Start by marking “Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (Mycroft Holmes #1-5)” as Want to Read:
Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (Mycroft Holmes #1-5)

Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook #1-5)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
All new adventures starring Mycroft Holmes by author of the best-selling Mycroft series, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
This all-new graphic novel collecting issues #1-5 of Mycroft Holmes: The Apocalypse Handbook presents brand new comic adventures set in the world created by the author of the best-selling Mycroft novel series, and is perfect for fans of Mycroft Holmes and Sherlock
Published September 5th 2017 by Titan Comics

Sean Gibson
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
There’s an extensive, and ever-growing, library of Holmesian pastiche that explores the more obscure (or, if not obscure, at least less well trod (trodden?)) corners of 221B Baker Street. James Moriarty and Irene Adler in particular have benefited from this Cumberbatchian upsurge in love of all things Sherlock, as has Sherlock’s not-so-beloved brother, the even more intellectual, less socially capable, and impressively corpulent Mycroft Holmes.

Ah, but wait—Mycroft’s carriage in this adventure,
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Mycroft Holmes is an insufferable prick, who asspulls explanations in major infodumps and beds married women. I can't say he's clever because an author that has a character make up an explanation and infodump at a crucial time (after a bunch of needless action) isn't being clever. And if you go back to try to look at all the supposed details and can't find them in the panels, well, how am I the reader supposed to be expected to solve the case alongside the "hero"?

What makes this fa
Dakota Morgan
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I have to admit, I was largely curious about Mycroft Holmes due to its NBA superstar author. Like, how would that play into the writing? Answer: not at all. Which, in all honesty, is for the best here, since Mycroft Holmes takes place in Victorian times, well before basketball broke through.

Abdul-Jabbar's version of Mycroft plays off the line from the original Sherlock Holmes that Mycroft is the older, far more intelligent brother who works for the UK government. Naturally, this just means that
Darnell
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Reasonably fun adventure, but barely identifiable as a Holmes story. If the protagonist had been Sherlock instead of Mycroft, or a generic action hero instead of either, it would change nothing. Moriarty having a niece was a neat thought, but went unused.
Erin
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. Interesting artwork, but the story is cliched and choppy.
Linnea Gelland
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
***May contain spoilers***

I guess he thinks of himself as a lovable rogue, but he only comes off as the most irritating person you've ever met. He knows he's smarter than everyone else, he patronizes everyone and has no sympathy for anyone. Fine. That's how these Holmes-brothers often are depicted, and that's why we all love them. But the problem is that Mycroft doesn't have any redeemable qualities whatsoever here.

To take examples from a couple of screen adaptations; In "A Game of Shadows" Mycr
The Cannibal
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vous connaissiez Sherlock, le cadet et brillant détective, mais vous connaissiez un peu moins son frère, encore plus brillant que lui.

Vous aviez de Mycroft, l'ainé des Holmes, soit la vision d'un homme débonnaire comme dans la série Granada, ou celle d'un homme froid, appuyé sur son parapluie, dans la série de la BBC.

Ici, vous allez être dépaysé car vous serez face à un perpétuel étudiant de l'Université de Cambridge qui s'amuse à se foutre de la gueule de son prof de philosophie, qui gribouille
Madeline Wright
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely did not know what to expect here but it was very engaging all the way through. Mycroft in the BBC show is one of my fav characters, and it was my first MH exposure in non-ACD fictional fare. However this Mycroft was not like the other.

I thought the version of Mycroft was full of himself and kind of insufferable all the way through. Which is probably a more accurate portrayal that we don't really get from the BBC show. Seems to me that TV!Sherlock is aware of this version of his brothe
Dan Clark
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is not a name I expect to see in relation to a comic book, but hey it's a crazy world so why not. No this isn't a basketball story, or a story focused on Abdul-Jabbar more activist causes. No this is a rather fun fictitious romp taking place in a steampunk world full of secret cults and end of the world stakes. To be honest, it took me longer than it should to realize Mycroft Holmes was the old brother of the more infamous Sherlock, but he works as his own character. He is ba ...more
Ross Vincent
I wasnt sure what to make when I learned Kareem Abdul Jabbar had written a Holmes novel.
But when l learned it was about Mycroft - the Holmes brother we dont see that often in literary- I figured "what harm could be done?"

WOW- I cant believe how I missed out on this.
I havent read the book from the series - a mistake that will be remedied real soon - but given this first taste, I am sure to make up for that.

If Sherlock Holmes is a man of mystery and action, then Mycroft is a Secret Agent extraor
J.
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid and enjoyable comic. I mostly picked this up because I was curious to read something Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had written, and I really enjoyed it.

This is a prequel to Sherlock Holmes in a way and mostly focuses on how Mycroft came to join the British secret service. He's a very over the top character and a total philanderer, unlike his brother who is notoriously clueless about women. But that aside, the story does read like you'd expect a Holmes story to read in terms of how Mycroft ties thing
Kathy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, graphicnovel
Sherlock gets all the fame, but this is the extremely adventurous origin story for his smarter and more obnoxious brother Mycroft. The use of color to differentiate flashbacks was well done. Teens will like the adventure, but this is as bloody as The Watchmen, with multiple beheadings, disintegrating living people, and more. Interesting half-black, half-Cherokee gorgeous American sidekick. Given how he is depicted in the Sherlock stories, I wonder how he went from unflappable gambler/womanizer/p ...more
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
I enjoyed Adbul-jabbar's Mycroft Holmes, in which the other Holmes brother is portrayed as a brilliant ass who sometimes shows compassion and regard for those around him, but this depiction is of someone who is smugly condescending to everyone at all times. I don't have to love every main character, but it's exhausting trying to find something redeemable in someone so asinine - I pretty much didn't care what happened to him. The Irene Adler character was the best thing about the book. Thankfully ...more
Mouse
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Decent concept, bad execution! Sherlock Holmes's older brother Mycroft, mixed with James Bondian, and Steampunk? It all makes for a bit of a mess unfortunately.
The worst thing is that in all canonical Holmes books Mycroft is mentioned as being rather plump, out of shape, and not very driven. So seeing him acting like James Bond bedding women, fighting, and jumping off buildings and such, just isn't a good fit. They had a chance to do something fun by using an atypical hero and instead just went
Lara
Okay, okay, I get it, this is not really canon Holmes, but honestly? I wasn't looking for that and I thought it was fun just seeing Sherlock from a different perspective. And, I mean, it's the comic book equivalent of an action movie, so I also wasn't expecting any mind-blowing twists or deep thoughts. It's just "witty" banter and one-upmanship (is that actually a word?) and explosions and ass kicking, which was about all my brain could handle yesterday. I'd read more!
Nicollette Winiewicz
I have not read the book that this character was based on yet, so it would be interesting to see how much more the character is developed and hopefully see some more Sherlock in the process! But great plot overall!
Daniel Cornwall
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not for children but very well done. Really appreciate the characters of Mycroft and Lark Adler. Fun steampunk feel and good rationale as to why having super deduction skills can bore you out of your skull.
Jen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, a little more graphic than I originally anticipated but it isn’t gratuitous.

I have not read any of Abdul-Janbar’s other books but I have wanted to. I think he did a good story here and hope it continues.

The detective version of James Bond?
Sara Q
Fun twist on the Mycroft Holmes character, here as a young man. Disappointed in how man-centric it was, even though there was potential in the Miss Adler character for so much more. Pulling in devices from other period stories might bring me back for more when the next volume is released.
Ashley Halbardier
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting. A little vague on some parts but entertaining story. Mycroft is a unique character. Hopefully the next volume will be great as well.
Lesley
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A wild west adventure featuring the less featured Holmes brother, Mycroft.
Joshua
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a stellar piece of intrigue and action. The art was done very well and showed the grit of the time. Im eagerly looking forward to the next installment of Mycroft Holmes.
John
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gruesome fun. A radically different characterization of Mycroft.
Peter
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5

The League of Extraordinary Mycrofts. Clearly the authors have a knowledge and love of the source material.
Crystal Hasemann
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-book
I hope there will be more coming.
Mark
Colors: 3.5 of 5
Letters: 4 of 5
Heather
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 amusing story, steampunk-Holmes universe. Mycroft is an interesting character, but a little too much over-sexed rogue (to contrast Sherlock’s almost asexuality) for my liking.
Yikes....if you were a fan of Abdul-Jabbar's book, this is NOT the same thing, in tone, tenor or action. This version of Mycroft is less intelligent and insightful than he is just a plain old arrogant ass. It's like they took the character from the book, took the Sherlock from the Moffatt series, used only the WORST of each's characteristics and traits, and created this monstrosity. I kept hoping that it would get better, and it didn't. Ended up being a predictable, disappointing mess.
ERIN SCHMIDT
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Mycroft Holmes, in this original story in graphic novel form, is a smug little sh*t. I love him.

He's not quite the same character as in the mystery novel Mycroft Holmes - he has a different back story with a different fiancee - but he's still his annoyingly superior, know-it-all self, and he's still quite competitive with little brother Sherlock.

This is an all-new adventure involving a cache of sci-fi weapons and an evil plan to auction them off to the highest bidder. Queen Victoria wants to be
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. on April 16, 1947 in New York City, New York, United States) is an American former professional basketball player and current assistant coach. Typically referred to as Lew Alcindor in his younger days, he changed his name when he converted to Islam.

Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (5 books)
  • Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (Mycroft Holmes #1)
  • Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (Mycroft Holmes #2)
  • Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (Mycroft Holmes #3)
  • Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (Mycroft Holmes #4)
  • Mycroft Holmes (Mycroft Holmes #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • The Ministry of Fear
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother