Start by marking “Afar” as Want to Read:
Afar

Afar

Boetema suddenly develops the ability to astrally project to other worlds, unintentionally possessing the bodies of people light years away.

Inotu, her inquisitive brother with a penchant for trouble, finds himself on the run after he’s caught eavesdropping on an illegal business deal between small town business tycoons and their cyborg bodyguard. When Boetema accidentally
Published March 29th 2017 by Image Comics

Start your review of Afar
Nnedi
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this. It was fun. And it was a joy to see African and Arab rooted characters just doing their thing. I also LOVED the creatures. The trips to other places were my favorite parts, though sometimes this took from the plot. The story was a bit choppy and jumpy. The art is BEAUTIFUL. At times the language felt very American slangy; I normally don't notice that (and I know that can be hard to avoid), but I noticed it here. It also reminded me way too much of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I ...more
Tyler J [They/He] Gray
Well that was fun. I already love the characters and feel bad for what they've gone through. Still kids but already with so much responsibility. And Boetema with her being able to travel to other planets while she sleeps, in other bodies. Inotu writing everything down in his notebook. I'm glad I read it. But...I want more. And there isn't more.
Shanna Miles
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m not a huge graphic novel reader, but I pick them up for time to time and I have to say that the cover for Afar was the main draw fro me. That beautiful brown face peaking out from a backdrop of planets and stars called to me: “Read me! Read about all of my black girl magic!” And, of course I had to answer the call. My husband, on the other hand, is a huge comic fan. He reads them on a regular basis and often takes trips to the comic book shop on release days to pick up new issues. He also ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
I loved the diversity in this one with the African and Arabic influences. The artwork and world-building were gorgeous and imaginative. Unfortunately, the ending felt incomplete, which was disappointing, considering it's a standalone graphic novel.
Nouruddine
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Quick Impression

How beautiful is this world?! I felt like I'm flying in a whole new world. I was just watching these wonderful creatures and the beauty of other realms.
Unfortunately, the plot threads are not too tied up together to complete the image perfection of this world.
Once I had felt attached with the characters, the end came too quickly.
I really wish to be there a sequel to this story.

I liked this myth!

50487696-2215051185382412-3307028713731784704-n

The constellation..

Paige
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Excellent idea that should have been a series not a graphic novel.

It's a bit like Quantum Leap but too alien worlds, the art work, design and creativity are all amazing. However character development is poor and the story just kind of ends with little really going on.

It's a good read but could have been so much more. If a Ongoing series comes of this I would read it and I do recommend this, but it fails to live up to its potential.
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
2 It had so much potential! Stars

I am so glad I read this graphic novel, let me be clear, for some reason my rating tends to be way harsher when it comes to the graphic novels, but is just because is difficult to satisfy my expectations. So when you see this two stars they may actually be higher on your rating scale.

I loved how Afar is full of diverse characters. The art was astounding, the color pallet made want to dig my fingers in the pages and to see if it was actually real or not. My
Chinook
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun graphic novel - a brother and sister, left alone by their parents, trying to find a home. Meanwhile, one is dealing with a new ability to travel into the bodies of other creatures on other planets and the other with overheating something he shouldn’t have and being put in jail for it. The characters are compelling and I really enjoy the artwork. The story confused me a couple of times, but overall it was really interesting and unique.
Raina
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the concept of this story - a sister and brother live in a world a twist off of our own, and she starts having dreams where she finds herself inside beings on other planets. I loved all of the other planets we get to visit.

I'm trying to remember why all of the professional reviews say this is a 9th grade and up title (it's been a few weeks since I read it). I'd like to booktalk it to middle schoolers, but like to use professional reviews to justify my age choices.

Seaton's illustrations
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

I don't read many graphic novels, but when I do I'll totally admit I pick them based on art. Afar caught my eye with its beautiful cover and upon flipping through the pages I knew I had to read it! I hadn't actually read the synopsis before I took Afar home (like I said, I choose based on art), so I was a little surprised when I realized it was about a girl who is able to astrally project during sleep. This is such a unique premise!

Boetema is the
Darth
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Here's another example of why an artist shouldn't write. That's not to say ALL artists can't write, but MOST fail to realize, like art, writing is a skill and it's not *easy*.

The artwork was phenomenal, but I cringed my way through the most cliche dialogue and the most white ass yuppie girl story ever. I bet this lady thought if she paired her white ass yuppie story with a "exotified" character, she'd win people over, instead she just ended up looking real presumptuous too.

I guess white people
Colona Public Library
This was really great story, interesting concept, and art. It's about a girl who astral projects when she sleeps. You get to see all types of worlds and creatures, when she learns she did harm to one of them she is searching to get back to them to try to help. Her brother who has accidentally gotten himself into trouble with the law, he is running away and is also gifted in engineering. This story is about them traveling and living together while their parents are struggling to make some money ...more
Francina Simone
I don’t know how I feel about this one yet, I like the art, the plot is okay, the writing was sometimes up and down....I think over all the story was enjoyable but at times it lacked the emotional depth I wanted but...only because the book is one issue?

If this were the first story in a longer series I’d totally keep reading because Itms a cool introductions to a very cool concept. But I feel like I need more!

Review to come on my channel.
Jaded Reader
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a 5 star until I realized it was a stand alone!!!
Beautiful, diverse, compelling, and absolutely addicting. However I felt my addiction ran dry far too soon. It HAS an ending, the ending isn't bad, but it feels so... unfinished? I hope that minds are changed and there is more, if so I'll revisit my tantrum and see if I cannot up it a star.
Dov Zeller
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Afar has a lot of wonderful moments but I think, in order to really be immersive, needed a bit of a longer storyline. I appreciated the characters and their relationships and predicaments and adventures. It just felt more like a beginning of a story.
Starlah
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story follows siblings Boetema and Inotu. Shortly after their parents leave them alone to go find work. Boetema suddenly develops the ability to astrally project to other worlds, unintentionally possessing bodies of people far, far away. In one of these instances, she accidentally gets someone hurt. Inotu, her brother, is smart and curious but has a penchant for trouble. He finds himself in trouble when he accidentally eavesdrops on a business deal. The siblings work together to not only ...more
BookishStitcher
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was everything I want in a graphic novel! Interesting story and beautiful art.

Afar is the story of a brother and sister trying to survive on their own have their parents have abandoned them for a few months to work in the salt mines. Yet, all is not what it seems the sister, Boetema has the special ability to astral project her sleeping self into other bodies on other planets.

I'm excited to read the next one!
Rachel
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Absolutely one of the most gorgeous graphic novels I've ever experienced. Interesting premise. Solid characters and plot. I hope we get more!

My Rating Breakdown

Intrigue: 3.5
Logic: 3
Enjoyment: 4

Overall Rating: 3.5

(for full details on this rating system see: my blog post)
Halle
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was first attracted to this book by its beautiful cover design and the hook: The Nameless City meets Star Wars meets Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant; all of which I've either heard great things about or already know are fantastic. Then I noticed it was written by Leila del Duca, who's artwork I fell in love with in the guest artist portion of the Wicked and The Divine, so what can I say, I was a sucker for this graphic novel. It was sooo sooooo good and unlike anything I've ever read. ...more
Stephanie
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this but I wish there was more? So much potential!
Lara
There's a lot that I liked about this one, the art especially, and the planet traveling. I liked Inotu and his monkey too. But certain parts felt very abrupt, and there are so many things left completely unexplained in the end, which is weird if there doesn't end up being any more of it. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!

So yeah, I hope Del Duca and Seaton do another one.
˗ˏˋ janet ˊˎ˗
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
KIT SEATON, you are so talented!! all of the characters are so beautiful! the art gave me micron w watercolor over it vibes and im living for it
Karen
A fun, well-drawn graphic novel about a brother and sister living in a futuristic (?) or foreign society that shares qualities with our own Middle East or North Africa. They lose track of their parents and strike out on their own, but older sister Boetema keeps astral-traveling in her sleep, while younger brother Inotu runs into trouble with the local cyborg militia.

The storyline gets a little attenuated, jumping back and forth between the siblings' real-world setting (which is already foreign
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely colorful book, set in the distant future, in a desert community where Boetema and her brother Inotu must make their way int he world while their parents have gone off to earn some money. The only problem is, Inotu has gotten in trouble, and Boetema keeps going on spirit trips every time she falls asleep.

The places are real, and she wants to go back to the same places again, but can’t figure out why. Meanwhile, the two have to keep alive.

Good story telling. Lovely pictures, as you can see
Kirsten
In a postindustrial desert, Boetema and her brother Inotu travel from town to town with their parents, who are always chasing the next scheme and often are just one step ahead of the authorities. When their parents leave the two of them to their own devices and head out on a three-month work stint, the money starts to run out and the siblings decide to strike out into the desert on their own. Boetema has also discovered that she can astral project while she sleeps, traveling to other planets and ...more
EPIC ART AND STORY COMBO!
I loved everything!
This would be an epic series!
I'm sad that its over cause I really want more!
Kayla Edgar
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A beautifully illustrated adventure with an interesting blend of mythological and sci-fi themes. Looking forward to hopefully reading a second vol.!
Nate
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Honestly, one of the worst things about this graphic novel is that it's a one-shot with no sequel. That's a pretty great place to start.

I'm always a sucker for inventive layered sci-fi stories with a lot of heart, and that trend hasn't been broken here. The main character's astral projection makes the narrative into kind of a frame story - the outer story follows Boetema and her brother and their attempts to survive in what feels like an Egypt style civilization with some higher tech from some
ReadBecca
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Boetema and her brother Inotu are left behind at home by their parents, who go off on a money making venture, the siblings mainly just try to get by and stay out of trouble. Unfortunately, Inotu tries to rescue a monkey from bullies one day and winds up bullied himself, pushed by the bullies into angering someone powerful so he winds up on the run. Meanwhile, every time she falls asleep, Boetema finds herself on another wildly different planet in an alien body, and she has no control over it. ...more
Selena
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part fantasy, part sci-fi, Afar is the story of a girl who can travel to other worlds in her sleep and "possess" people on those planets. This is a self-contained story that could easily lead to a larger series, and I'm both happy it's not going on forever and a little disappointed that it wasn't longer. Some loose ends get tied up a little too easily and abruptly, and were a bit unsatisfying, such as with Gorges Honso. Other things weren't explained at all when I would've liked a bit more to go ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • M.F.K.: Book One
  • Coyotes, Vol. 2
  • Toil and Trouble
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)
  • Taproot
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • LaGuardia
  • Arclight
  • Ladycastle
  • Coyotes, Vol. 1
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)