Start by marking “Ravina the Witch?” as Want to Read:
Ravina the Witch?

Ravina the Witch?

Once upon a time, on the coast of a tiny European country, there was an enormous cloud of toxic fumes. In this cloud lived a young girl named Ravina. And she is about to be unleashed on the human world!
A bewitching and beautiful tale of an orphan girl who was raised by crows in a trash heap. One day, a dying witch gifts her with a mysterious magic wand and her life change
Published June 6th 2017 by Titan Comics (first published September 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Ravina the Witch?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravina the Witch?

Miriam
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic

A girl grows up in a giant trash dump, speaking the language of the crows.
Finally, another human appears on the scene, an old woman who has been tortured to the point of death on suspicion of being a witch. Ravina cares for her, but cannot save her or understand the message the old woman tries to pass along.

Later Ravina is captured/adopted by humans and learns their ways, but by then she has forgotten the old woman's words. Until a grateful cross-dresser (view spoiler)
Josh Firer
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this one. It reads like a fairy tale picture book for adults. The illustrations are beautiful and the general style is unique.
honeybean
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
<3 <3 Perfection. The story of a girl who lives in an enormous garbage dump with crows and gets a magical wand. The illustrations are stunning, the story is cute, adult, and funny. Adore this <3
Yvonne Olson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book are gorgeous. GORGEOUS.
This also reads like a fairy tale in a way, and I loved that.
But yeah, the illustrations sold this on me.
Marc
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I could get lost in Mizuno's artwork for days on end. It's this wonderfully hypnotic cute-erotic blend that seems to bask in a bad Euro-Japanese acid trip. This slim volume tells the story of Ravina, a young girl raised by crows in a landfill. She gains magical powers by easing the pain of a naked old woman, gets "rescued" by a wealthy gentleman whose spanking fetish she tires of, and runs off only to end up in a drinking contest with a king. Her work reads like a dark, adult fairy tale undercut ...more
BriKie
This has beautiful artwork that is a blend of erotic, cute, and almost fractal. Seriously, the artwork is gorgeous!

The story that accompanies it recalls fairy tales, with a series of mostly unrelated adventures undertaken by a beautiful young woman. There are definite threads of feminism in this work and as much as I appreciated that, I wasn’t much impressed with the story itself.

Also, FYI - this is most definitely geared towards older teens and adults, NOT children.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was originally drawn to this because of the beautiful art on the cover, but the story inside was very different from what I was expecting. It was magical and dark like an original Grimms fairy tale and I really enjoyed it!
Megan
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art is amazing. I flipped through the pages three times just to appreciate it (and I'll probably look at all the pages some more before I return it to the library). Then I googled Junko Mizuno so I could appreciate more of her art.
zuzqaa
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
beautiful book, almost fairy tale, with a little twist. really pretty.
Lindsay
Definitely beautiful even if it's not quite my thing. I did like the subversive undertones to it.
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super weird. Like. Really weird. But my kind of. Beautiful art. Great production value, seriously the paper stock is stellar. Again, very weird.
MaRubin
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I'll admit I had never heard of this book when I grabbed it from the library but the cover and title sealed my fate. For such a small book, it sure packed a punch and while the story was odd to say the least, the artwork was truly beautiful and made it completely worth the read.

In this graphic novel, Ravina is an abandoned girl living in a garbage dump and being raised by crows. One day, when the dump is being cleaned up for redevelopment, Ravina is found and is adopted by a rich old man. Let's
Reni
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I've been a fan of Junko Mizuno since the first time I found Tumblr. The Internet would have you believe that her work can only be found with the aid of a passport and a tour guide. When I spotted this book at a local comic book store (Free Comic Book Day is always worthwhile), I knew that it was worth any cost. As my first real foray into the work of Junko Mizuno, Ravina the Witch did not disappoint.

Ravina is a lone girl living in a dump with only the crows. When she meets and cares for an elde
Donna
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ravina, an orphan living in a landfill, receives a magic wand from a dying witch.

This book is a total head trip! The artwork is absolutely amazing - stylized, mostly dark with color used as accents, cartoony, with lots of casual death and suffering thrown in. (Look - here's a dead body with maggots, but that's ok, no big deal!)

Ravina's trip through the human world was entertaining and I never knew what was coming next. This book is definitely for adults - Ravina can only perform magic when she'
Brandi
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I saw a new Junko Mizuno book coming out I had to have it. I thought it would be a manga like a lot of her other works but this is a full color story book. Almost like a children's book, only one where the main character gets drunk a lot to use her magic and gets tortured for being a witch. I love Junko Mizuno's art which is some crazy hybrid of 80s toys, a tiny bit of anime, and the grotesque. Though this books is lighter on the grotesque than a lot of her other works. Still, full of wonde ...more
Kate
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ravina lives in a garbage dump and is raised by crows. One day, when she is still a little girl, an old woman with needles stuck all over her comes to dump. Ravina helps her and she is given a magic wand for her kindness. When some men come to develop the land the dump is on some years later Ravina finds herself out in the world and it is weird. Wonderfully weird.

The best part of this odd little tale is the artwork. Junko Mizuno's work is beautiful, dark and gorgeous and demands a second reading
Malcolm
Blended traditional fairy tale elements such as a king's contest and a chance encounter with a witch with odd twists like Ravina only being able to work magic with the witch's wand when drunk. Being put to work as a dominatrix by the wealthy man who rescues her from the trash dump was pretty original as well. A short, uncomplicated tale with passable quality artwork. I'd consider reading more by this author but this is the only title the local library has.
Anne Wi
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was funny and fantastical. However, I would not recommend it for those 12 and under due to Ravina "whipping the bare bottoms of men and they enjoy it." Also in order for her to use her powers she has to drink alcohol and get drunk. These themes may be objectionable to some parents. I do still think it's a good read though.
Jessie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vanessa
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it

Lovely illustrations; I would have loved to have been able to feel the textures!

With the exception of a few scenes, this books could be suitable for teens. But due to nudity and sexual slavery (it doesn't get too deep into, but as an adult...)... it might be wise to check to see how suitable it is for your specific teens.

great commentary on women and our "place" in society.
Woowott
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God, Mizuno-sensei's art is glorious and weird, just like this nuts story. But that's not surprising. I was introduced to her art through the sadly dead hardcopy magazine Shoujo Beat, which I miss terribly. She did the zodiac illustrations for the magazine. Be prepared for weird storytime and weird, beautiful, adorable, messed-up art.
Victoria Maria
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Ravina, a girl raised by crows who is one day taken away. All she wants to do is good, and yet her actions are returned through cruelty and insolence. It was both beautiful and upsetting. It was also a joy to experience Junko Mizuno’s artwork.
Annathalia
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark fairy tales are such fun and Junko is one of the best artists for this theme. Her style is fitting to the bizarre nature of the story and her execution of the artwork is something you can gaze and study for a while.
Naomi Wilson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The art is gorgeous and magical, I could stare at it forever. The story is an adult fairy tail about a girl who lived in a junk yard then gets turned into a witch that goes around getting drunk and helping people. Funny, dirty, witchy and PERFECT.
Madison Vessels
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
First, the art is Amazing!! I loved it. Very artistic, very well drawn.

The story itself was strange, a little dark which matched well with the art, and an easy read. While its by no means my favorite, I loved the art and the story, while strange, was cute.
Ashley N.
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The art was beautiful and an absolute reason to read through this story. Each page felt rich with texture even though the page was smooth. This felt like a modern-ish folk tale, but not for children.
Tabor
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute with pretty fantastic artwork but overall I was expecting more from this little tale.
Arielle
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great art. A little dark, okay kind of super dark. An outsider look at life.
Anna
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
creepy, cute, weird and witchy, this is just me in book form tbh 💁🏻♀ ...more

• The Autumnlands, Vol. 2: Woodland Creatures
  • Singularity 7
  • メイドインアビス 3 [Made in Abyss 3]
  • The Ghost, The Owl
  • Girls With Slingshots, Vol. 3
  • A Land Called Tarot
  • Okko: The Cycle of Earth (Okko, #2)
  • Arclight
  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • The Ring of the Nibelung
  • Your Black Friend
  • Bizenghast, Volume 8 (Bizenghast, #8)
  • Sharaz-De
  • Walking Your Octopus: A Guidebook to the Domesticated Cephalopod
  • Geis: A Matter of Life and Death
  • The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 7: Mothering Invention
  • The Fox (Love, #2)
  • Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral
Junko Mizuno (水野純子 Mizuno Junko) is a Japanese manga artist.

Mizuno's drawing style, which mixes childish sweetness and cuteness with terror and erotica, has often been termed a Gothic kawaii or kawaii noir style. However, Mizuno has stated that she does not feel comfortable about those terms, as she doesn't want to label her work with words because it keeps changing and is influenced by many diff