Start by marking “Manhattan Transfer” as Want to Read:
Manhattan Transfer

Manhattan Transfer

When aliens abduct New York City, carrying it into space inside a huge dome, the citizens trapped inside must find out why and what they can do to save themselves and dozens of other cities which aliens have stolen from other planets. A stunning tour-de-force of science fiction and storytelling with gripping action, believable characters and a plot that will keep you on th ...more
Published August 1st 2016 by ReAnimus Press (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Manhattan Transfer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manhattan Transfer

Jamie
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I won this book in a giveaway and here is my honest review. I decided to leave my reading comfort zone of YA/Thriller/Suspense etc. and enter the Sci-fi genre(after being away for a few years). Oh how I wish someone had stopped me!
From the very first page it was as if I stepped into Stephen Kings 'Under the Dome' book. Makes one wonder which author wrote about the "dome" first?! hmmmm
The story drags on and on at a slow pace. The characters are whiny and I couldn't connect with them at all.
I am h
John
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
2017 grade A-

A very good hard SciFi novel with good world building, character building, and story telling. Manhattan is extracted like a tooth by a large alien ship and taken aboard. Can the residents figure out what is going on and save themselves and everyone else? I could have used a little more wind down at the end and a little less of the fanatic preacher but I'm only being nit picky. The opening chapter(s) of the extraction can seem long and a bit gory but most of the characters are being
Marc
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers, sci-fi fans, people who can suspend disbelief easily
What a cool sci-fi book - a quick read that I could hardly put down. Plenty of twists. Stith gives humans a lot of credit for ingenuity...perhaps too much at times, but it really helps the story along. I subtracted a star for the ill-considered insertion of a religious-wacko stereotype. It was quite obvious that the author had absolutely no sympathy for this character, which made him seem lifeless and robotic - a hopeless token in an otherwise exciting book.
Patrick Scheele
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is hard SF the way it should be written. I'm going to be extra careful not to add any spoilers, because this book is actually worth reading unspoiled. A lot of the surprises had me genuinely surprised.

What I liked in this book that so much other SF does badly:
* We meet a team of people that actually works as a team to solve problems. There's no drama or tension or other extreme emotions on display. They know people are counting on them to do their job and they do it. What a concept!
* A
Kingcuke
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a lifelong fan of SciFi this book delivers everything a good science fiction story should.
Combining alien invasion with apocalyptic survival dependent on engineering skills, with enough characterization to support the story line.
A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Stephen
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
John Stith's "Manhattan Transfer" was first published in 1993 and has been reissued this year by ReAnimus Press. My copy was a free copy for review on Goodreads. The basic plot is fairly straightforward: Manhattan is abducted by aliens and those living in Manhattan decide to do something about it. Or, as the jacket says, "Aliens just kidnapped Manhattan. They messed with the wrong city".

Stith's take on this is pretty straight up if not downright overly technical. Consequently, the book seems to
Nicolas
Manhattan transfert est un roman de John Edward Stith qui part de prémisses épatantes. En effet, dans ce récit largement inspiré par l’antique quatrième dimension, Manhattan se retrouve emporté de la surface de la Terre par d’étranges extraterrestres. une fois le transfert effectué, plus de communication entre l’île et le reste de la terre, un sol désespérément plat, une bulle entourant ce quartier, sont tout ce que les new-yorkais voient de leur environnement. Bref, ça part très bien. Pour être ...more
Joseph Carano
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this novel in a Goodreads give away. I am a sucker for science fiction stories that are not overly complicated. This offering fit the bill. Great story and plot kept me reading non-stop. My only problem was that the characters were a little bit too ordinary and cookie cutter. Other than that, a very good read.
Timothy Stelly Sr
I purchased a copy of this book after another reviewer at amazon.com wrote that my own novel was reminiscent of it. The story is a survivalist tale of Manhattanites who are whisked away from earth underneath a plastic dome and to a vast alien space ship, where they find the same has happened to many other cultures from various planets.

The story centers on former military man Matt Sheehey, who leads a group of engineers and scientists working to figure out the problem. They make contact with seve
Nikosal
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in my android / kindle device.

My first thought discovering this sci-fi title was "hmmm... it looks really difficult to handle such a story" and it proves so, with Stith so-and-so successful on the task.

(view spoiler)
J.H. Glaze
The story in this book started out with a really cool premise. Manhattan is cut from the earth and taken into space where it is covered with a dome and placed among a collection of cities from various planets inside of a large ship.

Cool.

Problem is, if people are freaking out about it, nobody is acting that way. In fact sometimes the dialog seemed to be there just because dialog was expected and when things happened that should have elicited shrieks and screams. People just talked about it.

I fin
Robert
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A recent visit to a new sci-fi film (my first in a long time) reminded me of this book. The island of Manhattan is abducted by alien spacecraft. That's right, the whole island! It takes a lot to phase New Yorkers. So the title and the conept interested me right away. Unfortunately, there are way too many metaphoric sci-fi cliches to make this story special. As I read the story, I knew I had seen something like this before in other books and films. I still found it entertaining enough to finish, ...more
Hannah
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I won a copy of this book in a goodreads giveaway.

3.5 stars. I found Manhattan Transfer to be an overall enjoyable read. There were several sections in the middle that dragged a little for me because there was more detail than I would have liked about certain things, and less detail than I would have liked about others. That being said, I never felt like I didn't want to continue reading and I was always excited to get back to it and see how everything would work out. I really enjoyed it. I was
Joan Cornish
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an old book (1993) but since it is science fiction it didn't appear that dated. Interesting premise- a gigantic space ship comes along and using lasers cuts loose Manhattan island. The resients find themselves under a huge dome on a vast gray plain. In the distance they can see other domed cities whose residents do ot seem to be human. Where are they and what are they there for will soon become evident. An easy read, I read it in an evening.
Simeonberesford
Now available as an ebook it was originally conventionally published. ebooks are its natural home I dont think its good enough to be in print. There are tons of books that nearly made it, here is another.[return]Mannhatten is cut lose from earth by alien spacecraft. [return]Wooden characters and a menace that seemed to change in size and power as the plot requires much as King Kong did in the original film.
Baldurian
L'idea alla base de La città sull'orlo del nulla è semplice e accattivante: perché degli alieni dovrebbero rapire uno stupido bovino quando hanno le capacità tecnologiche per prelevare l'intera isola di Manhattan?
Stith imbastisce un romanzo coerente e stimolante dal punto di vista (fanta)scientifico, peccato solo per il mancato approfondimento dei personaggi e per la brusca accelerazione della trama da circa metà libro.
Mimi
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book - Manhattan being hijacked by spider-like aliens - and the ensuing action just didn't really work for me. I think if someone has never read science fiction or space opera, this might be a good introduction however.
Sheena
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, sci-fi
1st) I received this as a Goodreads Giveaway.

Now, I wouldn't call this horrible or bad, not even boring. It simply did not grab me enough to demand my attention over the other books that are collecting on my to read stack. Perhaps I will com back to it later.
David
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Although there are some weaknesses in the internal logic of the story, it's a concept that can prompt some thought on threaten worlds, "endangered species" preservation and the possible varieties of intelligent species.
Don
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
This is a typical swash buckling, humanity above all, hegelian eventuality, despite our flaws (religiousness) we have that thing that will make us succeed hard core science fiction. Too much hard core for me, though I found it interesting and somewhat enjoyable, despite it's cliched story line.
Joe  Noir
May 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea, but a real tough slog to get through. The scenes where the heroes are tunneling through the "clay" that makes up the new base that Manhattan rests on, go on forever.
Orange
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very reminiscent of a lot of the sci-fi I read in the 70's. Not hard-core science - just a fun sci-fi story line.
Cassandra
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this through good reads first reads for free

This book is interesting and entertaining. It is worth reading especially if you are into sci-fi
Neil Biddulph
Aug 31, 2013
DrZ
Jul 18, 2017
Martin Mcgrath
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2014
Carl
Sep 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• In the Company of Others
  • Foreign Legions (Earth Legions, #2)
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
  • The House That Stood Still
  • Plague from Space
  • The Return
  • Saturn's Race
  • Long Lost Song
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
  • Dreamships
  • The Military Form (The Vang, #2)
  • Life Probe

PUSHBACK , a brand new mystery-suspense novel, was published in November 2018.

PUSHBACK : At his ten-year high-school reunion, an investment counselor finds he doesn't know one person there, and soon realizes he must outwit an unknown antagonist who wants him dead.

"...unsettling Hitchcockian thriller...Judicious use of humor provides some relief from the dark plot line. Fans of Daniel Palmer-esque