive; the desire for upward mobility and a bigger slice of the pie (money, prestige, power) gets in the way of implementing a non-hierarchical organization. Overcoming that obstacle requires replacing an entire set of people, replacing “middle managers” and various functional silos with dedicated, self-managed teams. But it doesn’t stop there: some of those in the organization will not function well in that setting, which doesn’t appear to satisfy their desire for personal success and there will always have to be a “weeding out” process (which can become messy and contentious).
2. Lack of unlimited freedom to act: It’s rare that a top executive has the power to implement such sweeping changes. Publicly traded companies are virtual slaves to investment dealers and banks who interface with shareholders, all of them focused on short term financial results; and rating agencies who are believers in traditional hierarchies. To overcome that obstacle, the person in charge must have the extraordinary authority and courage to implement a wholesale removal of all existing layers of management and have a free hand to stay the course, even if the change takes many months or even years to roll out. Only a person who owns the business (or at least has a total controlling interest in it) can sometimes do it.
I had occasion to visit Milliken & Co. in South Carolina some years ago; Roger Milliken’s family owned the business, which enabled him to implement a wholesale re-org, including several self-managed plants, operated by self-acting teams with no manager; I very much doubt that he would have been allowed such leeway in a public corporation.
3. Difficulty of team dynamics: Let’s face it, in any group of a dozen workers there is bound to be at least one person who take every opportunity to sacrifice the team interest in favor of their own personal interests (checks out early, seeks the easiest or most pleasant work, never volunteers for anything extra, etc.) This causes internal tension and destroys team morale. To overcome this, the team members must have the authority to impose team discipline and cooperation, including the authority to hire and dismiss members. Doing so is certain to trigger legal problems, claims of favoritism, wrongful dismissal. And if there’s a union, the team structure will never get off the ground because unions are by their nature hierarchical and usually combative.
4. Politics: Need I say more? The political animal cannot resist any opportunity for personal aggrandisement, which precludes team dynamics. Public pressures, avoidance of controversy, gerrymandering, backbiting and the urge to exert authority all conspire against any move toward a self-governing structure.
So: is this book well written? Yes. Are the concepts valid? Of course; and the principles presented can be very useful in getting organizations to re-think their approaches. The examples given prove their own worth. But they are all “special cases” where the owners were in a position to address most of the obstacles. The stories may be inspiring and are to be celebrated. But any suggestion that this is easy stuff to do is misleading.
Profile Image for Ruth.
72 reviews26 followers
September 20, 2021
This is a very quick and interesting book to read. The ideas presented in it already gained big following around the world.
I will keep reading on the subject since I feel that these ideas are necessary and that in light of all the changes that the world is undergoing during these times (Covid-19) new ways of running organisations, such as the ones described in this book, are more relevant and accessible (and necessary) than ever.
Profile Image for Jordan Munn.
179 reviews2 followers
March 5, 2018
The ideas presented are interesting ones, but compressing the original book into this illustrated version is a move in the wrong direction and blunt the message into a more condescending tone. This is not helped by the illustrations, which evolve into caricatures resembling chick tracts.
Profile Image for Phuongvu.
479 reviews62 followers
April 27, 2020
Em đã đọc xong Tái tạo tổ chức. Ôi khao khát xây dựng nên 1 tổ chức màu xanh ngọc quá. Tổ chức xanh ngọc tôn trọng con người 1 cách tuyệt đối, tin tưởng tuyệt đối. Một giấc mơ rất đáng để mơ và hướng tới.
27.4.2020: sinh nhật một người em yêu quý đã rất lâu ko gặp🥰
Profile Image for Gabriel Chartier.
16 reviews1 follower
November 6, 2022
Amazing little illustrated handbook for the future of organizations.

It's radical enough that we might not see this next way of working truly take off for a couple generations but there are a few corporations who have pioneered it and if I'm to be a part of a corporation, I'll certainly be working to move it to the ideals presented within this book.

It brought to life many ideas I've been thinking about but haven't been able to articulate, namely self-management, distributed authority, and transparent and free information flows.

I also can't help but see this model of cooperation enabling global distributed organizations as DAOs and other types of digital organizations take form in the coming years.

It's an exciting time to be alive, human consciousness is advancing into a network.
Profile Image for Holly Lê.
427 reviews108 followers
August 11, 2022
Nội dung tốt, nhiều hình (màu) minh hoạ, chỉ có cái tựa hơi "đại ngôn". Quyển sách phù với đối tượng đọc là chủ doanh nghiệp, lãnh đạo, quản lý hơn các cấp thấp (vì sẽ hơi khó ứng dụng).
Profile Image for Juuso.
42 reviews1 follower
June 16, 2022
I remember being blown away by Reinventing Organizations (the full version) a few years back - while still wondering if any of the ideas could work in practice.

Now, having worked in a (mostly) teal company for three years, my reading experience of this short version is much different - mostly because I've seen it work in practice.

Reading the book is risky, though - I got so disillusioned with my previous employer I just had to find a place I believed in. On the other hand, that's one of the best choices I've made - and now I can hardly imagine working for another Orange company.
Profile Image for Alexis.
84 reviews2 followers
May 27, 2021
Sách đẹp, điểm cộng rất lớn về mặt thiết kế. Nội dung được viết theo từng cột, k dàn cả trang, rất dễ đọc. Lượng kiến thức truyền tải k nhiều, vừa đủ, đọc k bị bội thực
Mình chưa từng gặp qua tổ chức xanh ngọc nào ở Việt Nam, toàn là màu cam. Mình cũng rất tò mò về cách thức hoạt động của tổ chức xanh ngọc trong thực tế. Cá nhân mình tương đối giống 1 cá nhân xanh ngọc: tự quản tốt, sống trọn vẹn, duy có cái tư tưởng cấp tiến là hơi fail 😂
Mong 1 ngày đc làm việc trong tổ chức xanh ngọc cho nó sang con người
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Chou2811.
76 reviews6 followers
March 10, 2021
Sách siêu siêu hay (nhất là đối với đứa không biết mình phù hợp với loại hình công việc và môi trường nào)
Profile Image for Robert Gistvik.
44 reviews
October 13, 2021
Good overview of how organizations have evolved (or not) over the years and how we can make people the most powerful they can be in their respective roles. It's a bit "idealistic" and maybe not as critical to its own ideas, but truly inspiring.
Profile Image for Mika Kuusisto.
2 reviews1 follower
March 4, 2022
The original is one of my all time favorites and this illustrated version was excellent and easier read that I'll recommend to everyone!
Profile Image for Marcelo Bahia.
86 reviews48 followers
October 24, 2020
Thank God I chose the illustrated shorter version of this. Another one of those “you should try this unusual approach and radically improve how your firm works” type of books who just overlooks the practical limits that specific circumstances and environments bring.

The book starts diagnosing everything that could be possibly wrong in modern companies, and of course your firm will have some of those too. Nothing out of the obvious, though. Yes, employee engagement is difficult. Yes, hierarchy and the command-and-control way of doing business are not flexible and don’t work as well anymore as in the past given the higher complexity of today’s business environments. Yes, performance reviews suck. Yes, we all hate the excess of meetings. Yes, we all find the budgeting exercise frustrating and sometimes futile. Can I stop here or you are not tired yet of reading about issues you’re already familiar with? If this paragraph made you tired, imagine expanding it into dozens and dozens of pages, accompanied by silly childish illustrations that don’t bring additional value to the message in the text.

“How harsh from your part, Marcelo. Of course the book needs to repeat all these problems! It must do so to show you the corporate Holy Grail of where your company needs to be and how it’s different from where you are right now. And then showing how to make the bridge from where you are to where you need to be.”

Indeed, fine point. I should strive to be less grumpy about books like these even though the abundance and frequency of useless management writing make it hard to do so. And the book indeed talks about the corporate Holy Grail, this beautiful and perfect state where people are perfectly trusted, given full autonomy, keep their ego out of the door, can work in teams perfectly well without free-riding problems and don’t need formal targets in order to keep delivering good results. What a sweet and wonderful world.

As I contemplated all of this, my irritation with the obvious diagnosis featured in the first few sections of the book was only kept in check because I was eager to learn how to actually put at least some of this good stuff in practice. I might not be able to reach the Holy Grail, but I could at least try to be somewhere closer to it. And this was the “screw it all, this thing is really crap” moment of the book. How to implement all of these wonderful practices? Ladies and gentlemen, let the correspondent section of the book speak for itself:

“The question I get asked most often these days is: “How can I transform my existing organization?” Jean-François Zobrist (the CEO who helped the brass foundry and automotive supplier FAVI adopt self- management) always replies to this question with the shortest of answers: “Démerdez-vous“.

I’m too polite to translate this literally, but it means something like, “You go figure it out!” What he wants to say, in his own provocative style, is: there is no recipe. If you are serious about this, you’ll find a way. You are smart and resourceful enough to figure it out. You won’t get everything right, but a way will open. I agree with him. There is no recipe. And I’ve come to believe that if the CEO really wants this (and if the board lets him— remember the second necessary condition), it will happen. We know it can be done. FAVI did it. AES acquired dozens of traditionally run power plants all over the world and managed, time and time again, to transform them. And since the book Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness came out, I have heard from many organizations that are making the leap to Teal. The simplest lesson I’ve learned from this is that every journey is truly unique. Which is, I guess, a fig leaf to say: these are early days. We don’t know much yet about how such journeys unfold, as most companies are still in the middle of it. We simply lack in-depth research about it. So I can’t offer any definitive answers when people ask me, “How can I transform my existing organization?”.”

Yes, what the f***. WHAT THE F***. Are you serious that I dragged myself for 2 days through some trashy business book so I can hear in the end that “I’m smart and I should be able to figure it out by myself because others have done it before and we don’t have in-depth research about it”. Vas te perdre, I’m taking my reading somewhere else and you should do it too.
Profile Image for Quinton.
352 reviews1 follower
July 8, 2018
The point of this book is to help fix what's broken in today's organizational structures and management.
This is a light read, full of illustrations, but apparently gets to the point of the fuller text (which I haven't read).

The idea behind this book, is that there are different management paradigms that have been used over the years, and are still being used.

There's Red - the power structure. The most powerful is the leader, and he is boss. (Think organized crime). People serve out of loyalty and fear. These can be very entrepreneurial and react quickly, since the power is concentrated in one person at the top.

Amber - Conformists - everyone knows what's expected of them, and they serve a common belief. THey follow because of guilt and shame. The decisions happen at the top, execution at the bottom. There is a right way of doing things, it's black and white. They have trouble with change. (Think school systems, or organized religion).

Orange - achievement focused - The organization is a machine, and efficiency is key. Continous improvement and innovation are constantly aimed for. Whatever we can do to make a buck. (Think any public company). The CEO and board have a lot of power here, but not all the information, since they're so busy and hard to get a hold of.

Green - pluralistic - the organization is a family. This is all about empowerment, and values-driven culture, and considering stakeholder value instead of just shareholder value. (Think most non-profits). Emphasis is on consensus, so it's really hard to make any decisions or change.

And then we have the next generation of management practices - Teal. This is the evolutionary worldview, where an organization is a complex organism (if you make a change, you really don't know what will happen, because it's full of people who aren't 100% predictable). This is about listening to who we are meant to be and striving for wholeness. It means getting rid of the hierarchy and building self-managed teams (the goal is not to make everyone equal, but to make everyone fully powerful). Decisions are made by the people who are impacted to them. Targets are eliminated.

It's a great read, full of examples of companies that are actually doing this.
Profile Image for Nguyen Huu Anh Vu.
120 reviews8 followers
January 10, 2021
Tìm hiểu thêm ở đây https://reinventingorganizationswiki....

Một quyển sách ngắn, gọn về Mô hình xanh ngọc - một mô hình vận hành Tổ Chức cấp tiến, hòa hợp thiên nhiên. Sách có hình minh họa, sinh động, trực quan.
Thiết nghĩ để có 1 tổ chức vừa đạt năng suất cao, vừa có nhân viên cống hiến, vừa có khách hàng hài lòng sẽ cần một cách tổ chức tinh vi, quy trình làm việc chặt chẽ. Nhưng không cần vậy, độ dài quyển sách cũng một phần phản ánh điều đó.

Ý hay
- Tổ chức xanh ngọc như 1 hệ sinh thái, các bộ phận hoạt động độc lập nhưng vẫn hòa hợp với nhau. Khi có thay đổi thì hệ sinh thái tự thích nghi theo sao cho hợp lý. Thay đổi diễn ra nhanh và tích cực hơn. So với mô hình phân cấp cũ (kim tự tháp), thay đổi đến từ bên trên, có khi cả tháng cả năm mới thay đổi được.
- 3 bước đột phá: Tự quản lý, Sự trọn vẹn (cống hiến hết mình), Mục tiêu cấp tiến (Phấn đấu vì mục tiêu hòa hợp với con người, môi trường xung quanh)

Hành động sau khi đọc
- Đọc kĩ, ngâm cứu rồi tìm cách hướng dẫn sếp đến với con đường xanh ngọc này
Profile Image for Kim Wollesen.
25 reviews1 follower
February 14, 2019
An inspiring book about next-stage organisations. It's not all that makes sense to me straight away since it is far from what we are used to in the modern business world.
However, the gut feeling about this shift in management practice is just unbelievably good, and I have a feeling that this is what the world needs in terms of leadership to save the planet!
Big words, but this is what we need in politics and modern society if we want to live a healthier more sustainable life.
Profile Image for Mixu.
15 reviews
July 4, 2021
Điều "kỳ lạ" đằng sau tổ chức hơn 9.000 nhân viên tại Hà Lan.
--------------
Tại Hà Lan, “Buurtzorg” - nghĩa là “chăm sóc tại khu phố”, cho phép các y tá đóng vai trò như “huấn luyện viên sức khỏe” cho những bệnh nhân của họ, tư vấn cho họ cách giữ gìn sức khỏe, chăm sóc các nhu cầu của họ và cho phép y tá có quyền chủ động trong quá trình chăm sóc sức khỏe bệnh nhân.

Sẽ rất ngạc nhiên khi tổ chức với hơn 9.000 người làm việc ở Buurtzorg, không ai là sếp của ai, vận hành không theo hệ thống kim tự tháp, không hề có quản lý. Chắc bạn thấy điều này khó tin, nhưng đó là sự thật. Buurtzorg đã vận hành trơn tru nhờ áp dụng triệt để mô hình xanh ngọc (được mô tả khá kỹ trong cuốn sách Tái tạo tổ chức của tác giả Frederic Laloux).

Vậy cách mà Buurtzorg đã vận hành tổ chức khác với các tổ chức truyền thống như nào?

🌵 Trước hết là không theo hệ thống cấp bậc mà là “tự quản”.

Nhiều người với niềm tin nhóm từ 5 người trở lên cần lãnh đạo để ra quyết định. Nhưng sự thật rằng các tổ chức lớn cần một cấu trúc và các cơ cấu phối hợp, và sẽ vận hành mạnh mẽ hơn nếu không có người lãnh đạo!

Ngày nay, các CEO và lãnh đạo cấp cao luôn kiệt sức vì phải làm quá nhiều việc. Tất cả các quyết định yêu cầu sự phối hợp hay tầm nhìn sâu rộng đều phải thông qua lãnh đạo (hoạt động theo mô hình kim tự tháp). Khi độ phức tạp tăng lên, mô hình kim tự tháp sẽ tan vỡ. Những người ở cấp cao nhất dù thông minh đến đâu cũng không đủ khả năng để nắm bắt và giải quyết hết các vấn đề phức tạp.

Thế giới này đang trở nên quá phức tạp nên chúng ta không thể tiếp tục vận hành theo cấu trúc kim tự tháp được truyền lại từ vài ngàn năm trước. Và giờ ta đã biết cách vận hành các tổ chức lớn mà không cần đến bộ máy lãnh đạo.

Tại Buurtzorg có hơn 9.000 nhân viên và không hề có sếp hay quản lý gì hết. Buurtzorg chia mỗi đội ngũ cơ bản có từ 10-12 y tá tự quản. Hiện tại có đến 800 nhóm như vậy trên khắp đất nước Hà Lan. Trong các đơn vị này không có nhóm trưởng, các công tác quản lý được chia đều trong nhóm.

Trên các nhóm này cũng không có quản lý. Cứ mỗi 40-50 nhóm trong một khu vực sẽ có một người hướng dẫn khu vực (regional coach) để khi có khó khăn gì thì các nhóm có thể gọi điện xin giúp đỡ. Người hướng dẫn này không có quyền gì đối với nhóm, cũng không phải đạt chỉ tiêu nào hay chịu trách nhiệm gì về lợi nhuận. Người này chỉ có nhiệm vụ giúp đỡ và hướng dẫn nhưng vai trò của họ cực kỳ quan trọng.

Vậy vai trò của các trụ sở? Trụ sở của Buurtzorg chỉ có 28 người, đa số chịu trách nhiệm các công việc hành chính như làm việc trực tiếp với hệ thống an sinh quốc gia Hà Lan.

🌵 Thứ 2, mang đến sự trọn vẹn nơi công sở

Chẳng hiểu sao trong mỗi tổ chức luôn tồn tại những áp lực tế nhị, khiến cho hầu như ai cũng phải đeo chiếc mặt nạ của sự chuyên nghiệp. Nhân viên sợ rằng nếu thể hiện bản chất thật tại nơi công sở, thì có khả năng họ sẽ để lộ điểm yếu của mình và bị cười chê hay trách móc. Đa số chúng ta đều cho rằng tốt nhất là hành xử có chừng mực, rằng hãy che giấu bản ngã.

Chính sự “tự quản” giúp làm giảm đi những nỗi sợ thầm kín thường gặp nơi công sở. Khi không còn vị sếp nào để làm vui lòng, không còn cấp dưới nào để quản lý, một phần lớn độc tố trong tổ chức được thanh tẩy. Và điều kỳ diệu là có một luồng sinh khí và sức sống ở những công sở này chưa từng được thấy ở những nơi khác.

Các nhân viên khám phá ra, một cách đầy kinh ngạc, rằng họ vẫn còn nhiều sức sống hơn mình tưởng. Công việc trở thành phương tiện để các đồng nghiệp giúp nhau bộc lộ khả năng tiềm ẩn và thực hiện lý tưởng của mình. Phần lớn những điều khiến nơi công sở trở nên khó chịu và kém hiệu quả đều biến mất.

Thử tưởng tượng xem một ngày bạn đi làm còn con cái của bạn được trông nom tại nhà trẻ ở công ty, được mang theo chú chó của mình đến công ty,... Cho phép chó hay trẻ con vào nơi làm việc không phải là điều gì to tát, nhưng nó lại rất không thông dụng. Một số người sẽ bảo rằng trẻ con hoặc thú vật sẽ khiến chúng ta bị phân tâm khi làm việc. Thực tế thì mọi người sẽ bộc lộ khía cạnh yêu thương và chăm sóc nhiều hơn. Chính vì thế mà mối quan hệ và cuộc sống của chúng ta sẽ tốt hơn, sẽ cảm thấy thích thú với công việc hơn.

Hãy biến công ty là nơi giúp ta đạt đến sự trọn vẹn - nơi lý tưởng để mỗi nhân viên khám phá những khía cạnh của bản thân mà chính họ cũng không nhận thấy.

🌵 Thứ 3, “mục tiêu cấp tiến” chứ không phải là “sứ mệnh cao cả”

Đa phần ở các công ty truyền thống hình thành một sứ mệnh để tạo cho nhân viên nguồn cảm hứng và định hướng tương lai. Các nhà quản trị thì vận hành dựa trên mong muốn dự đoán và kiểm soát tương lai, và sau đó họ phải đảm bảo thực hiện đúng các chiến lược đó.

Điều gì sẽ xảy ra khi môi trường kinh doanh thay đổi liên tục? Liệu chiến lược hoạch định 5 năm có còn phù hợp ở năm thứ 5?

Ở mô hình xanh ngọc như Buurtzorg, CEO có xu hướng nhìn nhận tổ chức không phải như một cỗ máy, mà là một sinh vật có năng lượng riêng, định hướng riêng, mục đích tồn tại riêng của mình. Thay vì cố gắng tiên đoán và tìm cách đạt được mục tiêu đề ra, họ chỉ cần lắng nghe hướng chuyển động của tổ chức rồi giúp tổ chức đạt được điều đó. Với họ tổ chức sẽ hiệu quả hơn nhiều nếu liên tục đón đầu những cơ hội mới và thích nghi cho phù hợp, thay vì làm một bài tập chiến lược lớn mỗi vài năm và gắn bó với kế hoạch trong thời gian đó.

#Tái_tạo_tổ_chức
#reinventing_organizations
#Buurtzorg
#Frederic_Laloux
50 reviews3 followers
April 4, 2019
What is the one thing I most value about working with you? and What is one area where I sense you
could change and grow?

Beyond Strategy - execution. They tend to see the organization not as a machine, but as a living organism that has its own energy, its own sense of direction, its own purpose to manifest in the world. The role of leaders—of everyone really— becomes much simpler. Rather than trying to predict and force a future into existence, they simply can listen to where the organization naturally wants to go ... and then help the organization get there. When we do this, we always sail with the wind at our back. We go from predict-and-control to something much more powerful: sense-and-respond.
** thus the future is design thinking. Empathy. Building a career as a facilitator

think about it: wouldn’t it be much more powerful if an organization constantly listened to new opportunities and adapted accordingly, instead of doing a big strategic exercise every few years and sticking to the plan in the meantime?** the question is what sorts of mechanisms are needed to enable this

This question goes back to a common misunderstanding—the goal is not to give everyone the exact same power. It is to make everyone powerful.

Such little evidence in this book. For example, "Sometimes I get asked if some sectors might be of-limits for Teal—for instance, highly regulated sectors like banking. I don’t believe that to be the case. AES has operated power plants based on the advice process, and the energy sector is one of the most highly regulated." ** you can't take one case and generalize. You need a threshold to make a theory true.

On transforming an existing organization, I sort of get this perspective. I guess I'm kind of living through that. The boss allows staff to move in their own way. "I don't know" The workplace has decentralized. There are several places of power. Empowered individuals. It is painful for those who are so used to hierarchy and status and clear rules, but it has indeed opened up a place and space for those who are willing and capable of figuring it out and making their own way.

What is your mental model for change?

So how can you help a complex system trans-
form? Just think carefully about the first step
you want to take, and perhaps the second that
might follow. And then listen carefully, in the
spirit of sense-and-respond. To stay with the
metaphor: if we want to untangle the spaghetti
bowl, we start by looking at it from all sides,
and when we think we have found the most
promising strand of spaghetti to pull on, we
start to do so carefully. If it keeps coming, we
keep pulling. If we seem to hit a knot, then
it’s time to pause, take a good look again, and
start pulling somewhere else.
** I suppose this is how I work. I don't know how to plan from A-Z. But I know how to get started, and by focusing on step by step, I've taught myself how to complete my projects. How to execute through to the end.

"The truth is that our organizations are so complex that however smart we are, we can't predict what will happen when we introduce even big changes."
New, unexpected opportynities might open up that we can seize. And certainly some parts of the system will scream because something is out of balance. So let’s start with the one or two changes that make most sense for now, and then listen carefully for the next change the system is calling for. This requires a new stance from leaders, a stance that shows confdence and a strong commitment to the journey, as well as a wil- lingness to say openly that any pretense of a comprehensive, up-front plan would be comforting, but an illusion. And that change is never entirely painless; for a while, things will be out of balance and confusing.
** I get the thing about how hierarchies can cause stress and anxiety. For myself, when I position myself as the boss, I have to take on the added stress of having it all figured out. I feel like I have to have all of the answers, but I don't, and I can't. If I can empower my members more, then we can work through it together.

What's the level of psychological ownership in your organization?

* Look at the images in this book for change management processes. Pg. 143-144. These triangles may be useful for you in the future in terms of consulting on change management.

Trust will always be abused at some point; that’s part of life. The question is not should we keep
trusting or stop trusting? Rather, it is: does our system have the ability to self-correct quickly
or not? >> the issue is that people do not trust strangers. I'm thinking about ADB in reading about the travel expenses part. Technically, the argument from the them about the rule books is that it is tax payer dollars so they have to track how spending is done. Since taxpayers are far and flung, they cannot trust the organization to use their money effectively. But then you can look at it like this - the ADB pays business class flights above 4 hours. Cmon. Taxpayers are not looking into what it costs for ADBers to fly around the region. How big is the expense line? Doubt that big.

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Bogdan Florin.
116 reviews44 followers
April 13, 2020
A new paradigm of organizational development. Laroux put together a framework to detach from hierarchies and approach cutting-edge collaborative styles.

Laroux describes what companies like Buurtzorg, ESBZ, FAVI, Morning Star or Patagonia have in common, and why they are different than the rest. The differences are explained from an evolutionary point of view and are colored-coded. It's super simple to understand the concepts due to the beautifully designed colored illustrations.

The new model comes with a number of important breakthroughs: Self-management, wholeness, and evolutionary purpose.

Some best practices of Teal organizations:
Self-management
- self-organizing teams
- coaches w/o P&L responsibility when needed
- almost no staff functions
- coordination and meetings ad hoc when needs arise
- radically simplified project management,
- minimum plans & budgets
- fluid and granular roles
- decision making fully decentralized (advice process)
- transparent real-time information sharing incl, financials
- anybody can spend any amount of money provided advice process is respected
- the formal multi-step conflict resolution process
- focus on team performance-based a peer-based process for individual appraisals
- self-set salaries with peer calibration, no bonus, profit sharing

Wholeness:
-self-decorated warm spaces without status markers
-clear values translated into explicit ground rules,
-ongoing values discussion
-quiet room, meditation practices, team supervision, peer coaching
-storytelling practices to support self-disclosure and
-community building
-absence of job titles and descriptions to allow selfhood
-to shape roles
-honest discussion about individual time commitments
-regular time devoted to addressing conflicts
-specific meeting practices keep ego at check
-distributed initiatives taking
-recruitment interviews by future colleagues focus on fit with the organization
-personal freedom for training, focus on culture-building
-personal inquiry into one‘s learning journey and calling
-caring support to turn dismissal into a learning opportunity

Evolutionary:
-organization is seen as a living entity with its own evolutionary purpose
-strategy emerges organically from the collective intelligence of self-managing employees
-decision making by listening to the organization‘s purpose. (everyone, large group, meditations…)
- concept of competition irrelevant (embraced to pursue purpose)
- growth and market share only important in as much they
- help achieve purpose
- profit as a lagging indicator: will come naturally when doing
- the right thing
- inside out marketing: the offer is defined by purpose
- „sense and respond“ planning/budgeting/controlling
- no or radically simplified budgets, no tracking of variance; no targets
- „change management“ no longer relevant as organization constantly adapts from within
- suppliers were chosen by fit with the purpose
- total transparency invites outsiders to make suggestions to better bring about purpose
- conscious sensing of what mood would serve best

Assumptions of teal organizations:
- Trust, open and Informed decision making,
- Each one is responsible and accountable, everyone has equal worth,
- The workplace is safe and caring,
- The workplace overcomes separations,
- Problems are opportunities to learn and gain feedback to do better.
- There is a collective purpose, power is distributed, continuous learning, less energy wasted with ego, compliance, and meetings.

Such organizations are better at sensing, the realities and act accordingly, make better, and more timely decision making, with more clarity and wisdom.

Each alone could make a positive difference at your organization. The important thing is to decide
what works best for you and your organization and to start experimenting.

A superb presentation about the concept can be found here: http://www.reinventingorganizations.c...

“The most exciting breakthroughs of the twenty-first century will not occur because of technology, but because of an expanding concept of what it means to be human. John Naisbitt”

“In a forest, there is no master tree that plans and dictates change when rain fails to fall or when the spring comes early. The whole ecosystem reacts creatively, at the moment.”

“Einstein once famously said that problems couldn’t be solved with the same level of consciousness that created them in the first place.”

“When trust is extended, it breeds responsibility in return. Emulation and peer pressure regulates the system better than hierarchy ever could.”

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. Richard Buckminster Fuller”
12 reviews
May 8, 2022
In each specific field, just as Adam Smith, Albert Einstein, and M.L. King who came around with radical ideas and system changes shook the world with their visionary audacity, normal people at the time might not acknowledge themselves witnessing history unfold. The same situation is also for the many of us who would not be open-minded enough to absorb this book.

This is a book about organizations, indeed, and how our management principles could transform from rigorous, unfulfilling for the involved members and leaders, to the flipped and opposite: liberating and fulfilling. For those who don't want to waste their lifetime working in an unhealthily stressed, or even withering themselves in companies of the modern age, you should find the alternative in this book, whether a member or a leader.

The author of this book, Frederic Laloux, consistently drew examples from this new type of organizations in the real world. He has left me pondering in the last paragraphs of this book, stating that "the founders of many organizations [he has] researched have come up with brilliant ideas, and this has occurred to thousands of others". If this means something, it's gently hinting the new reinvented organization is the new trend of the world, the Next Big Thing we are looking for that many managers have been identically ideating time and again, yet independently from unrelated, different corners of the world. Innovations and world-changing ideas therefore aren't exclusive to some people. Better yet, since the respective dreamers live in the same respective time, with considerably similar circumstances, big ideas are shared between complete strangers.

If you are open to new ideas, want to watch closely the up-and-coming world trends, and aspire to upskill yourself in new waters of management philosophies, you should read this book. Reinventing Organizations is an incredibly rich, visual, and informative book, I'm only rating 4/5 stars for the repetitive nature of the chapters. But after all, it's a good book worth reading.
Profile Image for Alexandra Graßler.
122 reviews17 followers
November 17, 2020
Das meine Lieben, ist mein absolutes Lieblingsbuch wenn es darum geht Organisationen und Firmen neu zu denken.

Reinventing organizations von Frederic Laloux ist ein absolutes Traumbuch.

Allerdings ist es nicht für alle geeignet, denn man muss in der Lage sein sich von althergebrachten Hierarchien zu lösen.

Dieses Buch hier ist die illustrierte Variante und auf die Kernthemen verdichtete Version des dicken Schmökers den er zuerst herausgegeben hat.

Doch wer einen Einstieg darin sucht und interessiert ist daran, wie sich Organisationen ganz neu gestalten lassen, durch Dezentralisierung und durch kollegiale Beratung dem ist dieses Buch sehr ans Herz gelegt.

Es werden sehr viele Beispiele beschrieben von großen Unternehmen mit tausenden von Mitarbeitern und auch kleineren Firmen die beginnen sich neu zu erfinden.

Hervorragend ist das Beispiel der häuslichen Pflege die er im Buch bringt.

Eine wirklich große Organisation die vollkommen dezentral funktioniert und Pflegekräften die Möglichkeit gibt sich so einzubringen wie sich das wünschen, den Patienten das zu geben was sie brauchen und die Freude an der Arbeit zu behalten.

Ich glaube, dass es sehr viele Leute gibt, die dieses Buch lesen sollten und sich neu Gedanken über die Organisation innerhalb ihres Unternehmens machen sollten.

Ja, ist erfordert Mut, neue Wege zu gehen. Und ja, damit ist auch ein verändertes Rollenverständnis verknüpft.

Doch es ist für alle Beteiligten ein unglaublich wertvoller Prozess, der dazu führen kann, dass Zufriedenheit wieder an oberste Stelle rückt und damit auch ein effektiveres und wertvolleres arbeiten. 5 Sterne von mir!
Profile Image for Huong Lien.
19 reviews1 follower
January 12, 2020
(Ghi chú: Review nhưng đúng hơn là đôi phần tóm lược của mình, nên các bạn lưu ý trước khi đọc - nếu không muốn biết trước nội dung ý)

Mở đầu cho việc giới thiệu về 1 ý tưởng tái tạo tổ chức kiểu mới là một diễn trình gọi tên các kiểu tổ chức đã và đang tồn tại.
(Nói là ý tưởng nhé, mặc dù tác giả - Frederic Laloux có những nghiên cứu trên những tổ chức thực tế nhưng vẫn khiêm tốn cho rằng thông điệp được nhắc đến là 1 ý tưởng mới. Rằng mỗi 1 tổ chức sẽ có sự vận động, biến đổi khác nhau và vì vậy, việc có 1 mô hình cố hữu áp dụng chung cho tất cả là không tưởng. Điều này cho phép giữ hay điều hướng cách tiếp cận của độc giả một cách mang tính tinh thần hơn là chờ đợi 1 cuốn sách hướng dẫn thực hành tái tạo tổ chức.
Thế rồi, tác giả gọi tên các dạng tổ chức, có thể nói là theo 1 lịch sử tiến hóa và gọi tên theo màu - chỉ đơn thuần là bởi khó hơn nếu gọi tên theo bản chất của nó.
- -
Ta sẽ thấy có những tổ chức kiểu này được nhắc đến:
1. Tổ chức với thế giới quan màu đỏ - bốc đồng, mà ví dụ điển hình là Mafia, băng đảng xã hội đen - ở đó, tất cả đều được nhìn qua lăng kính quyền lực.
2. Tổ ch���c với thế giới quan màu hổ phách - phục tùng, ví dụ như: quân đội, nhà thờ thiên chúa giáo (& 1 số tổ chức tôn giáo, tổ chức chính phủ, hệ thống trường công lập và đại học ngày nay vẫn vận hành theo kiểu tổ chức này - có bộ máy tổ chức ổn định, hệ thống thứ bậc rõ ràng.
3. Tổ chức với thế giới quan màu cam - thành tựu, đề cao sự đột phá của của cải, lợi nhuận, thị phần..., lấy ví dụ là các công ty niêm yết và các ngân hàng phố Wall
4. Tổ chức với thế giới quan màu xanh lá - phức hợp, với ý nghĩa tổ chức là các gia đình, ở đó cố gắng hạ thấp vai trò của cấp bậc và cố trao quyền cho nhân lực của mình, hay nền văn hóa được định hình bởi các giá trị & cũng chất vấn đến giá trị của các bên liên quan. Hãng hàng không Southwest, hãng kem Ben& Jerry's hay những tổ chức phi chính phủ, phi lợi nhuận, các tổ chức kinh doanh xã hội là những ví dụ.
Điều đáng quan tâm là, về khía cạnh này hay khía cạnh khác, những mô hình trên đều có những điểm tối nhất định.
Và,
5. Một mô hình mới - cấp tiến được gọi tên với thế giới quan màu xanh ngọc, nơi "mỗi cá nhân thể hiện mình", cũng được ví như 1 sinh vật sống hay 1 hệ sing thái. Câu chuyện của Buurtzorg - nhóm các y tá ở Hà Lan, Morning Star - công ty thu hoạch, vận chuyển và chế biến cà chua ở California, FAVI - sản xuất đồng thau, phụ tùng xe hơi Pháp... là những công ty trong nhóm12 công ty tiên phong được tác giả nghiên cứu và lấy làm ví dụ.

- -
Chia sẻ cá nhân vài chút: với mình, mình có nhiều câu hỏi đặt ra cho cơ chế này nhiều hơn là 1 tinh thần cổ vũ ngay từ khi tiếp cận - có lẽ thế(!), hoặc đó là tiến trình suy tư của mình khi nghĩ ngay về việc: làm thế nào để áp dụng đây (!)
Ví như chuyện tự quản: "mục đích tối thượng ko phải là để mọi ng có quyền lực bằng nhau, mà là để mọi ng đều hoàn toàn có quyền", [...], "mọi nhân viên đều phát triển tốt nhất, mạnh khỏe nhất so với chính bản thân họ".
Và rồi, các công tác quản lý được chia đều trong nhóm (như 1 ví dụ được nêu về Buurtzorg, mỗi nhóm gồm từ 10-12 y tá tự quản), thì 1 người sẽ chịu trách nhiệm lên kế hoạch cho cuối tuần, 1 người khác lo tuyển dụng, 1 người nữa chuyên liên lạc với địa phương... đúng như rằng mỗi người sẽ nổi trội hơn ở 1 mặt nào đó. Vấn đề mình đặt ra rằng, 1- vì những người này đều xuất phát từ chuyên môn nên nếu không ai muốn thực hiện công tác quản lý thì sao (là bởi, ít hay nhiều, đầu việc đó sẽ choán đi thời gian làm việc chuyên môn của họ)? Và 2- giả như công tác quản lý được phân chia, nhưng vì ko chuyên môn quản lý nên thời gian họ dành cho chúng sẽ tốn kém hơn, cũng mò mẫm nữa (ngay cả khi họ nắm quyền ra quyết định về mảng đó và có 1 cơ chế tham vấn bên cạnh), nghĩa là chưa tối ưu về mặt chuyên môn.
Vấn đề thời gian có thể được giải quyết phần nào nếu mỗi nhóm tự quản giới hạn ở 1 số lượng người (như ví dụ là 10-12 người). Có điều, vậy thì, mô hình này khó lòng nhân rộng, phải không?! Hay rằng, sẽ nên thừa nhận là, mỗi nhóm sẽ lại có tiến trình hay sự vận động, phát triển khác nhau, nên không cần đến 1 mô hình cố hữu và dập khuôn cho tất thảy?! Phân vân quá!
- -

Và, cũng có 1 số tinh thần mình khá ưng là: "bạn hoàn toàn có thể trốn sếp, nhưng mà trốn khỏi đồng nghiệp thì khó hơn nhiều". (ý này nói đến khi tác giả đề cập đến cơ chế tự quản - phần cuối)
Hay,
có những nhân viên nhận ra rằng công sở là nơi lý tưởng để khám phá những khía cạnh của bản thân mà chính họ cũng không nhận thấy. "Những va chạm xảy ra khi làm việc với người khác tạo ra cơ hội tuyệt vời để bạn khai phá các khía cạnh bản thân mà mình đã bỏ quên hoặc thường kiềm nén". (ý này nói đến khi tác giả đề cập đến sự trọn vẹn)
Và,
sự thay đổi là liên tục xảy đến như cách mà thế giới tự nhiên đã đang vận hành. Thuận theo tự nhiên, nghĩa rằng, đến 1 thời điểm, khi 1 số sinh vật cảm nhận được sự thay đổi trong môi trường và liên tục thay đổi để tìm câu trả lời, thì ắt sự thay đổi sẽ tự nhiên diễn ra thôi, mà chẳng cần quản trị sự thay đổi gì cả! Điều cốt yếu là quan sát, lắng nghe, cảm nhận & cứ như vậy, phản ứng liên tục, thường xuyên với sự thay đổi.
Ý tưởng về việc: "nếu bạn làm việc trong 1 tổ chức mà ở đó bạn có khả năng làm cho mọi việc xảy ra, có thể bộc lộ trọn vẹn con người mình khi làm việc..."
Đó cũng là 3 phân mục được tác giả đi sâu phân tích khi tiếp cận với tổ chức có thế giới quan màu xanh ngọc: 1- sự tự quản, 2- sự trọn vẹn và 3- mục tiêu cấp tiến.
- -
Và trước những băn khoăn và đặt câu hỏi, tác giả khuyến khích việc tự thân mạnh mẽ. Đó là: "hãy đi theo nguồn năng lượng". "Bạn nên thiên về tự quản, hay thiên về sự trọn vẹn, hay mục tiêu cấp tiến? Khi bạn rõ ràng được điểm này, bạn sẽ dễ dàng nhìn thấy các bước cần làm trước tiên." Có lẽ là vậy, sự nóng ruột, sự chưa biết trước phía trước sẽ trông ra sao, thế nào, có lẽ cũng sẽ là một nguồn sinh lực để dẫn đường cho mình!
Có điều, sẽ hữu ích hơn nếu sự thay đổi đến từ "CEO", vế còn lại của sự lắng nghe là "lắng nghe tổ chức", xem rằng: "sự thay đổi nào sẽ sinh ra nhiều năng lượng nhất? Năng lượng hiện đang bị tắc nghẽn hay đang chờ được giải phóng hiện đang nằm ở chỗ nào?" (Và khi nghĩ về điều đó, mình nhận ra sự thu hút của mình đến từ mục tiêu cấp tiến)...
Đôi điều ghi vắn lại ở đây cho việc đọc lần đầu và "luộc" thêm 1 lượt chung ^^
Profile Image for Illya.
2 reviews2 followers
February 25, 2020
I really enjoyed reading this very accessible, illustrated summary of Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness. As someone who’s not ready yet to get into all the fine details of “how exactly does this work,” this shorter intro was perfect, and it was good to know there was much more detail available in the original book. I do think the illustrations are helpful in making this book entertaining and digestible. And I did find myself excited about the promise of these humane next-gen Teal organizations, even if the steps to get there are hard and far from clear.

Requisite caveats: This book is only an intro. Detail in the full version. Although trying to ground the material in specifics from existent companies, much of the content still seemed speculative and/or hand-wavy to me — perhaps not surprising given how few examples we have so far of Teal organizations and how young most of those organizations are.
167 reviews
July 22, 2019
5/5 - In a book selling frenzy, I intentionally planned to sell this book that I received as a gift from a previous company and never read. Thank god I decided to finally open and read it (and at the right moment, when I am quite confused with what to do with my professional life). It was enlightening and explained in a very simple and surprising manner of lot of things I was bothered with at work. It opens many doors for a new professional world. I do hope it will push many leaders to think differently as the Opale is not yet the new normal.
156 reviews2 followers
July 15, 2022
Laloux studies organizations and their structures. He has developed categories and assigned them colors, Red, Amber, Orange, and Teal. He skillfully explains each type and compares it to the others. Laloux' main interest is the organizations that self-govern, self-maintain, and are still evolving, which are colored Teal in his worldview. He provides ideas and examples of how to transition to such an organizational type. Anyone who works for or with an organization of any sorts would benefit from reading the book by becoming familiar how organizations operate at their core.
74 reviews
June 6, 2018
guerilla tactics to move your organization towards becoming teal: drop copies of this book at various desks in your organization, then watch and learn ;-)

the book is indeed a concise version of the more elaborate "reinventing organisations", but without losing any of its strength or power.

also good for those who need a refresher or inspiration for stories at your coffee breaks.

great book! thanks Frederic and all of your entourage that made this book happen as well!
Profile Image for Armin.
48 reviews2 followers
July 24, 2019
Einige interessante Ideen habe ich mitgenommen. Insgesamt bleibt mir das Buch aber zu unkonkret und zu wenig systematisch in der Herangehensweise und Beschreibung dieser neuen Methoden der Zusammenarbeit. Die Zusammenfassung für mich lautet: es gibt eine Handvoll Firmen mit sehr charismatischen Führungspersonen, die ihren eigenen Weg gehen und dabei erfolgreich sind. Wahrscheinlich sollte ich nun das ausführlichere, nicht illustrierte Buch lesen.
Profile Image for Thomas Vanh.
40 reviews4 followers
February 25, 2020
It's an interesting book that makes you think about new business models. However this model is explained and presented in the best light.

I think that there are potential dangers that the author has not yet presented. So what I would recommend is, read this book learn about self-organizing companies and also read counter arguments. So that you see the whole picture and not just fairy dust and rainbows.

However I enjoyed reading this book and I loved the illustrations.
Profile Image for Duyen Thanh.
10 reviews1 follower
June 27, 2021
Là một đứa thường trăn trở về việc "Trong môi trường làm việc chúng ta ai rồi cũng sẽ tạo cho mình lớp mặt nạ hay sao?", thì đây quả là một cuốn sách mang lại niềm tin cho mình, thế giới quan màu xanh ngọc cứ như dành cho mình vậy. Khao khát được làm việc trong mô hình này, nơi nhu cầu của người lao động được đặt lên hàng đầu chứ không phải làm việc như những cỗ máy kiếm ra tiền nữa.
Cuốn sách được viết rõ ràng, ngắn gọn, xúc tích, dễ hiểu.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 89 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.