Start by marking “Set Lighting Technician's Handbook: Film Lighting Equipment, Practice, and Electrical Distribution” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Comprehensive. Detailed. Practical. Set Lighting Technician's Handbook, Third Edition is a friendly, hands-on manual covering the day-to-day practices, equipment, and tricks of the trade essential to anyone doing motion picture lighting. This handbook offers a wealth of practical technical information, useful techniques, as well as aesthetic discussions. The Set Lighting T ...more
Published March 17th 2003 by Focal Press (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Set Lighting Technician's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Set Lighting Technician's Handbook

Sita
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I had to read this book for class. It was actually quite well written with some anecdotes thrown in to make it livelier. My aspiring DP friend practically made this book his bible and I had to prized it off his deathly grip. I just gave it 2 stars because I just use it as reference. DP friend would probably gave it a 5 since he actually carry it with him everywhere.
Peter O'leary
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cinematographers, grips and electrics
Shelves: film-books
If you work as a grip, electric or cinematographer this is required reading. Exhaustive reference book for equipment specs, knots, protocol and anything else you might encounter or need to know on set. Of no interest to anyone else.
Bryantnaro
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The single greatest field guidebook for any filmmaker!
Harry Pray IV
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was stolen from me and I know who has it...TODD! Best book on lighting gear and film set stuff...ever....much better than the ASC manual.
Kellista
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and so useful...a must have for anyone interested in set lighting. Gives many diagrams, tricks of the trade, calculations, etc.
erock
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I learned what a best boy is.
I also learned that there is one lighting book in the world that is actually full of useful information instead of a bunch of boring 'creative/artsy/mumbo-jumbo'.
John
  • Grammar of the Film Language
  • The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
  • Film Lighting
  • Film Directing: Cinematic Motion
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition
  • A Man With A Camera