Start by marking “Reinventing Organizations: An Illustrated Invitation to Join the Conversation on Next-Stage Organizations” as Want to Read:

The uplifting message of Reinventing Organizations has resonated with readers all over the world, and they have turned it, one conversation at a time, into a word-of-mouth phenomenon. The book has helped shift the conversation from what's broken with management today to what's possible. It is inspiring thousands of organizations--corporations and nonprofits, schools and ho ...more
Published June 30th 2016 by Nelson Parker

To ask other readers questions about Reinventing Organizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reinventing Organizations

Start your review of Reinventing Organizations: An Illustrated Invitation to Join the Conversation on Next-Stage Organizations
Jim Puskas
This book reminds me so much of some of the studies, initiatives, “breakthrough exercises” and so on that I suffered through during my 45 years of working for a number of different organizations (all but one of them in the private sector). I say “suffered through” because in every case, it became a frustrating experience because none of those exercises really succeeded in changing much of anything. There were various reasons why that was the case but I think the top reason was a lack of true com ...more
Quinton
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The point of this book is to help fix what's broken in today's organizational structures and management.
This is a light read, full of illustrations, but apparently gets to the point of the fuller text (which I haven't read).

The idea behind this book, is that there are different management paradigms that have been used over the years, and are still being used.

There's Red - the power structure. The most powerful is the leader, and he is boss. (Think organized crime). People serve out of loyalty a
Kim Wollesen
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book about next-stage organisations. It's not all that makes sense to me straight away since it is far from what we are used to in the modern business world.
However, the gut feeling about this shift in management practice is just unbelievably good, and I have a feeling that this is what the world needs in terms of leadership to save the planet!
Big words, but this is what we need in politics and modern society if we want to live a healthier more sustainable life.
Jordan Munn
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
The ideas presented are interesting ones, but compressing the original book into this illustrated version is a move in the wrong direction and blunt the message into a more condescending tone. This is not helped by the illustrations, which evolve into caricatures resembling chick tracts.
Zahin
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Bogdan Florin
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A new paradigm of organizational development. Laroux put together a framework to detach from hierarchies and approach cutting-edge collaborative styles.

Laroux describes what companies like Buurtzorg, ESBZ, FAVI, Morning Star or Patagonia have in common, and why they are different than the rest. The differences are explained from an evolutionary point of view and are colored-coded. It's super simple to understand the concepts due to the beautifully designed colored illustrations.

The new model c
Marcelo Bahia
Thank God I chose the illustrated shorter version of this. Another one of those “you should try this unusual approach and radically improve how your firm works” type of books who just overlooks the practical limits that specific circumstances and environments bring.

The book starts diagnosing everything that could be possibly wrong in modern companies, and of course your firm will have some of those too. Nothing out of the obvious, though. Yes, employee engagement is difficult. Yes, hierarchy and
Illya
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this very accessible, illustrated summary of Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness. As someone who’s not ready yet to get into all the fine details of “how exactly does this work,” this shorter intro was perfect, and it was good to know there was much more detail available in the original book. I do think the illustrations are helpful in making this book entertaining and digestible. And I did find m ...more
Emmawiz
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5 - In a book selling frenzy, I intentionally planned to sell this book that I received as a gift from a previous company and never read. Thank god I decided to finally open and read it (and at the right moment, when I am quite confused with what to do with my professional life). It was enlightening and explained in a very simple and surprising manner of lot of things I was bothered with at work. It opens many doors for a new professional world. I do hope it will push many leaders to think dif ...more
Fiikske
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
guerilla tactics to move your organization towards becoming teal: drop copies of this book at various desks in your organization, then watch and learn ;-)

the book is indeed a concise version of the more elaborate "reinventing organisations", but without losing any of its strength or power.

also good for those who need a refresher or inspiration for stories at your coffee breaks.

great book! thanks Frederic and all of your entourage that made this book happen as well!
Thomas Vanh
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's an interesting book that makes you think about new business models. However this model is explained and presented in the best light.

I think that there are potential dangers that the author has not yet presented. So what I would recommend is, read this book learn about self-organizing companies and also read counter arguments. So that you see the whole picture and not just fairy dust and rainbows.

However I enjoyed reading this book and I loved the illustrations.
Carlos
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real hit this illustrated version. All the concepts, theoretical and practical, are very well resumed, and with an enjoyable use of art.

I love this version too because it's a wonderful way to give/lend/recommend to someone due to its "light weight"

A must (like the original book) in new management and organization
David Hutchens
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This resonates with what I’m seeing every day in my work with senior leaders and complex systems. The breezy text and compelling visuals make this a brilliant way to invite people into a broader conversation around new mental models for organizations. Really kind of brilliant. If you want to go deeper (and you will!) the author’s original book is your next step.
Igor Đukić
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: accf-8-transform
Very engaging transformational book with a lot of illustrations for one afternoon. How to create simpler, more intuitive, more natural, way to do things in your team or organization - self-management, wholeness, evolutionary purpose. Great list of videos created by Frederic about HOW https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... ...more
Lassi Autio
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leadership
I think many would like this book a lot but for "engineers" like me it might not be that interesting. Illustrations in book are excellent and make the book quite easy to read and understand. I hope to see something like that in other books too. Especially coloring was nice. ...more
Delcho
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emba
Very captivating read about alternatives to conventional organizational structures and dynamics. It will be interesting to explore further how this new Teal Organization can apply to a 150-year old insurance company.
Toni Tassani
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-physical
A great summary of the “Reinventing Organizations” book, where you get all the basic ideas and full of inspiring illustrations. You can read it in very few hours.
I read it after the long one, and it has added no value to me apart from a refresher, and the beautiful illustrations.
Victoria Grape
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Currently birthing a NGO and a small farm enterprise, this illustrated guide to reinventing the way we think about, manifest and thrive in collaborative work has been immensely inspirational. Time will tell which iteration, or perhaps novel form, these ventures will take.
Karolina (plantreadrepeat)
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book explains something I have been sensing especially within myself, and also in some parts of the working world. I was just never able to properly describe it or put it into words. Recommending this to everyone still seeking for that job that makes them happy.
Jonathan Roseland
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Game-Changing, Paradigm-Shifting Growth Tool or Postmodern Nonsense...?
After reading this comic book and listening to Don Beck's Spiral Dynamics audiobook I'm really not sure.
4-stars for nice illustration and presentation of a complex topic.
John
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and assuring at the same time. A little pearl for sure.
Lee
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They should make illustrated summary versions of all business books like this!
Richard Roodt
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Interesting and fascinating read for those interested in Org transformation. An engaging and easy read, highly recommended. Times they are a changing, for sure.
Marc
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hoping to bring about these kinds of changes at work!
Florian Schöttle
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very refreshing and motivating view on a new type of organizations.
Alessandra
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
So much to contemplate in this book!
Alberta
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Study Circle (March 2020) and Teal Meetup. Great intro.
Adam Waters
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly thought provoking, well set out and engaging read.
Lance Willett
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an illustrated edition that is much shorter than the full book. You can also find Laloux on TED-style videos on YouTube explaining the same topics.

In brief: the world of organizations evolved as our cultures did, from primitive to open: red, orange, green, and teal.

Red groups are impulsive and fear-based. Archetype is a mafia or street gang. An example that him home to me:

More ordinary examples are the many small enterprises where founder-bosses do whatever it takes to succeed and get in
Kate
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The book addresses the idea of control in companies and equality in power. The challenge is the shift in thinking towards sense-respond and allowing those around us to be fully powerful.

• Brave New Work: Are You Ready to Reinvent Your Organization?
  • Holacracy: The New Management System for a Rapidly Changing World
  • An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
  • Living Between Worlds: Finding Personal Resilience in Changing Times
  • The Big Five for Life
  • The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership
  • The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance
  • Muôn Kiếp Nhân Sinh: Many Lives Many Times
  • Measure What Matters
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Für eine Nacht sind wir unendlich

News & Interviews

“This is how nature has worked for millions of years. Innovation doesn't happen centrally, according to plan, but at the edges, all the time, when some organism senses a change in the environment and experiments to find a response. Some attempts to fail catch on; others rapidly spread to all corners of the ecosystem. Reality is the ultimate reference.” 0 likes
“At an individual level, when life calls for change, we always feel a tensions, sometimes pleasant, sometimes unsettling. There are habits we have grown fond of; our identity is invested in certain situations. But when change isn't imposed from the outside, from above; when we personally feel powerful and responsible; when there is a safe space where we can have meaningful conversations about all of this...chances are that embracing change is somewhat easier.” 0 likes