Start by marking “Fresh-Picked Poetry: A Day at the Farmers' Market” as Want to Read:
Fresh-Picked Poetry: A Day at the Farmers' Market

Fresh-Picked Poetry: A Day at the Farmers' Market

This collection of poems takes young readers to a day at an urban farmers' market. Who to see, what to eat, and how produce is grown--it's all so exciting, fresh, and delicious. Readers are invited to peruse the stands and inspect vendors' wares with poems like "Farmer Greg's Free-Range Eggs," "Summer Checklist," and "Necessary Mess."

Bright and vibrant, this is the perfect
Published March 14th 2017 by Charlesbridge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fresh-Picked Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh-Picked Poetry

Jason Gallaher
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great trip to the Farmers' Market through poetry. Schaub included every aspect that I love of visiting the market!
Nancy Cavanaugh
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book of poetry you'll want to read aloud!
Annie Silvestro
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this charming ode to the Farmers' Market! A beautiful collection of poems that tickles all the senses and has you wishing you could immediately head to the market. Combined with lovely illustrations, this book paints a perfect picture of what is always a wonderful experience.
Tasha
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Through a series of poems, take a visit to the farmer’s market. From the early work done by farmers long before their customers are awake to the market itself, this book celebrates one of the joys of summer. There are poems about how markets transform empty parking lots, the displays of heaped produce, the friendly sharing of samples, tempting baked goods, and the feeling of community that markets bring. It’s also a collection that celebrates the food too, the freshness of the produce and the bo ...more
Ann Santori
Really well-designed and illustrated book of lovely poems exploring vignettes at the farmer's market. Great diversity of gender/race in illustrations and text. Would work really well with young children if read immediately before/after a trip to the farmer's market -- helping them contextualize new vocabulary and experiences.
KC
This is a perfect book for squeezing poetry into summer reading. Filled with wonderful and fun prose all about farms, farmers, farmers markets, yummy and nutritious food, and neighborhoods.
Kerri Kokias
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book motivated my son and I to plan a trip to our neighborhood farmer's market. Ahh, the power of poetry!
Heather Preusser
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-pb
An inviting story where the form matches and enhances the content. It's sure to please treasure hunters of all types.
Katey Howes
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this beautiful book! Take a trip to an urban farmer's market, where families of all shapes and sizes celebrate the fresh, delicious choices, the sights, sounds and smells of market day! Michelle Schaub's nimble poetic voice dances us past baked goods, free-range eggs, roasting sweet corn, and so much more. Vivid imagery like "While you sleep/snuggles tight/farmers toil/by silver light" sits comfortably next to clever word play, onomatopoeia, and a veritable grocery list of frui ...more
Linda
Just in time, a farmer’s market celebration that’s as fun as you can imagine. With Michelle Schaub’s rhyming poetry varies as much as the vegetables, and sweet as all the fruit gives Amy Huntington a chance to illustrate the happiness of all the kinds of people who come to the market, including their dogs. The opening poem, “Market Day Today” is the welcome: “Farmers chat./Musicians play./A neighbor-/stroller-/dog parade.” Amy’s illustration begins with a truck full of the goods. They’ve risen ...more
Ms. Yingling
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Copy provided by publisher

Starting with a vibrant picture of a family on their farm, loading produce into a pick up truck, this book covers a day at a market from the perspective of a boy whose family is selling things and a girl who lives in the city and is visiting the market. There are poems representing various stall owners and how they set up their wares, and a wide variety of products are showcased. There is honey, baked goods, and a lot of delectable looking fresh produce. The poems also
Laura Salas
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
These fun verses capture fun and lovely moments from a farmers' market--the customer who always picks her produce from the bottom of the pile, tasting samples, eating sweet corn, getting caught blue-handed... I felt like the poems got even stronger and more inventive as the book went on, and the light-hearted art complements the poems well. Nice backmatter about why to shop at farmers' markets.

Would be great paired with Irene Latham's FRESH DELICIOUS, too!
Sandy Brehl
With humor, delightful word choice, colorful and diverse illustrations, and a variety of poetic forms, this day-at-a-Farmers' Market poetry collection unfolds with huge appeal. Forms vary, providing multiple mentor text samples, and each is an impressive poem of intricate rhythm, rhyme, and rationale. Pairing this with other rollicking romps is highly recommended, including April Pulley Sayre's Go, Go Grapes and Rah, Rah, Radishes.
Meg
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Summer is coming and so are thoughts about Farmer's Markets! This book of original poetry by Michelle Schaub entices children to think poetically about food and to attend local farmer's markets. The main character wakes up on market day and describes her visit to the event through poetry. Amy Huntington's illustrations add realistic watercolor pictures of all the market day participants. The author has even included reasons to attend farmer's markets and gives further resources at the end of the ...more
Heidi-Marie
Reviewing for CLAU long list. Nice. Actually better than I thought. I was worried it would be a bit more hipster and didactic. But this was a fun, understandable way to get a glimpse at what Farmers' Markets have to offer. I liked the different viewpoints represented as well. Human nature portrayed, too! Pictures worked well for the book. I think I have a whole star just for being unexpectedly much more enjoyable. Well done!
Brenda
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Whether you have been to a Farmer's Market or not, this book was delightful! It takes you on a poetical journey through the day, from the arriving and setting up, to being home with a bountiful variety of purchases. Two friends, along with their dogs, are portrayed making their way through the vendors and musicians, as well as lots of other people of all ages and types. It is a joyful celebration of a day at a Farmers' Market.
Phoebe
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
A lovely little book of farmer's market appreciation. Whether to inspire or to celebrate, I think young folk will dig both the rhyming poems --which are surprising, varied, accessible, and well-crafted-- and the on-going story in the illustrations, which is kids-eye-view and includes a misbehaving dog or two. A nice addition to a home library.
Jillian
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
As far as books of poetry go (which are not my favourite, as anyone who reads my reviews can attest), this one was fun. It really captures all the fun of a farmer's market and reminds me that I really should start going to the local ones once the weather gets nice again.

I wasn't sold on the zebra/kale one, though.
Gretchen
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is a delight from sunrise to sunset. Not only do Michelle Schaub's mouthwatering poems cleverly cover all things farmers' market, but Amy Huntington's illustrations weave the poems together in a friendship narrative between a country boy and a city girl and their dogs. Each page is a multi-cultural, multi-colored feast for the eyes that kept me smiling all the way through. Each poem is a juicy delight that had me wishing summer were already here, because Farmers' Markets here I ...more
Joy Keller
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful and fun (and delicious!) collection of poetry for kids. Because my village has a farmers' market every weekend, I ordered several copies for our school's poetry collection and can't wait for them to arrive!
Lynn
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lively bouncy rhymes depict all the sights and sounds of a farmer's market. Amy Huntington's illustrations add nicely to the fun. A great book for the classroom.

A page at the end lists all the reasons a farmer's market is a great choice.
Juliana Lee
Let the poems take you through a day at the farmers' market beginning with the early morning work of loading and setting up to the late afternoon good-byes and everything in between. Savor the sights, sounds, and especially tastes of a day at the market.
Charlene Conradi
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cvtc-kidlit
A beautiful book of 18 well-crafted poems, with fun and engaging use of language, rhythm, and rhyme. I smiled while reading the whole book. I would love to share this book with elementary students as a read aloud, but I think upper elementary students would love this book to read on their own!
Joan Marie
For farmer's market enthusiasts, this one's for you! Every single poem celebrates this treasured experience. The illustrations are delightful. The back matter, an added bonus. Another poetry book to add to my collection!
Alison Goldberg
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful collection of poems that immerses readers in the experience of a sunny farmer's market day. So many terrific moments describing tastes and sounds accompanied by terrific illustrations. Absolutely lovely!
Allison
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what I've been looking for! SO many cute and quick poems about the farmer's market. This is great because I do a program at my local farmers market and engaging kids for a story is hard but one of these poems is perfect and to the point!
Ms. B
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The title says it all. A book of poems about a local farmers' market. Learn more by visiting www.localharvest.org to find your local farmers' market.
Karen
A happy book about an excursion a lot of children would be familiar with!
Lindsey
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun!
A gentle, easy-read poetry book. My favorite was Wild Dreams in Two Voices!
MaryLibrarianOH
Poetry tour of all things you'll find at a farmer's market.