Start by marking “W.E.B. Du Bois: A Biography 1868-1963” as Want to Read:
W.E.B. Du Bois: A Biography 1868-1963

W.E.B. Du Bois: A Biography 1868-1963

The two-time Pulitzer Prize–winning biography of W. E. B. Du Bois from renowned scholar David Levering Lewis, now in one condensed and updated volume

William Edward Burghardt Du Bois—the premier architect of the civil rights movement in America—was a towering and controversial personality, a fiercely proud individual blessed with the language of the poet and the impatience
Published August 4th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published December 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about W.E.B. Du Bois, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about W.E.B. Du Bois

Start your review of W.E.B. Du Bois: A Biography 1868-1963
David Withun
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Robert
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to keep a dictionary at my side while reading. I could have glanced over the use of, what for me were lots of arcane vocabulary, and still been fine, but reading is learning.
Lewis's writing does justice to a towering intellect of his time. This book was a condensed version of a two volume work. I will be eternally grateful to Lewis for the condensed version, for I would never have attempted two volumes. As it is, this one is 700 pages.

Du Bois was a part of what was called "the talented t
Jeni Enjaian
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do not let the massive length of this biography or the dense phrasing of the narrative dissuade you from reading. It is well worth the read. Just budget plenty of time to read this book because it will take all the you budget and more.

Every American needs to read this biography if for nothing more than to rectify the white washing of history that so much of American history has undergone. I feel a little ashamed that I knew little if anything about all of the ongoing efforts of African Americans
Dave N
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very good, well written, very exhaustive biography. Anything you could possibly want to know about Du Bois is in here. That this is a shorter version of Lewis's two-volume biography of the man is mind boggling. I cannot imagine reading more than what's here. Not that his life wasn't interesting. It was. Not only was he a wholly unique individual, but his history hews so closely to the history of African Americans from the late 1800's to the 1960's that this biography serves as a parallel histo ...more
Jarred Goodall
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Lewis produced an exceptionally researched and combined narrative of a hard-working, exceptional, but somewhat controversial, figure in W.E.B. DuBois. I recommend this book for anyone interested in the P.E.G.S., associated with Civil Rights, from a magnificent minority's perspective.
Dale
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The deep racism of American society made it necessary for Du Bois to explore and embrace black Americans an identity in order to find the inspiration and self-respect to challenge white supremacy in its varying manifestations. Du Bois’s effort to reconcile or coordinate his multiple identities, as a descendant of enslaved Africans, an American citizen, and a cultivated and cosmopolitan citizen of the world, has made him, the representative American intellectual of the twentieth century.

A very d
Karen
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the condensed version of Lewis's 2 volume biography. Lewis did, I thought, an excellent job of placing DuBois in the context of the history of a people and his dreams of being the one to effect great changes.
Michael Leak
Solid book. Well researched. I am, however, indifferent to Lewis' analysis. He often makes questionable allegations - in my opinion.
Leta
Oct 12, 2017

• Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
  • Burn the Place: A Memoir
  • The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914
  • Full Dark House (Bryant & May, #1)
  • Joe Country (Slough House #6)
  • Hurricane Season
  • The Buried Giant
  • A Man With One of Those Faces (The Dublin Trilogy #1)
  • Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer
  • Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69
  • Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s
  • The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise and Crazier Demise of the USFL
  • Las muertas
  • The Souls of Black Folk
  • We Were Soldiers Once... and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle that Changed the War in Vietnam
David Levering Lewis is the Julius Silver University Professor and Professor of History at New York University.

News & Interviews