Start by marking “The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes #2)

The Last of August

(Charlotte Holmes #2)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  9,948 ratings  ·  1,565 reviews
Watson and Holmes: A match made in disaster.

Jamie Watson and Charlotte Holmes are looking for a winter-break reprieve after a fall semester that almost got them killed. But Charlotte isn’t the only Holmes with secrets, and the mood at her family’s Sussex estate is palpably tense. On top of everything else, Holmes and Watson could be becoming more than friends—but still, th
Published February 14th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last of August, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenae
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  9,948 ratings  ·  1,565 reviews

Emma Giordano
Unfortunately, I did not love the sequel to A Study In Charlotte as much as book one. Truthfully, I don’t have many significant critiques, I just didn’t enjoy it as much!

CW: talk of substance abuse and rape, ptsd

I did enjoy the setting of the novel. The story ranges from England to Berlin and as Berlin is rarely a location featured in young adult novels, it was a breath of fresh air!

I was very frustrated by the dynamic between Jamie and Charlotte in the second installment. I adored their relatio
Obsidian
Spoilers for those who didn't read book #1. I suggest you read that first prior to reading this book.

I am so annoyed. Since I gave book #1 three stars, I hoped for another three star read or higher this time. But due to the lack of any mysteries to solve and just more teen angst and a love triangle that only one person was interested in (Jamie) I was over this book before the end.

I haven't read all of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories, but I never got from him a sense of disdain for Watson.
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Okay, I did not expect to like this even more than the first book. These characters have grown on me immensely. I love that both Jamie and Charlotte are both complex and dynamic characters. Their relationship is interesting and I'm enjoying the slow development. I also really liked that Charlotte narrated a portion of this book - it was great to read from her more clinical perspective. I absolutely never say this, but I would be so down for this series to be like 6 books.
may ❀
I REFUSE TO BELIEVE ITS LEGAL TO END A BOOK LIKE THAT WHAT THE HELL WHAT THE HELL WHAT THE HELL

RTC
chan ☆
turns out i'm still a sucker for men named jamie

it's hard to express the kind of love i have for these characters. brittany cavallaro seems to have plucked the sort of unrequited love i NEED in books, from my mind. few things are more satisfying to me than deep romanticization... and i'm thankful that this series provides.

this book takes our holmes and watson away from sherringford and across the atlantic to the corners of europe. we finally come face to face with august moriarty and an art for

“It seemed like a good idea at the time.”
“That’ll be written on a few tombstones before this is over,”

This was a YA mystery story featuring a missing uncle and some art forgeries.

Watson (Jamie) and Holmes (Charlotte) were okay characters. Charlotte did come across as slightly crazy at times though, and also seemed to have problems expressing her feelings.

The storyline in this was about a missing uncle a
mith
this book was such a disappointing mess. i don't even know what to say. half the time, i had zero idea what was going on; the other half, i was annoyed with charlotte and jamie, who i really wish was called james, and their mess of a relationship. (is it me or does anyone else think their relationship/friendship/whatever is so toxic? it's so unhealthy and messed up and god, yes, i know there are a lot of reasons for that, but honestly.)
Trina (Between Chapters)
Love the characters, but these mysteries aren't capturing me. :(

Audio: Good. Would recommend.
Dahlia
Ugh whyyyyyy do I keep doing these books to myself when I know they will only cause me physical pain

Oh right, because they are so fucking good and because I ship Holmes and Watson with the darkest, most vehement flame.

I can't even talk about this leave me alone bye
Jen Ryland
I must be honest: I didn't like this book nearly as much as A Study in Charlotte, the first book in the series. I really missed the boarding school setting, and I liked it better when Watson and Holmes were just getting to know each other. There was not a lot of recap of the first book to re-orient me, and I struggled to remember everything that happened in that book.

I also desperately needed Holmes and Moriarty family trees for reference. This book was filled with Holmes and Morarity siblings
Mackenzi
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series remains one of the smartest, boldest, most unique and subversive YA series out there. Brittany Cavallaro is a Holmesian genius with a Watson's sensibilities.

15/10, A++, would recommend.
Malanie
““““I’m a teenage girl. He is my boy best friend. We would be everything to each other until we couldn’t.””””

A Study in Charlotte : ★★★★⭐
The Last of August : ★★★⭐⭐

Just when I thought this relationship couldn’t get any more complicated and insecure, Jamie and Charlotte somehow manage to become TEN TIMES angstier and sad. The second installment is basically us watching our two detectives become…………….estranged. From one another!!!!! THEY'VE MANAGED THE IMPOSSIBLE. I didn’t want this for them!!!
✨    jamieson   ✨
You ever finish a book, open the goodreads reviews, scroll down, read some reviews .. squint in confusion .... read some more .. and just go ... what. Every single review, you're like, what the heck. Because that is me with this book. because apparently everyone else didn't like it as much as ASIC but oh my god, I liked it SO MUCH MORE.

“She smiled at me, that one particular smile I hardly ever saw, the one that could open padlocks, Yale locks, bank vaults, the one that was a trapdoor down into
Stacee
I wasn't in love with the first book, but I was intrigued and that's what got me to request this sequel.

Right off the bat, I was confused. There's a lot of people mentioned: all sorts of Holmes, Watson, and Moriarty family members and I had a hard time keeping track of who was who. And then the plot line...take all of those random family members, add an art forgery set up, several party scenes with quirky Europeans and shake. Repeat 3-4 times and serve with an ending that I'm still scratching my
Anne
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
It started well, but it didn't end well.
This story felt like it was trying to be clever, whereas the 1st book in the series -- A Study in Charlotte -- was clever.
The clues were intriguing and difficult to figure out, as they should be.
And it was a cohesive story ... until the art auction.
The art auction made no sense, and the ending made even less sense.
In my opinion, the entire plot collapsed under the weight of this illogical ending.

In the plus column, I loved the relationship between Charlott
abigailscupoftea
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Happy New Year, Jamie.” I got the chills because of how perfect that last sentence was, considering this was my first read of 2019! 🌟 I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I have grown so close to Jamie and Charlotte. The writing was so wonderfully done; I truly felt Jamie’s frustration towards Charlotte. The plot was a little slow at one point, but it picked back up when the POV switched. I always love knowing the thoughts of both main characters! I’m so excited to read the next book!
Maria
Allison
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

;_;

This was like ....the Skyfall of this series. Which is fine. And who knows, maybe book 3 will be even darker. The humor is also still there and still wonderful. Wait til you get to Elmira Davenport. *cackles*

Also, my Jamie and Charlotte feels are absolutely out of control.

Full review later.
Sophie
Sherlock Holmes retellings are a love of mine, and I adored Cavallaro's debut, A Study in Charlotte. As soon as I could, I ordered a copy of its sequel, and dove straight in.

In The Last of August, we meet our heroes, Holmes and Watson, spending their Christmas holidays between both their families. As soon as they arrive at the Holmes family manor in Sussex, they are drawn into intrigue when Charlotte's beloved uncle goes missing, and no one else seems that bothered. Obviously, Jamie and Charlott
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
“maybe this is what happened when you built a friendship on a foundation of mutual disaster. it collapsed the second things righted themselves, left you desperate for the next earthquake.”

after having enjoyed the first book so much, my expectations for this one were through the roof. the characters were developed so nicely and, finally, didn’t feel like such a copy of the original holmes and sherlock, but had their own colors and identity, which was really refreshing. i loved how we got to exp
Suzanne
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am thoroughly enjoying this series. I found this one to be more of a mystery and less predictable than the first book of the series. The progression between Charlotte & Jamie is moving at a good speed and I am interested to see what the next book entails for them.
Jess (Primrose)
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gah, was this ever raw! Can I say, I'm so grateful I only have a month to wait for the final book in the trilogy. Which has already been preordered within the five minutes of my finishing this book.

The dynamic between Holmes and Watson has always been a complicated, almost painful one. We saw this in book one and also saw growth in their friendship with their vulnerabilities being laid out. If we thought our beloved duo was vulnerable in book one... book two takes it to another place. As Watson
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 4.5 stars

What the heck was that ending?!

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

I received an e-ARC of this book from Harper Collins Children’s via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Trigger warning for mentions of rape, drugs and violence.

Critically
Plot – 4 out of 5 stars
I always feel like these books are over saturated because there is so much going on with the plot at all times. There’s mystery and suspense. It’s really dark a
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

CW: PTSD, kidnapping, sick family member, and remembering drug abuse and sexual assault

A Study in Charlotte - 4.5/5

As I expected when I wrote my First Lines Friday, I did finish it by the time it posted. So, you get to hear about this book two days in a row!

From the first chapter of A Study in Charlotte, I was hooked on the story and characters. This one? Not so much. It took a long time for me to get into it and right when I did, it felt like things we
The Last of August is book two in the Charlotte Holmes series. This series is YA contemporary mystery.

I would definitely recommend reading A Study in Charlotte first.

The narrator is 16 year old Jamie Watson (the great-great-great-grandson of John Watson). The other main character is Charlotte Holmes (the great-great-great-granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes).

When the book begins it is late December and Jamie and Charlotte are in England. They are on Christmas/winter break. I was actually a bit sad
Patty
I don't have much to say about the book. But this was not the direction I wanted the story to continue in, and I couldn't wait to be finished so that I could move onto other books. So I don't think I'll be continuing this series after all.

I found myself comparing this one a lot to book #1, and I missed the boarding school setting where it felt like I had a better grasp on the characters. The first book tried to guide you a little bit in how this retelling of Holmes fits with the original charac
Carla
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It makes me so sad somehow, that this book got such a "low" average rating here. And of course, I don't want to attack any of your opinions but I try to explain, why I love this series so much.

James Watson and Charlotte Holmes. Yes, I do like these two lost humans. And they are, in fact, human. But the thing is, they are always fighting to be better. They don't just give up and try the best friend thing with somebody new. I really can't describe it, because it's so perfectly realistic.

I actual
Ashley Brooks
The follow up book to A Study in Charlotte didn't disappoint, but it did feel a bit disjointed. There was a lot going on plot wise and a lot of new characters added, which made it difficult to follow at times. For me, the relationship dynamic between Holmes and Watson just isn't working in this book.

I really enjoyed parts of the mystery, went "huh?" at others and overall I really enjoy Charlotte's version of "Sherlock Holmes."

Thank you to Harper Collins and Edelweiss for providing me a copy fo
Kayla
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The late of August

4 stars

Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson are back with a new mystery and they must solve it. They will have challenges like detective stuff and even just relationship problems.

CHARACTERS-
Charlotte was a bit weird in this book. She felt different and almost distant and she said some things that were questionable.
Jamie is a great choice of a narrator and it was great to see the story from him.

ROMANCE-
I ship Charlotte and Jamie so much. They are just destined to be and we all kne

• Watson and Holmes - A Study In Black
  • Trouble Makes a Comeback (Trouble, #2)
  • Mind Games (Lock & Mori, #2)
  • Mystery & Mayhem: Twelve Deliciously Intriguing Mysteries
  • Der Brenner und der liebe Gott (Brenner, #7)
  • The Lost Girl of Astor Street
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 6: The Life of Gwen Stacy
  • Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)
  • The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Map of Fates (The Conspiracy of Us, #2)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Zora and Me (Zora and Me, #1)
  • Girl in the Window
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • Wade and the Scorpion's Claw (The Copernicus Legacy #1.5; The Copernicus Archives, #1)
  • Black Ice (Young Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
Brittany Cavallaro is a poet, fiction writer, and old school Sherlockian. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the Charlotte Holmes novels from HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books, including A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE, THE LAST OF AUGUST, and THE CASE FOR JAMIE (forthcoming in March 2018). She's also the author of the poetry collection GIRL-KING (University of Akron) and is the recipient of a ...more

Charlotte Holmes (4 books)
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes, #3)
  • A Question of Holmes (Charlotte Holmes, #4)
“I tended to spend too much time with my favorite things, loved them too hard until I wore them down. After a while, they became more like a shorthand for who I was and less like things I actually enjoyed.” 11 likes
“It’s strange to grieve for your former self, and still I think it’s something that any girl understands. I’ve shed so many skins, I hardly know what I am now—muscle, maybe, or just memory. Perhaps just the will to keep going.” 5 likes